Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: How a Gay Parent Can Support a Gay Foster Child  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2007 - 07:59 AM

How a Gay Parent Can Support a Gay Foster Child

Quote:
Should a gay child be fostered by a gay parent? England seems to believe so. The UK even has a charity specifically designated to place gay children with gay parents called The Albert Kennedy Trust, named after a 16-year-old runaway from a children’s home, who died while trying to get away from his homophobic attackers.

The Albert Kennedy Trust is on the right track: There are many reasons why a gay child may do better in a gay household. One of the things a gay couple can give a gay child that a straight couple may not be able to is a way of putting their life thus far into some sort of context. David Hirst and Sean Galligan are a gay couple who foster gay child Adam Deane. David told the BBC that he has taught Adam "that sexuality is not the biggest issue in his life; the baggage that came with it is." The result of that has been a renewed sense of self-confidence for Adam. "I had a bad opinion of who I was and my sexuality before I went to live with them," he explained to the BBC, but he is now much happier.

The article continues with four more reasons a gay foster parent is better for a gay child.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: