Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 30, 2007 - 03:15 AM

A disclaimer -- the source of this particular snip of intelligence does not enjoy a reputation for reliability.

Republicans Fear 2008 Meltdown

Quote:
Bush's low approval ratings are an illustration. Some experienced GOP campaign strategists believe that there is virtually no chance that a Republican can succeed Bush if his approval ratings remain mired in the 30s. The Democratic strategy of investigating administration scandals and policy blunders is calculated to achieve exactly that goal -- and the burgeoning controversy over the firings of eight U.S. attorneys has given Democrats in Congress yet another inviting target.

To make matters worse, as long as Bush is unpopular, Republicans on the Hill -- already frustrated at what they perceive as White House indifference to lawmakers' political problems -- are less inclined to defend Bush from attacks.

This painful cycle has some high-level Republicans braced for the likelihood that last fall's rout, in which Democrats won the House and the Senate, may be a prelude to a 2008 knockout that would leave the GOP without control of Congress or the White House for the first time since 1994.

To underscore how tough things are for the GOP, Bill Pascoe, a Chicago-based Republican consultant with Urquhart Media, said "there are Republican consultants scouting state legislators for 2014. That's how far the long-range planning is going."

Why 2014? Because that would be the second midterm of a Democratic president.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2007 - 11:11 PM

Maybe pl' Mitt is a closet Commie. Very Happy

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Romney Bungles Cuba Speech

Quote:
People chuckled when presidential candidate Mitt Romney, a Mormon raised in Michigan and elected in Massachusetts, bungled the names of Cuban-American politicians during a recent speech in Miami.
But when he mistakenly associated Fidel Castro's trademark speech-ending slogan -- Patria o muerte, venceremos! -- with a free Cuba, listeners didn't laugh. They winced.

Castro has closed his speeches with the phrase -- in English, ''Fatherland or death, we shall overcome'' -- for decades.

''Clearly, that's something he was ill-advised on or didn't do his homework on,'' said Hialeah City Council President Esteban Bovo. ``When you get cute with slogans, you get yourself into a trap.''

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Wholly shit. What a total doofus!

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:43 PM

McCain doesn't even know whether condoms help prevent HIV transmission. Confused, he tries to make a joke, linking AIDS to gay people.

The Caucus (a NYT blog):

Quote:
Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”

Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.

[...]

“I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”

Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”

Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”

Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”

Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before....

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Perhaps so Smile

The Wall Street Journal should quickly run and ask if Republicans would move out of Massachussetts if gays should be allowed to marry there. No doubt three out of four of these morons would answer that they would, and thank goodness Massachussetts would never do such a thing because then they would have to sell the house.

Last edited by Feral on Mar 20, 2007 - 03:05 AM; edited 1 time in total

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 08:25 AM
Site Admin

Well, those Republicunts you have in mind are probably the same 77% who were against gay marriage in the Field Report on California.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 06:38 AM

Oh my.

Quote:
Rudy's Problems

Quote:
Fully three of four Republicans—including a majority of those backing the former New York City mayor—say they would have reservations if they learned Mr. Giuliani supports abortion rights and supports civil unions for gay and lesbians couples.

Oh my oh my oh my. "IF" they learned Mr. Giuliani supports these things?

Indeed, that would be a trifle sticky for Mr. Giuliani if they were to learn of such a scandalous state of affairs. Now someone... please... explain to me how three of four Republicans could conceivably be unaware of these facts? Use small words and brief sentences because I am dumbstruck, gobsmacked, flabbergasted, and quite beside myself in incomprehension.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Str8 Politics  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2007 - 10:35 AM
Site Admin

No, the worst might be (perhapts) that due to the aging population straight and gay moralists might come to the idea to raise age of consent step by step to 35 years or so... I would not wonder that once we ourselves are stone-old, some fellows would accuse 70-years old men sleeping with 30-years old men as "paedophiles". The entire hystery about "paedophiles" mostly deals with cases of pubescent or sexually mature males, which are by nature endorsed to act sexually as it pleases them. The Christian morality ridiculously insists that 14-years old boys are "children", whereby everybody knows they reach pubescence wiith 12 - 13. What is unacceptable is, however, that persons in power positions abuse their wards -- juvenile or adult.

Kyleovision
Post subject: Str8 Politics  PostPosted: Feb 26, 2007 - 06:18 AM

Will man-on-boy pedophilia be the Mark-Foley-esque issue in the 2008 race for President?

Maybe.

You know how the Dems were so willing to whip up anti-homosexual hysteria over Foley's antics in '06? Well, it now appears that Rudolph Guliani has a past with at least one accused pedophile priest:

Quote:
Giuliani gave his old friend [Msgr, Alan] Placa a job at Giuliani Partners, and Michael Hess, a partner at the firm and the ex-mayor's corporation counsel, handled Placa's legal matters....

[...]

[A fellow named] Richard Tollner last publicly accused his former teacher Msgr. Alan Placa of groping him in high school, but Tollner recently repeated the charges -- raising an awkward issue for Rudolph Giuliani's run for president.

[...]

After the accusations first surfaced in 2002, the Diocese of Rockville Centre placed Placa on administrative leave, barring him from priestly duties and from wearing the collar. Placa, who insists he is innocent, has not been charged with a crime.

[...]

[Plus,] ...Starting in the mid-1980s, when cases of priest sexual abuse came to national attention, Alan Placa played a central role in how such complaints were handled on Long Island.... Placa, 57, was a chief architect of the diocesan policy and one of its chief executors until he stepped down as vice chancellor in mid-April.

...Investigators are examining complaints that Placa and other top officials placed troubled priests back into jobs where they had contact with children, sometimes against the advice of psychiatrists -- a charge Placa denies.

How perfect for the Dems, should Giuliani get the GOP nod: the righties will fault him for being to cozy with the fags on civil rights issues early in his career, while the Dems get to use the above to label him a pedo enabler.

And... for us? The worst of both: The image of gay people as putative pedos gets reinforced, yet again.

Feral
Post subject: Senator Hillary Clinton  PostPosted: Feb 22, 2007 - 06:51 AM

John Aravosis on Senator Clinton

Quote:
While it's laudable that Mrs. Clinton is intent on proving that she's no push-over and won't take attacks sitting down, it's increasingly disturbing that the targets of Mrs. Clinton's rebuttals are fellow Democrats, and the barbs Mrs. Clinton is throwing at them are Republican talking points used to demonize Democrats as basically un-American traitors.

It started with Hillary's unique experience on 9/11 - the day she witnessed the world falling apart while the rest of us went to Disneyland. Then yesterday we heard about how Hillary thinks terrorism is a bad thing, while her fellow Democrats think it's no big deal. And today we get an earful about those nasty rich Hollywood Jews - oh, sorry, I mean fags.

Could Karl Rove have written a better script?

It's becoming increasingly clear that Hillary isn't running as a new Democrat, she's running as as a non-Democrat. Her strategy seems to be attacking everything and everyone associated with the Democratic party, and especially its base - and using Republican talking points, at that - in order to somehow position Hillary as a modern-day Diogenes, independent, above-the-fray, alone in the wilderness, forever on the look-out for honest politics.

In other words, Hillary is Joe Lieberman.

Funny I should mention that. Who are two of Hillary's top advisers? Pollster Mark Penn and media consultant Mandy Grunwald, both of whom worked on Joe Lieberman's 2004 presidential run. And we all know Joe "Surge" Lieberman, the man who just can't get enough of George Bush and the ever-successful war in Iraq. The guy who simply can't say a kind word about Democrats.

Jump to: