Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
22 Post subject: A Question of Pride (Parades)  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2006 - 02:48 PM

This piece is not new. Far from it -- it's from 2002

A Question of Pride

Quote:
As thousands gather in New York, San Francisco and dozens of other cities around the world to celebrate Gay Pride this summer, a small but growing number of activists are saying the gay community should take no pride in the events themselves.

What began four years ago as a small protest gathering in Brooklyn has grown to become an undeniable -- if not exactly coordinated -- backlash against the growing presence, and importance, of corporate sponsors at Gay Pride events. Alternative 'Gay Shame' events are being held in dozens of cities. The common theme: Corporate sponorship is leading to the crass commercialization of the pride movement.

Held in late June every year, New York's pride march commemorates the 1969 Stonewall riots, three nights of violent street protests during which hundreds of gay and lesbian New Yorkers demanded an end to decades of police harassment. Over the years, however, the protest march has become a parade, the events surrounding it a rollicking, colorful, multi-day celebration of contemporary gay culture. Increasingly, that celebration has been underwritten by corporate advertisers eager to reach gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender consumers.

Organizers of pride events in New York and other cities say the evolution is natural, reflecting the changing nature of the gay community. "It's an evolving event. Is it changing? Yes it is," says David Schnider, media director for New York City Heritage of Pride, the volunteer group which organizes the city's PrideFest events. "It's probably changing to reflect how our community is doing."

For some members of that community, however, the changes have gone too far. In 1998, objecting to the increased prominence of corporate sponsors and the diminished profile of political activism at the New York event, a group of gay rights activists decided to create a forum for their frustrations. The group staged Gay Shame, held on the same weekend as the pride events and billed as an alternative venue for those who felt alienated by the larger celebration.

The concept of "Gay Shame" wasn't all that new at the time this article was written either.

Quote:
Gay shame is a movement whose adherents describe it as a radical alternative to the gay mainstream.

Gay shame was created and named in opposition and protest to the overcommercialization of the "gay pride" events, and its members attack "queer assimilation" in what they perceive as oppressive and conservative societal structures -- as such its members disagree with the legalization of same-sex marriage. Gay Shame began in 1998 as an annual event in Brooklyn, New York, and later spread to San Francisco and Toronto. The San Francisco Gay Shame became a non-hierarchical direct-action group that continues to this day. Swallow Your Pride was a zine published by the people involved in planning Gay Shame in New York. Three issues were released.

There seems to be a great deal of confusion about just what "Pride" is, and what it's for. For those of us who are what is politely referred to as "older" (read: 'older than dirt') there is the added problem of what "Pride" has become, since the damn thing keeps transmogrifying.

From my own antique perspective, "Pride" is a parade that commemorates an event -- generally Stonewall. Note that it commemorates, it does not re-enact the event. "Pride" is no more a riot than the US Independence Day Parades are a re-enactment of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Indeed, the festivities common on 4 July have precious little to do with the event they commemorate. And why would they? One could, I suppose, whip up a great deal of anti-British zeal and promote events dedicated to "activism" on 4 July, but that would be stupid. Frankly, it's been awhile and I seriously doubt anyone could possibly care about the policies of a Parliament that sat 230 years ago. The situation for gays in most of the places that celebrate "Pride" is quite different from what it was in 1969. The connection between Stonewall and "Pride" grows ever more tenuous as time goes by. The celebration has become a cultural event in its own right, and worthy of celebration in its own right. You will note that the chief attackers of "Pride" events are the most vitriolic enemies of the gay people in general. It does not behoove a gay person to ally too closely with such people on any topic.

I should say that I don't much like parades. I like a good one, but a ill-formed parade is ... well, more than a little pathetic. I grew up on army bases. My idea of a small parade is a battalion in revue. Such things can be impressive, so long as you keep your perspective on just what a battalion really is. The multi-battalion affairs that celebrate the installation of a new base commander are actually worth seeing. The civilian versions of the phenomenon just don't do it for me, but this is a reason for me not to attend, not a reason not to hold the event.

This nonsense (and it IS nonsense) about corporate sponsorship is dumbfounding. Parades cost money -- even the military extravaganzas. Of course, the military has quite different modes of funding than does any civilian organization. If a corporation wishes to hand over money to a gay organization for the purpose of funding a parade, why not emblazon a go-go boy float with that company's name? Who ever heard of turning down money?

source

Quote:
"In the beverage world, liquor companies have always understood this and marketed to this niche," remarks Gay. "Absolut Vodka led the way by buying the back cover in gay and lesbian magazines. Stolichnaya is another major player, Skyy Vodka participates by pouring its product at events. Tanqueray is the major support behind the AIDS Bike Rides held around the U.S. Other spirits producers are also advertising leaders: Johnny Walker, Hennessy, Bombay Sapphire, Bailey's, Miller Beer, Budweiser, and Mumm.

Liquor company money has funded more than just "Pride" parades -- it's the life-blood of most gay magazines. And face it -- it's not like we don't gleefully buy their products.

In fact, we buy a lot of things, quite possibly more than do people who aren't so gay. It's that shopping thing.

Marketing reports show that we have a fierce brand loyalty and base that loyalty on the recognition and respect for us shown in specifically gay advertisements. We positively adore gay advertising. Of course the companies are "exploiting" us for money -- it's what they do. We get more than a little pissed off when other companies find that our money isn't "good enough" for them. The Compton's Cafeteria Riots were about something along those lines, if I recall correctly. So why shouldn't the companies sponsor "Pride" events? I'd be inclined to invite Absolut, Stolichnaya, and Skyy to participate for free, as "friends of the family."

Last edited by Feral on Apr 07, 2007 - 06:36 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: A Question of Pride  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2006 - 03:39 PM
Site Admin

Much of the criticism on Gay Marriage and "commercialization" of the gay community has, of course, a tiny piece of truth included - but the conclusions drawn are mostly wrong and partially grotesque. Sure, many companies and bar owners simply wish to earn their money on us and would care little of us if we had no money to spend. But it is also true that business is an important component of our lives, and if all the advertisements first secure the existence of many gay events and magazines, it's all fine to take the money.

To bring our social and political life to a new stage, the efforts shall be directed on CREATING some more non-commercial activities, not on combatting existing commercial structures.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Seattle Pride Files For Bankruptcy

Quote:
For 32 years the festival was held on Capitol Hill, the center of Seattle's gay community. But with crowds exceeding 200,000 the decision was made last year to move to Seattle Center.

That raised the cost and Out and Proud still owes the city more than $102,000 for last year.

But many in the community say they aren't surprised by the financial problems.

Last year many of them boycotted the official Pride event for a parade and festival on Capitol Hill called Queerfest that was organized by the LGBT Community Center.

The Center said Tuesday it is ready to hold Queerfest again to keep the Pride spirit alive. When it heard of Out and Proud's financial problems it obtained a city license to hold a festal on June 23.

For some peculiar reason, this story is much in the media but without any real acknowledgement of how this event came to be in such straits. Don't lament too much for Seattle Out and Proud... their disbanding comes more than a year too late for a great many people's tastes.

Women's Space has words on this, both now and in the past.

As far as popular festivals go, this episode highlights the problems the gay people face in terms of disorganization and over-organization. When putting on an annual festival becomes a thing in itself, divorced from the needs and desires of the community for whom this festival is intended to serve, much goes awry.

I would hazard to guess that a majority of the pride festivals in existence face this difficulty.

Some other commentary on Seattle Pride:

Alex -- April 22

Quote:
Looks like Pride will not be at the Seattle Center this year. I am really disappointed in the Pride organizers Seattle Out and Proud. I have a hard time understanding why they have to be the face of Seattle Pride. I don't remember voting them in to represent me and my friends. Can someone please explain to me how it is they came to control Pride?

(There is a concise answer to the question in the comments.)

Tacky Tourist Clubs of America -- April 19

Quote:
Something we don't see in Seattle: Activists proud of their "Gayborhood"

Here in Seattle, the activists who claim to own the name "Seattle Pride" have proudly stated for years that they've grown up and moved beyond our town's gay neighborhoods. Seattle's annual gay pride parade was moved off of Broadway on Capitol Hill and now marches through a multi-decade construction zone on Fourth Avenue downtown, following roughly the same route in reverse as the town's wonderfully tacky Seafair Torchlight Parade.

(The post is largely commenting upon the city of Philadelphia's decision to place custom road-signs throughout the "Gayborhood," but has a very cogent point to make about the importance of the gay neighborhoods in pride parades. Sadly, this point is scattered throughout the post, so it can't quite be quoted.)

Vox -- February 21

Quote:
$121: The total amount of donations the organizers of 2006 Seattle Pride took in during its namesake weekend. $100,000: The unpaid facilities bill for the group's use of Seattle Center, the first year the festival happened outside the Capitol Hill neighborhood and gay community. Slim to none: The chances that 2007 Seattle Pride will happen.

Yes, yes... there are corporate sponsors and vendors' fees to consider, but $121.00? Curious. This is a rather spectacular failure to raise money, and I think the reasons behind it, whatever they are, may be enlightening.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2007 - 12:17 AM

Huh.

Quote:
Organizers announced Wednesday morning that Seattle Out and Proud, the group that coordinated last year's Seattle Center celebration, doesn't plan to file for bankruptcy.

"The Seattle Pride Parade will be produced as planned by Seattle Out and Proud," a statement on the group's Web site read. "Due to overwhelming support in light of a recent press release, we will move forward with our plans to produce the parade down 4th Avenue on Sunday, June 24, 2007."

At a meeting last night, Seattle Out and Proud's board decided that producing a festival would not be financially possible.

On Tuesday, the group announced it would file for bankruptcy and disband due to a $102,000 debt owed to the Seattle Center for last year's weekend-long event. The Seattle Center had agreed to allow the event to proceed again this year if the group paid half the debt up-front and then paid $25,000 every year for two years.

The debt has been referred to the city's legal department, a Seattle Center spokesman said Tuesday.

But now, an outpouring of financial support following the group's bankruptcy claims has apparently made it possible to pay that debt and hold the traditional Seattle Pride parade.

I smell rats.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2007 - 09:00 AM

365 adds a little clarity to this peculiar shift in events:

Seattle Rallies Behind Financially Troubled Gay Pride

Quote:
(Seattle, Washington) Within hours of Tuesday's announcement that Seattle's Out and Proud - the volunteer group that puts on the city's annual gay pride parade and festival - was filing for bankruptcy and canceling this year's event, the organization's phones began ringing.

The city's gay community was rallying to the cause. By the end of the night enough money had come in to pay off the group's $102,000 debt from last year's parade and save the organization from bankruptcy.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:00 PM

Hmmm...just a little bit of history repeating. The Pride events here in NYC have seen this before. In order to address the complaints from some very vocal groups, HOP (Heritage of Pride: DISLCAIMER...I belong to this organization) agreed to hold two separate events...the Rally on the Saturday before Pride Sunday, a political open mic-style public rally in Bryant Park in midtown Manhattan, and the March (i.e. the Gay Pride Parade), the next day. Not content with these overtures, Latino and African-American LGBTs created their own events, and then the outer boroughs complained that the events in Manhattan did not represent the full LGBT community in New York City and organized their own borough-specific events. The result? New York now has seven different Pride celebrations commencing at the beginning of June and ending in the middle of August. It seems fracture and splintership is the way of all LGBT movements.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:07 PM

To comment quickly on the Seattle situation...HOP's finances have never been stable. Indeed, most Pride events carry over red ink from one year to the next. The involvement of corporate money, heinous though it may seem, doesn't even begin to pay the bills for staging a spectacle on the scale of NYC's Gay Pride events. And while, it is true that corporate voices are loud (and proud?) on the last Sunday in June, people tend to overlook the fact that the organization has a long history of allowing all voices to be represented down Fifth Avenue. This commitment to freedom of expression was severely tested the year when NAMBLA's inclusion in the March was challenged by those who wanted to "clean up" the March from what they saw as the "seedier" elements of the LGBT community. Now, I'm not equating taking corporate money with freedom of expression, but I AM equating it with guaranteeing that freedom even against those very corporate backers' wishes.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:20 PM
Site Admin

Rain wrote:
New York now has seven different Pride celebrations commencing at the beginning of June and ending in the middle of August. It seems fracture and splintership is the way of all LGBT movements.

Interestingly, we have a similar discussion here in Cologne right now. A [straight] brothel desires to join this year's gay pride march on grounds that it also has a transsexual department. What now - shall the organizers accept the money and endorse sexual exploitation of women by straight men? Feminist [lesbian] groups are enraged and threaten to boycot the pride march alltogether, some political gays are declaring their solidarity and joining the boycot, another group is calling for an alternative, non-commercial pride event. The effects of such a boycot of the main event are to be neglected, the groups participating in the boycot might preserve their chast principles but they are rather "shooting themselves in the foot".

Our folks probably still have to learn how to express valid criticism without turning into the "I won't play anymore" attitude. It is of course a good right of every individual or group to splitt off any larger group, but there must be really, really good reasons for doing so. The driving force for any decision of importance shall be the eventual effects and not the hurt feelings of one or the other "gay community leader".

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Feral, you are wise beyond your years. Not only is the connection between Stonewall and Pride celebrations all over the world tenuous, but it's a remote event shrouded in the mists of a pre-AIDS time for the younger generations of LGBT'ers here in NYC. In short, they know little, care less, and ponder fewer still, the rammifications of the events of June 1969. For communities all over the world where the issues faced by the local LGBT population may be more or less complex than those faced by NYC's LGBT population in the late Sixties, Stonewall may have its spiritual significance, but no real relevance. The idea of Stonewall, the message, is its real importance today. Yes, the very first impromptu march in 1970 was held as a protest and a warning to local pols and the NYPD that we were not just going to go away, but that was a local thing which inspired a world-wide movement. The issues back then were different and the Pride events must reflect the changes, both positive and negative in our communities since that time. I understand the need for activism quite well...I've been at it since college in the early 90s and continue to advocate, but I also understand the desire to express joy and celebration in our accomplishments. No one should take that right away from us, least of all our very own brethren. They need to chill, smoke a blunt and samba down the street with the Brazilian float.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:33 PM

Sounds like that scene from Monty Python's "Life of Brian", where they were arguing the finer points between 'The People's Front of Judea' and the 'Judean People's Front'...

SPLITTERS!!! Wink

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Van, I may have given you the wrong impression. The thing is that regardless of the number of Pride events here, everyone accepts the notion that Manhattan's main Pride March is THE all-inclusive Pride March...the one we all accept as the "official" showcase of the LGBT community. In fact, the smaller events have been organized with HOP's tacit blessing. No one has actively boycotted the main parade just because they struck out on their own. The original organizers back in the early 70's split into two competing groups, one wanted a political demonstration, the other wanted a show of unity and pride and they were both viciously antithetical to the other. In the long run, the moderates won out, but with concessions to all the voices involved. Certain rules had to be followed to keep the parade "fit for family consumption." Not too long ago, there was protest over nudity during the parade. HOP politely suggested that participants should try to bear in mind that gay families do participate in the march and left it up to the individuals and their sponsoring contingents to adhere to a code of decorum. Lesbian groups during the parade routinely march exposing their breasts, but legally, they have the right to do so in NYC...it is not against the law to show your tits in the streets of New York. However, genitalia is a different matter, and that's left up to the NYPD's discretion, most cops just look the other way.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2007 - 05:21 AM

Pride parades are a difficult bit for me. I'll be frank -- I do not like them. I've been to one (when moving from the sticks to Chicago, you simply must) and it was ample. I do not plan to attend one any time in the near future, even though it would be a fairly simple matter to go to one. I grew up with military parades (and compulsory attendance at them) and, on the one hand, I find the entire spectacle of promenading down a city street almost as unseemly as the ridiculous prospect of watching people promenade down a city street. On the other hand -- a decent parade isn't entirely worse than getting poked in the eye with a stick. The only memorable parade I've witnessed (and I don't get out much) involved three divisions. There were tanks and trucks, there were planes flying over head, there were several thousand guys (cute ones, mostly) with guns in the most astonishingly regular blocks. The sound was incredible. If a Pride parade can do that, I'd certainly go... it'd be a hoot. It can't though. I do not care for chaotic mobs aimlessly moving from point A to point B. This is why I do not go to such things.

This is not to say there should not be Pride parades -- every city that possesses a population willing to put on a parade should have one. Of course the New York parade does not properly represent the boroughs -- only the boroughs can do that for themselves, and if they have the inclination to... let there be a parade.

Stonewall "organized" itself -- it was a riot. There were no floats, no bands, no colorful banners. There also was not one word of that ever-so-delightful organizational bickering that precedes large events. Not one word of it. Pride parades are not riots, and they do not organize themselves and they are not free. As with so many things, the game is played by those who show up on the court. Those who organize the various parades are, most often, those who will. If you do not like the way they do it, then participate. Better yet, form a committee of your own and throw a parade. (Personally I prefer the concept of block parties like Philadelphia's OutFest to parades, but then I already said I do not care for parades, even in concept.)

The flip-side of the volunteerism inherent in today's Pride parade organizing is that these volunteers so often begin to feel entitled, privileged, and "in-charge." Oh, they are none of those things. They are those who showed up on the court, and nothing more. When there is sufficient dissension to rustle up a boycott or a counter-parade, when the organizing committees cannot come up with the necessary community support (in the form of real, live currency), then something has gone amiss. Prudence would suggest it be put right.

I especially tire of this peculiar notion that is so current these days that a parade must represent everyone. Of course, it's entirely possible that a parade can represent everyone. You want the full splendor of the GLBT community on display? Then the Pink Pistols get to march. So do the hustlers and the brothels and the strippers (oh, very much yes the strippers). Think that isn't "family friendly" enough? Who the fuck said the entire GLBT community was "family friendly"? It most certainly is not. Should the organizers decide they simply must have a sanitized version (gods help me -- it has a "message" and a "theme" ... you know it does), then they may not get in high dudgeon when the stripper bars refuse to donate to this cause. Certainly they have no right to be upset when the leather-men or the dykes or any number of other constituencies find better things to do with their time and money.

I like splitters. Splitters are good. The Gay people can not have too many cultural events of any and all types.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2007 - 02:28 PM

Okay, this might be a little bit of a "topic drift", but this:

Quote:
The only memorable parade I've witnessed (and I don't get out much) involved three divisions. There were tanks and trucks, there were planes flying over head, there were several thousand guys (cute ones, mostly) with guns in the most astonishingly regular blocks. The sound was incredible.

Unavoidably reminded me of this:

Quote:
This topic brings me to the worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor. That a man can take pleasure in marching in fours to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him. He has only been given his big brain by mistake; unprotected spinal marrow was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism-- how passionately I hate them! How vile and despicable seems war to me! I would rather be hacked in pieces than take part in such an abominable business. My opinion of the human race is high enough that I believe this bogey would have disappeared long ago, had the sound sense of the peoples not been systematically corrupted by commercial and political interests acting through the schools and the Press.

(oh, what the heck... the next paragraph is worth quoting as well...)

Quote:
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion. A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, our perceptions of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which only in their most primitive forms are accessible to our minds -- it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute true religiosity; in this sense, and this alone, I am a deeply religious man. I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind we experience in ourselves. Neither can I, nor would I want to, conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or from sheer egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.

That was Albert Einstein, in a 1931 opinion piece entitled "The World As I See It", re-printed in Ideas and Opinions , Crown Trade Paperbacks, New York, 1982.

Anyway, back to Fer, who wrote:

Quote:
If a Pride parade can do that, I'd certainly go... it'd be a hoot. It can't though. I do not care for chaotic mobs aimlessly moving from point A to point B. This is why I do not go to such things.

I can't help getting a mental image of you in a big fuzzy winter hat, standing with the rest of the Gay Politbureau atop Harvey Milk's Tomb, reviewing the troops, Fer. *hee hee* Mr. Green

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 29, 2007 - 09:02 PM

'berto wrote:
I can't help getting a mental image of you in a big fuzzy winter hat, standing with the rest of the Gay Politbureau atop Harvey Milk's Tomb, reviewing the troops, Fer. *hee hee* Mr. Green

LOL

It's not at all hard to picture, but the image should make you shiver just a little. My idea of "reviewing the troops" is seeing them off after having sent them somewhere (to do that thing which armies are designed to do). There is, I think, something inherently immoral in amassing the trappings of force without then deploying that which has been assembled. Doing so for the mere spectacle is a shameful waste of money. Failing to take a moment's pleasure in the inherent spectacle of a troop deployment is a waste of an opportunity... there is a value in spectacle.

Fear not -- I cannot imagine any group of people so foolish as to install me in a reviewer's box over Harvey Milk's tomb (and if there are people that foolish, then they shall deserve me). Wink

The Einstein bit isn't all that off-topic. There are certainly mysteries involved here. Mr. Einstein (for perfectly good reasons) was not a devotee of the militaristic mysteries. His age had more than enough of them. Even if you will eschew the paramilitary aspect of parades, there are other, very similar, aspects that cannot be ignored. There is something inherently religious (at least at the level of mystery) in parades. If you are not dedicating the processional to one or another of the gods of war, then you had better select which other mystery you are enacting with some deliberation.

Most gay parades claim to be devoted to that wretched god Demos, but are hypocritically subverted to some other purpose. I do not recommend Demos as a god, nor do I put much stock in his mysteries... but if that is what is to be wished, then I should point out that "all people" means ALL people. I would have thought that the Gay people would be the best informed on this point. A parade that purports to edify ALL of the GLBTQ(LMNOP) community must accept every member of that community, not just those that some self-appointed committee has determined are savory enough, respectable enough, 'progressive' enough. While there are inevitably elements of our own community that any one of us do not like, there are certain times and places (and a Pride parade would be chief among them) when we come together despite these differences for the shear spectacle of the gathering. There is as much a mystery here as in the military rituals.

The problem with mysteries is that they cannot be explained; they are not amenable to reason. A mystery is intuitively grasped -- often very suddenly. The experience is transformative. You can only offer up the mysteries to those who have not experienced them. The trick is... it's really quite convenient if those who are doing the 'offering up' have at least a passing understanding of them in the first place.

Seattle has had a parade for a number of decades. From what I can tell, historically this event could have been said to be devoted to the Polis, the physical gay community, not Demos, the greater gay identity. I happen to favor celebrations of the Polis over celebrations of Demos. You can trust the Polis, you can (and always have) interact directly with the Polis. You would need a pressing reason to switch such an event over to the reverence of "all the community," regardless of "where they live." I suspect that in Seattle no better reason than "just because" existed. It also seems pretty clear that the physical gay community was not enlisted in this change.

Whenever (and every time) some group thinks to change the core mystery of some celebratory event, they have their work cut out for them. It's not at all easy. And I say that as someone who quite sincerely hopes to accomplish just that.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2007 - 02:05 PM

At least the author comprehends the conflict.

Quote:
There comes a point, in the arc of every minority group's successful fight for acceptance, when the worst seems behind them and the question becomes whether to integrate or remain separate. When the Seattle Out and Proud Committee announced last year that it was moving the parade from Capitol Hill to downtown, it steered its rickety nonprofit organization right into the center of this debate and, as we are now seeing, barely survived. Roughly put: Downtown Pride Parade supporters back integration; Capitol Hill Pride Parade supporters back separation. It's Mainstream Sensibility vs. Ghetto Mentality.

Just as a flawed and floundering Pride celebration promotes a downward spiral of insider recriminations and general disinterest, so an improving Pride celebration would promote a greater sense of gay community. Who cares about fostering a greater sense of gay community through parades and parties, especially in an era that some call "post-gay" or even "post-post-gay"? Well, maybe a certain type of person who is out, proud, over it, and fine on his or her own doesn't care much (though this ability not to care much comes thanks, in no small measure, to countless gay parades that have come before). But here's who definitely does care: The streams of young, semi-out, and semi-confident gays who pour into Seattle over Pride weekend each summer. The better the celebration, the better for them, and the better for them, the better the future for gays and lesbians.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2007 - 03:09 PM

Gay Pride event attacked by homophobic mob

Quote:
Around 20 activists attempted to march for gay rights in the Moldovan capital Chisinau last week. People threw eggs and shouted homophobic abuse at the gay Pride marchers, and the police stopped them from laying flowers at the Monument to the Victims of Repression.

A government committee had banned the march on the grounds that it could pose a public disorder threat, that it would promote sexual propaganda and that it would undermine Moldovan Christian values. The decision was despite the ruling of the Moldovan Supreme Court last December that a previous ban on the LGBT Pride march was illegal.

It was the third year in a row that Moldovan authorities have banned the gay Pride march in the capital.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2007 - 08:27 PM

South Africa Pride coming to Johannesburg

Quote:
The largest gay pride festival on the African continent will be held on October 6th on the streets of Johannesburg, it was revealed today.

A street parade, with the theme “Coming of Age”, will be followed by a Mardi Gras at the Zoo Lake Sports Club on Rosebank. It will be a week of celebrations, with the days before the parade including an art exhibition, a cabaret show, fund-raising and theatre events, along with something called “real drag” racing.

[...]

A number of fringe events, such as nightclub parties, will also take place around the city and across Gauteng during Pride week.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Warsaw mayor okays Pride parade

Quote:
The Mayor of Warsaw has rejected calls from the youth wing of a government party to ban a gay Pride parade in the city tomorrow.

The Catholic Youth Movement, who are affiliated with the Polish League of Families, had demanded that she stop the gay event, claiming it posed a threat to morality.

Hanna Gronkiewicz Walz told Polish radio that any ban would contradict the rulings of the European Court of Human Rights.

Earlier this month the Strasbourg-based court ruled that the ban on the 2005 Pride event in Warsaw was a violation of human rights. The seven judges, including one from Poland, were unanimous.

The ECHR agreed that freedom of association and assembly, prohibition of discrimination and the right to an effective remedy had been denied, all of which are guaranteed in the European Convention on Human Rights.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Montreal Gay Pride Parade Axed

Quote:
In 1993, 5,000 people came to the Montreal Pride parade. By 2003, the number had exceeded one million. But there will be no 2007 Pride parade in Montreal, evidently because of issues of cost and political infighting.

The web site Hour.ca reported May 17 that earlier this year, Célébration de la Fierté had taken over organizing duties when Divers/Cité, the previous group behind the parade, saw a report that showed one quarter of parade spectators do not go to the rest of the Gay Pride festival, while just over three quarters of the festival-goers bypassed the parade. Given the cost of mounting the parade, and also in the wake of protracted tensions with community organizations and Gay Village shop owners.

The shop owners reportedly wanted more input, and more profit-sharing, in the parade. Rather than continue to deal with their demands and shell out the money needed for parade logistics when so many festival attendees did not even watch, Divers/Cité decided against a parade this year.

Again with the disputes between parade organizers and gay neighborhood businesses.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Pride parade planned for July

Quote:
Montreal will have a gay pride parade this year, despite behind-the-scenes organizational problems that nearly canned it, the head of the Quebec Gay Chamber of Commerce promised yesterday.

A daytime parade is being planned for the last weekend in July, probably Sunday, July 29, said Pierre Paquette, the chamber's managing director.

A new coalition of groups representing the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered communities is now in charge of the parade, Paquette said.

The coalition includes groups like the Gay Chamber of Commerce, sports teams, Ville Marie borough representatives and organizers of the annual Black & Blue Party, he noted.

(The Emphasis is mine)

Not so curious... given the choice, I would certainly prefer to be 'represented' by the organizers of a circuit party over what is the more usual alternative.

Jump to: