Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Cdn federal cabinet minister to wed  PostPosted: Aug 11, 2007 - 08:11 PM

... and he's "not a gay politician, but a politician who happens to be gay”...

Quote:
Liberal MP Scott Brison is set to become the first federal politician to tie the knot in a same-sex ceremony since MPs made gay marriage the law of the land just over two years ago.

Brison, 40, will marry partner Maxime St. Pierre next Saturday in his Kings-Hants riding, a bucolic corner of Nova Scotia’s Annapolis Valley.

[...]

Brison, a former Progressive Conservative party and Liberal party leadership hopeful, came out in 2002 and became Canada’s first openly gay cabinet minister in 2004. But he’s never defined his political persona around the issue and has closely guarded his private life.

In Brison’s words, he is “not a gay politician, but a politician who happens to be gay.”

Or, as Feral referrs to such people, “a fake straight”.

Quote:
After his engagement to St. Pierre was first reported by The Canadian Press in October 2005, Brison played down the social significance.

“I’m looking forward to the day when the idea of a gay or lesbian politician getting married is not a story at all,” he said at the time.

[...]

But in that same autumn 2005 interview, Brison made it clear he’s been deeply affected by the steady reminders of young Canadians who tell him he has served as a role model, however reluctant. “Sometimes when somebody can express something like that to you, that you’ve made a difference in terms of their confidence or their life -- not based on something that you’ve really done, just by the fact that you’re there -- I don’t think I can articulate how that makes me feel,” said Brison.

I can suggest a word -- unworthy.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: Cdn federal cabinet minister to wed  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
“I’m looking forward to the day when the idea of a gay or lesbian politician getting married is not a story at all,” he said at the time.

That's funny. I'm looking forward to the day when there's a state wedding for such an occasion.

Rain
Post subject: RE: Cdn federal cabinet minister to wed  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 06:00 AM

I'm looking forward to the day when anybody getting married is not a story.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Re: Cdn federal cabinet minister to wed  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 06:32 AM
Site Admin

berto wrote:
Or, as Feral referrs to such people, “a fake straight”.

Or a "wax fruit" - Gay outside, striaght inside.

Quote:

But honey, we were told by our forefathers of such times already - Gays and lesbians were marrying since centuries! There were millions, probably in summa billions of Gay people marrying a female - and it was absolutely no story about this! Twisted Evil

It's a pity he didn't choose the career as a Gay politicians - we need more of them. If Gay people decide not to care about Gay people, who will?

Jump to: