Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: "Asking for it"  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2007 - 01:57 PM

Marcus McCann expresses his frustration over the responses he gets from some queers in reaction to his articles on queer-bashing...

Quote:
A few readers have told me recently that they think I have a persecution complex on behalf of the gay community. Just because a gay gets beaten up, no matter how badly, or even killed, why does it mean that they automatically deserve sympathetic news coverage from either Capital Xtra or Xtra.ca?

After all, gays can be thugs, ruffians and scumbags too. After all, gays can be instigators of violence or put themselves in vulnerable positions where they should expect to get hurt, they say. Why am I always assuming that our brothers and sisters are somehow innocent victims?

[...]

Some of you are familiar with the gay-bashing murder of Aaron Webster. Webster died in the arm of a close friend in a popular gay cruising area, Vancouver's Stanley Park in 2001. The community immediately rallied and hundreds of protesters took to the streets, demanding justice.

But there were murmurs. Some gays, while sad about the death of Webster, began to wonder if he should have been more cautious. A guy goes out to a park looking to expose himself and have public sex, what does he expect?

And some even suggested that he deserved it.

Reply with quote Back to top
Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2007 - 04:33 PM

From the piece:

Quote:

Any justice-minded paper would be amiss to publish anything - particularly opinion pieces — that could threaten the possibility of any accused getting a fair trial.

[...]

One final note: it's the period between charging someone and when their trial begins that are, from a journalist's point of view, the mum period. Once the trial starts, the facts of the trial become fair game.

WTF is he talking about? The facts of a case are fair game at all times.

The idea that an honest opinion piece-- written at any stage of legal proceedings-- could affect the fairness of a trial is ludicrous. Such a notional belief betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the machinery of jurisprudence, as well as total ignorance of the responsibilities and prerogatives of a free press vis a vis the courts. Further, no such maxim is held by any actual, working journalist I've ever met.

The above illustrates what's so often wrong with the gay press: it is the playground of dilettantes who mouth nonsense.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2007 - 06:23 PM

You should write a comment following the story at Xtra, KT...

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 04, 2007 - 01:23 AM
Site Admin

Kyleovision wrote:
The above illustrates what's so often wrong with the gay press: it is the playground of dilettantes who mouth nonsense.

Rolling How dare you! To issue such outrageous statements on GRD! Does anybody here care about my hurt feelings? Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 04, 2007 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
And some even suggested that he deserved it.

What's this... some people deserve killing? I'm not even going to step into that sandbox. Just what part of "peace, order, and good government" encourages vigilante killings for any reason?

I'm going to stop now... my vocabulary just isn't up to the level of contempt this issue warrants.

Filthy barbarians.

Jump to: