Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 08:47 PM

Clinton Campaign Forms LGBT Steering Committee

Quote:
(Washington) Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign announced Wednesday that it has formed an LGBT steering committee made up of prominent gays to reach out to the community.

It includes New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn; Elizabeth Birch, former Executive Director of the Human Rights Campaign; people from the entertainment industry including Greg Berlanti, the creator/producer of TV series “Brothers and Sisters” and Ilene Chaiken, the creator and producer of “The L Word” among others, and various gay people with experience in the federal government including Eldie Acheson, a former U.S. Assistant Attorney General and the founding director of Public Policy and Government Affairs at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force.

In all 65 people will serve on the committee.

“I’ve seen how Hillary Clinton’s experience, commitment, and leadership have made a difference for the LGBT community,” said New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn in a statement released by the Clinton campaign.

Christine Quinn? THIS Christine Quinn? Really? Oh my.

Yah. Good luck with that, Senator.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 09:46 PM

Well, I guess with Roy Cohn being dead, and Jeff Guckert already spoken for, and all...

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Well, she had to find *some* tame house-queer.

I mean, what with David Mixner pouring tea and dusting the knick-knacks over at Edwards' HQ and all: "Boy howdy, Mistah Edwards, we sho' gots us a nice campaign a'goin' ova heah, ain'ts we?" Yes, suh. Mighty fine."

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2007 - 10:40 PM

The Hillbilly ain't above *using* us, I see...

Coulter's words help Edwards raise cash

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2007 - 06:39 AM

More, re: Senator Clinton forms LGBT Steering Committee

Lavi Soloway is pissed off at Her Royal Clinton-ness:

Quote:
I have never received a satisfactory answer (political pragmatism doesn't count as an answer, folks) from any of Clinton's gay/lesbian "Dream Team" members that explains why she remained mute on the issue of gay immigration or more generally, but not less urgently, federal recognition of gay and lesbian civil unions, domestic partnerships, and marriages. And I do not refer to her silence during this campaign, but her silence as an elected official, my U.S. Senator, in fact.

I am unclear why she has not drafted legislation to establish federal recognition of gay and lesbian relationships, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act, a law which she seems not to support. She was elected to legislate, not to campaign.

Hillary Clinton is not just a superstar, an icon, a former first lady, a brilliant politician, or an exceptionally intelligent and masterful public speaker, she is also a legislator. And what has she legislated for our community? LOL, as they say. She's been there since January 3, 2001. Six-and-a-half long years of silence, ignoring the pain inflicted on gay and lesbian couples in New York state by discriminatory treatment at the federal level (no, it's not just a "states' rights" issue), standing by while relationships are destroyed, and families of New Yorkers are torn apart. All the while, a thoughtful well-crafted legislation that followed on the heels of similar policy in 12 other countries including Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia, was begging for her support. The Permanent Partners Immigration Act had over 120 co-sponsors in the House and 12 in the Senate, but Hillary Clinton was not one of them. Nor did she speak up to condemn the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act signed by her husband into law. (Only now has she dispatched Ethan Geto to explain to us why she feels part of that law is "unfair.") The gay marriage wars have been fought, won and loss in many jurisdictions in the past 6 years, but the U.S. Senator from the state that most likely has the largest lesbian and gay population in the country, has remained silent on how to establish full equality at the federal level for gay and lesbian couples. Silent. (You won't hear me clapping like a trained seal because she worked to defeat the Federal Marriage Amendment. It simply is not the same as taking proactive steps toward legislating equality.)

For this reason I am disappointed that such an illustrious group has signed up to the Hillary Clinton campaign. The experienced and committed men and women should take Senator Clinton to task for her silence. And they should be vociferous critics of her outrageous and offensive platitude (she couldn't possibly believe it, right?) that the Uniting American Families Act (formerly the Permanent Partners Immigration Act) would result in fraud and overburdening of the bureaucracy. The Senate horse trading on immigration reform is in full swing, where is the Junior Senator from New York working overtime to get UAFA attached to this bill. (Oh, yes she is busy campaigning.)

Pillars of our community, with all due respect, should not be signing up enthusiastically, giving her their early imprimatur and credibility (she already enjoys what appears to be unwavering love fest at HRC) as long as Clinton continues to reject the common sense approach: a statement of support of full and equal marriage rights coupled with introduction of legislation that would extend to all gay and lesbian couples the 1,049 rights currently bestowed under federal only to married opposite sex couples. Gay marriage is the defining civil rights issue of our generation, and our community should hold back its support until a candidate with uncompromising morality and courage to lead on this issue comes calling. We should not and must not rush to support one candidate in the primary simply because conventional wisdom has assessed her as most electable of the lot. We do not need more access, we need more action.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I don't particular care what Hilary Clinton says or does at this point. I won't believe whatever she says and as for what she might do... well, let's get real: she's not about to make nicey with the queers at this point. Common Demo wisdom is that we cost them the presidency the last time around. Us, and our intemperate talk of 'rights.'

And, know what? I don't think she's really *wants* to help us. Why should she? Her 'principles?' Oh, man, pull the other one.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2007 - 10:01 PM

I am curious as to why Ms Soloway is so keen to label these Clinton-boosters as "illustrious" and "Pillars of our community."

I will grant that I am more than a little free with "illustrious" on my own account, so I shall let it pass, but "pillars"?

I would consider Larry Kramer a pillar (one among several). I am confident that he is not participating in this steering committee. I can even imagine the colorful terms that would accompany his rejection of such a suggestion... Mr. Kramer would not, I think, be 'polite.'

I think Ms Soloway is mistaken on one small point: it is not that the 'illustrious pillars of our community' ought not be giving the senator their early imprimatur and credibility; it is that the Gays in the US should not be giving the Democratic Party their early imprimatur and credibility. You wish to take Senator Clinton to task for her silence? By all means -- be a vociferous critic. But has not the party as a whole been just as silent?

From a Gay perspective, the Senator is a wholly unsuitable candidate for public office... any public office. There is little point in these pathetic attempts to 'redeem' her or 'woo' her to a more sensible position. She not only does not merit our support, she merits our unending opposition.

Sadly enough, this association with the senator affects the credibility and political capital of the supposedly 'illustrious' -- not the other way around.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2007 - 11:41 PM

NGLTF has finished its analysis of the '08 presidential candidates. If you must, the pdf of the report is here. I find that a certain economy when talking about homophobes is beneficial, so I'll just hand you the good bits.

Quote:
U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich is the only 2008 presidential candidate who has publicly supported all eight LGBT issues. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is the only 2008 presidential candidate who has publicly opposed all eight LGBT issues.

“The public statements and voting records of the Democratic candidates show that they are clearly light years ahead of the Republicans on almost every issue important to the LGBT community. Nevertheless, the lack of courage on marriage equality is disturbing on both political and moral grounds. Politically, being for civil unions but against marriage doesn’t bring a single voter over from the other side. Morally, it’s hard to understand how a Democratic candidate can say to people they know individually and to one of the most loyal and generous voting blocs the party has, ‘Sorry, I just can’t go there — you understand, right?’ Actually, we don’t.”

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 04:36 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
I would consider Larry Kramer a pillar (one among several). I am confident that he is not participating in this steering committee. I can even imagine the colorful terms that would accompany his rejection of such a suggestion... Mr. Kramer would not, I think, be 'polite.'

Yes-yes, the most obvious reason why Mr Kramer's response would not be printed is his words ... ahem ... could not be printed.

Ms Clinton and the other US presidential candidates didn't come to the Gay community with a direct question "What can we do for you?" - no, their basic consideration is rather "How do we assure support both from homophobes and Gays, pacifists and weapon industry?" Likewise "How can we appear both Gay-friendly and conservative?" Apparently, their answer is to express public sympathy and compassion for homosexuals, while at the same time doing nothing what could improve the situation of Gays in the US. Once again, Gays get the tasty centerpiece of a donut.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2007 - 04:42 AM

Those tasty donut centers contain no dangerous trans-fats you know. They're quite good for you -- in moderation of course. No one ever got fat feasting on donut centers. One could easily starve to death on them though.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2007 - 01:49 AM

Keith Boykin has an interesting post up asking the question "Is Barack Obama Homophobic?"

It's rather long, so read it for yourself. In short, the answer is an academic "yes" (in that everyone in a homophobic society is homophobic to some extent). It's also a rather qualified "yes" in a more vernacular sense.

Quote:
In the meantime, I don't think it's fair to characterize Senator Obama as any more homophobic than anyone else running for president.

Now, I have to notice what Mr. Boykin deftly avoids saying here -- would it be fair to characterize Senator Obama as any less homophobic than anyone else running for president? Boykin seems to stop short of answering that in the affirmative.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 03:24 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
I have great respect and admiration for Barack Obama. My sense is that he respects gay and lesbian people and wants everyone to be treated equally and fairly.

Glittering wrappings, this. Mr Obama will have my respect if he clearly came up with some sort of a message what rights of Gay people he does support, and what is he intended to do for Gay people if he were elected. Does he intend to repeal DOMA and grant full legal equality to same-sex marriages? Does he intend to support the move to let the foreign partners of US residents to immigrate? Will the US administration do something for Gay refugees during his presidency?

Those are simple questions which can be answered clearly within 5 minutes, but somehow Mr Obama (and his competitors) are squirming and writhing in order to NOT answer such questions. Clearly, he will do NOTHING for Gays once he is elected because... well, you see, he even can't PROMISE doing good things for Gays during the presidential campaign.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 05:24 AM

Quote:
Does he intend to repeal DOMA and grant full legal equality to same-sex marriages? Does he intend to support the move to let the foreign partners of US residents to immigrate? Will the US administration do something for Gay refugees during his presidency?

He won't answer, but I might be able to guess...

On the first point, as a senator he has said this should be done -- I don't recall him ever lifting a finger to do so (or anyone else, really).

On the second point -- No. Are you crazy?

On the last point -- No. You must be crazy, and probably on drugs.

Just guesses, mind you. I could be wrong. It wouldn't much matter if I were wrong.

As president he would have almost no power to do any of these things. Any candidate who suggests that they would do these things if elected president is, well, lying. Much like Mr. Bush's earlier agitations for an amendment barring gay marriage -- I don't believe the president's opinion would ever be asked for on that matter. It's an issue for the Congress and the individual state legislatures.

Mr. Boykin may put some polite "fellow Democrat" spin on his remarks, but I sense a certain loyalty to Senator Clinton in his article. I could be wrong there as well.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 05:59 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
As president he would have almost no power to do any of these things. Any candidate who suggests that they would do these things if elected president is, well, lying. Much like Mr. Bush's earlier agitations for an amendment barring gay marriage -- I don't believe the president's opinion would ever be asked for on that matter. It's an issue for the Congress and the individual state legislatures.

Yeah, but from what I understand the US President has the pover to sign some bills into law, or to veto others just at his own discretion. He is not that powerless as you say? Ratlos

Arrow Going to take my drugs. Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 07:00 AM

LOL. He can certainly veto. The president's influence on executive departments is also significant (most civilized places leave the ministries in the hands of parliamentarians -- not the US).

Mr. Bush's (or Mr. Romney's) views on constitutional amendments though are of little import. Such things must be passed by two-thirds majorities in the Congress. A two-thirds vote may also over-ride a veto. While it is conceivable that a president's opposition might alter a hypothetical vote to over-ride a veto, it is passingly unlikely.

For some reason Americans perpetually ask their presidential candidates all manner of irrelevant questions -- about issues that would be of some importance if we were talking about a Senator or a Congressman. What would the president do or not do about this or that? The answer is generally just so much babble. He (or she) can ask the Congress to do something. So might I ask. Congress seems to pay about as much attention to presidents' requests as they do to mine. A candidates views on what legislation might hypothetically be vetoed are more relevant, but do not make such interesting subjects for debate.

If it were I who was to be elected (all the gods help you in that case), a great many things would be quite different (in places, alarmingly different), but I cannot envision a method though which I, as president, could affirmatively influence the will of congress on the issues of DOMA, immigration policy, or Gay refugees.

Some entertainingly aggressive measures do come to mind involving long-standing US policies regarding foreign embassies, but changes in the law... nope. For that you must elect a great many members of my party to seats in Congress. Alas, my party contains very few available candidates.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Mr. Bush's (or Mr. Romney's) views on constitutional amendments though are of little import. Such things must be passed by two-thirds majorities in the Congress. A two-thirds vote may also over-ride a veto. While it is conceivable that a president's opposition might alter a hypothetical vote to over-ride a veto, it is passingly unlikely.

On the issue of Constitutional amendments, the Executive's influence is yet more scant than that stated above. To be enacted, an amendment requires the separate approval of two-thirds of the state legislatures, in addition to the two-thirds majority of Congress. This barre for Constitutional amendments is set high on purpose: an amendment strikes at the very bases of a citizen's relationship to government, and vice versa.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Now I suppose some future Democratic president might further explore Mr. Bush's controversial use of "signing statements" to get around the unconstitutionality of the Line-Item-Veto. That could prove interesting (and entertaining, for those whose idea of light evening television is a political gottdamerung).

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Richardson sorry for 'maricón' moment

Quote:
Democratic presidential hopeful Bill Richardson apologized this week for using a Spanish-language slur for gay people, even as he suggested it smacked of politics that news of his “maricón” moment is surfacing now, more than a year later.

The New Mexico governor used the term as part of a joke instigated by talk show host Don Imus during a March 29, 2006, segment of his “Imus in the Morning” syndicated radio program, simulcast on MSNBC.

“Bernard on the staff here has been claiming you’re not really Hispanic so-- that you're just claiming that for some sort of advantage or something,” Imus said to Richardson, tongue clearly in cheek. “You can just answer this yes or no and this will answer that question. Would you agree that Bernard is a maricón?”

Without missing a beat, Richardson replied in Spanish, “Yo creo que Bernardo, sí — es un maricón si él piensa que yo no soy hispano. [General laughter] Was that good enough or what? [General laughter]”

Says Chris Crain:

Quote:
The March 2006 appearance is resurfacing now because of one reader of this blog. Christopher Hubble, a Denver, Colo.-based book publisher and blogger, e-mailed me after I wrote very approvingly of Bill Richardson's gay right record when he announced for president earlier this year.

Like several of the Richardson supporters quoted in the story, I think the Imus appearance raises legitimate questions about Richardson's judgment. He was clearly baited by Imus, but he replied using the same word without missing a beat. He was so anxious to reply he talked over the host. A clip of the appearance is available here.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
Democratic presidential hopeful Bill Richardson apologized this week for using a Spanish-language slur for gay people, even as he suggested it smacked of politics that news of his “maricón” moment is surfacing now, more than a year later. [Emphasis mine.]

Well... yeah.

Is this imbecile unaware that he is a politician? One running for office? Like, right now?

What, he thinks he's an HVAC technician, or something?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2007 - 05:45 PM

LOL

If anything "smacks of politics," it is this apology. That it did not come up last year, of course, fairly reeks of politics.

Quote:
“I would never knowingly say or do anything to hurt the GLBT community — a community that I have worked hard for and supported my entire career,” the statement says.

“In the Spanish I grew up speaking, the term means simply ‘gay,’ not positive or negative. It has been brought to my attention that the word also has a hurtful or derogatory connotation, which was never my intent. If I offended anybody, I’m sorry.”

It's a curiously inadequate apology. It contains five basic statements that I am supposed to accept as true without any supporting evidence whatsoever.

I do not believe that he would "never knowingly say or do anything to hurt the GLBT community." Knowingly? I would have to have a low opinion of Mr. Richardson indeed to believe that very many of his actions were "unknowing."

I think Mr. Richardson and I have very different understandings of the meanings of the words "worked hard for" and "supported."

Now, Mr. Richardson is a far better judge than am I of "the Spanish I grew up speaking," but I'm afraid I don't buy this one either. We are but thirteen years apart in age, Mr. Richardson and I. When I was growing up, the word “maricón” most assuredly never, ever meant simply "‘gay,’ not positive or negative." There WERE no words that meant simply 'gay,' neither positive nor negative... not until the word 'gay' came into use. I find it impossible to believe that there WAS such a usage just one decade earlier. Maybe Mr. Richardson grew up using some different Spanish than did I, but I very much doubt it.

Now, probably the 'good' folks at GLAAD really did suggest that the word "also has a hurtful or derogatory connotation." What connotation? The word's denotative meaning is hurtful and derogatory. It's takes a good bit of practice to squeeze a positive connotation out of 'maricón.' Any squabbles over the vagaries of connotative and denotative meaning aside, the context of the remark was deliberately defamatory. I would have to believe something quite peculiar -- something along the lines that Mr. Richardson is not really Hispanic and does not understand Spanish -- in order to believe that it was not his intent to employ this word in a "hurtful or derogatory" way. I don't believe that at all, so I just can't buy this element of his statement either.

The last element, this notion that (IF he offended anyone) he is sorry -- I don't read minds. Maybe he is. Given the context of the sentence though, I just don't believe it.

Jump to: