Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
16 Post subject: Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill is worrisome  PostPosted: Sep 11, 2006 - 02:06 AM

Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill is worrisome

Quote:
Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill currently under debate in the National Assembly has brought concern to international rights activists, saying it is against modern trends.

The executive members of government presented the bill to the house of representatives on 30 March and asked for its approval.

The bill is titled “Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act 2006”.

The bill provides for five years of imprisonment to anybody who “goes through the ceremony of marriage with a person of the same sex” or who “performs, witnesses, aids or abets” such ceremonies.

It also advocates the same penalty to any individual engaged in public or in private, in any form of advocacy or association supporting the rights of gays, lesbians, bisexuals or transgenders.

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill is worrisome  PostPosted: Sep 13, 2006 - 09:13 PM
Site Admin

I was doing some research on the reportedly proposed piece of legislation, but was unable to find anything confirming the report.

For example, the Bill in question was allegedly brought in on March 30, 2006 -- but the "Proceedings reports" from this day do not mention this Bill.

Alike, the list of 2006 pending legislation proposals does not contain such a Bill.

Anyone here who does have more information or feels encourage to perform a research attempt?

Feral
Post subject: RE: Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill is worrisome  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2006 - 02:10 AM

I was able to find a government mention of the bill in this PDF file.

The text of the bill is available here.

These references both date from the end of March and the beginning of April. The Senate noted it's first reading of the bill in May. In the same month, the House noted it's second reading of it. At this point, the House referred the bill to the Joint Committee on Women Affairs and Youth Development, Human Rights and Justice.

According to the Tide Online, "The bill has been slated for a public hearing by the House of Representatives in due course."

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Nigeria’s anti-gay marriage bill is worrisome  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2006 - 10:22 PM
Site Admin

Thank you, Feral.

The Bill itself is a rather confused piece of legislation: having introduced the "marriage" as a "marriage between a man and a woman" per definition, they should not be able to make a law against the "same-sex marriage", by clear logic. But of course they know that marriage is an institution which happens to be practiced by hetero- and homosexual couples, so they simply wish to outlaw what they don't want to exist. If the matter wasn't that serious, I would be amused by the phrase "'Same Sex Marriage' means the coming together of two persons of the same gender or sex in a civil union, marriage, domestic partnership or other form of same sex relationship for the purposes of cohabitation as husband and wife".

The Bill is very explicit in its punishment section (article 7 & 8 ), making any public gay life impossible in Nigeria (insofar there is one). I see only two possibilities how the final passing of this Bill can be prevented:

1) President Olusegun Obasanjo withdraws the Bill upon international pressure;
2) The Joint Commitee for Women & Youth, Human Rights & Justice recommends the House to refuse the Bill.

I have little knowledge of Nigerian politics, but it seems that the second option is not very likely to occure.

Feral
Post subject: professor: gay relationships create mental retardation  PostPosted: Feb 23, 2007 - 04:40 AM

As usual, Pam Spalding puts it best:

Nigerian professor: gay relationships create mental retardation

Quote:
I'm sorry, this is deranged. As the Nigerian government debates a bill to demonize gays, Friday Okonofua is the kind of "expert" showing up at public hearings. (The Tide Online [Nigeria]):

Quote:
About four per cent of Nigerians are involved in same sex relationship, Special Adviser to the President, Prof Friday Okonofua, has said.

Okonofa disclosed this at a public hearing on a bill to prohibit same sex marriage and relationship, organised by the House of Representatives Committee on Women Affairs, in Abuja.

...Such relationship, he said, had exposed those engaged in it to high risk of contacting sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), HIV/AIDS and cancer.

The same sex relationships, he said, caused mental retardation, depression and high tendency to commit suicide.

Comments over at Pam's blog suggest that Professor Okonufoa is a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Benin.

I am curious (can't help it)... this 4% figure sounds suspiciously like a figure quoted from the US Census Bureau. I think it would be quite surprising if someone did a survey and found precisely the same number of 'mos in Nigeria as there are in the US. Just simple problems of methodology would rather require the numbers to be quite different. All this talk of same-sex relationships causing depression and suicide... what confusion. While relationships of any kind can be troubling in the best of circumstances, I know of no correlation between having a same-sex relationship and depression. I don't think the subject has ever been studied. A LACK of relationships in general, especially romantic ones, is often implicated in both depression and suicide among gays. Now this mental retardation thing... this is a new on on me. Same-sex relationships cause mental retardation? Since when, and says who?

Really... the gay people have a great many industrious enemies who have (it seems) very little to do with their time other than concoct slanders against us. They've come up with quite a few. This is a new one.

Oh yes. Do me a favor, Professor: spout this nonsense over and over again. It will do your credibility a world of good.

Quote:
--"A mom catches her little boy playing with himself in the bathroom, and says 'if you keep doing that you'll go blind!'
The boy thinks a minute and says 'can I do it until I need glasses?'

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2007 - 01:54 PM
Site Admin

It seems, there is at least some opposition against the Bill in the Nigerian Senate. Whatever the true reasons, some senators spoke out against the passage of the Bill:

Nigeria: Anti-Same Sex Marriage Bill Before Senate
Quote:
The Deputy Senate President, Senator Ibrahim Nasir Mantu (Plateau State) who spoke after the Senate Leader said that he would have throught that the government would devote more time to "do things more important to the lives of our country than for it to propose this Bill.

"What the government is now doing is creating awareness to this thing and for us to create this kind of awareness, people may now want to start exploring it. Mr. President we have more serious things to do than to be working on this bill, I therefore urge that members should help me to kill this bill". Senate Chief Whip, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma supported Mantu and argued that "When you pass a law, it is meant to deal with a problem. My view is that the marriage act that we operate in Nigeria defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. As the deputy Senate President said, I think we should set this aside so that we can concentrate on the more important things we have to do".

Senator Daisy Danjuma (Edo South) said: "This is not an issue here right now. It is such countries that issues like this have been discussed in Parliament that it is an issue. The problems we should face now are national issues concerning us; this is not an issue for now. We should not make an issue and give it the relevance it does not deserve".

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Nigeria  PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 10:47 PM
Site Admin

An article [sponsored by the Nigerian Ministry for Information] slams the Human Rights Watch, explaining:

Odili administration and Human Rights Watch report
Quote:
The truth is that evil men abound everywhere, the US not an exception, and the NGOs not ruled out. It must be made clear that the fact that Human Rights Watch is based in the United States of America does not mean that the US as a people, or a government, share the opinions and agenda of the group.

We must make haste to inform our people how these NGOs or agencies operate. Just as some rich individuals are insane and cut up humans to please themselves, there are rich people who set up agencies to cause evil and harm. One would imagine what some people gain by working hard to discover viruses and pump them in the internet to cause havoc. Evil men have the resources to do anything.

I could wringe in laughing, if I didn't know they are deadly serious. Even being concerned about the gay Nigerians first, I can't dismiss the notion that times will turn evil for all Nigerians pretty soon.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Nigeria  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 04:39 AM

The enemies of the gay people are enemies to all people, this is true. The gay people have enemies in abundance in Nigeria and I do not question that all Nigerians will, in time, have cause to regret it.

I will not, however, refrain from more than a touch of schadenfreude regarding the statements about HRW.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
I will not, however, refrain from more than a touch of schadenfreude regarding the statements about HRW

Yeah, not a word in there about Peter Tatchell... strange, eh wot?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2007 - 12:13 AM

Draconian Anti-Gay Bill Appears to be in ‘Hibernation’

Quote:
LONDON, March 29, 2007 – While the draconian Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill 2006 appears to be ‘stalled in the Nigerian House of Representative – the lower house of the country’s parliament, there will be no celebrations in the gay community just yet.

There is some confusion as to whether the House had last week gone into recess prior to next month’s Federal elections – AllAfrica.com reported on Sunday that the recess was due to commence yesterday (March 28 ), while the Nigerian press itself was reporting that the recess started over a week ago.

The UK Gay News story relies heavily on a press release from Changing Attitude by Davis Mac-Iyalla.

Progress halted on same-sex bill in Nigeria

Quote:
Thursday, 29 March 2007

by Davis Mac-Iyalla

For immediate release

Many people have been asking whether the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act 2006 which was debated on 22 March by the Nigerian House of Representatives is likely to be lost if the Nigerian election takes place soon.

The Nigerian Federal elections are scheduled to be held on 21 April and the ceremonial opening of the new session of Parliament on May 29, 2007, which the constitution recognizes as the hand over date to a new government. Allafrica.com reported on Sunday, 25 March 2007 that the House of Representatives will be prorogued on Wednesday, 28 March but this has not been confirmed by other sources. If the election takes place as timetabled, the present House of Representatives will be officially dissolved in May and the handover to the new House will take place.

The present sitting of the House has finished, and they asked the panel of Human Rights which continues to meet, to go and review the bill again. It is difficult to say categorically that the current House has been totally suspended because a lot of manoeuvring is taking place ahead of the election. It may be reasonably safe to assume the bill has been abandoned for now.

What we are hearing from CAN members in Anglican congregations in Nigeria is that the church leaders have been feeling big pressure on them and some are very angry because they expected the bill to be voted on prior to the end of this session. There are also rumours that money has exchanged hands, American money, and yet it has not proved easy for the Anglican Church leaders to push the bill through the House of Representatives. Corruption remains widespread at every level of Nigerian society.

It is also theoretically possible for the next government to reintroduce the bill. This would be unlikely to happen in the first term when they would be trying to satisfy many different expectations. It remains a possibility that the bill could be reintroduced in the next government’s second term.

Davis Mac-Iyalla, Director of Changing Attitude Nigeria, said today (29 March):

“Because of the continuing uncertainty, Changing Attitude Nigeria will not celebrate the defeat of the bill publicly until after May 29. We are quietly confident and feeling more happy, but there is still the potential for lobbying in favour of the bill to take place by the Church of Nigeria and for the Government to spring a surprise. However, if the Church was confident about the success of the bill, we think they would be issuing a confident public statement now, which they are not.”

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2007 - 12:22 AM

Further EU Condemnation of Nigeria’s ‘Anti Gay’ Legislation

Quote:
BRUSSELS, March 29, 2007 – The Council of the European Union is backing the European Parliament’s call on the Nigerian authorities not to adopt the proposed law reinforcing a ban on same-sex relations already in force in Nigeria in its current form.

“It is excellent that the Council and the European Parliament are both speaking with clarity and unity,” Michael Cashman, President of the Intergroup on Gay and Lesbian Rights replied.

“We now just need to make sure that the Nigerians take our opinion seriously and are continually reminded that the proposal of any such laws would necessarily have a negative impact on our relations under the Cotonou Agreement.”

I'm not at all sure that Mr. Cashman is right on this point. I would say that it is of somewhat more importance to just make sure that Europe takes it's own opinions seriously. After this is assured, then the Council and the European Parliament might spare some thought to whether others take them seriously.

But yes... in principle it is a fine thing to speak with clarity and unity. Words are, however, just words. I find that occasionally these words are little more than that and have no reflection in real attitudes or concrete action.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2007 - 12:58 PM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
I'm not at all sure that Mr. Cashman is right on this point. I would say that it is of somewhat more importance to just make sure that Europe takes it's own opinions seriously. After this is assured, then the Council and the European Parliament might spare some thought to whether others take them seriously.

Yes-yes, all true. I was preaching for a Reichsexekution against the State of Bavaria a couple of years ago, and now I feel somethings similar shall be performed in relation to Poland. But nobody listens to me.

As for Nigeria, and many other countries of this world, they could be lead to cooperation with economic and politic sanctions. Provided, the "good governments" are ready to suffer inconveniencies connected with chilling relationships to "evil governments". Are Gays dear enough for any straight government to suffer an economical loss becouse of introducing political measures? I have serious doubts about this.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 - 01:01 AM
Site Admin

Was this some April joke? Or does the fellow simply writing about things he knows nothing? In the following article an apparently homophobic Christian from Nigeria is swadroning against the pending "Same-sex marriage Bill" in Nigeria:

Nigeria: Christians Working On Permanent Solution to Religious Killings--Bishop Okonkwo
Quote:
AS part of preparations for Easter celebration, we got the national vice president of the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Bishop Mike Okonkwo, to speak on the significance of the annual Christian festival and on very crucial national issues including the forthcoming general elections. Like many other clerics in the country, Okonkwo, who is also the presiding bishop of The Redeemed Evangelical Mission, TREM, believes that there is the dire need for every Nigerian to pray for a successful transition programme. Excerpts:

SAME sex marriage

The CAN president, Most Rev Pater Jasper Akinola of the Anglican Communion, is an unrepentant advocate of the abolition of such a thing. Not just in Nigeria but even outside the country, he has been championing that cause that same sex marriage must never be accepted. So, we are already talking to some of our Christian brethren even in the National Assembly that the Bill on Same Sex Marriage should be thrown out. Our cherished African family values must not be destroyed. The fact that they are doing it in other nations of the world does not make it right. The Bible is very clear. God made male and female. So it is an abomination and we are doing everything within our power; even discussing the Bill in the National Assembly to ensure that such a bill does not come through.

Ironically or not, "CAN" is standing for the "Changing Attitude Nigeria", too.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I am so far from 'plussed', I am non-plussed. What to make

of this?!?!

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Homophobia could cost Nigeria its chance at the Commonwealth Games

Quote:
The Commonwealth Games was founded under its original name, the British Empire Games, in 1930. The Games are held every four years, giving around 5,000 athletes from the Commonwealth of Nations to compete in Olympic sports.

The Commonwealth Games Federation constitution dictates that "there shall be no discrimination against any country or person on any grounds whatsoever including race, colour, gender, religion or politics" in Article 7.

The CGF website also claims that "Underlying every decision made by the CGF are three core values - HUMANITY, EQUALITY AND DESTINY."

Nigerian law directly contradicts this, stating that anyone who has "carnal knowledge of any person against order of nature or permits a male to have carnal knowledge of him" can be imprisoned for 14 years.

The Nigerian government is also in the process of bringing in the Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Act, under which anyone who "performs, witnesses, aids or abets the ceremony of same sex marriage" or is involved "publicly or privately in positive representation of or for same sex relationships" can be imprisoned for five years.

Sharia law is upheld in many northern states of Nigeria. This dictates that gay people should be stoned to death.

Though Abuja is not one of these states, the issue has still given cause for concern.

Mike Hooper, the chief executive of the CGF told The Guardian that the matter will be dealt during the selection process.

He said: "As to the final decision-making of our membership and whatever issues they take into account and how they cast their vote - that is a matter for them."

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2007 - 08:25 AM

18 face death sentence for homosexual activities in Nigeria

Quote:
Eighteen men have been arrested in northern Nigeria for alleged sodomy, which carries the death sentence under Bauchi state's Islamic sharia law, the official NAN news agency reported Thursday.

Judge Malam Tanimu ordered the 18 remanded in prison until a further hearing on August 21 following their arrest on Sunday in a hotel in Bauchi city.

The court on Wednesday heard that the men, who were wearing female clothing, had come to the city from five neighbouring states to celebrate a gay "marriage".

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 02:42 AM

As a practioner of Ifá...this is ridiculous. The Yorubas of Nigeria and neighboring Benin (Togo) created Ifá (commonly called "santería, condomblé, or lukumí in the Caribbean and Brazil). That religion has traditionally been and still is accepting of homosexuality. To do otherwise is to incur the wrath of the orishas. There is even a (little used) union ceremony in the religion for same sex couples. The orisha Oshún (a major river is named after her in central Nigeria) technically presides over gay men, Oyá over lesbians and Óbba over their unions.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 03:32 AM
Site Admin

Rain wrote:
The orisha Oshún (a major river is named after her in central Nigeria) technically presides over gay men, Oyá over lesbians and Óbba over their unions.

That's interesting. Rain, do you have some more info on this, resp. where can one learn more on the issue?

When I read the news of these recent arrests, I thought at first it was an evil joke, referring to the arrested Iranians. The mentioned region doesn't sound very urban so it appeared unlikely to me that 18 Gays would come together for a wedding.

With a religion, it's totally explainable. If they are not islamic, the Sharia should not be applicable anyway, but would anyone of those "judges" care?

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 05:01 AM

Northern Nigeria is not Yorubaland. It's predominantly Hausa (a people the Yorubas historically enslaved) and it is also predominantly muslim. The Yorubas today have converted mostly to christianity. Although there are some remaining practioners of Ifá. This belief system has deep roots in the Americas. There are even survivals here in the U.S., but so subtle that they escape notice. One example...Aunt Jemima. Jemima is one of the few African names to have survived slavery. A female name that is derived from Yemayá (Spanish version of her name), the orisha of the sea (and my personal "head"). In Brazil she's called Xemanjá and in Nigeria she is variously known as Xemonjá, Xemanjá or Jemmu.

You can find more info on Lukumí, the Caribbean from, here:

Lukumí, the Caribbean form of the religion

A Lukumí "church"

Santeria's Beliefs

On Candomblé here:

Candomblé

And typing in "Ifá religion" or "traditional Yoruba religion" in your web browser will lead you to many sites for the African version. Their version, oddly enough, is more "corrupt" than the American version. The Cuban/Caribbean form is the most conservative, followed by the Brazilian. The Yorubas in Cuba didn't mix their beliefs with those of other slave groups (as in Haiti where the mixture yielded Voudun) and even preserved the ancient language of the Yorubas. To the point that I was able to carry on a limited conversation with a Nigerian civil servant here in NYC. He laughed at my Yoruba. He told me it was "antiquated". I was speaking Old Yoruba, the language handed down for generations in Puerto Rico, Cuba and some parts of the Dominican Republic.

In NO version of Ifá is treating gay people any differently from straights acceptable or even desirable. Gays form the backbone of the priesthood in this religion (the Omo-Orishas or "santeros"...a Spanish word). To even think that a gay person is somehow "different" is to court disaster.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 05:11 AM

BTW...It has become quite fashionable among LGBT people of Latino and even non-Latino descent to convert to "santeria" here in NYC. You see them wearing the élékés everywhere. Those are the five beaded necklaces of the initiate or novice. Yes, they are pretty. But they are not a fashion statement. They're not supposed to be worn in public.

However, there has been some belief among many gay men that joining the religion will confer protection from certain things...AIDS is one of those things. So I notice that no sooner does someone find out that they are HIV positive they promptly run to a "santero" to be initiated. Initiation is not a task to be undertaken lightly and it is expensive. Everything costs a lot of money in santeria. But most santeros are gay and therefore, sympathetic. They will discount the initiation price for someone afflicted with HIV. It's just one of the wonderful cultural oddities of being a gay man in New York.

And if you must ask, yes, I have my beads. But I've been in this religion since "before I was born". It is practiced side by side with Catholicism in most of the Spanish-speaking Caribbean.

Jump to: