Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2007 - 11:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Critics, including Cohen, also wondered whether it was in the teenagers' best interests to position themselves so firmly as homosexual at ages starting as young as 11 years old.

After meeting with the organizers of the Gay Pride parade, a compromise was reached. The organization promised Cohen only teenagers who were accompanied by at least one parent would be allowed on the teenage boat.

Ah, yes, I see. If the youngsters pose as heterosexuals at at ages starting as young as 6 years old (remember all the straight socialization rituals), it's all right - but when they say they are Gay, it puts them in some danger? After all, there is a hope this is just a phase, right?

Reply with quote Back to top
Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2007 - 11:28 PM

Quote:
Critics, including Cohen, also wondered whether it was in the teenagers' best interests to position themselves so firmly as homosexual at ages starting as young as 11 years old.

If they only knew...most of us know long before the age of 11 what we are, even if we have no name for it.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2007 - 11:29 PM

Oops...Viktor beat me to the post...LOL.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Mr. Cohen is dangerously in error. It is most certainly in their best interests. It is also in their interests for both Expreszo and COC to do what they can to address Mr. Hoekzema's complaint:

Quote:
"Teenage gays have a difficult time finding a date," he explained to reporters. "They need to have more meeting places. It is important that they can meet gay peers."

You will note that I did not suggest that Mr. Cohen do so. He would serve better by tending to his own children, and leave ours to us.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I think it is a wonderful, natural development that should have happened the second year a Pride parade was held *anywhere*.

Don't we all want to make life a little bit easier for our kids than it was for us?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2007 - 07:07 PM

berto wrote:
Don't we all want to make life a little bit easier for our kids than it was for us?

Self-evidently... no. It would seem not. That should change, and promptly.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 04, 2007 - 11:18 PM

Atlanta ready for Black Gay Pride Labor Day weekend

Amsterdam explodes with color as city celebrates Gay Pride festival

Sadly, no pix with that last link. So here's one. And another one. Oh what the hell, here's one more...

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2007 - 01:37 PM

So, in their last issue, The Georgia Straight did a story called "Pride, Incorporated":

Quote:
When the Vancouver Pride Society recently lost four big backers–Air Canada, IKEA Canada, Citytv, and Hewlett-Packard–they were quickly replaced by the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre Hotel and Cathay Pacific.

Steve Scarrow, Citytv's regional promotions director, told the Straight that the company made a "business decision" and it had nothing to do with its long-standing support of the gay and lesbian community. He said the company was told it would no longer be allowed to hand out anything during the parade, which inhibited contact with the public.

"But they had also taken on so many sponsors," Scarrow said. "We are not big believers–this goes for everything we do–in being one of 25 sponsors at the bottom of a poster with a logo that is the size of a postage stamp. We just don't think we get any value out of that. We primarily go into things where we feel we are part of the community, we're being involved."

Even the term Pride has been trademarked. It was registered in 2003 by the organization that puts on the Toronto Pride parade and will be transferred to an organization called Fierté Canada Pride to administer on behalf of Pride societies across the country. The trademark is for "Clothing, namely shirts", as well as for staging an annual celebration for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people, according to a document filed with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

Hamilton said that last year, the Vancouver Pride Society told her she would have to pay for the right to use the term Pride to promote two events that she was organizing: Man Pride and Tranny Pride. Hamilton refused, and the society backed down. "They were essentially the Pride police, and they would determine who could use the word Pride and who couldn't," she said.

The Straight got John Boychuk's side of the story (Boychuk is the Big Kahuna at Vancouver Pride and local guardian of the Pride™© trademark), but then went on to profile other doubters besides Hamilton, including the organizer(s) of "Shame: Party Without Pride"...

Quote:
Stacy Clark is one member of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community who is uncomfortable with the growing corporate presence in the Pride celebrations. She told the Straight that the Vancouver Pride Society's heavy reliance on sponsorships can cause it to lose its focus on the history of the community and encouraging more people to get involved.

"As soon as you start to get very corporate, it's a double-edged sword," Clark said. "You need the money to put on the event, and then you get worried about losing the money."

Vancouver writer Michael V. Smith has questioned why companies don't invest more money in groups that feed hungry queer kids and find them shelter rather than just march in the parade. Last year, after the controversy erupted over the trademark issue, social activists helped organize the first Shame: Party Without Pride. Clark is promoting the second Shame party, which will be held at the Royal Canadian Legion at 2205 Commercial Drive on Friday (August 3). All proceeds from this gender-inclusive event will be donated to the Sista'Hood project, which is a month-long arts-and-music event.

"Nongendered, noncorporate, nonsponsored hits the nail on the head in terms of what it is we try to do," Clark said. "The Shame party is not a protest event for Pride. It's to call people out. At the event this year, we have performers doing their interpretation of what the Olympics means to them. You can only imagine how it's going to go."

Boychuk, on the other hand, said that he hopes to lure the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games as a Pride Society sponsor in 2008 and 2009. He said that VANOC officials have attended planning sessions in the past six months with Pride Society officials. "They had stated to us that they were interested in partnering with Vancouver Pride to be able to have access to the gay and lesbian market," Boychuk said.

Well, it turns out VPS (and Fierté Canada Pride™© ?) were not impressed with the article -- they've kicked The Straight outta the Pride™© Parade:

Quote:
An ultimatum issued to the Georgia Straight by one of the Vancouver Pride Society's (VPS) parade directors -- who demanded an immediate explanation for alleged inaccuracies in the Vancouver weekly's Aug 2 cover story "Pride Incorporated" -- has prompted the Straight to pull out of Sunday's Pride parade.

[...]

In an Aug 2 blog follow-up to his story, Straight editor Charlie Smith writes that VPS treasurer and parade director Ken Coolen called the paper, saying the publisher "had two hours to call and explain this week's cover story."

"If the publisher didn't call," Coolen is reported to have said, "the Straight would not be allowed in the parade." Publisher Dan McLeod did not return Coolen's call. Instead, the Straight decided not to participate in the parade "for the first time in years," says Smith.

When asked about the alleged ultimatum, Coolen declined to comment and referred the matter to VPS president John Boychuk.

Boychuk admits that "a heat-of-the-moment comment was made by Ken," but says the "very passionate" parade director made the "unfortunate comment" in order to get a quick response.

"He realized it was unfair, and when I had my conversation with Charlie Smith I said that was something that was a knee-jerk reaction," says Boychuk, adding he apologized for "any misconception" regarding the Straight's float entry which "has not and will not be cancelled."

"[Smith] said to me, "Doesn't matter, we're already pulling the plug," Boychuk alleges.

When asked to elaborate on the "inaccuracies" Coolen reportedly saw in "Pride Incorporated," Boychuk says: "It was a variety of different issues. I don't have a copy in front of me so I can't go through it point by point.

[...]

The Straight's first gay columnist, Kevin Dale McKeown, says it's the Straight that's being penalized, not the Pride Society.

"I don't think they [the VPS] were trying to control what the Georgia Straight said so much as they were trying to punish them for saying things that the Society didn't want to have [said] in public at this time," McKeown alleges. "And I think that's very inappropriate. "

One added footnote: In response to an earlier article on Xtra.ca about Vancouver Pride, I wrote a comment critical of Boychuck, VPS, and Fierté Canada Pride™© -- Xtra.ca chose not to publish it.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Since they didn't publish my last commentary, I won't be surprised if Xtra.ca also refuses to print this one. So, I'll just post it here for y'all to enjoy:

Quote:
You know, back when Vancouver Pride™© lost the sponsorship of Air Canada, IKEA Canada, Citytv, and Hewlett-Packard and Xtra.ca wrote a story on it, I wrote a comment to Xtra.ca that was critical of Boychuck, VPS, and Fierté Canada Pride™© -- basically making the same sort of points that The Straight did in its article -- but Xtra chose not to publish it.

If I was in Vancouver this Sunday (today) I certainly wouldn't bother attending this corporate greedfest that has supplanted Pride (that's Pride without all the trademark and corporate logo symbols that Boychuck, VPS and Fierté Canada Pride™© seem to insist on; I'd be at the Shame: Party Without Pride event.

One more thing: thankfully Fierté Canada Pride™© doesn't control *every* Pride event across the country, so out here in the Kootenays we are going to continue to have our non-corporate, all-inclusive, friendly and welcoming little Pride event where we're more focused on people -- and Pride -- than on sponsorships, corporate access to the Queer Dollar and cozying up to other irresponsible greed-heads like VANOC.

And we'll do just fine, I assure you. Anyone in Vancouver (or elsewhere) who wants a refreshing change of pace should come out to Nelson on the Labour Day Weekend -- we'll be the ones having fun and showing our (non-corporate) Pride.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Quote:
He said the company was told it would no longer be allowed to hand out anything during the parade, which inhibited contact with the public.

"But they had also taken on so many sponsors," Scarrow said. "We are not big believers–this goes for everything we do–in being one of 25 sponsors at the bottom of a poster with a logo that is the size of a postage stamp. We just don't think we get any value out of that. We primarily go into things where we feel we are part of the community, we're being involved."

There ISN'T any value in a logo the size of a postage stamp on the bottom of a poster. The company's decision was reasonable. Since the loss of their sponsorship was less than could be desired, clearly the organizers' decision to disallow handing out 'anything' was not reasonable. A hint to parade organizers everywhere -- knock it the fuck off.

Quote:
"As soon as you start to get very corporate, it's a double-edged sword," Clark said. "You need the money to put on the event, and then you get worried about losing the money."

There's only one thing I can say about this, and it's not something I have occasion to say very often: GROW UP. I need money to put on the event known as my life. Funny thing... from time to time I worry about losing the money. Oddly, I worry comparatively little about it. This is not an unmanagable concern.

Yes, money is a double-edged sword (metaphorically speaking). I have a news flash for you -- swords cut. This is what they're for. If you foolishly play around with them, you will end up cutting yourself. A double-edged sword does not cut any more or any better than a single-edged one. The sharpness of swords is a reason not to play games with them, not a reason to discard them out of hand. I assure you -- anyone foolish enough to cut themselves with a double-edged sword is foolish enough to get themselves into all manner of other troubles; abandoning the sword will not make them safer because they are inherently unsafe everywhere.

If a Pride organizing committee wishes to spend money (and that almost goes without saying) then they have to acquire money. It would be a good idea if, thereafter, they balanced their activities with their finances... so as to minimize this paralyzing fear that seems to come over these people so often. If this is too difficult for them, then they should fold, dissolve, quit, go home. Someone else will then do it for them.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 - 12:21 AM

Gay pride is free...you cannot put a price on it. It's that precious.

Gay Pride events, however, are not free. These events are not free for the people who volunteer their time, nor for the organizers who volunteer their time and must find the way to pay for everything the events entail...from permits, to insurance, to celebrity bookings, to police, sanitation and other municipal services, to day-to-day administration of office and staff, to orientation classes for event coordinators, volunteers, and participants, to print, television, internet and radio publicity, to discretionay items like portable toilets, water, condoms, tee-shirts, parade favors and many other sundry items to be given away for FREE to thousands, sometimes millions (depending on your city), of participants.

If anybody besides corparate entities can foot the bill, they are welcome to come forward.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 - 04:57 AM

In the meantime, all the hand-wringing about corporate sponsors sounds just like a hustler who has taken a john's money and is shocked... SHOCKED that the guy expects that sex will follow. Really, it's not that out of the ordinary to expect to get what you paid for. If you wish to obtain money by selling something, you then have to cough up that something.

Getting money for free is generally called "begging." This, too, is a time-honored strategy. It's wise to make it clear that this is what you are doing up front.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 01:29 AM

Gays attacked during Gay Pride

Quote:
AMSTERDAM (ANP) – A number of homosexuals were assaulted in two separate incidents during the Gay Pride weekend in Amsterdam. On Saturday night a 34-year-old Irish man was attacked in the vicinity of the Kinkerstraat, police announced on Monday.

The Irishman was walking with his Spanish boyfriend when he got in an argument with two aggressive men. After a hand gesture by the Irishman the two struck him with a hard object, after which the man was taken to hospital with serious injuries. He underwent surgery to his jaw and other treatment. The police strongly suspect that the man was attacked because of his sexual orientation.

Two American men were attacked on the Nassaukade on Friday night. One was beaten and sprayed in the face with pepper spray or tear gas. The police suspect that the violence in this case was also motivated by hate towards gays, but are not ruling out the incident may have been a mugging.

During a third incident on Friday night troublemakers destroyed a wreath from the gay rights monument at the Westerkerk and threw it in the canal. The police later arrested two young men on suspicion of vandalism.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 03:59 AM

One thing that is overlooked in the gnashing of teeth over corporate funding of gay pride events is what happens when a corporation is black-listed for allegations of anti-gay shenanigans.

I remember the Coors boycott and its immediate impact and reaction during gay pride some years ago. Not only did the organizers of the events here (and in many cities nationwide) bring attention to the policies of that company and its funding of right-wing Republican campaigns, but the gay bars all followed suit and evicted Coors from their taps. It was stunning and effective. Coors was on the ropes BADLY with one of their largest consumers. This ultimately brought about a public mea culpa from Pete Coors, but also had the added benefit of getting spousal benefits for gay employees at Coors.

Don't underestimate the power of corporate relationships. One of the most effective ways to effect change is to get in bed with them, as unpleasant as the act may be.

We just have to be mindful of exactly who's fucking who.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 04:05 PM

Almost 400,000 turn out for Vancouver Gay Pride

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Four San Diego firefighters sue over being "forced" to ride in Pride parade

Quote:
The firefighters claim they were subjected to gross sexual gestures and obscenities while riding on a city fire truck during the event.

Veteran Fire Captain John Ghiotto, engineer Jason Hewett and firefighters Chad Allison and Alexander Kane have filed a claim against their bosses, saying they were forced to ride atop a fire truck in this year's parade.

In a claim filed with the State Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the four men say they were ordered directly to participate in the July 21 event against their wishes.

The men, who collectively have been with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department for more than 50 years, say that during their time on a fire truck, they were repeatedly sexually harassed by the crowd.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 08:03 PM

berto wrote:

You forgot the trademark. Naughty, naughty.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Quote:
In a claim filed with the State Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the four men say they were ordered directly to participate in the July 21 event against their wishes.

The men, who collectively have been with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department for more than 50 years, say that during their time on a fire truck, they were repeatedly sexually harassed by the crowd.

An interesting case -- assuming their claims of "sexual gestures and obscenities" are accurate (and really, what reason is there to doubt them?), this does look like a valid claim, on it's face. The idea that they participated against their wishes is quite irrelevant -- the laws regarding sexual harassment in the workplace would be the same if they had participated happily.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 - 04:16 AM
Site Admin

Sexual harassment by the drunk crowd while on duty? This is probably a very common experience of police officers and frirefighters at any larger event. The officers involved usually feel flattered and make not much of it - that's the job. Being sexually harassed while on duty is nothing in comparison to being shot, beaten with an iron rod or stabbed with a knife - also frequent dangers of such professions. It is homophobia in its purest form to sue the fire department on reasons the officers were put on duty during an even of - ghasp - homosexuals. Being shot in the leg or biten by a junkie is apparently a less outrageous experience to them than receiving naughty looks.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Well, there are basically two questions here... is the Fire Department liable and does what the men experienced constitute sexual harassment?

Quote:
Department pursuant to Government Code section 129400)(1) [employer liable for harassment by non-employees if the employer knew or should have known of the harassment and failed to take immediate and appropriate corrective action] and section 12940(k) [employer liable for failing to take all reasonable steps necessary to prevent harassment.]

It could readily be assumed that the Fire Department knew what sorts of behavior might be encountered at the parade. Since the department has participated in a number of such events, if they did not know, then they certainly ought to have known. The men's repeated assertions that all of this was against their will are quite irrelevant: they in fact chose to participate in the parade over facing disciplinary action.

Quote:
We did follow the chief' s order and took part in the parade to avoid any disciplinary action . While moving down the parade route we were subjected to verbal abuse, (show me your hose, you can put out my fire, give me mouth to mouth, fuck you fireman) sexual gestures , (showing their penis, blowing kisses, grabbing their crotch, rubbing their nipples , tongue gestures , flipping us off)- We were subject to this type of abuse and more throughout the parade route . You could not even look at the crowd without getting some type of sexual gesture . Even the Christian protesters were giving us grief for being a part of this . The experience left me feeling humiliated , embarrassed and offended by this event. These unsolicited and unwanted behaviors from a few individuals of the public toward us, reduced our morale as well as the integrity of the workplace, and destroyed our professionalism . Our department and our supervisors violated the city's own EEO policy by knowing that we were going to be subjected to this type of behavior

Now, some of reported behaviors would hardly be tolerated in your average workplace. The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department is hardly an average workplace, however. Behavior very much like this has been ruled to not constitute sexual harassment at all in a federal court. Their mileage in California may vary. Their lawyers have their work cut out for them... they should hope that they are being paid.

Jump to: