Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 12:56 PM

There are always warning signs...

Reply with quote Back to top
Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Quote:

There are always warning signs...

Ok, new rule: if you're gonna show girly titties, there must be a warning. lol

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 02:46 PM

And now the genocide advocate is getting backing from a leading Roman Catholic priest and educator

Quote:
The Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr., one of the country's pre-eminent evangelical leaders, acknowledged that he irked many fellow conservatives with an article earlier this month saying scientific research "points to some level of biological causation" for homosexuality.

[...]

However, Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., was assailed even more harshly by gay-rights supporters. They were upset by his assertion that homosexuality would remain a sin even if it were biologically based, and by his support for possible medical treatment that could switch an unborn gay baby's sexual orientation to heterosexual.

[...]

Mohler said he was aware of the invective being directed at him on gay-rights blogs, where some participants have likened him to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor notorious for death-camp experimentation. "I wonder if people actually read what I wrote," Mohler said in a telephone interview. "But I wrote the article intending to start a conversation, and I think I've been successful at that."

[...]

"I realize this sounds very offensive to homosexuals, but it's the only way a Christian can look at it," Mohler said. "We should have no more problem with that than treating any medical problem."

Mohler's argument was endorsed by a prominent Roman Catholic thinker, the Rev. Joseph Fessio, provost of Ave Maria University in Naples, Fla., and editor of Ignatius Press, Pope Benedict XVI's U.S. publisher.

"Same-sex activity is considered disordered," Fessio said. "If there are ways of detecting diseases or disorders of children in the womb, and a way of treating them that respected the dignity of the child and mother, it would be a wonderful advancement of science."

[...]

Paul Myers, a biology professor at the University of Minnesota-Morris, wrote a detailed critique of Mohler's column, contending that there could be many genes contributing to sexual orientation and that medical attempts to alter it could be risky.

"If there are such genes, they will also contribute to other aspects of social and sexual interactions," Myers wrote. "Disentangling the nuances of preference from the whole damn problem of loving people might well be impossible."

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Quote:

"Same-sex activity is considered disordered," Fessio said.

'Disordered,' is it? Considered so by whom? The Catholic hierachy? By God?

As a wise man once said: in English, one only uses the passive voice to facilitate lying.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Kyleovision wrote:
As a wise man once said: in English, the passive voice is only used to facilitate lying.

Oh yes... those who use the passive voice are lying, or at least dissembling in a dishonest manner. It is quite necessary to indicate "by whom." It's an easy error to make -- quite common. People frequently do it quite deliberately though, even in thinking.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2007 - 07:01 AM

I totally disavow that quote above. You made it up.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I must have been dreaming it then.

Yeah.... that's it: I was dreaming.

Carry on Smile

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:28 AM

Some dialog on this subject from another forum follows.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:28 AM

Feral wrote:
Some further enquiry into this subject continues to contradict PETA's claims. The project is called "A Ram Model of Neuroendocrine Function Objectives." The stated objectives of the project are quite simple, though they are not worded all that simply:

Quote:
Sexual performance of rams relates directly to reproductive efficiency and profitability in the sheep industry. Thus, the specific aims are to determine whether male-oriented sexual behavior in male-oriented rams is associated with altered hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal function and morphological differences in size and neurochemical content of specific nuclei in the brain in comparison to female-oriented and nonoriented rams, and whether male-oriented sexual partner preference can be artificially produced by depriving male lamb fetuses of prenatal estrogen.

They are most assuredly trying to demonstrate the accuracy of their hypothesis that "sexual orientation" in sheep is biologically determined, and they are trying to do this by creating "homosexual" sheep.

Researchers are often very quick to point out that sheep are not people -- probably because they really aren't. Still, the sheep research has come up with remarkably similar results to earlier research on the biological determinants of orientation in humans.

Quote:
A study of gay sheep appears to confirm the controversial suggestion that there is a biological basis for sexual preference.

The work shows that rams that prefer male sexual partners had small but distinct differences in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, when compared with rams that preferred to mate with ewes.

Kay Larkin and colleagues from Oregon Health and Science University found the difference was in a particular region of the hypothalamus - the preoptic nucleus. The region is generally almost twice as large in rams as in ewes. But in gay rams its size was almost identical to that in "straight" females.

The hypothalamus is known to control sex hormone release and many types of sexual behaviour. Several other parts of the hypothalamus showed consistent sex differences in size, but only this specific region showed differences that correlated with sexual preference.

The differences are almost identical to those identified by the neuroscientist Simon LeVay in his studies of the brains of gay men. His work has always been considered controversial, partly because the brains he studied were mostly from men who had died of AIDS. So it was not clear whether the differences were related to the disease or to sexual preferences.

Now, PETA is welcome to oppose this research -- after all, they are killing sheep. They are drugging pregnant ewes in an effort to alter the mating behavior of their offspring. I can certainly see how that runs afoul PETA's stated principles and objectives. I am not especially amused by their Orwellian double-speak though. Certainly the research might be applicable to humans. I fail to see how a medical technique for enhancing the chances that your children will be born gay is a bad thing.

I have not yet found any information specifically regading the researchers' grant application -- or PETA's claim that the "experimenters plan to extrapolate the test results to humans.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:29 AM

Feral wrote:
One of my favorite bloggers, Thomas Kraemer is one of the founding benefactors of the Magnus Hirschfeld Fund for sexual orientation and gender identity research at Oregon State University. One hundred percent of his estate will be used to endow the fund. It's rather a moot point at the moment, because Mr. Kraemer has not died.

The endowment specifically may not be used to fund certain types of research -- namely what most reasonable people would call "anti-gay" research.

Quote:
For ethical reasons, the Magnus Hirschfeld Fund shall not sponsor research that advocates changing or modifying a human's sexual orientation or gender identity, but it may sponsor research to debunk the unscientific claims of conversion research.
The Magnus Hirschfeld Fund may sponsor research on how religion negatively impacts people with a minority sexual orientation or gender identity, but it shall not sponsor any principle investigator who opposes giving equal rights to gay people. (e.g. including the rights of marriage)
The Magnus Hirschfeld Fund may sponsor research to debunk the unscientific claims of these groups, but it shall not fund research to develop or advocate methods to change or modify sexual orientation or gender identity.

Mr. Roselli's and Mr. Stormshak's research into ovine preoptic hypothalamuses, however, is specifically cited as an example of acceptable research to be funded by this endowment.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:30 AM

'berto wrote:
Quote:
How'd that be? A stem cell cure for homosexuality! If anyone is still gay after that, it's obviously a choice (tsk tsk!)

I wonder if there is a stem cell cure for conservatism? Or for assholishness?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:31 AM

vanrozenheim wrote:
If they could determine wheter their embrios will be gay or not, straight parents would have little scrupples to weed the gay ones out. In India they are weeding out female embrions because boys are more profitable.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:31 AM

Feral wrote:
vanrozenheim wrote:
If they could determine wheter their embrios will be gay or not, straight parents would have little scrupples to weed the gay ones out. In India they are weeding out female embrions because boys are more profitable.

Quite likely, yes. I think it is inevitable that a fairly precise group of "causes" of homosexuality will be identified, and that tests to identify orientation will one day exist for most if not all of these "causes." And yes... I do not hesitate to agree that the straights will be highly motivated to obtain these tests, and to use them in just the way you describe. It is rather unfortunate that we will so readily presume this degree of wickedness on their part, but we do so. In fact, if someone were to suggest that the straight people would not promptly consider aborting a gay child if it were possible to determine it's orientation... well, that would just be naive. I find it odd that on this point a great many gays have little hope for the "goodness" of straight people, but on almost every other point gays are willing to assume a basic altruism on the part of straights that just isn't in evidence. Such tests do not currently exist, so of course I do not know what proportion of straights would act on this information. Even so, I readily believe that they would kill us all if they had the chance and it was convenient.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:32 AM

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Feral wrote:
I find it odd that on this point a great many gays have little hope for the "goodness" of straight people, but on almost every other point gays are willing to assume a basic altruism on the part of straights that just isn't in evidence.

To use an EM metaphor, I think the attitude is a gay version of the Infosaturated Syndrome... or to place it further back in history, the Briggs Gambit.

There are so many of us who do believe that the vast majority of str8s actually mean us no harm, no, not in thought nor deed. But... these same gay people will often attest that they can kinda-sorta understand why str8 parents wouldn't want, say, their kids to be taught by gay teachers and the like. Or they can kinda-sorta 'understand' why str8 people get stereotypical attitudes toward us... I mean, look at Gay Pride parades... oh yes, these particular gay people will tell you.

No, no, it's not *right*, these particular gay people will tell you, but it is "understandable" because, ya know, lotsa times parents go overboard in trying protect their kids... even from imaginary risks... even at the expense of other people's rights.. even gay parents sometimes... so you can kinda-sorta see why.... ya know?

That's why, these particular gay people will tell you, it's so terribly important that we *educate* str8 people... so that, ya know, they aren't afraid anymore and will eventually stop doing stuff like this.

And so I am given to wonder, how many Jews thought education was the answer when the Weimar government fell? I'm betting there were plenty... and those particular Jews ended up just as dead as the Jews who went placidly, just as dead as the ones who tried to flee (but failed), and just as dead as the ones who fought back in Warsaw.

It doesn't matter how 'understandable' your enemy's attitude is. He remains your enemy.

To pretend otherwise is fatal... particularly when we pretend it to ourselves.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2007 - 01:27 AM

'berto wrote:
And now the genocide advocate is getting backing from a leading Roman Catholic priest and educator

Well, "educator" implies too much of the present tense.

Quote:
The 66-year-old said he was doing well one day after he resigned after Ave Maria officials asked him to step down, citing irreconcilable differences.

Fessio’s dismissal came after statements he made were published Tuesday in an article in the California Catholic Daily titled, "Hey, Hey, Baby Gay! What Do You Do? What Do You Say?" and on the personal Web site of one of the country’s preeminent evangelist leaders, the Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr.

Fessio said his comments about homosexuality in the California Catholic Daily article or on Mohler’s Web site were not the reason for his dismissal.

Many people are insisting that Fessio "deserves an explanation" for his "dismissal," though if he is so very certain his comments about homosexuality were not the reason, it appears he's had ample explanation.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2007 - 10:45 AM

Mr. Mohler says his article was *gasp* misunderstood.

Theologian says his remarks about homosexuality and biology were misunderstood

Quote:
Research into the human genome and the possibility of germ-line therapies raises all kinds of moral concerns, ranging from the creation of designer babies to the redefinition of humanity. In one article, I was said to advocate genetic therapies. I never said that, and I resolutely oppose such proposals. I would not advocate the use of genetic therapies to create heterosexual babies — or any other therapy of this type. The hypothetical question I addressed had nothing to do with genetic factors at all. Furthermore, genetic factors are likely to be so complex and inter-related that no single genetic factor or set of factors is likely to be found to cause anything as complex as sexual attraction.

Let's be clear on a few things. This is just one point out of 9... he takes issue with a great many misunderstandings all the way around. From the tone of Mr. Mohler's recent op-ed piece, I'd say he's right on at least one thing... a great many people seem to form opinions based on news coverage of controversial articles rather than the controversial articles themselves. (I know, I know... it's just so much reading!)

Yup. Mohler never once did advocate genetic therapies. He did nothing of the kind. This is what he said:

Quote:
If a biological basis is found, and if a prenatal test is then developed, and if a successful treatment to reverse the sexual orientation to heterosexual is ever developed, we would support its use as we should unapologetically support the use of any appropriate means to avoid sexual temptation and the inevitable effects of sin.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2007 - 05:43 PM
Site Admin

There is some discussion rising about the use of the word "genocide" in the media. Whereas some authors frankly call things by their names, others are reluctunt to see genocide where others do, and instead do accuse their opponents being evil manipulators exploiting the emotional needs of readers for political gains.

We read for example in the following (rather lengthy) article by Mahmood Mamdani, who is attacking the US journalist Nicholas Kristof for his stance against genocide in Sudan:

The politics of naming: genocide, civil war, insurgency
Quote:
It seems that genocide has become a label to be stuck on your worst enemy, a perverse version of the Nobel Prize, part of a rhetorical arsenal that helps you vilify your adversaries while ensuring impunity for your allies. [..] Darfur gives the Warriors on Terror a valuable asset with which to demonise an enemy: a genocide perpetrated by Arabs.

I acknowledge the validity of a range of singular arguments expressed in the article, but I beg to disagree with the Leitmotiv of the article in whole, namely that "genocide" were unjustly used to describe what is done to black people in Sudan or what is done to many other peoples somewhere else. Mr. Mamdani's views on genocide might differ from my, but it's not like there were absolutely no international conventions on what might be justly regardes as genocide. On contrary, the international community was uncommonly clear about the definition of genocide (see: http://www.criminaljusticedegree.net/resources/prevention-and-punishment-of-genocide/), one solely should read the text. Genocide is and was a very frequent phenomenon, and one hardly can blame a journalist for calling things by their true names. Thus I tend to agree with Mr. Kristof when he replies on what makes genocide so special if compared with other causes of mass death:

Quote:
‘When I spoke at Cornell University recently, a woman asked why I always harp on Darfur. It’s a fair question. [..] We have a moral compass within us and its needle is moved not only by human suffering but also by human evil. That’s what makes genocide special – not just the number of deaths but the government policy behind them. And that in turn is why stopping genocide should be an even higher priority than saving lives from Aids or malaria.

It should be added that from my point of view there is no such hierarchy in suffering, but we mustn't forget that AIDS and malaria are natural phenomena, whereas genocide is an entirely willfull action which is deliberately planned and performed by governments and peoples purposefully.

Mr. Mamdani continues to swadron against the Darfur campaign with his pseudo-analytical approach:

Quote:
If many of the leading lights in the Darfur campaign are fired by moral indignation, this derives from two events: the Nazi Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. [..] Again, the encounter between the two seemed to take place outside any context, as part of an eternal encounter between evil and innocence.

The intended effect upon readers is apparently replacing the "moral indignation" by some kind of "intellectual superiority" in readers, who were generously allowed to share the analytically deep insights of Mr. Mamdani.

Well, there is nothing wrong with moral indignation -- I don't grasp the point of the author here. It is certainly important to understand that moral indignation alone is useless indeed, but the necessary conclusion is not that we shall abandon these feelings, but rather proceed to some action. Moral indignation is a fine thing if it moves at least a minor part of humanity to some real action, or prevents another part of same from commiting a crime.

N.B.: EDITED BY VANROZENHEIM 2012-11-28 to replace a broken link

Last edited by vanrozenheim on Nov 28, 2012 - 08:41 PM; edited 1 time in total

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Records of homosexual animals go back to time of Aristotle

Quote:
Homosexuality in the animal kingdom is as natural as green grass in summer. Amusing or appalling as some might find it, this ‘weird proclivity’ has been recorded in 1,500 animals species from mammals to crabs and worms.

Same sex pairs of animals kiss and caress each other with obvious affection and tenderness. Any homosexual behavior you care to name — anal sex, same sex kissing, long term pair bonding between members of the same sex, courtship rituals unique to homosexual couples and more are commonly found in the animal kingdom. Yet this not yesterday’s discovery.

The earliest mention of animal homosexuality was by Aristotle, who spoke of homosexuality between hyenas.

Golly... that'd mean it pre-dated the bible, wouldn't it? Wink

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2007 - 11:23 PM

Quote:

The earliest mention of animal homosexuality was by Aristotle, who spoke of homosexuality between hyenas.

Too bad to have to report this, berto. But what Aristotle actually witnessed were indeed a pair of heterosexual hyenas. The female hyena's genitalia is not like any other female mammal's. It's genitalia is a long, external organ...it looks very much like a penis.

Quote:
Hyena females are considerably larger than the males. The females are masculinized due to the excess testosterone in their bodies; they have more testosterone in their bodies than most male hyenas. As a result of this masculinization, females are a third larger than the males, have more muscle mass, are more aggressive, and have masculinized genetalia. Their vulva is fused to look like a scrotum and testes, and their clitoris is large and looks like a phallus, and can be erected just like a penis. The vagina runs through the pseudo penis. This makes it hard for them to mate and give birth, since they do so through this pseudo penis. It was once thought that hyenas were hermaphroditic animals because the females sported genitalia similar to the males. In fact, the only sure way to determine the sex of a hyena is that after giving birth the female's two black nipples become enlarged.

The erect 'penis' of both sexes plays a prominent role in ritualized greeting

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2007 - 12:24 AM

berto wrote:
Golly... that'd mean it pre-dated the bible, wouldn't it? Wink

Well....

Quote:
Aristotle (Greek: Ἀριστοτέλης Aristotélēs) (384 BC – 322 BC)

Yes... parts of it anyway.

Jump to: