Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Coming out of classroom closet a challenge for teachers, too  PostPosted: May 28, 2007 - 04:47 PM

haaretz.com reports

Quote:
Last week Education Minister Yuli Tamir announced the establishment of “an advisory committee on the gay community,” which will examine the attitude toward homosexual students and suggest ways of integrating them in schools. The committee’s aim is to try to prevent the feeling of isolation from which many of them suffer. More than any of her predecessors at the Education Ministry, Tamir follows a liberal policy with regard to the acceptance of homosexuals: She has called upon school principals to take action on the matter and she recently participated in a fund-raising evening of the Israeli Gay Youth organization, which, she said, will receive budgetary support from her ministry.

However, most of these changes concern students only, and therefore neglect the fact that homosexuals can be found in schools not just as students, but also at the blackboard. “Invisible Teachers,” a new study by Hagit Ashur-Efron, focuses on the problems and distress of gay and lesbian teachers in public high schools in Israel. Ashur-Efron, who is studying for her master’s degree in the sociology of education program at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, will present her study tomorrow at “An Other Sex 07,” the Seventh Israeli Annual Conference for Lesbian and Gay Studies and Queer Theory at Tel Aviv University.

Ashur-Efron interviewed 20 teachers and documented some meetings of Gay Teachers, a support group for homosexual teachers from the center of the country. All of the group’s members had made their sexual preferences known in their private lives, but in their educational work most of them preferred to remain in the closet. They had many reasons for opting to do so, including fears of being fired, of not receiving tenure, of negative reactions from principals and other teachers and also because of the fear that their students would consider their “coming out” as a weakness, which could also serve parents as ammunition against them.

“While the integration of gays and lesbians is less problematic in other professions,” says Ashur-Efron, “in the education system the old fear of legitimizing the alternative lifestyles identified with them is still prominent. The prejudices against homosexuals, especially in the form of stigmas concerning their attitudes toward children, are not fading.”

That’s a polite way of saying “The lying bastards are continuing to promulgate the utter bullshit that queers are all pedophiles and child molesters.”

Quote:
The Gay Teachers support group was established about four years ago and was active for two years. Nurit notes that there were significant differences between teachers of different ages and in different phases of coming out of the closet. Only a few of them spoke about their sexual preferences during class, although most of them assumed that the teachers and students at their schools knew about their sexual preferences, even without their publicizing them. “The idea was to create a framework for discussing difficulties, on the assumption that a teacher who isn’t ‘out’ misses the opportunity to help students who are agonizing over these issues and also misses out on an important aspect of teaching by personal example,” Nurit says.

“Teachers and educators are supposed to promote acceptance of the different and the exceptional in society and instill values of tolerance and multiculturalism in students,” adds Ashur-Efron. “Therefore, the teacher’s personality is also important. Many of the teachers I met with related that they feel that if they do not tell their students about their being gay or lesbian, they are not properly fulfilling their role as someone who is not just supposed to transmit information and knowledge, but also to give an example from their life experience, to show a way of living.”

The teachers told her how they maneuver between their identities and weave “cover stories”: When they spoke about their partner at school they would make it sound like they were in a heterosexual relationship; they made a point of avoiding any physical contact with their partner in the the school’s environs; and if students brought up questions on the status of the homosexual community, these teachers stressed the rights of minority groups but disassociated themselves from the topic and sometimes even refrained from expressing explicit support.

“In so doing they are reiterating the traditional separation between the private sphere and the public-political sphere, which most feminist and queer theories undermine,” says Ashur-Efron. “Through their very being, as people who are different in some way and acting in a public space, they should be undermining this distinction. But teachers who choose to remain in the closet are actually helping to confine sexuality to the private sphere. In this way they are in effect once again confirming heterosexuality as the main form of sexuality, about which no questions are asked.”

The article goes on to detail cases where queer teachers came out, and received support and affirmation from their students and co-workers. However, it also outlines cases where queer teachers did not feel secure enough to come out, even with homosexual students. The article ends with these quotes:

Quote:
Nevertheless, Nurit says, “there is still a huge population of teachers who don’t think they need to talk about themselves or about these topics at school, despite their educational and cultural importance; there are still homophobic prejudices and insinuations. I believe that personal revelations by teachers contribute a great deal, but I am not going to try to convince a colleague to come out of the closet if he isn’t ready for it and he isn’t at peace with it.”

Harlap concurs: “It’s a very personal process that everyone goes through at his own pace, and contrary to those who believe in outing and exposure at any price, I don’t consider this to be an ideology. I don’t think that in every case teachers need to come out of the closet. There is no certainty that a teacher who comes out of the closet will necessarily ease the sufferings of his homosexual students.”

I couldn’t disagree more. I think it is incumbent on queer adults, particularly queer teachers, to be open -- at the *very* least -- with their queer students. To brush off the potential to make a huge difference in a young queer person’s life, especially one who might be struggling with the idea of dropping out because of bullying and homophobia, is irresponsible, to say the least.

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Coming out of classroom closet a challenge for teachers,  PostPosted: May 28, 2007 - 06:31 PM
Site Admin

An openly gay teacher often is, of course, in danger of loosing his job. However, it's in the very nature of teaching to provide an example of integrity by one's own existence. Theoretically, I would agree into the notion that teachers should be open at their sexuality, even if they are risking the basis of their existence. But for this, we as community must demand from other gays at least the readiness to compensate their financial losses in case these teachers are fired. The responsibility for the future of gay people must be distributed justly.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Coming out of classroom closet a challenge for teachers,  PostPosted: May 28, 2007 - 11:31 PM

Quote:
“an advisory committee on the gay community,” which will examine the attitude toward homosexual students and suggest ways of integrating them in schools. The committee’s aim is to try to prevent the feeling of isolation from which many of them suffer.

An 'advisory committee' -- by every god, how completely precious. A committee... and it's going to advise. That is just so very special. One wonders who is on this committee. Surely there can be little question as to what the attitude toward homosexual students is in this locale. I mean... this is rather like convening a body of advisers to consult on what the weather is like today -- stick your head out of the window instead. That they also seek to gain 'suggestions' on how to "integrate" these students seems to indicate that they know perfectly well what the prevailing attitudes are in these schools.

As for their avowed goals, "isolation" is not among the problems that Gay students report as among their chief concerns. In most locations a majority of Gay students deny feeling isolated at all. What they DO report is widespread and intolerable physical and verbal abuse. They also report an unacceptable level of discrimination (of a variety of types).

The chief remedy for the actual problems the students face would be to physically remove the immediate cause of those problems. In some regions this amounts to a handful of problematic persons. In others it requires the complete separation of the Gay students. Most "feminist and queer theories" notwithstanding, the traditional separation between the private sphere and the public-political sphere is a perfectly workable solution to this situation all the way around. The Gay kids would be better served by a Gay school and the Gay teachers would be better served by teaching them. Naturally, "feminist theory" and "queer theory" might not be well served by this set-up, but then I thought we were talking about children, not over-educated theorists with peculiar, experimental ideas that are by no means undisputed.

Of course, I'm a hard-liner on this issue. The moderates are welcome to make their half-measure attempts (though I'd prefer that they make a better effort at lowering the death-toll). My less than cheery prediction on the outcome of this particular effort is that it will relate nothing of importance, suggest nothing of value, and accomplish nothing of substance in regards to the lives of these Gay kids. I don't think its really intended to. I'm unclear as to what they seek to accomplish by publicizing the fiction of the attempt -- those who would fall for such platitudes are just as easily fooled into agreeing that there never was a problem to begin with.

Jump to: