Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: RE: What  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:25 AM

'berto wrote:
Feral wrote:
Educate?

If you need a list of better things to do with your time, a list of more productive things, let me know.

"Educate," he says. *mutter mutter*

Oh, I dunno... if you check that original thread I posted, you might note that there are several posters (excluding the aforementioned know-it-all) who seem quite capable of "getting it".

Of course, there is this one, too: "Heterosexism", which includes a link to this Heterosexist Attitudes Test...

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: What  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:24 AM

Feral wrote:
Funny you should use the word "arrogance." Jeff Koslick uses the same word.

Quote:
An inevitability of any congregated group is a collective mindset which deems itself better than others, particularly when those others are so different as to be inexplicable to one's own understanding of life. So it's not surprising that primitive heterosexuals developed - and many less primitive heterosexuals have maintained - a thought process which can be referred to as Straight-Think. In essence, Straight Think is the practice of viewing everything through a heterosexual lens. For example, it's Straight Think which has labeled homosexuality unnatural and a biological error because, in its myopic view, it doesn't fit the rigid mold of heterosexuality. Therefore, instead of homosexuality being merely different, it becomes abnormal. Another example is the Straight Think inability, or unwillingness, to conceive of sexual intercourse in any terms other than heterosexual, and as it's the female who's penetrated in heterosexual sex, Straight Thinkers conclude that the male being penetrated in homosexual sex is undertaking the ‘female' role and thus the activity is feminine. This type of intellectual arrogance is the hallmark of Straight Think.

That's a paragraph from Colonies & Super-Families; A Vision For Gay Civilization by Jeff Koslik. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but he has given his book a great deal of thought and I value it for that. The whole thing is worth a read.

When Mr. Koslik says "Straight Think" he seems to be referring more to heterocentrism than heterosexism. Heterocentrism is the idea that the entire universe revolves around str8 people and the way they do things, especially their breeding. Heterosexism is more the overt behaviors and assumptions that come from this mind-set.

A lot of people go on about how none of this is "deliberate," that it may be reflexive. There is nothing "indeliberate" about a thought. This sort of argument is rather like excusing racism as a "nasty habit" brought on by how very many white people there are. We are (as a rule) each of us born into str8 families, we (as a rule) work with str8 co-workers, we go to the same schools, and shop in the same malls. As nice as it might be to spend all of our time in gay nightclubs, we don't (nightclubs are, after all, a luxury devoted to the young and beautiful; the rest of us find other things to do). In fact, we're around most of the time, and we've always been around.

Heterosexism is willful arrogance.

Feral

Andy wrote:
I am sure that if I were straight that I'd never give a second thought to gay rights or gay culture. I'm sympathetic to how we got this way.

At the same time I would be honest about it. I'd say "I never give it a second thought" rather than debate that. The arrogance of not being honest about it gets to me.

Feral

Feral wrote:
Educate?

If you need a list of better things to do with your time, a list of more productive things, let me know.

"Educate," he says. *mutter mutter*

Tehanu's definition of "heterosexist" is as good as any. MonkeyBoy's is a fine elaboration of the phenomenon.

The only thing I would add to the mix is this: heterosexism is most assuredly inherently homophobic. And apparently it's invisible to heterosexists, hence all the shock, utter shock, evinced when some frustrated 'mo decries a particular place as a "cesspit of homophobia." On a homophobia scale of 1 to 10 I would give Buchenwald a 10, a gay-bashing with a tire-iron an 9, the random Freeper slurs an 8, and the run-of-the-mill heterosexism found at EnMasse a 6. A score of 1, of course, is "not homophobic at all," and that is something that heterosexism will never be.

Feral
Post subject: RE: What  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:23 AM

'berto wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:
BTW, Heph, you're wasting your time arguing with Infosat. She's a homophobic, self-important turd... but then, you knew that.

That's why I'm not arguing with her. Nor do I have any illusions about educating her. But I *have* actually had some impact on a number of others there, including Aristotle, West Coast Tiger (who both regularly ask after you, BTW) and others. What I wrote in that thread is for eyes other than IS's.

Feral
Post subject: RE: What  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:23 AM

MonkeyBoy wrote:
My working definition has two parts.

The first is the standard 'presumption of heterosexuality,' or, as was stated before, heterosexuality as the 'default.'

The second is the presumption by str8 people that gay people are just the same as str8 people except for that trivial matter of who we have sex with. That is, stubbornly failing take into account the world of differences-- both in experience and aspiration-- between us and them, along with routine dismissal of the assertions by gay people that a vast gulf does indeed exist between us and them. This includes the str8 insistence on viewing our lives in their terms-- i.e, the more subtle forms of the old question: 'so, which one's the girl, anyway?'

BTW, Heph, you're wasting your time arguing with Infosat. She's a homophobic, self-important turd... but then, you knew that.

Feral
Post subject: What's YOUR definition of "heterosexism" ?  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:22 AM

'berto wrote:
I got into an interesting discussion over here about the meaning of heterosexism. This straight know-it-all posted:

Quote:
I think it's a natural assumption. Only 8 to 15 percent of people are left-handed so the assumption when you meet someone is that they are right-handed because it's the norm. Unless someone is visibly different from the norm we assume the default if wethink about it at all. When I meet people it's not that I am assuming they are straight, I just don't think about their sexual preferences at all. Unless I know different I assume people have full legs, are not wearing a prothesis on the lower leg.

I responded,

Quote:
... and that is virtually the definition of heterosexism.

The know-it-all replied,

Quote:
No it isn't. All definitions I have seen of heterosexism imply negative judgement of homosexuality. I am referring to assumptions made on the basis of norms. That is not a synonym for "normal". "Norm" just means average or usual not better. At a table it is always much better if I sit on someone's left because the other way around our arms get in each other's way. Nobody is going to check whether or not I am left-handed. I have to bring it up or they just notice when I am doing something.

A queer poster there then answered with,

Quote:
Actually, Info, heterosexism, while it is used as a synonym for homophobia, is most often used as:

"The tendency to see the world in exclusively heterosexual terms and to dismiss or devalue homosexuality. Also known as heterosexual bias." Or, similarly: "The assumption that all people are heterosexual and that heterosexuality is right, correct, and normal. Power to enforce policies, practices, and structures that enforce the invisibility of gays/lesbians."

(Both definitions if you google "define: heterosexism")

It's quite often used when challenging straight people to realise how LGBT people almost never see positive examples of their own sexuality. Ads, movies, TV, music, and so on, are all overwhelmingly heterosexual. Which leads to invisibility.

So if someone assumes that everyone around them is straight because there's only a small proportion who are LGBT, then that's heterosexism.

I added that,

Quote:
U of C, Berkeley defines it as:

Quote: Heterosexism: Assuming every person to be heterosexual therefore marginalizing persons who do not identify as heterosexual. It is also believing heterosexuality to be superior to homosexuality and all other sexual orientations.

Now, I don't really go to that site to learn anything about queer culture, or to listen to straights get defensive about their built-in prejudices. (Rather, I actually still have some hopes of educating some of them, and I have been asked repeatedly by several regulars there to come back. Anyway, be that as it may, staying on topic in THIS thread...)

What is YOUR understanding of "heterosexism"? I'd be curious to read the thoughts of others.

Jump to: