Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
vanrozenheim
Post subject: Re: Jamaica Observer  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2007 - 02:44 PM
Site Admin

vanrozenheim wrote:

The overworked elves from the GRD do apologize for mixing two totally different newspapers together into one pot. Embarassed Even in Jamaica they have more then one newspaper, which can be very irritating... Rolling Eyes

Bus since I have brought Jamaica Gleaner into this thread already, I shall not let unmentioned that I have seen on their webpages advertisements from this company. This appears a bit weird, but on the other side... It could explain many things.

@KT: sure, but if you were a gay-positive editor and some guy had written some ugly stuff, would you let him write on the issue second time without supervision?

Reply with quote Back to top
Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Like any newsroom anywhere, it's likely that there are differing opinions and attitude among different memebers of the staff-- even in Jamaica.

People too often see a newspaper as monolithic. Yes, the Editorial page belongs to the higher-ups, generally. They use it to express their views. But that doesn't mean that there aren't, say, two columnists and three reporters who *totally* oppose that view... and say so everyday, both in the newsroom and in the tone of their reporting.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 09:48 AM
Site Admin

'berto wrote:
The reason I ask how far back you are comparing, Viktor, is 'coz this article dates all the way back to 2003, and I wouldn't exactly say it was anti-gay. In fact, that story got press (gay press, at least) all over N. America and Europe.

Now, not that far back in time. The last ugly article I got into my my fingers was from December 2006 -- absolutely inapropriate in tone.

What a difference to this piece dated 17 March 2007!

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 09:08 AM

The reason I ask how far back you are comparing, Viktor, is 'coz this article dates all the way back to 2003, and I wouldn't exactly say it was anti-gay. In fact, that story got press (gay press, at least) all over N. America and Europe.

... I had to go digging through my hard drive for that URL -- I *knew* I had it somewhere, but... gawd, my hard drive is a mess. I need top take a week just to straighten all this clutter up. *sigh*

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 07:39 AM

There were some changes in editorial staff last October. While most are unlikely to affect the paper's editorial position, some of them could possibly.

It IS a peculiar shift in tone.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
I am just wondering about the stunning change of policy of the paper, which was pretty homophobic before. A real change of mind, or change in ownership?

How far back are you making comparisons to, V?

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Jamaica Observer  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 07:14 AM
Site Admin

Since recently, there are several interesting publications appearing in The Jamaica Observer. Usually it is a curious micture of prejudice, apologizing christianity and finally pro-gay statements. Look at the following pieces:

Large number of gay cops
Quote:
But, if Brown-Campbell is to be believed, the offending cop was not typical of homosexuals in the force, who, she said, were tolerated and respected by their heterosexual colleagues.

"Those who we know are treated with a great level of respect as they themselves are respectful, refined and intelligent, their level of intelligence far outshines persons considered to be normal. The force has quite a number of them, men and women," she said.
Brown-Campbell gave gay cops high marks for performance, describing them as "the best set of police to work with".

She said straight cops did not mind working with them, adding that since 2003, the force had developed "a tolerance level as they do not bring their sexual advances to straight cops".
"They are very professional workers and their colleagues treat them professionally and work with them," the JCF legal advisor asserted.
Another senior cop suggested that the police force "is just mirroring the ills of the society".

The state and the rule of law (editorial)
Quote:
There is little value in such manoeuvring, in our view, other than to give the State the right to peep into people's bedrooms in search of what is not its business. If adult and consenting males choose to engage in homosexual sex, that ought to be their business - no matter what the rest of us believe about their lifestyle or behaviour. For it has little practical impact on the rest of the society, except for those consequences created by the stupidity of the law.

As we have said before, the only thing worse than creating bad policy is implementing it. Our legislators have done too much of both.

I am just wondering about the stunning change of policy of the paper, which was pretty homophobic before. A real change of mind, or change in ownership?

Jump to: