Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2007 - 02:20 AM
Site Admin

Study: 38 Percent Of People Not Actually Entitled To Their Opinion

Quote:
CHICAGO—In a surprising refutation of the conventional wisdom on opinion entitlement, a study conducted by the University of Chicago's School for Behavioral Science concluded that more than one-third of the U.S. population is neither entitled nor qualified to have opinions.

"On topics from evolution to the environment to gay marriage to immigration reform, we found that many of the opinions expressed were so off-base and ill-informed that they actually hurt society by being voiced," said chief researcher Professor Mark Fultz, who based the findings on hundreds of telephone, office, and dinner-party conversations compiled over a three-year period. "While people have long asserted that it takes all kinds, our resarch shows that American society currently has a drastic oversupply of the kinds who don't have any good or worthwhile thoughts whatsoever. We could actually do just fine without them."

In 2002, Fultz's team shook the academic world by conclusively proving the existence of both bad ideas during brainstorming and dumb questions during question-and-answer sessions.

Muwhahaha! Indeed, it takes several years of hard research field work to find out that some people have much to say about thing they don't undersand anything about.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2007 - 05:37 AM

I could wish that the Onion was not satire at times. Of course, were such a study really to be conducted, I would guess that the percentage would be far greater than 38.

As it happens, NO ONE is entitled to their opinion. Most everyone has opinions, of course. Some people don't, but no one pays them much mind. What conceivable power exists that may draw up a title to an opinion? What power can deny the right to form one? There is no such power -- it is an absurd foible of the language that this phrase "entitled to your opinion" can even be uttered. No one has any right to an opinion; they just have opinions.

The right to express opinions is often conferred by governments of all sorts. This right is hardly universal and is by no means as broad as anyone supposes that it is. I have, for instance, strong opinions on the efficacy of misting houseplants in general and orchids in particular (it can be readily demonstrated by experiment that there is no beneficial effect to this pointless practice) but the school board will hardly allow me to express these opinions at their next meeting. Nor would any court permit me to do so. In fact, there are few places where people gather where an opinion on the misting of houseplants will be tolerated for long. No one wants to hear irrelevant drivel.

Only a few show-pieces of the political right to "free speech" exist where any opinion may be uttered. As it happens, there is a public square near me where freedom of expression has been enshrined in law for several centuries. On days with fine weather one can hear any number of peculiar things in that square. Apart from specifically outlawed expressions (one may not incite riots or exhort people to commit crimes), no governmental agent will take any steps to prevent anyone from speaking their mind. I could preach the uselessness of plant misting to my heart's content there. No one would listen too closely. (The problem with such venues is that they are so filled with crack-pots that a certain taint of madness sticks to everything said there. It is noteworthy that I cannot recall even one politician or political candidate making use of that venue's protected speech.) Besides -- everyone knows that misting one's plants increases the local humidity... it says so in a hundred books. Never mind that this notion is demonstrably false.

The phrase "entitled to your opinion" though comes up more often is simple conversation. It seems people have gotten it into their heads that these opinions that they form in their heads have some sort of inherent right to be respected.

Ha!

This is just not so; an opinion must earn its respect. No one gets it for free.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2007 - 09:35 AM

They should do a study entitled "Now Here's Something You Didn't Know!"....LOL

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2007 - 04:14 PM
Site Admin

Sexual Orientation Affects How We Navigate And Recall Lost Objects

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Warwick have found that sexual orientation has a real effect on how we perform mental tasks such as navigating with a map in a car but that old age does not discriminate on grounds of sexual orientation and withers all men’s minds alike just ahead of women’s.

[..]

However for a number of tasks the University of Warwick researchers found key differences across the range of sexual orientations studied.

For instance in mental rotation (a task where men usually perform better) they found that the table of best performance to worst was:
Heterosexual men
Bisexual men
Homosexual men
Homosexual women
Bisexual women
Heterosexual women

In general, over the range of tasks measured, where a gender performed better in a task heterosexuals of that gender tended to perform better than non-heterosexuals. When a particular gender was poorer at a task homosexual and bisexual people tended to perform better than heterosexual members of that gender.

[..]

Article: "Gender and Sexual Orientation Differences in Cognition Across Adulthood: Age Is Kinder to Women than to Men Regardless of Sexual Orientation"Archives of Sexual Behaviour, April 2007 DOI 10.1007/s10508-006-9155-y

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2007 - 11:51 PM

75% of Brighton gays have suffered abuse

Quote:
Research into the levels of homophobia on the streets of the UK's gayest city has revealed that three-quarters of gay, lesbian, bisexual or trans residents residents have been on the receiving end of physical or verbal abuse in the last five years.

The survey also found that 21% of the respondents have been homeless.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 - 06:57 PM

BC study: lesbian teens face more violence than straights

Quote:
A new report says gay, lesbian and bisexual teens in British Columbia face more violence and health problems than heterosexuals.

The report was prepared by University of B.C. researcher Elizabeth Saewyc and released by the McCreary Center Society of Vancouver.

The survey found that gay, lesbian and bisexual teens were up to three times as likely to suffer physical and sexual abuse or harassment in school, as well as discrimination.

Members of the same group are also three times as likely to have become pregnant or gotten someone pregnant.

And yet the BC Liberal government has voted not to protect queer students...

(Bit more to story @ top link)

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 - 11:36 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Members of the same group are also three times as likely to have become pregnant or gotten someone pregnant.

You mean... teenage gays, lesbians and bisexuals are more fertile than STRAIGHTS??? Sounds little credible to me.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 - 02:18 AM

vanrozenheim wrote:
Quote:

You mean... teenage gays, lesbians and bisexuals are more fertile than STRAIGHTS??? Sounds little credible to me.

I'm not certain what to make of that statistic; I don't think it's so much a commentary on fertility rates as perhaps it is on the frequency of having sex, the carelessness/ignorance of having unprotected sex... maybe the degree to which so many queer youth still feel driven to prove their sexual orientation -- whether by trying to stay in the closet by "prove" their straightness to others, or by trying out straight sex in order to prove to themselves that "Yuk! That was awful! Guess I *am* gay!" Or maybe some of all of the above...?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 - 03:44 PM

Quote:

My first thought on this was "what was the study really of?" One would have to delve into the methodology to answer it. One of the difficulties inherent in the "LGBTQI" tactical alliance is also the chief motivation for that alliance: it increases the numbers of people involved. Unfortunately for the realm of scientific inquiry, the shared social and political interests of these groups do not always carry over into the matter at hand.

I think its safe to say that the researcher (who has done some valuable work) did not find even one Gay man that 'became pregnant.' There is little reason to leap to the conclusion that the research found that Gay men 'got someone pregnant.' Not that this is impossible -- certainly not -- but depending on how broadly the research cast its net, there may well be other groups in the data for whom this finding is more understandable (even predictable). The 365 story consistently referred to "gay, lesbian and bisexual teens." Pregnancy is a predictable outcome of at least one behavior common among bisexual teens.

Also, as Berto points out, a certain amount of experimentation is not unheard of among Gay teens. After all, did not my own mother recite the nostrum "how do you know you don't like it if you haven't even tried it" so often that the walls repeated it in her absence? (That's a rhetorical question: she did.) It has also been my observation that Gay teens and straight teens do not view sex in the same way. One key difference is that the straight teens have a vast body of cultural reinforcement dictating what they ought to think and feel on this subject while the Gay teens find themselves abruptly cut off from this cultural input with nothing to replace it. (Ha! My straight co-workers rail against the 'uncontrolled' character of their teen-aged children... they haven't seen uncontrolled.)

While this research does not, at first glance, seem to be as compromised as the Fair’s Fair report out of Australia, one does have consider with all of these research projects the possibility that they serve only to secure more government funding rather than to illuminate.

Were I to take this newest report at face value, I can only come to the conclusion that British Columbia's sex education curriculum may (just 'may') be appropriate for heterosexual teens, but is clearly failing when it comes to Gay, Lesbian, and bisexual teens. It will come as no surprise that I find separate schooling for these kids to be the most reasonable solution. It has the benefit of being a convenient solution for the other major finding in the research -- that Gay and Lesbian kids are not physically safe where they're at now. Unless I'm very much mistaken, its actually unlawful in British Columbia to willfully place minors in physically unsafe conditions.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Study: 28 Percent Of LGBT Workers Harassed

Quote:
(New York City) A study of diversity in the workplace has found that 28 percent of LGBT employees have suffered harassment in the workplace with nearly half describing it as severe.

Thirty percent of African Americans reported discrimination at work, as did 29 percent of Hispanics. With the margin of error both groups were tied with LGBT workers.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2007 - 11:29 PM

Here they go again.

Quote:
The study showed that the gay, lesbian and bisexual population was more than twice as likely as the heterosexual population to have used marijuana over the last year; nearly four times as likely to have used amphetamines on a regular basis in the previous 12 months; more than four times as likely to have used LSD over a year: and more than three times as likely to have regularly used ecstasy over the same period. Over 42 per cent of them said they smoked regularly compared 27.7 per cent of heterosexual respondents.

Lead researcher, Frank Pega is presenting the findings to the annual conference of the Public Health Association and says this is the first comprehensive evidence that differences do exist between the groups.

“The implication is that there needs to be health promotion targeted specifically at the gay, lesbian and bisexual community,“ he says.

Yeah, right... "the first comprehensive evidence that differences do exist between the groups."

I tried, I did.

In charity, perhaps he means "the first in New Zealand." Perhaps he means something peculiar by the word "comprehensive" -- after all, all evidence is not equal, or even persuasive. I will give the researcher all of that. It seems, though, that some crazed bubble of fantasy has popped -- did they truly think that there were no relevant differences between Gays and straights... none at all? That delusion borders on the psychotic. Where has this guy been -- under a rock (at the bottom of an oceanic trench)?

Had he asked me, or any other observant Gay person, twenty years ago to guess at the figures presented here, he'd have gotten somewhat higher figures, but the general trend would be the same. As it happens, I suspect his methodology is flawed (isn't every methodology?) and that were he to correct for those flaws he would get the higher figures of my guess.

There is a reason, after all, why the word 'straight' has also meant "prudish." It has for years and years. I think the usage may predate its use to denote heterosexual proclivities.

Yes, there are a great many things that straight people just don't do with any regularity or enthusiasm. They are welcome to their lifestyle, though it would be better if they did not flaunt it so -- they are poor role models for our Gay youth and this unhealthy aversion to anything that might be called 'fun' is not something they should be sharing with our kids.

Were our intrepid scholar to make inquiries, I think he would find that Gays also consume 2 times as much cake as straights, 3 times as much candy, and 4 times as much alcohol (and further, that alcohol is 12 times more likely to be something other than beer). Oh yes -- let's not forget the cigarettes -- we smoke more cigarettes too. Lesbians smoke like chimneys, as a class, though that would be in comparison to straights -- Gay boys do not smoke all that many fewer cigarettes than Lesbians. The cigarettes and alcohol are known from other studies (but surely these studies have no bearing on the population of New Zealand, and self-evidently they have few implications for New Zealand's Gay Maori population). Perhaps they should commission a new telephone survey... hmmmm? I just hate the thought of out-of-work telemarketers. By all means, bring forth the bean counters to refute my outrageous claims of Gay cake eating.

I stand by those numbers, too. If they find somewhat lower figures, I shall again question their methodology. It has been my experience that straight people, who really do enjoy cake from time to time, just don't eat it with any regularity or enthusiasm in comparison to Gays.

"There needs to be health promotion targeted specifically at the gay, lesbian and bisexual community"? Are they out of their freaking minds? Seriously -- any body of people, Gay or straight, who needs to do a bloody study to find out that the 'mos have been *gasp* doing drugs is just not the sort of people I'd think would have any chance at all of success with a health promotion.

The Gay people would benefit from a health promotion or three, but they would gain no benefit from some cock-eyed scheme thought up by the Keystone Kops. The straights might consider funding the existing Gay efforts in that regard (if they're really all that concerned).

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 03:55 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
Were our intrepid scholar to make inquiries, I think he would find that Gays also consume 2 times as much cake as straights, 3 times as much candy [..]

Now this might be the explanation for why lesbians are more inclined to being overwheight than straight women. Rolling

But it seems that use of the word "comrehensive" in scientific publications needs some explanation. You see, whenever you are late with your research (late because others have published similar stuff years ago), you need a reasonable justification for why your results are still meaningfull and should be published at all. Well, you claim your results are more "comprehensive" than results of those pioneer researchers. Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 04:18 AM

Ahhhhhh. Much is explained so simply and concisely. Many thanks.

I'm standing by my claims, and I'll up the ante: they are comprehensive claims.

That's right.

After two and a half decades of countless interviews, grueling (and nearly round-the-clock) observation, and a battery of exhaustive experiments, I can conclusively state that Gays also eat 5 times as much food in restaurants as straight people, see three to four times (it varies by region) as many movies in theaters (horror movies mostly), Travel 3 times as often and go twice as far as their straight counterparts, and (I really hate to say it) have 7 times as much sex by the age of 25. A cruel blow, I know, what with the average Gay penis being somewhere around an inch longer and all, but it can be hidden no longer. All those stories your straight roommates told you in university? Confabulations and repetitions of other men's tales. Yup. They eventually confess to it in their older years. They weren't getting laid anywhere near so often as we assumed they were. Many of them weren't getting laid at all. It must do just a terrible thing to their self-esteem.

I will beg to differ on the idea of overweight Lesbians. My observations have been limited to Gay fellows. It is they who eat more cake than their straight counterparts (often in entertaining custom shapes -- body parts, or at least certain body parts, are well-represented at Gay celebrations). I dare say nearly every Gay in North America knows at least one guy who will produce an amusing and tasty cake for nearly any occasion.

What's this? Its Canada Day? (It is.) Here -- I made you a cake shaped like a maple leaf. Bet you didn't know I had a novelty cake pan shaped like a maple leaf. I do. Bet you thought no one made such things. Nope -- they do.

It's actually been my observation that Lesbians are, on average, a tad slimmer than their straight counterparts. I don't know if they eat cake, but they seem to me to be just way too active. All those hiking boots and back packs. I've yet to meet a Lesbian who was not into walking just miles and miles and miles through unpaved and obscenely un-level places just for the fun of it. It's fun, they say. Tiresome is what I call it. (Though I always admired those shoes. I can't carry them off the way they do though. I look like a poseur.) It's been my observation that the skinny straight girls get a great deal of attention and the super skinny models get a great deal of press, but there is no lack of straight women who are (one might put delicately) "of a size." The Lesbians of my acquaintance are too busy having their own brand of fun to much give a damn what people think about their weight. The straight girls of my acquaintance are all on diets that don't work. They should lighten up -- maybe join the Lesbians on a hike through the mountains. It's my understanding that Lesbians don't bite (at least, not unless you say "please").

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
maybe join the Lesbians on a hike through the mountains.

And having a lesbian along might help you to fend off the bears (and sasquatches) who are out to steal your beer. Wink Razz

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Ahem. It is well-known that the simple and gullible bears do not steal bear. The sasquatches merely enlist their aid in creating diversions.

It is the sasquatches that steal the beer. Sometimes by the truckload (or so I hear).

Fortunately, the naive bears of these parts have little cause to fear being led astray by sasquatches bent upon mischief.

I did just recollect a small and possibly important detail -- I have never met a Lesbian who was not proud, PROUD I say, of her prowess at making S'mores. Never once. While there may be Lesbians who do not have this skill, I have never met one. While there may even be Lesbians who do not care for S'mores, I have yet to hear of one. S'mores would have to be classified somewhere in between candy and cake.

I cannot hazard a guess as to how fond of S'mores straight women are, so I am powerless to come up with a comparison of Gays to straights in this matter. I call for immediate study of this pressing issue -- in what ways do Lesbians and straight women differ in the making and consumption of S'mores? Further, while it is well-known that straight men generally eschew S'mores, there is little or no research on the extent to which Gays participate in this curious culinary ritual.

The scope of the problem, coupled with its obvious urgency, calls for immediate governmental sponsorship of a study..... NO a battery of studies... to be repeated around the world. After all, this Lesbian S'more eating may be a Western social-construct that has no meaningful counterpart among the Tongzhi. Could it be that there are no S'mores in China?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
It is well-known that the simple and gullible bears do not steal bear.

But do they steal beer?!

Quote:
in what ways do Lesbians and straight women differ in the making and consumption of S'mores?

I think the het chycks prefer cheesecake...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 05:51 AM

berto wrote:
Quote:
It is well-known that the simple and gullible bears do not steal bear.

But do they steal beer?!

No, Sweetie. That was a typo. Everyone knows that bears do not steal beer. It is the sasquatches who steal beer -- often with the aid of bears as pawns.

The bears seemingly wander into the back yard, go rooting around in a compost heap just long enough for people to notice, rush to the windows and gape, and whisper "look it's a bear... what's it doing?" Yah. Then bang, Bob's your uncle, the sasquatches have jimmied the front door, slipped into the kitchen, and make off with all the beer in the house.

Not the bears. No. The sweet, innocent bears are out rooting in the compost heap, not lurking in the kitchen.

Ever hear of a bear hijacking a beer truck? No, I didn't think so. That would be because bears lack opposable thumbs. It is quite difficult to drive a large beer truck without thumbs. Without specialized training it is impossible. Sasquatches, of course, have opposable thumbs.

And they often make off with entire truckloads of beer (when they aren't pilfering it in smaller quantities from your refrigerator).

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 05:58 AM

You will now notice the astonishing and unprecedented restraint with which I did not use the awesome powers of moderator to make my unfortunate error vanish. Unless, of course, this is a conspiracy to spice up this thread with talk of beer-stealing sasquatches. Were that to be the case, then perhaps I really did use my awesome and almost god-like powers as an administrator to fabricate berto's last post.

I mean... berto might not be 'berto. He might be some species of nefarious sock-puppet. Something may have happened to 'berto... something too horrible to put into words... something involving sasquatches... and this creature berto has taken his place. Hmmmmm?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 06:13 AM

Oh, so the bears are just witless dupes, are they?

Then how do you explain this?! Huh?

Quote:
A black bear went on a binge at a campsite in the US state of Washington - guzzling down some 36 cans of beer. Campground workers were stunned to come across the bear sleeping off the effects in their grounds, surrounded by dozens of empty beer cans.

But this was no ordinary case of a bear with a sore head at Baker Lake resort, 80 miles (129km) northeast of Seattle. He had apparently tried out and rejected the mass-market Busch beer in favour of local brand Rainier.

The bear appeared to have got into campers' cool boxes and used his teeth and claws to puncture the cans. Fish and wildlife enforcement Sgt Bill Heinck said the bear tried one can of Busch and ignored the rest - then got stuck into three dozen cans of Rainier.

"We noticed a bear sleeping on the common lawn and wondered what was going on until we discovered that there were a lot of beer cans lying around," camp worker Lisa Broxson was quoted by Reuters news agency as saying.

She said the bear was chased away by wildlife agents, but returned the next day. The agents decided to trap the bear with doughnuts, honey and, of course, two cans of Rainier beer. It did the trick and he was captured.

There even exists plenty of evidence of the boozy habits of bears.

So....... what did the bears promise you in return for shilling for them, huh? How did they get to you, mister?!?

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 06:15 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
I mean... berto might not be 'berto. He might be some species of nefarious sock-puppet. Something may have happened to 'berto... something too horrible to put into words... something involving sasquatches... and this creature berto has taken his place. Hmmmmm?

Alas, you were then still hardly able to boost his post counter to over 700? Whatever happened to the ' in 'berto it is only for berto's best. Wink

<rumor>Btw, I have even read somewhere that those 's were responsible for some users being unable to post in SMF forums.</rumor>

Jump to: