Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2007 - 01:04 AM

I thought you folks might enjoy some pics from out in my neck of the woods...

Idaho Peak (with Silverton -left - and New Denver - right - below; Rosebery is visible at the *far* right)

Slocan Lake (Just across the lake is Valhalla Wilderness Park)

Wilson Creek Falls (just behind Rosebery, where I live)

Now you've seen mine... let's see yours!

Reply with quote Back to top
Rain
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Fucking GORGEOUS!

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Mine will have to wait for a few days... unless you want pics of city streets. I notice that the customary signs of inhabitation are conveniently missing from your pictures, Berto -- this is not where you live, this is near where you live. Even on foot on the fringes of the Eastern Megalopolis an observant photog can take pictures of trees and water. Smile I just can't do so and work for a living at the same time.

berto
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Well, to be fair, Fer, there ARE signs of human habitation in that first picture... Wink

Feral
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 10:57 AM

uh huh. I suppose the hikers DO count. Are those logging scars they are admiring, or do they call them "fire breaks" up there like they are prone to doing down here?

berto
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 03:46 PM

I meant the villages down below, on the lakefront...

Rain
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Okey doke...staple pics of NYC. You've all seen them. But to make it a lil bit more relavent to sundry topics discussed thus far, I've included some not too run of the mill pix so you can see it with a wider angle than your average Japanese tourist.

Quote:
The city's eternal symbol. Even without the towers to frame her, Lady Liberty is majestic.

Quote:
The Pepsi sign in Queens overlooking the midtown Manhattan nightscape. The sign is no longer there. It was removed when Woody Allen started Silvercup Studios in that building. A lot of television shows and movies have been filmed there.

Quote:
The piers as I remember them. Thie first pic is the beginning of the demolition. The second one below it is a very early pic, circa 1970 before they took off the roofs of the loading piers. By the time I got there, there was only one covered loading pier left which served as a pitch-black orgy room at night. Oh, the madness and the mayhem...not to mention the cum stains.

Quote:
The Meat Packing District at the end of 14th Street close to the Hudson River. This is where my cousin, his friend, and I ended up the day I set out to find Christopher Street. At night, the area was infested with trannies and drag queens turning tricks. A few years ago, the area received a makeover as designers decided they wanted an "edgy" location. It is now the trendiest nightspot in town.

Quote:
The piers as they look today.

Quote:
But these kids spoil the view for some people. Pictured in these photos are some of my "gay children."

Quote:
But these kids didn't back in the day. These were shot inside the covered piers in broad daylight back in the bad ole days of the Vill.

Quote:
The Village today. There really is a Gay Street on the corner of Christopher Street and two blocks from the Sonewall Bar. In the 18th century, it was the street where NYC's African-American community was based. Most of the servants for the wealthier families lived there. Greenwich Village was considered a bucolic utopia "far" uptown from Lower Manhattan and its unsightly immigrant hordes in the Lower East Side, Little Italy, and an emerging Chinatown.

Quote:
The Stonewall Inn. It's the original location, although not the original bar. The upstairs is now a dancefloor. It used to be my friend Patricia Reddock's apartment when we were in college. Her parties were wayyyy cooler and wilder than anything that goes on in the Stonewall now. She lost the apartment when the Stonewall Inn was ressurected.

Quote:
The Village still has a small town feel. It's brick townhouses and cobblestoned streets make you almost believe you are miles away from the epicenter of the madness of the city.

Quote:
The East Village. Greenwich Village's grimier and hipper sister to the east. It's where I choose to socialize these days. Freaks are just better people in my book.

Quote:
My Sanctuary. Central Park. You can get lost in here. Unless you've spent as much time cruising the Rambles as I have in the middle of the night. No surprise it draws hordes of gay men looking for sex in its forest like sections. It is called "The Lungs of the City."

Quote:
There's a story behind those twin spires in the background. And one day, if you're nice, I promise I will share it.

Quote:
And lastly...two New York celebrities. Pale Male and Lola. Red hawks have recently made the city their home. They are indigenous but had rarely been seen due to pollution problems. The city is cleaner and all manner of wildlife abounds--raccoons, coyotes, herons, bald eagles, hawks, peregrine falcons. It comes as a surprise to some that NYC has one of the largest nature preserves on the east coast. The city's Jamaica Bay, a wide but shallow expanse of water protected by a narrow approach from Coney Island and Far Rockaway is the second largest breeding ground for waterfowl in the eastern U.S. People live on only one island in the middle of the bay, Broad Channel. The subway that runs to Rockaway and its beaches goes over the water and the view is surreal.

Quote:
Pale Male and Lola mating. The building is where some celebrities nest as well. One in particular, Mary Tyler Moore, complained about the birds and had them evicted. Management put up spikes to prevent them from nesting. Popular pressure and people staring into her apartment with telescopes made her recant. Pale Male and his mate were allowed to return and the spikes were gone. Every spring there's a Pale Male baby watch. People gather from all over to witness his offspring fledge.

Rain
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Quick disclaimer...none of these pictures are mine. I have tons of pix...but those will wait for another day.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 04:38 PM

Nonetheless... awesome pictures! Thanks! Very Happy

Rain
Post subject: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well a lot of the pix lthat I inked here are actually desktop backgrounds that I have used.

And I left the resolution unretouched so you can right click it and use them as well if you like.

Feral
Post subject: Re: RE: Pictures from where you live...  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Rain wrote:
so you can right click it and use them as well if you like.

Ah.

So you knew I was going to do that?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 03:50 AM

First, I give you the city's largest street. There are none larger within the city limits. One should not presume that the size of this road is indicative of the amount of traffic it sees -- oh no. That it has but two lanes is a clear design flaw. Traffic is unusually light in this image, it being a Sunday evening.

Although the city is doing its very best to promote itself as a sophisticated urban center of culture, refinement, and the arts, this picture illustrates what it has given up trying to possess. In fairness, those rail cars DO move on a regular basis, and on a cold day you can see that those chimneys are in full use.

What the bulk of the better-off denizens live in -- the thoughtfully placed flag points out which country you're in, (in case you might have forgotten). This is, as it happens, NOT my neighborhood... you are more likely to encounter the rainbow flag than the stars and stripes in my own neck of the woods. Of course, I DID say "the better-off denizens" -- these are my brother's neighbors, not mine.

The local "university" (if you were acquainted with the quality of students this facility turns out, you would see that my wry use of quotation marks is charitable, not sarcastic) has a number of casually interesting sculptures on its campus. Though the place boasts (incessantly) of being founded by signatories to the Declaration of Independence, the bulk of the campus derives from the Vietnam-era GI Bill.

Said campus has graciously provided the community with a dog park. It has three large, fenced enclosures where one may let one's dogs romp and frolic with all comers (normally, each other). It's a fine place to go play with dogs without actually having to keep a dog. Here one of the neighborhood's innumerable Rottweilers has thought to challenge one of the neighborhood's normally reclusive greyhounds to a contest of tear-assing back and forth. Despite the Rott's clear advantage in both strength and endurance, he was bested by the greyhound's superior agility -- that, and the Rott was unable to withstand the excitement of the park without succumbing to a constant stream of exuberant barking. Keeping his silence, the greyhound simply matched the Rott move for move and let his opponent exhaust himself with barking. There were three Rottweilers in the park this particular evening, and four greyhounds. There were seven pit bull terriers and no fewer than ten retrievers (largely golden retrievers, supplemented by a broad assortment of various colors of Labradors). While the defeated Rottweiler took his ease in the trees, the greyhound went on to challenge his fellow greyhounds to one of those mad kamikaze races -- the sort that sends the dogs flying along an imaginary figure-eight with some hapless bystander as the focal point of the crossing. One greyhound doing this is generally quite amusing; four doing so can be unsettling. The goal of the figure-eight race is, of course, not to run the fastest -- it's to see how close the dogs can come to colliding at high speed with the target of the game. These hounds were quite good... all four of them clearly brushed their victim on every pass and they knocked their yuppie acquaintance to the ground twice.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 02:11 AM

Nice pix, Fer... thanks!

Here's another of my favorite spots, Antoine Basin:

It's maybe not a better picture, technically, than Idaho Peak, but it's a better *spot* -- it's a gorgeous location that is not *clogged* with people, like Idaho Peak is, partly because it's not as well known.

Jump to: