Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 07, 2007 - 05:36 AM

Free Download: Firouz "Warchild"

Quote:
Openly gay Persian singer Firouz turns some of his darkest memories into an inspirational message for everyone on his debut single "Warchild." Firouz came to Europe after leaving his beloved country of Iran to live a life of freedom. He now lives in Hamburg, Germany where he is a successful model, dancer and aspiring singer.
Firouz is currently writing songs for his debut album that serve as a soundtrack to his memoir The Story of a Warchild. "Warchild" has been remixed and is available on iTunes in the U.S. If you'd like to hear the original version of "Warchild" and more of Firouz' tracks, head over to his MySpace page. More of my interview with Firouz soon. (A big, big thank you to Firouz for allowing me to post this track.)

Some comments floating around on the Interweb suggest that the remixed version available at ArjanWrites (there are actually two different remixes of Warchild available on iTunes) is inferior to Firouz's original on his MySpace page. Besides, his sultry good looks are ample reason to visit the page anyway. It wouldn't hurt to listen while gawping. Sadly, you may only stream the three songs on the MySpace page (as opposed to downloading them).

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Jay Brannon finally got approved by iTunes, which means his "Unmastered" collection of songs can be bought there. Show the cutie some love and buy the songs -- it'll set you back a whole $3.96. Can you even buy a hamburger for that?

Incidentally, you'll pretty much trip over the soundtrack from Shortbus while you're at his page. It doesn't suck. Certainly the song by Jay is worth a buy, at least.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2007 - 05:26 AM

a quick peek (or is it a quick listen?) to the latest from Rufus:

Quote:
Rufus Wainwright has always been pretty direct. He's generally frank in interviews, has been openly gay from day one, and comes clean with dirty laundry pretty happily. And, as he'd tell you himself, he can be a demanding diva. "I don't think I mince words on this album," Rufus says in the press notes for his forthcoming Release the Stars (due in May). "Whether it's America, or my best friend, or my lover, I'm specific about what my demands are." Trust. And if you've seen Rufus in concert, you know he's also funny and flip, and likes to make fun of his fussy self, too.

That's why I kind of think he's partly serious/partly just being intentionally overdramatic in his new single (leaked online today[b]) "Going to a Town." In the tune, he sings poutily about how he's "so tired of America." He evidently wrote the tune really quickly, almost on a whim: "I wrote that in about five minutes. I remember distinctly that I was waiting to go to dinner and I had about twenty minutes to spare. I off-handedly said, 'I think I'll go down and f*ck around on the piano' and all of a sudden that song was finished. It sort of arrived. Those are always the best ones; they're from some nether region that you have no control over."

You can download [b]"Going to a Town" here (via Stereogum via Hard to Find a Friend). Indeed, it's languid and mopey and melodic and lovely and self-indulgent. And Martha (his sis) is singing backup. If you love Rufus, you'll like it. If you're not a fan, this probably won't change your mind.

... BTW, there's also a pic of Rufus with his man at that first link. Smile

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2007 - 11:50 PM

Defining the first same-sex station

Quote:
As of tomorrow morning, Toronto will get a chance to hear just what a gay radio station sounds like. Claiming to be the world's first commercially licensed radio station to specifically target the gay, lesbian and transgendered communities, Proud FM 103.9 hits the local airwaves at 6 a.m.

And once they're on the air, what will they sound like? Gay artists such as Elton John and stereotypical gay-community favourites like Madonna and Cher will be part of the Proud playlist. But Torontonians hoping to hear prominent, catchy local queer acts – the church-folkies in Hidden Cameras and the Polaris prize-winning Final Fantasy come to mind – will probably be disappointed. The current promos don't make Proud sound all that different from stations like Mix 99.9, using the so-called "hot AC" format – uptempo pop for the adult-contemporary market.

"Do we have to go `we're gay, we're gay, we're gay!' Wouldn't that be just as annoying as someone saying `we're straight, we're straight, we're straight!'" says James Collins, Proud's music director. "We all like the same music. It's not different – we might like a bit more kitschy stuff. We're a little more liberal than what the average station will play. Yes, we'll play more dancey stuff, and we're playing lots of openly gay artists and closeted gay artists, but it's just not discussed, like no one says we're playing Erasure, he's gay."

For listeners, it's a chance to hear how different sexual orientations sound. Or to find out if it sounds different at all.

Color me disgusted. There is little I'm in the mood to say about this article today, other than that the last paragraph is completely false -- so false that I'm tempted to call it a deliberate lie.

This is most assuredly not a chance to hear how "different sexual orientations sound" (whatever that's supposed to mean). As described, it's unequivocally not an opportunity to find out if it sounds different at all. You see, they'd actually have to play gay music, music by and for gay people, in order for any assessment of that sort to me made. Instead, this station seems bent on demonstrating their skills at playing mainstream music. When you play nothing but mainstream music, claim it's gay music, and then further claim that gay music must sound just like mainstream music.... what utter nonsense.

Does a gay radio station have to go `we're gay, we're gay, we're gay'? Ummm... yes. Would that prove as annoying as someone saying `we're straight, we're straight, we're straight'? Ummm... no. Every other radio station in the country does just that day after day and it's not particularly annoying at all. This idea that "We all like the same music. It's not different – we might like a bit more kitschy stuff" is a strange one. I've been force-fed straight music all my life -- in abundance. Some of it is quite good and I would have to say that I like it. I've avidly sought out music by openly gay artists for several years now. Nearly all of these bands are unsigned or have small, independent labels. They would benefit greatly from even the exposure of being played on a radio station.

You may not get to listen to Owen Pallett of Final Fantasy on this so-called 'gay radio station,' but you can buy three of his albums on iTunes. There's a web site as well.

The Hidden Cameras require a bit more effort to listen to for most of us. They have a MySpace page and a web site though and they'll gladly sell you an album or six.

Last edited by Feral on Apr 16, 2007 - 09:55 PM; edited 1 time in total

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2007 - 01:01 AM

I agree. I was dismayed -- but not really surprised -- when I read this same report linked over at enmasse. What, no focus on Johnny McGovern, or Kids on TV (to name just a couple? And, although I like a lot of straight acts, I would never say that gay music is just a slightly more "kitschy" version of straight music. I took it as a warning sign that Xtra was backing away from this project, and it appears that was a valid supposition.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2007 - 01:13 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
As of tomorrow morning, Toronto will get a chance to hear just what a gay radio station sounds like. Claiming to be the world's first commercially licensed radio station to specifically target the gay, lesbian and transgendered communities, Proud FM 103.9 hits the local airwaves at 6 a.m.

I dare to claim there were not a few other gay radio stations before this one to claim the status of the "first ever". Whoever wrote this article is entirely innocent in questions of gay culture, thus they should give the job to another scribling.

Feral wrote:
Does a gay radio station have to go `we're gay, we're gay, we're gay'? Ummm... yes.

Doesn't "gayness" define a gay radio station? To question this simple fact is alike foolish as to question the necessity of a French radio station to use French language in their programming. We could discuss about whether there can be a gay/straight classical music, but in the pop culture the difference is clear. The overwhelming majority of songs is dealing with love and broken hearts, and it is hardly possible to overhear the heterosexual or homosexual nature of the song textes. What they are attempting here once again is to feed us with the idea of a "general culture" as opposed to the "splittergroup subculture" -- where in truth a straight and a gay culture are existing side by side, though different in numbers.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2007 - 09:12 PM

Quote:
in truth a straight and a gay culture are existing side by side

Indeed so -- and always have.

One difficult peculiarity of gay culture is it's proclivity for appropriation. If one were to list the elements of gay culture that are creations unique to gays, that list would be short indeed. I can't tick off even one. But gay culture transforms and transmutes its appropriations, in the sense that Japanese culture owes much to the culture of China but is clearly and distinctly Japanese. To reference an article linked to on GRD's news page:

Quote:
“More than a language, Polari is an attitude,” says Baker, one that demonstrates how gay men “reconstruct their world and themselves from new perspectives, making sense of experiences that have no existing labels in mainstream culture.”

We do this with everything, we all of us do this with everything -- it is 'essentially' gay. Quite unlike the husk of 'queer theory' that is conjured up by the word "reconstruct," this is a profoundly different thing. Some would call it a holy thing. In fact, a growing number of people say just that.

There is ample gay music for a gay radio station to fill its broadcasts. Even this Toronto station's interest in playing music originating from Canada is no real impediment. The problem here is the station's insistence on being 'just like the straight stations.' Sadly, that makes them not a gay station.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Rufus, Rufus, Rufus...

Some pix, with links to an interview, more pix, lotsa good stuff.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Freddy doc to air on Logo...

I will not be able to watch this, having no access to "Logo", but apparently they will be airing a documentary about Freddy Mercury in about a week...

Quote:
Freddie Mercury: Magic Remixed is a pretty awesome look back at the Queen-y rock star's life and his legacy. Folks like Elton John, George Michael and Robbie Williams (who goes on and on and on about Mercury) offer their two quid about how influential and fierce Freddie was. And better yet, the doc sheds light on Mercury's background, family life (he was Indian), and talks to his family members, which is pretty rad. You'll not want to miss hearing Freddie's little old lady mom talking about her nice son who morphed into one of the biggest gay idols and rock titans of all time.

The documentary airs in a week or so (Saturday, April 28th at 9pm) on Logo...

Got a question for Rufus?

Quote:
This coming Wednesday, our very own associate editor Brian Juergens will sit down with Rufus Wainwright to talk about the songster's new album, his participation in the upcoming True Colors Tour with Cyndi Lauper, and whatever else you want to know about the pop star. If you've got a question you've been dying to get answered, drop us a line at editor@afterelton.com with RUFUS in the subject line. We'll choose the best and report back to you what Mr. Wainwright had to say!

Just in case anybody's.... y'know.... a huge Rufus fan, or anything....

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2007 - 11:28 PM

It seems more than a few people end up at Gay Republic Daily in search of KidsOnTV's European tour. It would be a sad thing if they went away disappointed. Here are the remaining dates:

Quote:
25 Apr 2007 - AZ Conni --- Dresden, Germany

26 Apr 2007- Rote Sonne --- Munich, Germany

27 Apr 2007 - Crossing Europe Festival -- Linz,
Austria

28 Apr 2007 - Donaufestival -- Krems, Austria
w/ ESG, GANG OF FOUR, & FELIX KUBIN

29 Apr 2007 - Club Bordo (tbc) ---- Prague, Czech
Republic

30 Apr 2007 - Tsunami Club ---- Cologne, Germany

02 May 2007 - Le Theo ------------ Toulouse, France

04 May 2007 - Razzmatazz -- Barcelona, Spain

05 May 2007 - ELASTICO Flexiclub --- Madrid, Spain

KidsOnTV will be back in Toronto for an 'album release event' at the Buddies in Bad Times Theatre on 25 May. This would be for the Kids' full-length album, "Mixing Business With Pleasure." Canadians get to buy it from Blocks Recording Club. Everyone else in the world gets to buy it from Chicks on Speed Records. It's pretty fun stuff.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 03:03 AM

Quote:
It seems more than a few people end up at Gay Republic Daily in search of KidsOnTV's European tour.

How do you know these things, Fer? Are you magic? Very Happy

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 11:16 AM

shhhhhhhhh

yes

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 11:48 AM

hee-hee Mr. Green

Anyways, Jake and the Sisters have a new video out...

Quote:
The Scissor Sisters have just finished filming their new single Kiss You Off.

[...]

Ana Matronic takes lead in this Blondie-esque anthem to breaking up "I think it's one of the most polished and professional looking things we've ever done but don't hold that against us; it was so much fun to do. We hope you like it," says Ana Matronic.

Stills @ link...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2007 - 11:46 AM

Towleroad has an interview with Chris Garneau. The lad only just released his debut album and there's already another in the works.

This is a good thing.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Agitprop Records is soon (though hardly soon enough for my taste) to back online. This is, in some quarters, Earth-shaking news. (OK, many of those quarters are in my own house, but there will surely be others.) Queer Control Records is new to the neighborhood, but I have a feeling they'll make themselves comfortable in short order. Chainsaw Records and Spitshine Records are still around.

Never imagine that House and Trance is all there is to Gay music.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:56 AM

Straight Radio Station Owner Energizes Gay Media Market

Quote:
Since hitting the airwaves nearly three years ago, Bayliss has charted a course for San Francisco's only independently owned radio station that has enabled it to turn a profit and become the most listened to dance/electronic radio station on the West Coast.

"The gay community, which makes up 15% of the San Francisco market and represents $670 billion in consumer spending, has a passion for dance music, but no one was playing it. So we launched Energy 92.7FM Pure Dance," said Bayliss. "We took an old-fashioned approach to our business model: local, live personalities and grass roots community involvement and went to work."

Bayliss and his team put together a radio line up of the hippest dance club music available with dynamic on-air personalities that today includes America's first all-gay morning radio show. Additionally, the Energy team began supporting local non-profits and taking an active role within the community. "We wanted to be the kind of station that not only played great music, but was there for the community 365 days a year," added Bayliss.

Anyone want to bet that the number one reason this concept wasn't put together by Gays is that "my orientation is just one small part of who I am"?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Isn't that just pathetic....

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Well, yes and not so yes.

Mr. Bayliss and his radio station appear to be fine and good friends to the local Gay community. Hardly surprising in and of itself since it may be in his commercial interests to be seen as a fine and good friend to the Gay community. We do not have so many friends, good or otherwise, that having this one can in any way be a bad thing.

I'm just asking if anyone here assembled wishes to wager some imaginary pink dollars against the proposition that the number one reason this concept wasn't put together by Gays is that "my orientation is just one small part of who I am." For myself, I would have thought the idea of a radio station playing dance music was not a good one, even in San Fransisco. After all, the bulk of Gay-produced music seems to be in genres other than 'dance' and I'd have thought it a pretty good guess that the tastes of the Gay public would follow that trend. This is probably why Mr. Bayliss owns a radio station and why I do not. Wink

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 11:57 PM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
I'm just asking if anyone here assembled wishes to wager some imaginary pink dollars against the proposition that the number one reason this concept wasn't put together by Gays is that "my orientation is just one small part of who I am."

Most probably you have right. But it's also very well possible that lots of gay people simply have no confidence in what they can do. You know, the "Straigh Man Desease" ... Rolling Eyes

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Oh Yeah!

This is a clear example of Straight Man Disease. All things must come from the straight man. After all, he rightly rules the world. Why would anyone dare to question this Divine Right? Everyone knows that Gay people can't do anything for themselves. Certainly not something so difficult as a profitable radio station. This we must leave to the Straight Man. He will take care of this and many other things for us if we only behave ourselves well and keep to our place.

Not that I regret having Mr. Bayliss as an ally -- to the contrary: I find he is a rare and precious thing.

Jump to: