Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: Day of Silence  PostPosted: Apr 20, 2007 - 07:06 AM

New Castle school goes on lockdown

Quote:
NEW CASTLE, Ind. — Rumors of violence today forced a lockdown today at a New Castle school where some students planned a “day of action” to support gay rights.

Chrysler High School students were moved out of the building for a while, WTHR (Channel 13) reported.

For Thursday, other students are organizing a "Day of Truth" to counter what they see as a homosexual agenda.

The article conveniently omits any indication of just who was rumored to be violent. That's ok -- I can sort it out for myself. A television station says "the high school was locked down temporarily after rumors spread that a student planned to bring a gun to school during a Day of Silence observance."

Given the history of the Day of Silence and the history of those opposed to that observance, I think its fairly easy to divine which side of the issue was rumored to be bringing guns.

Last edited by Feral on Apr 20, 2007 - 07:15 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2007 - 07:07 AM

High-school students suspended for wearing anti-gay T-shirts

Quote:
A handful of students were suspended from a high school here for refusing to take off anti-gay T-shirts that administrators said were inappropriate.

The shirts, which the students wore in protest of the Day of Silence, said "Sodomy is sin" and quoted a Bible passage about homosexuality.

Phil Spears, interim principal of Rio Linda High School, said the shirts violated the school's dress code. Students were asked to take them off, he said, and were suspended if they disobeyed the request.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2007 - 07:18 AM

Students suspended after supporting ‘Day of Silence’

Quote:
The national “Day of Silence,” designed to highlight the bullying and harassing of students who identify themselves as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered, resulted in the suspension of two Gulf Middle School students.

One of the pupils at the Cape Coral school was suspended after other students began yelling about a sticker she was wearing explaining the pledge of silence. The other suspended pupil had distributed some papers describing the Day of Silence, sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network.

“These students violated school district policy,” Lee County School District spokesman Joe Donzelli said. “You can’t just hand stuff out without approval from administration. You can’t wear something that could become a disruption to the education process.”

The headline is more than a bit misleading. The students were not suspended for supporting the Day of Silence. These students misguidedly appropriated the failed tactics of the anti-gay opposition to the Day of Silence. Stickers are speech. T-shirts and hand-outs are speech. The Day of Silence is about silence, not speech.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2007 - 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
The headline is more than a bit misleading. The students were not suspended for supporting the Day of Silence.

Oh, as far as I can see the article in question is not about the "Day of Silence" but a propaganda for the "Day of Truth" as they call it. "Fighting homosexual agenda" and so on.

That's ridiculous - the article starts with a four-liner about students observing the "Day of Silence" and proceed praising the very hatred against gays which should be addressed by the action.

Quote:
"The idea was to allow an opportunity for Christian students and those who adhere to a traditional moral viewpoint ... to respectfully present their side of the issue," Johnson said. "What we've found is typically it's the Christian kids who are being censored in their speech so that's why this is being created for them."

Sure. "Fags deserve eternall hell" and "God abhors sodomits" are perfectly respectfull display of views as they are typical among Christian kids. I shudder when I think of what they might say and do when they weren't censored.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Quote:
"What we've found is typically it's the Christian kids who are being censored in their speech so that's why this is being created for them."

Ah, this is because its the Christian kids who, as such stunning examples of Christian ethics, cannot manage to behave themselves properly in schools. They cannot wear these disruptive T-shirts. They may not pass out printed literature. (In my day, it was not even acceptable to pass hand-written notes. Of course, kids these days are busily sending text messages on their cell phones instead.)

This thing that is being created for these so-called Christian kids is not lawful if the school objects. This has been ruled on in court case after court case. More and more schools are coming to realize that this sort of behavior is not acceptable. As I recall, this day of truthiness is the concoction of a gaggle of lawyers seeking to bolster their own bizarre court cases. They've been losing these cases quite frequently. If the so-called Christian kids wish to take their advice... I shall not object.

I must stress though that sensible gay kids and their straight allies ought not wear T-shirts that say anything, stickers that say anything, or hand out pieces of paper that say anything. The Day of Silence is about silence, not speech. No matter what illusions one might have about free speech or one's supposed rights to free speech in school, the Day of Silence is about refraining from speech.

There is a reason for this. Adhere to it. Do not imitate the failed tactics of your opponents.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2007 - 11:57 PM

Newspaper accounts in Johnson City, TN have it that high school senior Curtis Walsh was dismissed from school Wednesday "for his own safety." InterstateQ has been following the story quite closely. Today, Curtis' mother provided this update:

Quote:
On Wednesday, he was sent home as the newspaper article said, but we were given NO REASON (the paper said for his own safety). On Wednesday afternoon about 4:00, I received a phone call from Marable, the principal, and he said that Curtis did not need to come to school on Thursday. I asked if he had been threatened (Curtis) or if it was a punishment. He replied, “It don’t matter, He just don’t need to be here.” On Thursday afternoon my husband, Curtis’ STEP-FATHER, NOT HIS MOTHER, received a call from Marable saying that Curtis did not need to be in school on Friday. As you may guess, this fight is NOT over.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2007 - 04:50 AM

Noisy Protest Against Anti-Gay T-Shirt Suspensions

Quote:
(Rio Linda, California) Supporters of students who were suspended for refusing to remove anti-gay t-shirts during last week's National Day of Silence demonstrated in front of Rio Linda High School outside Sacramento on Monday.

More than 100 people marched in front of the school, carrying signs that said "School persecutes Christians" and "School supports Sodomy". Five of the demonstrators were handcuffed and briefly detained when they attempted to enter the school.

They said the were "trying to clarify with the principal what our protest rights were," the Sacrament Bee reported.

The five were released with a warning they would be charged with trespassing if they attempted to cross onto school property again.

The demonstrators all came from area churches.

This would be the same school as appeared in this post.

I must laugh.

California and federal law is pretty clear -- these so-called Christian students may not wear these t-shirts. This church reaction to the suspensions is peculiar in the extreme (and astonishingly counter-productive). Have they no attorneys? Are they unable to use Google? The moppets may not wear their shirts because of Tinker v. Des Moines; schools may ban disruptive speech. Adding disruptive protests to the mix hardly fosters the idea that these shirts are not disruptive.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 10:16 PM

Children will always be born gay. Enough said. That's my comfort and joy. Thousands of generations later and Mother Nature still nails them in the end (he he he).

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Jump to: