Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: FLA mayor seeks robotic toilets to curb gays  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale's Mayor wants the city to fork out a quarter-million dollars for a toilet he claims will put an end to gay sex that he says is rampant in public washrooms on the beach, even though the police department denies there is a problem.

Mayor Jim Naugle has spent the better part of a decade fighting what he has claimed to be an attempt by gays to take over Fort Lauderdale. He has consistently fought all LGBT rights ordinances that have come before city commissioners.

Now he's turning his attention on the beach - long a favorite of gay tourists who bring millions of dollars into the city each year. Naugle says that "homosexual activity" is plaguing public restrooms at the beach.

[...]

The police department, however, tells the paper that sex in bathrooms isn't a major problem. Sgt. Frank Sousa. tells the Sun-Sentinel that while there may once have been a problem it isn't today. "There's no evidence, no reports or arrests made for any men having sex in any restrooms," Sousa told the paper.

Nevertheless, Naugle wants the city to buy a portable bathroom called a "robo-john" and have it placed on the beach at Sebastian Street an area popular with gay sunbathers. The "robo-john" allows occupants to stay inside for only a short time before the door opens. According to Naugle it isn't enough time for "illegal sex".

*click*

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: FLA mayor seeks robotic toilets to curb gays  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 - 01:18 AM

Now, I fully realize that Mr. Naugle enjoys a certain "reputation" in Ft Lauderdale (if it can be called a reputation and if he can really be said to enjoy it), but gee willikers...

Two hundred fifty thousand dollars is a bit much for a single toilet, even if it does count out a preset number of toilet paper squares. And thirty thousand dollars a year seems a bit much in maintenance costs. I mean, really -- for thirty thousand dollars a year I can almost certainly hire an ass-wiping valet. The mind boggles at what I could purchase with $250 thousand -- even in Ft Lauderdale's Real Estate market. But let's just ignore all that.

I am given to understand that more toilets in that particular area would be a good thing. But what, pray tell, is supposed to be accomplished by installing a single toilet (just the one) that throws open the door and sounds an alarm if you fail to move as expected? Guys might decide not to have sex in this one, is that the idea? What about the other ones?

And remember, we're not only ignoring the outlandish price of this contraption, we're completely ignoring the fact that the police insist that the problem that this scheme is meant to address doesn't even exist.

Next this mayor will be proposing ringing the city with $50 thousand Easter Bunny traps -- to protect all those innocent children from the evil wiles of the pagan Easter Bunny.

I'd be tempted to speculate on just which organic mental defect is at work here, but I am given to understand that the Mayor is already the object of substantial amounts of speculation from better-informed people than I -- so I'll just leave it.

But if I have heard of a more stupid suggestion, I do not recall it. Now, clever bits like this never cease to amaze and amuse. I bet they cost nowhere near two hundred fifty thousand dollars (plus thirty thousand per annum) per toilet.

Instead of a monkey to dance on the Mayor's head, I present to him these fine German urinals -- all of them in Köln.

Bing
Bang
Boom

I hear Köln is a 'very gay city.' Mr. Naugle may now feel free to vent his fevered imagination on whatever it is he imagines goes on in German public restrooms.

(I cannot say that I like the facilities in the chocolate museum. They are vaguely sinister -- all that "square-ness." Of course, they're nowhere near as wicked looking as the facilities along the Autobahn -- those freak me right out.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: FLA mayor seeks robotic toilets to curb gays  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 - 08:16 AM
Site Admin

Rolling Not that all urinals in Köln were as beatifull as one presented at the liks, but there is indeed no real problem anymore with sex in toiletts. Why on Eath should anyone spend 250.000 $ just to prevent people from having sex on the beach??? They only trouble with sex in lavatories is.. well, other people can't find a place to make a pee in private. This inconvenience is easily solved by more cabins. If the intention is simply to preven guys from having sex, well, then I wish him good luck. They will have sex somewhere else. Wink

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 - 04:45 PM

And we ignore another issue: this is Florida, aka God's Waiting Room, aka The Elephants' Graveyard, aka Where the Old Go To Die. This idea would have the constipated tossed onto the sidewalk after a preset amount of time; ever hear of an old man who *wasn't* constipated?

The only time these bathrooms won't be filled with the elderly is when the college kids come for Spring Break. Methinks that population has alot more str8 sex in public bathrooms in one week than the entire native gay folks have public, gay sex the whole rest of the year.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Kyleovision wrote:
Methinks that population has alot more str8 sex in public bathrooms in one week than the entire native gay folks have public, gay sex the whole rest of the year.

If the "Girls Gone Wild" propaganda (oh dear -- what have I just fed the google-bots?) is to believed, you are right; and much of that sex falls rather close to the definition of prostitution.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Fort Lauderdale mayor's "apology" is just another attack on gays

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle called a news conference Tuesday to issue what he called an apology for remarks he made earlier this month about public gay sex on the beach but instead turned it into another broadside against the gay community.

[...]

On Tuesday gays and the media expected Naugle to apologize for the remarks. Instead the conservative Democrat said he was apologizing for what he claimed was underestimating the problem.

"I want to apologize to the children and parents of our community for not being aware of the problem,'' Naugle said, calling on residents to call police if they see gays engaging in sex in public restrooms.

He also said that that a gay cruising Web site recommends to two city parks.

According to Naugle Broward County has the highest rate of new HIV/AIDS cases involving men having sex with men in the country and suggested the county tourism office should rethink its ad campaigns that welcome gays to the area.

Gay activists said they intend to step up their campaign against the mayor.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Quote:
According to Naugle Broward County has the highest rate of new HIV/AIDS cases involving men having sex with men in the country

A peculiar allegation -- while Broward and Dade counties contain both the lion's share of Floridians living with HIV and new HIV cases in the state, Florida ranks number two to New York's number one, and New York City is the most populous city in the country. Mr. Naugle, of course, is prattling about rates, not numbers of cases. It is conceivable that his statistic is correct, but it does not mean what he thinks it means.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 05:21 AM

The cops say that it's not a problem. The question is just HOW does the mayor know it's a problem? HUH? HUH?

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 02:27 AM

Fort Lauderdale Tourist Attractions Fear Gay Backlash

Quote:
...Following 9-11 when travel in general fell off, gay travel remained relatively high, and in the year after the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington gay travelers were credited with helping save Florida's tourism industry.

Fort Lauderdale ranked No. 6 among gay travelers last year, and accounted for about 11 percent of Broward's $8.5 billion tourism industry.

But over the past month Naugle has infuriated gays with homophobic remarks.

[...]

So concerned is the tourism industry over the potential fallout the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau is using paid media watchers in New York and Europe to see how far the story is spreading.

So far it has been covered extensively in the US and European gay press, but has not attracted much attention in the mainstream media.

[...]

For now the Visitors Bureau and local hotel operators are hoping the controversy blows over. "Right now we don't think an overreaction to what's happening is necessary,'' president Nicki Grossman told the Miami Herald.

Roger Hanavit, a spokesperson for Rainbow Carpet Lodging and Hospitality Alliance which represents about 30 gay hotels in Fort Lauderdale, told the paper Naugle's remarks do not "put Fort Lauderdale in a good light, [and] the longer we stay on this, the more damage it does."

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Quote:

Roger Hanavit, a spokesperson for Rainbow Carpet Lodging and Hospitality Alliance which represents about 30 gay hotels in Fort Lauderdale, told the paper Naugle's remarks do not "put Fort Lauderdale in a good light, [and] the longer we stay on this, the more damage it does."

In other words, let's just sweep it under the Rainbow Carpet and hope it all blows over? I think I'm going to start posting this little story around the internet. It shouldn't blow over and gay hospitality professionals should be more responsive to the population they serve and the community they live in.

This Naugle should pay the political pound of flesh. He's an elected official and he should know better.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Quote:
He's an elected official and he should know better.

More importantly, he's an elected official and the people of Ft Lauderdale should know better. Mr. Naugle is not just some idle example in passing of some isolated screwball. He didn't get to be mayor because no one else was foolish enough to want the job -- a majority of voters placed him in that position.

The question is not whether Mr. Naugle's remarks put Ft. Lauderdale in a good light or a bad light; the question is "should Gay people give their money to this city, or should they not?"

Ft. Lauderdale has been in the news before. If various alliances of Gay businesses wish to muster up some political and economic clout to make Ft Lauderdale an attractive place for Gays to both live in and visit, then fine -- clean house. Otherwise, I'm afraid it looks very much to me like not only should Gays not visit Ft Lauderdale for any reason, the Gays in that city should divest themselves of their commercial interests in that place and move to somewhere civilized.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Mind you...my sister was actually BORN in Ft. Lauderdale. The nerve! She should have been born some place where they let gays shit in peace!

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 03, 2007 - 01:10 PM

National Groups Call On Fort Lauderdale Lawmakers To Disavow Mayor's Homophobic Remarks

Quote:
Ten national LGBT civil rights organizations are calling on Fort Lauderdale and Broward County commissioners to denounce recent homophobic remarks by Mayor Jim Naugle.

The letters were signed by the leaders of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the National Center for Lesbian Rights; Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation; The National Lesbian Health Organization; the Mautner Project; Pride At Work, AFL-CIO; Out & Equal Workplace Advocates; Family Pride; Faith In America.

[...]

The letters urged members of both the Fort Lauderdale City Commission and the Broward County Commission publicly affirm the area welcomes gay tourists.

Fort Lauderdale's City Commission is on summer vacation and will not return until September. The County Commission meets next Tuesday.

A letter of gay support would not only be welcome by area gays but also Fort Lauderdale's tourist industry which depends heavily on gay money.

[...]

So far [the story] has been covered extensively in the US and European gay press, but has not attracted much attention in the mainstream media.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2007 - 10:35 PM

This guy just can't shut up...

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle stepped up his war of words Tuesday over what he sees as rampant gay sex at public washrooms at the beach.

The outspoken mayor staged a news conference outside Fort Lauderdale City Hall where he was flanked by conservative Christian leaders and declared gay sex had become a major public health crisis in the city.

[...]

uesday he reiterated his claim the county had become the area with the highest AIDS rate in the country and accused the county health department of suppressing the facts

"I think that the Broward County health people because of their constraints with the Broward County government are interested in being politically correct," Naugle told reporters. "I think the people who are here are more interested in saving lives."

Gay and AIDS outreach workers who watched the press conference reacted angrily to the Mayor's latest pronouncements.

"I am a person living with AIDS and what you are saying is wrong," Michael Rajnor of the Campaign to End AIDS yelled back at the mayor.

"He should be serving the people. He should be standing up for people. He should be fighting for funds for housing, for substance abuse, for vocational training. Who the hell do you people think you are?"

Members of the group supporting him handed out bumper stickers saying "Mayor Naugle is right."

"We want the homosexual community to know that we love them and that God loves them also," the Rev. O'Neal Dozier told the news conference. "But God hates the act of homosexuality."

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2007 - 04:16 AM

Quote:
This guy just can't shut up...

Oh, baby...you BETTER believe this guy's gonna run for some bigger office. He's setting himself up and priming his constituency.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2007 - 11:56 PM

Fort Lauderdale tourist industry tells mayor to shut up

Quote:
Ft. Lauderdale Mayor Jim Naugle was defiant Thursday as the city's tourist board castigated him for a series of attacks on gays.

Nikki Grossman, the president of the Greater Ft. Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau said the mayor is endangering the county's biggest business - tourism - and damaging the area's reputation worldwide.

Grossman told the mayor at the bureau's Thursday meeting that he is making Fort Lauderdale look close-minded and unwelcoming. "The damage has been done to the destination," Grossman told Naugle.

"We need to get back to work fixing it. The rhetoric needs to stop and the anger, the mischaracterizations and the hurtful mean-spirited rhetoric has to stop."

[...]

Although no specific boycott of Fort Lauderdale by gays has been called several hotels and resorts that have a mainly gay clientele say they have contacted by guests who regularly stay with them to say they will not be coming back as long as Naugle is in office.

[...]

But Naugle was unmoved Thursday as various visitors bureau board members called for him to stop his attacks. "I am the Mayor that’s not going to back down," he said.

"One of the things that my dad taught me,” said Naugle, “is that it isn’t always about the money, it’s about doing what’s right."

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hmmm...maybe Ft. Lauderdale needs a robotic mayor. Yes, that's it. A nice little bot you can turn on and off when you need a piece of municipal legislation signed.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Anti-gay remarks cost Naugle his seat on tourism board

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 29, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Quote:
Since Naugle made his initial allegations about rampant gay sex in public restrooms nearly two months ago, the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau has been deluged with hundreds of angry e-mails from tourists. Some said they had canceled vacations, while others threatened to go elsewhere.

A gay-oriented convention that was to draw 200 attendees this fall is on hold. A group that plans black family reunions has voiced concern about whether the mayor was sending a message of intolerance. Bookings of college and high-school sporting events is also down compared to last year.

Mr. Naugle's remarks can hardly be said to serve the interests of a board that promotes tourism, so the move is not entirely out of line.

Still... which is the more hypocritical, Mr. Naugle's presumably sincerely expressed (if bizarre) views which have the unfortunate effect of painting the region as "intolerant," or the tourism industry's manifestly self-interested claims that (despite the presence of people like Mr. Naugle) Ft Lauderdale and Broward County are welcoming places?

It is always convenient for marketing patter to have some passing resemblance to the truth.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2007 - 09:41 AM
Site Admin

No, no, you are totally in error! Having an high way near your hotel was ALWAYS sold as a "good nearby infrastucture," and having an anti-Gay mayor is simply providing a "debate-encouraging atmosphere."

Jump to: