Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: quick question...  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Is there any way to set my default so that it shows the *oldest* post first in each thread?

Reply with quote Back to top
Kyleovision
Post subject: RE: quick question...  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 02:28 PM

At the bottom of the page where there are pull-downs labelled: "Display posts from previous: All Posts -- Oldest First "

Feral
Post subject: RE: quick question...  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 06:51 PM

As Kyle points out, you can change the post order with the controls at the bottom of the page. Some quick rooting around has revealed that there is an overall default for the forums (as you have seen, the most recent first is currently the default position) and this default setting is quite simply changed. Each individual sub-forum can have it's own setting which over-rides the default setting, so the settings can be different between the various sub-forums.

If there is a general consensus as to whether the posts should be displayed oldest first or most recent first, the settings can be changed with no difficulty. It might take all of 5 seconds. Onerous labor, that.

For myself only, I rather like the newest post appearing first, but this is not something I feel strongly about. Certainly when I'm reading several new posts in a topic I re-sort them to chronological order. It would be no hardship for me to have that be the default setting.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, I can see the pull-down choices for each individual thread, but I don't see an overall "default" one for all threads... am I being dim?

And is you like it this way, Fer, that's cool, but isn't there some way to set *individual* defaults? 'Coz it'd be nice to be able to *both* have it the way we'd like it...

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 11:55 PM

I vote for Oldest First... age before beauty, as they say.

Feral
Post subject: Re: quick question...  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 06:48 AM

'berto wrote:
Is there any way to set my default so that it shows the *oldest* post first in each thread?

Short answer: no, because you don't have a default. The forums as a whole do, and individual forums can be set to override the overall default.

I've set the Open Forum to display the oldest posts in a topic first, and the newest post at the bottom. I think that's what you're wanting to see.

It is possible to sort the posts using the controls at the bottom of the page. You can even filter out all the posts older than 7 days (or any of a number of other options). You would, however, have to sort each topic in this manner each time you read one. There are no settings for this function in individual profiles.

If oldest first is generally to be preferred to newest first, the overall default can be changed. As I said, I really don't feel strongly about it. To me it is rather like debating whether the chocolate chips in a Tollhouse cookie are point up or point down. Either way is just fine by me -- I like my Tollhouse cookies with chocolate chips in them. Razz

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2007 - 12:49 PM

I just saw your last reply just now, Fer -- somehow I missed it earlier. Sank Q. :*

Okay... another quick question... are Private Messages not set up to work with the "lite" version? 'Coz I was gonna send Feral a PM, but there was nowhere indicated for such in his profile...

karnickel
Post subject: PM function doesn't work with the light theme  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2007 - 04:10 PM

'berto wrote:
Okay... another quick question... are Private Messages not set up to work with the "lite" version? 'Coz I was gonna send Feral a PM, but there was nowhere indicated for such in his profile...

You are right - there is a bug within our ExtraLight theme which messes up the Private Messages function. While trying to send a PM from the ExtraLight theme, the module "loses" the information on to whom the PM shall be sent - thus the adress field remains blank and the PM can't be sent.

Remember, our ExtraLight theme is actually an original phpBB theme, while the forum software is actually a module specially made for PostNuke. I will need to play around with theme templates a little bit to find a solution.

Feral
Post subject: RE: PM function doesn  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2007 - 09:13 PM

Quote:
'Coz I was gonna send Feral a PM

You can always e-mail me Smile

Kyleovision
Post subject: Re: RE: PM function doesn  PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 12:19 AM

Feral wrote:
Quote:
'Coz I was gonna send Feral a PM

You can always e-mail me Smile

Ahem. I can HEAR you. I am sitting right here. Hussies!

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 01:59 AM

lol. Is a hussy worse than a strumpet? Wink Razz

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 05:08 AM

It depends upon your point of view: Strumpets generally are paid, hussies generally work for free. In just about every field, the efforts of a gifted, enthusiastic amateur will outstrip those of an experienced professional. The professionals are more dependable however, and their work product is more uniform.

Razz

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
...their work product is more uniform.

Ooh, what sort of uniform? I vote for a soccer kit, or perhaps a wrestling singlet. Maybe Crew togs?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 03:30 PM

s'NERK @ KT...

Quote:
Strumpets generally are paid, hussies generally work for free.

Well, I've never been paid, per se, but I have had people give me nice things. Perhaps I'm half-way between? A "humpet"? Wink Razz

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 03:44 PM

Strumpets always struck me as having a more teasing quality, whereas a hussy is more of an actual, inveterate fornicator, to my mind.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 06:42 PM

So, would a "humpet" be an actual, inveterate fornicator who teases a lot?

karnickel
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 12:54 AM

Ah, lots of new words to learn... A "humpet" then? Would you guys please bother to start use standart IDO grammar for new word creations? It's a "humpeto", the male form thus "humpetulo". Wink

Guess how long it would take to find the firs hits for "humpet", "humpeto" and "humpetulo"... Ethymology (sorry, can't resist): "homo <gr.>" and "pedal <pol.>": "humpetulo" -> "humo pedulo" -> "homo pedal". Twisted Evil Vicked!

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 04:51 AM

karnickel wrote:
"humpetulo"

For more fun, since it is but a portmanteau word formed from two English words (and fine, old, English words they are too), perhaps it can compete with a portmanteau word formed from the relevant Ido words.

I've misplaced my Ido glossary, but something tells me that I'm unlikely to find translations for either strumpet or hussy.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hey KT...

Did'ja get my e-mail? For some reason, my Yahoo Messenger is on the blink...

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 10:38 PM

A *different* quick question...

The other day at the "Good As You" site, I noticed the following:

Quote:
Article provided by GayLinkContent.com. For more information, contact us at info@gaylinkcontent.com.

Question: does this service cost anything? If not, is there any way GRD could take advantage of it for a regular "news feed"? Just wondering...

Jump to: