Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Translating news headlines...  PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 02:34 AM

I think it was KT, awhile back, who commented that all-too-frequently one must translate news headlines (and stories) from "straight speak" into something that makes more sense to your average 'mo. This article is a good case in point: they titled it, "The gay factor declines as issue" (in reference to the Dallas mayoral race).

Of course, what they *meant* to say was, "The gay factor declines as issue... for straights". But then, to them, that is simply understood; after all, who else could they possibly be referring to?

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Translating news headlines...  PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 03:02 AM
Site Admin

Oh yes, this is a very sore issue for me... When a headline is actually weird (from Gay perspective), I often feel prompted to change it so GRD RSS-fed users don't get it the wrong way. On the other side, manipulating the headlines while reposting is probably not entirely correct... Straight minds think different, very different. Or how else can one explain, that in a russian newspaper a headline appeared "Gay Rapists Infect Netherland Citizens with AIDS"??? If I were to write the headline, I would produce something like "Bandits Rape Several Men, Infect them with HIV" because writing for a Gay newspaper naturally involves writing about Gays and for Gays.

Feral
Post subject: Re: RE: Translating news headlines...  PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 07:50 AM

vanrozenheim wrote:
When a headline is actually weird (from Gay perspective), I often feel prompted to change it so GRD RSS-fed users don't get it the wrong way. On the other side, manipulating the headlines while reposting is probably not entirely correct...

Perhaps it is not entirely correct, but it may be morally required. There is no special reason why a headline for a news item on GRD must be identical to the headline on the source material. In most instances the site is, after all, quite freely directing readers to the original rather than rewording someone else's work and claiming it as Gay Republic's own.

Jump to: