Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: Gay Tourism  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 06:15 AM

Key West recruits gay spring breakers

Quote:
MIAMI - First came the Conch Republic. Then Margaritaville. Now, some in Key West hope to claim another title for the island's tourism repertoire: Gay Spring Break Capital of the World.

Faced with an aging corps of gay vacationers, some island business leaders want to reach out to the next generation of that increasingly coveted demographic. This week, Key West's "Gay Spring Break 2007" got into full swing with same-sex-friendly pool parties, barbecues and best-body contests that defy the island's long-standing policy against marketing to the college crowd.

"It's so much nicer to be with people who are the same, and who understand," said Jill McDonald, owner of the Aqua gay and lesbian bar on Duval Street, where police will cordon off streets March 16 for a Gay Spring Break block party featuring DJ Tracy Young. "College is hard enough."

This week marks the height of spring break season, a 14-day stretch when nearly 3 million college students will be on vacation, including those attending Florida State University, the University of Florida and the University of Miami. Though South Florida's tourism bureaus shun the road-tripping college students, some destinations have begun eyeing gay spring-breakers as a lucrative - and manageable - niche.

Not such a bad strategy -- though it seems a little long-term for prudence.

Quote:
"The spring breaker is looking for a room with a bathroom and clean sheets. Then they spend their money on fast food and beer," said Harold Wheeler, director of the Monroe County Tourist Development Council. "Somebody can say (gay spring break) is different. I don't know if it is."

What a curious objection. I can't speak for the current generation, but in my day, very little about these assertions about Spring Break were true in my case, or the cases of my friends -- the characterization is far, far too charitable. Now, if the intimation is that gay college kids might not have the profligate spending habits of their elders... you can bet money on that. I would also suggest that noticeable differences will be less drinking, more sex, louder music, and generally a whole lot more noise. They'll want to put away the breakables. Will they return to Key West with fatter wallets once they're out of school? I think that might well be a good bet, as long as you don't sour the experience in some ridiculously stupid way.

Last edited by Feral on Jul 17, 2007 - 09:34 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Key West recruits gay spring breakers  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 06:17 PM
Site Admin

Ah, the more they are recruiting the better! Smile If the guys at Key West actually install some real attraction for those gay spring breakers (whatever it is), and make it known -- well, then they can be sure the money will actually go from some wallets into other. By the way, doesn't it actually taste like the old strategy to use the youngsters as bait for wealthier clientele? Just a thought...

Feral
Post subject: RE: Key West recruits gay spring breakers  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 07:32 PM

LOL.

This is what I had thought but had not said. No... there is little net profit in a gaggle of partying gay youngsters. I would well understand if an aging gay community would fervently pray that the party would move elsewhere. I do not think that the Spring Break partiers are the real target though. They intend to hold "best body" contests... it is customary to have audiences for this time-hallowed practice. Gather more than 500 twinks in one sunny place and you do not have a money-pot... you have the perfect bait for a money pot. It is not a bad scheme.

They must consider go-go boys and foam parties. Razz

Feral
Post subject: Gay Tourism  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2007 - 02:53 AM

Actually... the focus on Gay tourism is old news. This time it's Lesbian tourism.

Philadelphia Focuses On Gay Tourism

Quote:
(AP) PHILADELPHIA When Philadelphia rolled out a national ad campaign aimed at gay tourists four years ago, some of the commercials featured same-sex couples in Colonial costumes.

Philadelphia has been focusing recent marketing efforts on lesbians, who researchers say are less likely to have visited the city than gay men.

The tourism agency partnered with R Family Vacations, a cruise company that caters to gay and lesbian families.

A 2005 gay tourism survey says Philadelphia saw a 153-dollar return for every dollar spent on its marketing campaign.

Spend a dollar on a marketing campaign, get $153 back? That hardly seems a 'waste' of the city's money.

Last edited by Feral on Jul 17, 2007 - 09:27 AM; edited 1 time in total

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
The tourism agency partnered with R Family Vacations, a cruise company that caters to gay and lesbian families.

I know that when I think of taking a cruise ship to some exotic locale, a trip to Philadelphia always comes to mind: the sea breezes, the coral beaches, the aggressive crack-sellers along its shaded streets....

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Kyleovision wrote:
I know that when I think of taking a cruise ship to some exotic locale, a trip to Philadelphia always comes to mind: the sea breezes, the coral beaches, the aggressive crack-sellers along its shaded streets....

LOL

It IS certainly true that Philly's tourism campaigns paint a much rosier picture of the city than do that city's Gay denizens. Indeed, the consensus seems to be that one should save one's money and go instead to New York -- it's far safer.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Akron to pitch to gay travelers

Quote:
The Akron CVB will meet with gay-owned or -operated and gay-friendly businesses July 24 to see what incentives, promotions and programs it may offer to gay and lesbian travelers.

Perhaps of particular interest are gay males, who spend more than heterosexual men and lesbians on trips, according to a survey last year by the Travel Industry Association of America.

To capture some of the $55 billion GLBT market, communities have to demonstrate that they're gay-friendly. GLBT travelers want to go ``where they can hold their partner's hand in public'' and where they're free of intimidation and threats, according to the TIA survey

The Akron CVB got its toe wet in GLBT travel two years ago at a seminar sponsored by Community Marketing Inc., a San Francisco company that researches the gay market. Last year, it began to advertise in the weekly Gay People's Chronicle in Cleveland.

Now, it's at a fork in the road, said Mahon, the CVB spokesman. ``We can't make up things. If there are incentives or hotel packages out there, that information needs to be fed to us so we can package it,'' he said.

Yah... you "can't make up things." Good luck with the project though -- just don't do anything stupid like spend a lot of money on it.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Gay tourism untapped by P.E.I.

Quote:
Prince Edward Island could do more to market itself as a tourism destination to the gay market, says the editor of a gay travel magazine.

Huh. I imagine Prince Edward Island could do more... in theory.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2007 - 10:57 PM

Tourism PEI considers gay couples for ads

Let's keep in mind that this *was* one of the very last provinces in Canada to accept equal marriage, and didn't do so until forced into it by federal statute. From all I've heard about PEI (I've never been there) it tends to be staid, conservative, small-town provincial, and is not what I'd call particularly homo-friendly. Which, in reality, makes it no worse than most other parts of the country...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Quote:
makes it no worse than most other parts of the country...

Which makes it unfit as a destination for tourism. These stories all reek of some concerted effort by some consultant or other... the same figures and the same pitch get recycled in slightly different variations. As with Akron, no doubt Prince Edward Island could do more (than the 'nothing' they are presumably doing now) to market themselves as a Gay destination... they just shouldn't waste too many of their dollars on the effort.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it doesn't make it any more fun to kiss.

Recollect that these same marketing geniuses have survey data that suggests that Gays and Lesbians prefer to travel to "where they can hold their partner's hand in public and where they're free of intimidation and threats." I frankly doubt PEI's ability to reasonably comply with either prerequisite (regardless of the laws that have been forced upon them).

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 12:01 AM

Akron Cancels Gay/Lesbian Tourism Initiative

Quote:
An effort to attract more gay and lesbian tourists to Akron has fallen through. Officials canceled a meeting next week with groups and businesses interested in marketing to gay and lesbian travelers.

Though listen to the audio for that report... it seems there was some question about whether marketing the region as 'Gay-friendly' might be seen as a hypocritical attempt to make money off of Gays without actually welcoming them.

Pity... I didn't see it as 'hypocritical.' A pathetically feeble attempt at fraud, yes -- hypocrisy, not so much. As the report points out... when you market something in a particular way, people responding to the marketing rather expect things to be as advertised. They get quite annoyed when they aren't.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 06:44 AM

Feral wrote:
These stories all reek of some concerted effort by some consultant or other...

You think? lmao!

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 06:49 AM

Quote:

Akron Cancels Gay/Lesbian Tourism Initiative

But riddle me this Batman...who in their right mind is going to spend their vacation in AKRON? When I lived in Texas, I met tons of transplanted Buckeyes, quite a few of them from Akron and Canton. The impression they gave me was one of a rust-belt town version of Dodge City. If it had been dry enough there would have been tumble weed blowing through Main Street.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Vienna competes for gay tourists

Quote:
Famous for its waltz, its cafes and its classical music, Vienna is pushing for a bigger slice of the lucrative gay tourist trade this summer with its "Queer Guide" to the city.

The 48-page brochure, available free of charge in English, French and Spanish, lists all the capital's gay-friendly locations, from night clubs to shops, cafes, hotels, saunas, and nudist beaches on the Danube.

Although Austria was named preferred country of destination by participants in Germany's Gay Pride parade in 2004, Vienna still lags far behind Paris, Berlin or Barcelona in a worldwide ranking of favourite destinations for gays and lesbians.

"Since then, the city has been trying to catch up," Susanne Langer, director of the "Queer Guide" project, which is in its second year, said.

Yup. You can read about it here. Or there's the [url=cms.wien.info/wtv/WEB_en_QG06.pdf]PDF brochure[/url].

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Mexico City a Gay Paradise?  PostPosted: Aug 27, 2007 - 12:33 AM
Site Admin

Exclusive Interview with Matt Skallerud President of IGLTA
Quote:
MEXICO CITY, 24/08/2007 (LIOWLB/Enkidu Magazine): Global Gay and Lesbian Tourism is booming and now the city authorities of Mexico City have finally discovered the growing importance of this market segment. Matt Skallerud, President of IGLTA ((International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association), was in Mexico last week, signing an agreement (a "Strategic Alliance") with Alejandra Barrales, Minister of Tourism in the Federal District (Mexico City). IGLTA is the world's leading travel trade association committed gay and lesbian tourism and Lars Ivar Owesen-Lein Borge, general director of Enkidu Magazine have interviewed Matt Skallerud about Mexico City as a gay-friendly destination and the future of the Pink Market in general.

LIOWLB: What are, in your opinion, the advantages of Mexico City as a tourist destination?

MS: Mexico City is one of the few cities in North and South America with a strong European flavor... Of course more on the Spanish side of European culture, but European nonetheless. The only other city I find with such dynamism is Buenos Aires. With that culture comes some of the best restaurants, museums, nightlife and more one would come to expect from a first class city.

LIOWLB:. Do you perceive of Mexico City as a gay-friendly destination?

MS: Yes, I do.

[..]

LIOWLB:. How long have you stayed in Mexico City, and what are your impressions of the city?

MS: I stayed a week, and the last time I was in the city was 14 years ago. Gay life has grown a lot in those 14 years.

[..]

LIOWLB:. What are the characteristics of the gay and lesbian consumer community today? What makes this consumer community "different" from straight consumers?

MS: I've heard this said many times during my stay in Mexico City - "Straight by Day, Gay by Night". It's cute.

Cute? If I right understand what he was attempting to say, you are not advised to show your Gayness by daylight, but can go to bars and discotheks and fuck around under the cloack of night? Pardon my scepticism, but I am still not convinced - it doesn't sound a safe destination for me.

A couple of years ago I was reading a number of sponsored stories on Gay.Ru, glorifying "hidden" sex in Azerbaidzhan, Turmenistan, Fidshi and other similarly "gay-friendly" destinations. Conveniently, the suitable travel agency was just a few clicks away. Need I say how much these folks care about your health once you paid the ticket?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2007 - 01:03 AM

Sounds like a great spot. For closet cases.

Instead, go to Montreal -- you get all that European "Old World" charm, but without all the pollution that Mexico City is so notorious for. And another thing Montreal has that Mexico City doesn't -- seasons.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2007 - 02:09 AM

A lack of seasons can be a good thing... for those who have grown sick and tired of seasons (and conveniently have the wherewithal to escape them.)

You will notice the diabolically clever phrasing of the question "Do you perceive of Mexico City as a gay-friendly destination?" Notice that it is not "IS Mexico City a gay-friendly destination?"

You have to love travel agents and their ilk. They make a very happy game of parsing words. "Right after the last ferry leaves is the very best time to dine at one of our local restaurants" actually means "remain indoors during dusk to avoid the astonishing clouds of rabies-infected bats that leave our picturesque limestone cliffs each evening." "Our soft sand beaches are perfect for working on your tan" may well actually mean "avoid any direct contact with the ocean for the next several days until the potentially life threatening swarms of sea hornets have abated."

Yah. I know these people -- some of them are my relatives and they really do know how to squeeze every last drop of honesty out of their responses to reasonable questions. You wouldn't want any honesty contaminating your sales pitch.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2007 - 03:02 AM

Okay, so you're sick of seasons. But at least you can breathe the air in Montreal.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 27, 2007 - 03:52 AM

Moi? Sick of seasons? Gracious no!

I've refused to consider moving house to some places because of a proper lack of seasons. Arizona met that fate once -- no proper autumn was unacceptable, as was the conspicuous absence of maple and oak trees. I'm not sure I can be at all content outside of the standard oak/beech/maple deciduous forests. Oregon met that fate once too -- my definition of 'summer' does not appear on the calendar out there. Similarly, the rain forests over yonder are nice, as such things go, but they just aren't oak/maple deciduous forests. I can only take so much fir and spruce before I'm really, really tired of looking at them. I rather insist on having all four seasons. While I may scoff at the locals' reactions to winter (really... what goes by that name here is a faint shadow of what goes by that name in Michigan or *shudder* those moosey places in Canada), but I have always been quite put out by an absence of one.

Nope, apart from wanting to visit the Climatron in St Louis and the Parthenon replica in Nashville, I have no desire whatsoever to travel more than about 20 miles from where I am right now. Travel sucks. People who enjoy travel are weird. The Saar valley might be nice to visit again some time -- they have quite potable coffee there (unlike the crayon water that they call coffee hereabouts). Still... they have those damn Vulcan squirrels there. I don't like those squirrels. Too freaky. If squirrels were meant to look like that, fox squirrels would have pointy ears. They don't.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 28, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Quote:
LIOWLB

This would make some rather interesting anagrams...ha ha ha.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Jump to: