Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2007 - 03:45 AM

Fer...I'm laughing hysterically. Because your story is so true and so typical. I had a straight female roomie for a while in college. At least, she swore she was straight. I begged to differ. Anyway, one time she asked me (and a friend of mine) to accompany her on a date to see if this guy she met at dance class was gay. It seems all the guys she took a liking too either were gay or later on came out of the closet. That included me (she tried to 'convert' me one night) and a very nice boy who had been her boyfriend since she was in grade school. She was just a faggot magnet, that one.

Well, long story short...the "date" shows up with a date of his own...another guy. While at this über-macho sports bar, she kept asking for feedback on the "gayness" of her love interest every time we were alone. I engaged the guy in conversation and found out that he had been on vacation recently to Puerto Rico with none other than the guy he'd brought along. When I inquired about the places they visited while on vacation EVERY single bar and club he mentioned was a gay establishment. After they left, I told my friend that, frankly, she'd outdone herself this time. Not only had she managed to set her sights on what was probably the biggest queen in toe shoes, but one that was, quite obviously, already happily involved with what could only be called a "lover."

Maybe her defective gaydar was the result of the fact that Yvonne was a lesbian in heavy self-denial. At least, that's what I have always believed about her. Any well-healed het could clear have spotted that tippy-toeing diva from across a crowded room. Some things you just don't need gaydar for.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Study: GSAs show positive effect in schools

Quote:
Secondary institutions that have gay-straight alliances provide a more positive learning environment for LGBT students than schools that don't, according to a study released Wednesday.

Shocked Well. I never...

Rolling Eyes

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2007 - 06:57 AM

berto wrote:
Study: GSAs show positive effect in schools

Quote:
Secondary institutions that have gay-straight alliances provide a more positive learning environment for LGBT students than schools that don't, according to a study released Wednesday.

Shocked Well. I never...

Rolling Eyes

You don't say!

Surely they're joshing us... REALLY -- "A more positive learning environment"?

And someone did a study on this.

PIFF

They'll need to do many, many more studies, then. After all... these things must be reproducible before they can be accepted as fact. And let us not forget that dreadful bugbear of methodology; the phenomenon must be demonstrated to exist with a wide variety of methodologies before the 'reasonable' people will deign to believe in it.

(We're talking about people who aren't sure they believe in chromosomes, after all.)

Meanwhile, my 'bullshit meter' has just broken. It seems it suddenly detected a massive influx of some really fetid bovine effluvia. (Methinks said bull needs to have his diet monitored more closely).

"More positive?" What is this thing, 'more positive,' and does anyone even want such a thing? The mortality rate for a Marburg virus infection is substantially 'more positive' than the mortality rate for an Ebola infection. Do not tell me my lot in life is better if I am protected from Ebola but still subject to Marburg. I ain't buying it.

HOWEVER... GSAs are good for the kids. Positive learning environments don't really enter into it, but if that's what gets the hets through their day... whatever.

I went to high school, you know. (They kind of made me... it was NOT my idea.) I had eyes to see and ears to hear and I know quite well what such places were like back then. Since then, I've met any number of high school students, any number of parents of high school students, and any number of high school teachers (and a principal or two that richly deserves a criminal indictment). I'd really prefer to say that not one thing has changed in those wretched places since my passage through them. I really, really would. After all, this idea of mine that "not one thing has really changed" is a common thread through my discussions. Sadly, I can't. I have been quite unanimously informed that the hell-hole called high school has gotten worse... quite a lot worse... since I first identified the place as a hell-hole.

"A more positive learning environment"?

The street is "a more positive learning environment."

Any shelter for Gay kids is "a more positive learning environment."

A Gay home is "a more positive learning environment."

I have absolutely no interests in these people's self-serving claims of being able to remedy a situation that has grown ever more lethal.

But if they absolutely must do studies... I quietly point out that their results may be contaminated by any number of phenomena other than the GSAs that they attribute this "more positive learning environment" to. I quietly suggest that a new battery of studies quite likely will confirm or refute this thesis. Let them found ten thousand new GSAs in ten thousand schools without them and observe what, if any, changes take place.

One must, after all, have reasonable controls in one's experiments. Otherwise it's just masturbating with your clothes on.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Victimization For Sexual Orientation Increases Suicidal Behavior In College Students

Quote:
The study was provoked by a question from a 15-year-old gay male while Murphy was working on an internship as a school psychologist at a high school. The youth, who was suicidal and using drugs, asked her, "Does it get better in college"" She didn't know.

To find out Murphy recruited 528 participants -- 404 heterosexuals, 79 same-sex attracted heterosexuals, 38 gays, lesbians and bisexuals, and 7 who said they were not sure of their sexual identity. The students ranged in age from 17 to 26, with a mean age of 19, and 63 percent of them were female.

The study is the first to explore the link between victimization and suicidal behavior among college students. In the course of the study, University of Washington researcher Heather Murphy also uncovered a group of students who previously had not been studied and are at increased risk for suicidal behavior. These students identified themselves as heterosexual, but also reported being attracted to people of the same sex or engaging in same-sex behavior.

This group was three times as likely as heterosexuals to have made a plan to commit suicide in the past year and six times more likely to have actually attempted suicide in the same period. Gay, lesbian and bisexual students also were at increased risk for suicidal behavior. They were twice as likely as heterosexuals to have planned and to have attempted suicide in the previous year.

Sadly, the good Doctor does not answer the question. In case anyone forgot, it is "Does it get better in college?"

For all the fifteen-year-olds who might be wondering the same thing, the answer is yes. It gets better in college. It gets better still after college. (Someone else can dig up the statistics for similar questions pertaining to high school. My recollection, however, is that they are worse. As disturbing as Dr. Murphy's finding are, the data for high schools are worse.)

"Better" is not good enough, however. It's not even close to good enough.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 - 09:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
same-sex attracted heterosexuals

Now what is that? I can leave with Bisexuals and Two-Spirits, but "same-sex attracted heterosexuals" is a bit too much. What they actually say is that there is a group of teenagers who are attracted to the same sex, but are deeply offended by the idea they actually might be Gay or Bi.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2007 - 12:30 AM

It is also possible that what is referred to here is a passing infatuation. A youth might not be attracted to his own sex at all... except for this one particular lad. It is a grotesquely heterocentric way to phrase things though. As you say... what we have here is, in all likelihood, either someone who is Gay or Bi (discounting the scant evidence that suggests that there are no Bi males at least).

I was initially suspicious of this article, and remain somewhat so still -- "same-sex attraction" is a phrase used almost exclusively by the "ex-gay" crowd. Normal, sane people do not use the phrase. After all... it isn't a meaningful string of words.

Jump to: