Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Hit Mexican singer Christian Chavez "outed" with pictures taken at his Canadian wedding

Quote:
Christian Chavez, a singer for the Mexican pop group RBD, has announced that he is gay after photographs showing him "marrying" another man showed up on the Internet.

"I don't want to keep on lying and lie to myself because of fear," Chavez said in a statement posted on the group's official Web site Thursday. "I feel bad for not having shared this with all my fans before, as they are the ones that worry and it is because of them that I decided to be honest."

A series of photos that appeared on the Web site www.latingossip.com, also Thursday, showed the 23-year-old star, known for his ever-changing hair colors, with another man with short black hair. The photos, taken in Canada in 2005 according to a message on the site, show the two signing documents, exchanging rings and giving each other a kiss.

[...]

The photos "show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences," said Chavez, whose statement appeared in both Spanish and English.

[...]

RBD, which spun off of Mexico's wildly popular two-year-long soap opera, Rebelde, achieved massive success throughout Latin America and among Spanish speakers in the United States.

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: Hit Mexican Band Singer Comes Out  PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 05:39 PM
Site Admin

Christian of RBD Got Married…To a Man?

Quote:
Many have speculated that Christian Chavez of R-B-D is G-A-Y, but nobody knows for sure…

Except that we, the great looking locos at Latin Gossip, have come across pictures of the supposed marriage between Christian and BJ Murphy in New Brunswick, Canada back in 2005.

Has he been hiding this secret this entire time? Is this the proof everyone has been looking for? How do the other members of RBD feel about this?

If this is the case, we totally support Christian and his decisions (minus the orange hair) and would hate for this couple to love in hiding.

More pictures, including a kiss, after the jump.

Message from Christian Chavez

Quote:
On March first 2007 certain photographs were released that show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences.

I think it’s time to grow up, not only as a human being, but also as an artist.

I believe love is the purest feeling that exists and in this career filled with loneliness, having the opportunity to share those moments with someone, that when you look into their eyes, you forget all the negative things, it’s a gift of life, that I cherish more than fame.

I don’t want to keep on lying and lie to myself because of fear, I love what I do and singing is my life, my passion. I would never dream of doing anything else. I feel bad for not having shared this withall my fans before, as they are the ones that worry and it is because of them that I decided to be honest.

Hopefully they will be able to see beyond this note, and realize that I am a human being just like any other, with defects and virtues. I don’t think this is a defect, I won’t deny it.

I ask the press to respect my family and myself, through this letter. There will be no future statements.

Although I’m scared and filled with uncertainty I know that I can rely on the support of my fans, their love is bigger than all of this. I ask them from the bottom of my heart, not to judge me for being honest and to feel proud of who they are and never make the same mistake I did.

¡Tolerance to diversity!

Christian Chávez

This is sweet. Does he actually KNOW what marriage is? It is certainly time to grow up, puppy.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Quote:
The photos "show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences," said Chavez

So he says. They are also, essentially, his wedding photos. What kind of person speaks in this way of their wedding photos? The wedding occured well over a year ago. I pity Mr. Chavez's husband -- having been relegated to such a small and readily ignored part of Mr. Chavez's life.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 10:36 PM

Quote:

The photos "show a part of me, a part that I was not prepared to speak of in fear of rejection, of criticism, but especially for my family and its consequences," said Chavez.

As characterized, it sounds more like a picture is circulating showing a nasty case of anal warts, rather than his new husband.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 09:28 PM
Site Admin

Kyleovision wrote:
As characterized, it sounds more like a picture is circulating showing a nasty case of anal warts, rather than his new husband.

No, wait, here it comes:

GLAAD Applauds Mexican Singing Sensation Christian Chávez For Coming Out
Quote:
The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) applauded Latino artist and member of Rebelde (RBD) Christian Chávez for coming out publicly as gay. Chávez came out in a statement posted on the group’s Web site, and urged his fans not to judge him for being honest and to appreciate diversity.

GLAAD encourages Chávez to be a role model for millions of LGBT youth who are struggling with their sexual orientation and gender identity. “We applaud Christian's courage to come out and live an open and honest life,” said Mónica Taher, GLAAD People of Color Media Strategy Director. “We know that this is not easy given the intolerant and homophobic climate that many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people live in.”

I completely understand the wish of any organization to hook up a suitable news and use it for popularization of its own name through press releases... But "a role model"??? For what, for hiding his husband (not boyfriend) for a year and not even naming him in the release to the press?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 04:32 AM

Spot on, Vicky. I will thank each and every person who values my opinion even a little bit to NOT model their behavior upon this example. This is not an acceptable way to treat a boyfriend and it is certainly an object lesson in what NOT to do to a husband.

Feral
Post subject: Anthony Callea: "Yes, I am Gay"  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Former Australian Idol Anthony Callea: "Yes, I am Gay"

Quote:
Three weeks after a Sydney morning radio host outed him, former Australian Idol contestant Anthony Callea told the Herald Sun that it's true.

Said Callea: "Yes, I am gay. I have no issue with my sexuality now, but it's taken time to become confident with who I am and happy with who I am. I'm looking forward to living a life with no barriers and not having to worry about saying the right thing. I'm comfortable enough to come clean now. It's a weight off my shoulders. If people have an issue with it, it's their issue. It shouldn't really be relevant to me being a singer and a performer."

While a contestant on Idol Callea said, "I'm not gay. I don't know why people say I am. A lot of people just make up rubbish."

Callea said there were reasons he hadn't come out earlier: "You learn from your mistakes. I was 21, 22 at the time. I didn't want to be known as just the gay contestant from Idol. It was a very confusing time. I went through a stage of major depression. I hated myself. I had to see a psychologist. I wasn't talking to anyone. My parents didn't know what was wrong with me. But getting through that makes you a stronger person, it allows me to do what I'm doing now and not be affected by what's said."

His parents didn't know what was wrong with him? Really? It seems patently obvious to me.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Anthony Callea: "Yes, I am Gay"  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 07:31 PM

By the way... don't we have one of those "I'm gay" "I'm not gay" threads floating around here? Or maybe we should just start one.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 04:56 AM

Couldn't that be *this* thread? (Just change the title...)

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Sure enough Smile

I'll just do it the way I do the violence against gays thread -- feel free to start entirely new topics about whomever you wish as they arise. (One never knows where the discussion of one specific incident will lead.) In due course, after each topic has had it's day in the sun, they will be merged into a general thread on the subject -- assuming the conversation hasn't drifted off into something worthy of its own topic.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Anthony Callea: "It Shouldn't Matter Who You Love"

Quote:
He also said he's been surprised by the attention it has drawn: "It’s really weird because a few days ago when I went to the airport and was going through the security, there were three security guards there. One of the them stopped me and said, 'good on you', and then I got through the actual security thing and the next one tapped me on the shoulder and said 'that’s really good, good on you,' and then the next one tapped me on the shoulder. I was going, 'what’s going on?', I’m still exactly the same person."

"Exactly the same person"? I rather think not. Some might say that prior to coming out he was a closeted liar and that now, he is not.

berto
Post subject: The In & Out Thread...  PostPosted: Apr 15, 2007 - 05:07 PM

Actor Farley Granger comes out in memoir

I know, I know... sorta like Sulu in terms of timing, but at least most people still remembered who George Takai *was*...

Feral
Post subject: RE: The In & Out Thread...  PostPosted: Apr 15, 2007 - 10:33 PM

LOL

Are you suggesting that I might not know who Farley Granger *was*?

I am old, Sweetie, and he was a hottie -- not so sweet looking as some, but he ornamented the silver screen well enough.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Morphing this into a general thread on "outing"...

Despite whatever Tobey Maguire's mom might say, he and Leonardo Dicaprio insist that they have never shared a bed...

Quote:
...The Spider-Man star's mother, Wendy, is reported to have made the candid confessions about the pair's friendship to journalist Marlise Elizabeth Kast -- also revealing the boys used to wear ribbons in their hair. The Hollywood actors have been close friends since they met as teenagers on the set of "This Boy's Life".

Wendy reportedly said, "Those two are just free spirited guys. Most of the friends they hang around with are gay. They're comfortable with that. But I think Leo and Tobey are the crossover between men and women. They have feminine traits they are willing to accept. "They aren't ashamed to have any sort of title, even if that means someone calling them gay."

Kast tells British newspaper The Daily Star, "Wendy continued to recount her liberal views, divulging how the two friends 'shared a bed and wore ribbons in their hair'". But the actors have both denied the allegations, with the Titanic star's representative Ken Sunshine saying, "It is untrue." Maguire's spokesman Kelly Bush adds, "This is so ridiculous I don't feel the need to respond."

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2007 - 12:51 PM

Oh no you don't, Sweetums Smile

You already did that to this thread.

Besides, does wearing ribbons in your hair really count as being 'outed'? I mean, moms will say the darnest things about their kids. Sometimes I think they make it all up. My own mother, for instance, will claim any number of outrageous things about me -- all of which are utter lies, calumnies, and slander.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Wink

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2007 - 01:06 PM

lol Mr. Green Of course, now I want to hear what these "lies, calumnies and slander" might encompass. Purely for the sake of assessing the veracity of the claims, of course. Not for the pure salaciousness of it all, or anything... Wink

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 12:03 AM

David Hyde Pierce says he's gay

Quote:
And in other totally shocking "Frasier" cast news: Fellow alum Jane Leeves is actually English. You heard it here first, folks.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:42 AM

Ha! I was right all along. Wink

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 09:43 AM

Meanwhile, the world breathlessly awaits the coming out of Richard Simmons... Mr. Green

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 - 10:38 PM

... and the truth shall set you free...

Gay Mexican pop star buoyed by fan support

Quote:
(Mexico City) Christian Chavez, a member of the wildly popular Mexican band RBD, says he's lived the life he always wanted since coming out of the closet three months ago.

Chavez told the Televisa network Wednesday the public revelation allowed him to "begin a healing process in which I left things behind and began many wonderful things."

The 23-year-old singer made the announcement in March after photos of him kissing and exchanging rings with another man showed up on the Internet.

Chavez said fan support helped him overcome nervousness about an appearance in McAllen, Texas, shortly after his announcement.

"I was afraid to go on stage, but people were really, really nice," he said. "I felt free and could sing like I've never sung before."

He said the support was a reflection of a more open Mexican society, but added that he still wants to fight for gays to be respected - not just tolerated.

Jump to: