Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2007 - 07:44 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin of Ontario, Calif., has become at least the ninth of Coulter's approximately 100 newspaper clients to drop her since she used the word "faggot" when talking about Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards during a March 2 speech.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Eagle was running into problems with advertisers who did not want their names associated with Coulter.

Good! I hope the toxic bitch ends up *costing* them money.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 07:30 AM

'berto wrote:

The Coulter buzz is still electric

Quote:
When Coulter has said something uncouth in the past, most of her fans have rushed to her defense. But after referring to former Senator John Edwards as a "faggot" during her speech, many prominent conservative bloggers took offense, including RedState, which called on conservatives to "shun" Coulter.

As it turns out, RedState recently became part of the Eagle Publishing Inc., which has published some of Coulter's work through their Regnery shop, including, "High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

So, I asked a current Eagle staffer how the controversy has affected the company's view of Coulter. "Nobody's thrilled about it," said the staffer, who asked to remain anonymous because of their ongoing employment with Eagle. "Let's put it this way -- there have been problems in the advertising department. We kept thinking 'everything's going to blow over,' but it hasn't."

When I asked the staffer specifically what was meant by "problems in the advertising department," I was told that Eagle was running into problems with advertisers who did not want their names associated with Coulter.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Quote:
progressives shouldn't be pressuring newspapers to drop Coulter

Well gays and their allies should.

I would never expect progressives to support some gay issue. That wouldn't be... "progressive" of them. OK, maybe it would, depending on what this word 'progressive' means. I would definitely be out of character though.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 - 07:00 PM

*boggle*

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 - 06:23 PM

E&P surprised at liberal Coulter ally:

Quote:
Conservative Ann Coulter has an unlikely quasi-ally -- liberal editorial cartoonist Ted Rall -- as controversy continues to swirl around her use of the word "faggot" on March 2.

Rall, who shares a syndicate (Universal Press) with Coulter, threatened to sue Coulter last year when she "joked" that Rall had submitted a cartoon to Iran's holocaust cartoon contest. But now Rall has sent an open letter to the liberal MediaMatters.org and the Human Rights Campaign gay-rights group saying progressives shouldn't be pressuring newspapers to drop Coulter.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2007 - 11:42 PM

She's keeping her book deal though, apparently

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Eighth Newspaper Drops Coulter

From the Editor of the State Journal Register in Springfield, Ill.:
Quote:
As I read [Coulter's] column each week to get it formatted for publication, I became more and more bothered by her incendiary one-liners, the lack of depth in her commentary. Her column seemed more about getting cheap laughs than offering analysis. And it was mean-spirited, not insightful. In short, I was becoming troubled about her column....

When she used the term "faggot" in making a joke about John Edwards, that was the proverbial last straw for me. I made the decision to cancel her column. My boss and publisher, Jana Thomasson, agreed....

More than 250 people have posted comments on our Web site. Nothing with which I have ever been associated has generated nearly that much response. At first the posts supported our decision. The last couple of days the comments have run heavily against it. Those who dislike our decision range from people who merely disagree to those who threaten to cancel their subscriptions and never read us again, to those who use the most vile, hate-filled language to criticize us, calling us everything from a commie rag to a left-wing paper and worse. By the way, most of those whom posted comments or e-mailed comments opposed to us dropping the column don't live here and presumably have never seen or held our paper.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2007 - 02:15 AM

Broadcast MSM defends its continued use of Coulter as a guest

Quote:
"It's a world of `are you talking about me? are you talking about me?'" said Steve Friedman, executive producer of "The Early Show" on CBS. "And eventually you have to get more and more outrageous to be talked about. One day you cross the line and become persona non grata. I think she's getting close. I think Bill Maher is getting close."

Friedman has no plans to book Coulter on his show, but said he had no plans even before her Edwards comment.

Some people on NBC's "Today" show didn't want to see Coulter before she was booked to talk about "Godless" last summer, said Jim Bell, the show's executive producer. He overruled them. Having only certain points of view would make for a bland program, he said. Since Coulter is a best-selling author, clearly there's an audience that responds to her. Coulter also appeared on a "Today" segment this February 8, debating a University of Pennsylvania professor.

Bell said last week that Coulter's legitimate points of view are beginning to get lost in the noise of being outlandish. "She sometimes goes out of her way to push some buttons and tends to generate more heat than light," he said. "We love a lively debate, but we would tend to get people who would generate more light."

[...]

Still, [Tim] Graham [director of media analysis at the Media Research Center] said it would be "outrageous" if Coulter is blacklisted by networks but Maher isn't. The HBO comic angered some by recent remarks suggesting more people would live if an assassination attempt against Vice President Dick Cheney had been successful.

[...]

The remarks "won't stop conservatives from buying her books and her ability to sell books is what drives her bookings on TV," said MSNBC's "Hardball" host Chris Matthews.

Following *that* rationale, then why isn't Chomsky on "Hardball" (or MSNBC in general) a lot more often? He sells a ton of books. No, it's all about "shock value", just like Coulter herself. Forget about illuminating a little-understood topic, increasing understanding, or anything like that -- we've got a Freak Show to put on!

Quote:
CNN had scheduled Coulter to appear with Paula Zahn last Monday. The network said Coulter canceled her appearance. "We have and will continue to interview provocative guests and ask them tough questions," CNN spokeswoman Christa Robinson said. "We don't have overall bans about anyone. We will book them when we think it is appropriate to do so, on a case by case basis."

"provocative guests" -- yep, that's all they care about, is the Freak Show aspect, catering to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
A spokeswoman for Coulter did not return a call for comment. Coulter, however, did appear on Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes" three days after the Edwards remark and belittled the idea that it would do lasting damage to her.

[...]

It's about her 17th allegedly career-ending moment, she said. "It happens about every six months," Coulter said, "and you're always there to put me on TV, Sean."

And hey, if Faux has her on, then CNN and MSNBC and all the rest *must* follow suit, right? Is it any wonder that I hardly ever watch tee vee any more?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2007 - 08:25 PM

GLAAD has piled on. I find it peculiar that, in this instance, HRC (notorious for doing little, and late) preceded GLAAD by a couple days. After all, is not defamation in the media pretty much GLAAD's gig? But there you have it.

Quote:
GLAAD has conducted a preliminary analysis of Coulter's media appearances over the past two years. To date, GLAAD has tracked 124 national news network appearances since January 2005, two-thirds of which (82) have been on the like-minded Fox News Channel (with nearly 60% of those – 48 – on Hannity & Colmes, where her most recent use of an anti-gay slur was defended by host Sean Hannity on March 5). Coulter also continues to be a regular guest on CNBC's Kudlow & Company (17 appearances), Fox News' The Big Story with John Gibson (13 appearances), The O'Reilly Factor and Your World with Neil Cavuto (9 appearances each).

Coulter appears to have been absent from MSNBC since her on-air use of an anti-gay slur in July 2006, though she continues to appear on NBC's Today, most recently in February 2007. CNN has not featured her as a commentator since November 2006, and CBS and ABC do not appear to have featured her as a guest at any time in the past two years.

Does this mean that news organizations shouldn't cover Coulter's defamatory attacks? Not necessarily. There will be times when something she says is so obscene and so high-profile that ignoring it as a news story would do a disservice to news audiences. It's also important to remember that civil rights and social justice organizations will continue condemning her attacks. But given her on-air behavior, simply inviting Coulter on broadcast and cable television to offer her opinion on the issues of the day – or allowing her to use those networks to promote her latest book or public expression of vulgarity – is irresponsible and dangerous.

TAKE ACTION NOW!

Please contact NBC News, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN and Fox News Channel today and call on them to publicly state that they will no longer feature Ann Coulter as an on-air commentator.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2007 - 01:12 PM

For those interested in an alternative method of scoring, the Canton (OH) Repository has this:

Quote:
Three public figures from three different fields make remarks that are offensive to gays. Criticisms pour in.

But Isaiah Washington, Tim Hardaway and Ann Coulter have handled the headlines and hot lights differently.

Washington and Hardaway apologized, in their own ways, and coverage eventually tapered off.

Coulter took another approach, and her remarks, just a few days old, are still getting press.

[...]

Isaiah Washington['s apology] failed to keep himself out of the headlines. A Lexis-Nexis search of publications, TV transcripts, Web sites and other sources found 437 mentions of the story as of Tuesday afternoon.

[...]

[Hardaway:] Though he avoids the word “faggot” — unlike Washington and Coulter — Hardaway is the only one to say he hates gays and that homosexuality shouldn’t exist. Also, he says it right before the NBA All-Star game. This earns him a whopping 615 media mentions, according to Lexis-Nexis.

[...]

[As of last Tuesday,] Coulter’s comment ha[d] already received 112 media mentions since March 3, according to Lexis-Nexis.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
And two more make seven...

Hmm. And I just predicted it would crest at 7.

Contrary to popular opinion, I really don't much mind being proved wrong. In fact, I'm especially fond of being proved really wrong.

I didn't predict that UPS's reaction would fuel the issue, but I still think this particular round is over (if Ms Coulter can refrain from topping it... If she manages an encore, all bets are off). Smile

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 12:50 AM

We can be. Very Happy

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2007 - 12:19 AM

Meanwhile, some editors who are keeping Coulter explain why:

Quote:
"She didn't use that language in her column," said Michael P. Clark, editorial page editor of The Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville. If she had used the F-word slur in her Universal Press Syndicate feature, he added, "we would have edited it out."

[...]

The Casper Star-Tribune also plans to continue publishing Coulter. "I don't like Ann Coulter, but many of my readers do," said Clark Walworth, editor of the Wyoming daily. "And I resent being lectured to by people who don't even subscribe to my paper."

Walworth was referring to the liberal MediaMatters.org site posting the names of Coulter's clients and suggesting that people contact those papers. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC), a gay-rights group, has also urged people to contact some of the conservative Coulter's clients.

David Hampton, editorial director of The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., reported that his newspaper received about 3,000 e-mails since last night... "It's the most mail I've ever gotten on anything,"....

Hampton did emphasize that Coulter's use of the word "faggot" was "terrible, offensive, and out of line" -- and that her column is "really on the edge" of what his paper accepts. "We do monitor her column closely -- more than our other columns," he said, resulting in some of her past pieces either being spiked or edited.

"I think her popularity will continue to wane," concluded Hampton. "I believe ideas rise and fall on their merits, and I haven't seen much depth in hers."

Newspapermen are a crusty lot.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
Media Matters has kindly troubled themselves to compile a more exacting list than some vague murmuring about "100 papers."

You have to take Media Matters' info on this with a grain of salt.

Another of the papers I worked at, the Wilkes-Barre (PA) Times Leader, is on the list, but the listed Managing Editor is wrong. It's actually Joe Butkiewicz (jbutkiewicz@timesleader.com). The folks at Media Matters are likely getting the info out of their 2006 E&P Yearbook, and things do change.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 10:36 PM

And two more make seven...

Two more papers drop Coulter, and now Universal Press Syndicate is coming under fire...

Quote:
The Sanford (N.C.) Herald has become at least the sixth newspaper this week to drop Ann Coulter's syndicated column following her March 2 remark concerning Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards that included the term "faggot."

The DeKalb Daily Chronicle in Illinois, a Lee Enterprises paper, then became #7. That paper explained on its Web site today that it took issue with her syndicate, Universal, saying it had no intention of dropping Coulter because her offensive remark did not appear in a column.

"That's a lot like the Chronicle saying, 'She didn't say it in one of the columns we ran, so it isn't our problem.' Wrong. It is our problem, and not dealing with it is a cop-out," the newspaper declared.

"So yesterday we called Universal Press Syndicate and 'fired' Coulter. What she said was wrong and hurtful and stepped way beyond the line of human decency, much less political commentary."

The North Carolina paper, meanwhile, is "planning an editorial to discuss the decision in this Sunday's newspaper," said Editor Billy Liggett, when reached this afternoon by E&P. "The editorial hasn't been written yet, but the decision has been made."

Liggett noted that the paper had already discussed the possibility of dropping Coulter before the comment about Edwards, but the slur was "kind of the last straw."

[...]

The Herald also received more than 1,000 e-mails criticizing Coulter during the past two days from people who saw the paper listed as a client of the columnist on the liberal MediaMatters.org site. Liggett said about 800 of those e-mails were very similar, but about 200 others were written in a more personalized way.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Quote:
For all the hand-wringing about how Ms Coulter does not represent mainstream Republican views, in fact she does... perhaps not the official views of the Republican Party, but certainly of the Republican electorate, and that's what we're really talking about here.

Reminds me of an anecdote once told by Bill Moyers, about how a visitor to the Texas legislature was aghast at the behaviour, language and attitudes of the state's top lawmakers. To which his host and guide -- one of the state senators -- said to him, "Hell, if you think *these* guys are bad, you should get a load of some of their constituents!"

Funny, but true. Very true.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Kyleovision wrote:
If the number rises above 10 cancellations (and there's a 50-50 chance of that, IMO) UPS will drop her. She'll then get picked up by a smaller Syndicate.

I think the number will crest at 7. The "outrage" over the remarks is sufficient to protest a particular columnist, but at a local level it's not enough to cancel subscriptions, which is what it would take.

For all the hand-wringing about how Ms Coulter does not represent mainstream Republican views, in fact she does... perhaps not the official views of the Republican Party, but certainly of the Republican electorate, and that's what we're really talking about here.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Quote:
Andrew is so out of touch with ordinary homos that it's almost scary, isn't it?

Yes and no. Mr. Sullivan is most certainly what you could call "out of touch" with ordinary homos. What's more, he always has been. The thing is, there are a whole lot of 'mos who are far more "out of touch" with anything resembling their own best interests than Mr. Sullivan is. On some arbitrary scale with '1' being seriously out of touch and '10' being completely in touch (whatever that would look like), I'd estimate Mr. Sullivan at around 6 or 7.

Equating slurs is an impossible task. It's foolish to attempt to do so. They should just leave it at

Quote:
If straight people use it in the same way Ann Coulter did, people will get really angry about it"

If I were to suggest that the "F-word" was somehow on a par with the "N-word," what possible basis would I have for that comparison? More importantly, what basis would anyone I was trying to communicate that sentiment to have for understanding the comparison?

The entire phenomenon is best demonstrated, not communicated. Get. Really. Angry.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Quote:

But equating it to other slurs is a difficult comparison, Sullivan said. "Nothing has the power of the n-word," [Andrew Sullivan] said.

Andrew is so out of touch with ordinary homos that it's almost scary, isn't it?

Jump to: