Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Lesbians I-HOPping mad for being booted for kissing  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
(Kansas City, MO)... Sandoval, 23, said the manager told them there had been complaints about public displays of affection at the women's table.

"He said, 'Don't look at me, stupid, like you don't know what I'm talking about. You know you were back there French-kissing at the table,'" Sandoval said, reading from a prepared statement at a news conference. "We didn't know what he was talking about because we hadn't been."

The women said they were told to leave and not come back. They said they wanted a public apology and wanted the manager to be fired, although they later said sensitivity training would be an acceptable alternative.

[...]

IHOP said the manager had undergone sensitivity training before the incident and said its restaurants do not treat people differently based on sexual orientation. There is no Missouri or U.S. law prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation by restaurants and other establishments.

"We're welcoming to all. That's how we built our business for 50 years," IHOP spokesman Patrick Lenow said. "What's not welcome at our restaurants are bold displays of affection, with open-mouth kissing and caressing. That's really not welcome at any restaurants."

"bold displays of affection"? Sounds almost like... "uppity". I see "bold displays of affection" in restaurants, on the street, in stores, virtually everywhere I look, all the time, and nobody bats an eye. Of course, those are straight "bold displays of affection", so that's different, of course. Most 'mos I know would think twice -- or three or more times -- before even holding hands in public, outside of major metropolitan centres such as Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal. I can only imagine this instinctive response is even more pronounced in somewhere like Kansas City, Missouri.

Even without knowing any more to the story than what is posted at the link, I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the women, who deny all the accusations of "bold displays of affection" by IHOP. I could be wrong, but I have a hunch I'm not.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: