Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Malawi: homosexuals exist in prison, MP sez  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 02:19 PM

The Malawi Nation

Quote:
The words 'homosexuals' and 'lesbians' were almost a taboo in Malawi and most parts of Africa. But in today's fast modernised world, they are becoming common in our society. Although it is not easy to come across a person in the country who can publicly declare that he or she is gay or lesbian, their existence cannot be ruled out.

Gee, you think maybe one reason it's difficult to find anyone willing to admit publicly that they are queer is because it's illegal in Malawi, ya muttonhead? But gee, it's sure nice that you're willing to admit the possibility that queers maybe, just might exist. Or, at least, not rule the possibility out. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
One place where this act is reported to be rampant is in prisons. But it remains mere speculation as none of the inmates or Malawi Prisons Service officials has confirmed.

Balaka North Member of Parliament Lucius Banda, who spent more than two months at Zomba Maximum Prison, confirms that homosexuality, popularly known as "chikayidi" within the prisons, is rampant.

"Homosexuality is very common, in fact it is not a secret, there are couples in prisons," he says. "I am a witness. One of my jobs in prison was to protect young boys who are the main victims of this act."

He said the prison authorities convened a meeting to establish if what a newspaper article said about sodomy in prison was a true reflection of what was happening inside.

"I and some few friends attended the meeting and we made it clear to the authorities that homosexuality was rampant and in response, they separated the boys from the nyapalas. I tell you, we were in problems, the nyapalas wanted to beat us up because they said we had initiated that their 'wives' should be taken away from them," he said.

Nice... no possibility that any gay sex is consensual, there's only "victims of this act". Jebus... and besides, if it really isn't consensual, it is rape, pure and simple, and there is no reason to suspect that the perpetrators (or victims) are homosexual at all.

But our activist friend, the prisoner-turned MP is not done yet. After lamenting the frequency of STDs in the prison...

Quote:
But the MP was not sure whether condoms should be distributed to inmates saying: "I would say yes because they are really doing it but I would say no because it will be like legalising it. It's a tricky situation."

'Coz, y'know, we wouldn't want concern for health or saving lives to interfere with our bigotry, or anything...

Quote:
Under the laws of Malawi, homosexuality is a punishable offence. Delegates to the constitutional review conference last week agreed to maintain the illegality of homosexual in the country.

Banja La Mtsogolo (BLM) has brought a new twist to the debate of the existence of homosexual activities in prisons. According to BLM, condoms should be legalised in prisons.

[...]

But it does not mean that all the prisoners involved in homosexuality are gay. [BLM Country Director Walker] Jiyani observes that some are pushed into the act because they are locked away from their spouses. He added: "Because of that, we would have loved to see condoms used in prisons to control STIs but the law doesn't permit it."

Like I said, we wouldn't want concern for health or saving lives to interfere with our bigotry, or anything...

But wait... we have a "renowned human rights activist" to speak up for us...

Quote:
A renowned human rights activist Emmie Chanika says it would not be wise to distribute condoms among the inmates for use in prisons. "I say no to condom distribution in prisons for the sake of our innocent male species. This will encourage the culprits to rape our boys and men who are in prison," she says.

This is just patently stupid. Homosexual acts are going on anyway, so why not do something to stop the spread of disease? Oh yeah, right -- because we don't want to look like we're encouraging the faggots. And, lest we forget, we wouldn't want concern for health or saving lives to interfere with our bigotry, or anything...

Quote:
Chairman for Prison Inspectorate Justice George Chimasula Phiri says although it is difficult to break through on matters of homosexuality in prisons, the belief is there that it happens.

"In the interest of preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS, it is very important to give them condoms but on the other hand, it would grow to a larger extent. It's like we are saying you can go ahead, its legalised by distributing condoms," says Chimasula Phiri.

[...]

[Nowa] said his department has invited officials from Prison HIV/AIDS programme in Sadc based in South Africa to come and conduct the research and an official stand would be drawn from the results.

Nowa says at the moment, the prison authorities in collaboration with BLM distribute condoms to prisoners who have finished serving their sentences for use at their homes.

.... in other words, we won't help protect anyone having homosexual sex, but once they're out, we'll give them condoms to try and ensure they don't pass along an infection to their spouses which they probably wouldn't have caught if we'd provided them with protection in the first place...

Oh, wait... here comes the minister of health... finally, some sanity...

Quote:
Secretary for Health responsible for HIV/AIDS Mary Shawa said government could not exactly say what they are going to do because Malawi Prison Service has not come in the open to declare if they have a problem of homosexuality.

Shawa, however, said one of the duties of organisations involved in reproductive health service delivery, especially those related to HIV/AIDS, is to provide preventive measures one of which are condoms. "So it's up to the Prison Service to tell us about the matter and how it can be handled," she said, adding that homosexuality remains an offence in the country.

Golly, good thing she mentioned that whole homosexuality-is-illegal thingy. It had almost slipped my mind. And, of course, that is an itegral part of the prevention of HIV/AIDS, all right, to remind everyone every five seconds that homosexuality is illegal in Malawi, in case they'd forgotten. That must not be allowed to happen...

But wait! Here comes the Renowned Human Rights Activist, again...

Quote:
Chanika, an executive director for Civil Liberties Committee (Cilic), suggests that inmates interested in homosexual activities should be separated from others. "The problem in Malawi prisons is that there is lack of control. Like at Chichiri or Zomba, 2,000 prisoners are locked up with no guards' cubicle inside that large complex. Let us sort out the mayhem in the prison cells and then you can distribute your condoms if you prove that our boys and men will not be forced into homosexuality. Or simply, put the homos together," suggests Chanika.

Yeah, that's a good idea. 'Coz, I mean, they're "homos", right? It wouldn't be rape if it was just a homo, right? 'Coz, like, they like it, and all. And we're concerned about human rights here, anyway, not sub-human rights...

Hang on! Here comes a moral, godly man... he'll speak out on behalf of compassion, caring, protecting the weak and caring for the sick, right?

Quote:
Chairperson for Public Affairs Committee (Pac), a religious grouping, Fr Boniface Tamani says morally, it is unacceptable to distribute condoms in prisons or otherwise.

Tamani, whose Roman Catholic church condemns any use of condoms, says the problem is that condom manufacturers and distributors do not explain that the sheaths are not 100 percent effective.

He said homosexuality exists and prisons are not exceptional but added that some people are born gay as an abnormality which he said should not be encouraged.

I cannot think of a more illustrative example of why Canada should accept asylum applications from every single queer who seeks to flee countries where being a non-heterosexual is illegal. (Well, actually, I *can* think of a better example, but then I've already started a thread on Jamaica...)

Of course, Canada will never do any such thing. Which is one BIG reason that I am a queer nationalist. We need our own state, where we can provide a safe haven for our people from around the world, because NO straight society is ever going to do it for us.

And, needless to say, if I was running this queer nation, the designation of "enemy state" would be applied to all places such as Malawi, Jamaica, Kansas, Alaska....

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2007 - 02:59 AM

An executive director for Civil Liberties Committee says that

Quote:
The problem in Malawi prisons is that there is lack of control.

How very insightful. "Control" is indeed a significant concern for penal institutions, for any number of reasons.

Balaka North Member of Parliament Lucius Banda says that

Quote:
...the prison authorities convened a meeting to establish if what a newspaper article said about sodomy in prison was a true reflection of what was happening inside.

Did they now? The prison authorities met to determine is what a newspaper says about their prisons is true.

Huh.

In between a newspaper and the prison authorities, I'd ordinarily imagine that the prison authorities would be the better informed.

There is more than a "lack of control" suggested by prison authorities who have to convene meetings to determine whether a description of their prisons is accurate.

The entire story reeks of confabulation and fantasy, beginning with the absurd idea that the existence of homosexuals in Malawi "cannot be ruled out." Of course it can't be ruled out -- there are homosexuals in Malawi, and always have been.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Anglican Church members in Malawi at each others' throats -- up to and including murder -- over queers, race, poverty...

Quote:
For over a year the Lake Malawi Diocese of the Anglican Church has been locked in a fight over the appointment of a pro-gay Bishop-Elect, Nicholas Henderson. While the church leadership thinks there is still hope for reconciliation, to some church members the church is split for good.

"This is the time that we should accept that the church is divided. Let the two camps operate within the same system. The church should allow people with different views to co-exist," said James Chibingwe, a parish councillor at all Saints Cathedral in Nkhotakota in an interview recently. Chibingwe is one of the church leaders at the cathedral opposing Hendersonšs appointment.

Since the appointment and subsequent rejection of Henderson All Saints Cathedral has been the mainstay of fights with a total of 14 people arrested so far following bloody clashes at the cathedral.

The cathedral is divided into two factions, one supporting the appointment of Henderson and another opposing it, accusing the English priest of being pro-gay.

[...]

Apart from the arrests of the 14, on November 10, 2006 a priest at the church, Canon Hunter, was reported murdered allegedly by the pro-Henderson group because he was anti-Henderson and a key witness in cases involving those arrested in the November 10 fracas. The cases have stalled since Hunteršs death.

[...]

A recent visit to All Saints Cathedral revealed that the problem is multifaceted and beyond Henderson being pro-gay. Apart from differences in beliefs, it is also a fight fired up by abject poverty with one side of the warring factions believing that Henderson would bring money in abundance to turn around the fortunes of the diocese.

"We know that these people think just because Henderson is white they would benefit. But we believe that a bishop needs to be defender of the faith, chief pastor and centre of unity whose survival mainly depends on his flock, not him providing for the flock," said Chibingwe.

Azadi does not hide this fact either. He said his group wants a "white" bishop who has the means to develop the diocese rather than a "black" bishop.

[...]

Former dean of the Cathedral Reverend Dennis Kayamba, traces differences among the diocesešs flock to 1992 when he says the diocese, then under Nyanja, tried to adopt a modern "born again" philosophy.

He said under the new philosophy there were some Christians who were propagating more modern beliefs such as that the cross, the resurrection and baptism were not as important as being portrayed in the Church.

"This has been growing with most people longing for change while others want to maintain the original teachings. The truth is that you donšt change matters of faith," said Kayamba who has been at the centre of controversy for openly challenging Hendersonšs appointment.

According to Kayamba this is also not new in the history of the Anglican Church as a whole. He said in England the Church is already divided into Evangelical Anglicans and Anglo-Catholics due to differences over certain practices.

... and it goes on...

Sounds to me more like church politics and power struggles within the heirarchy, and queers are just being used as an excuse. Once again.

I say bulldoze ALL the damn churches...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2007 - 12:48 AM

It's odd though -- my brother's wife is what passes for an Anglican, as is her family. Very active in their church, they are up to their ears in church politics (and there have been politics aplenty, as is the case with all social groups). I haven't really been keeping track (it's hardly interesting to an outsider), but some of the issues are quite upsetting to them. No one has been murdered yet though. No one has been assaulted. I'm not even sure if "harsh words" have been exchanged (though it very much depends upon the definition of 'harsh').

I think it's reasonable to say that these differences that lead to "bloody clashes" have nothing whatsoever to do with this, or any, church.

Jump to: