Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: UK survey: homophobia is widespread in the workplace  PostPosted: May 20, 2007 - 02:38 AM

The Independent:

Quote:
More than five million people - almost one in six adult Britons - have seen gay or lesbian colleagues being physically or verbally bullied at work as a direct result of their sexuality.

The findings, based on research commissioned by Stonewall, the gay rights group, reveal workplace homophobia to be widespread. Published this week, the YouGov survey of more than 2,000 people provides a snapshot of attitudes towards lesbians and gay men in Britain and the extent of prejudice against them.

British people are largely tolerant of gay people with nine out of 10 support ing laws to protect them. But Stonewall said the poll does highlight significant pockets of prejudice, especially in the workplace.

Alan Wardle, Stonewall's director of public affairs, said: "We need strong messages from managers that homophobia will not be tolerated."

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject: RE: UK survey: homophobia is widespread in the workplace  PostPosted: May 24, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Ironically, Majority In UK Support LGBT Civil Rights

Quote:
(London) A new poll shows that 85 percent of the British public supports legislation that makes it illegal to discriminate in the workplace, accommodation and adoption against gays and lesbians.

Feral
Post subject: RE: UK survey: homophobia is widespread in the workplace  PostPosted: May 24, 2007 - 09:21 PM

This 85% will, I suppose, be surprised then to learn that it has been illegal to discriminate in the workplace in Britain for some years now.

This "one in six adult Britons" who have seen "gay or lesbian colleagues being physically or verbally bullied at work as a direct result of their sexuality" might also be read as 'one in six Britons who choose to do absolutely nothing about homophobic harassment' (despite the fact that it is quite illegal, and likewise illegal to do nothing at all about it).

I'm afraid I must discount this absurd poll as nothing more than so much sunshine being blown up my skirt. If so many Britons support the existing legislation, they they are quite welcome to start complying with it, including their legislated 'duty to report.' The ongoing state of affairs in the United Kingdom does not support the veracity of this 85% claim. Oh no... it looks a whole lot more like a passel of sheep responding to a questionnaire in the manner that they think they are supposed to.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Re: RE: UK survey: homophobia is widespread in the workplace  PostPosted: May 25, 2007 - 08:04 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
Oh no... it looks a whole lot more like a passel of sheep responding to a questionnaire in the manner that they think they are supposed to.

People being simple opportunists? You evil man, how dare you. Wink

I guess in case of a changed governmental policies, from those 85%, some 70% will easily switch to the exact opposite of views, and a 85% strong majority will strongly condemn homosexuals and demand for their isolation from society. Just look at realities in Poland now, and you will gain an impression on how many people actually have an independent mind on human rights. Now someone can tell me that Poles are simply less educated on this issue and that tolerance can be taught with the pace of time and that Poles are able to change in the future. True, but intolerance can be taught as well, and somehow I feel there is much effort in this field, worldwide.

Feral
Post subject: Re: RE: UK survey: homophobia is widespread in the workplace  PostPosted: May 25, 2007 - 07:49 PM

vanrozenheim wrote:
Now someone can tell me that Poles are simply less educated on this issue and that tolerance can be taught with the pace of time and that Poles are able to change in the future. True, but intolerance can be taught as well, and somehow I feel there is much effort in this field, worldwide.

I fear that "someone" will not be me. Perhaps my mood is too sour these days.

I am put in mind of something my mentor told me back in my days at university (and yes, Wink Archaeopteryx hopped about in the trees back then):

You cannot teach anyone anything. People learn, it is true, but it is the great myth of our time that there is some connection between the avocation called "teaching" and the avocation called "learning". In truth there are no teachers, only people who try to facilitate learning.

Jump to: