Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2007 - 10:12 AM

When I recommended this particular event to my favorite Edmontonian, our discussion likewise touched on this subject. I suppose it's just not DONE though in Canadian academia, this notion that something is essentially wrong with those people. (And if we all clap loudly enough and shout "I do believe in fairies," Tinkerbell will come back to life.) I'm not sure what point the professor is trying to make though. Of course, he hasn't had the chance to speak yet.

Still, I am puzzled by his deliberate juxtaposition of Surrey and Vancouver. Yes, an elaborate educational production was built around the presentation of what is really a very innocuous little play. No, it does not appear that any claims that this program was responsible for (or even contributed to) the generally positive reception the play received in Vancouver. This is probably a good thing, because I just wouldn't buy it. No doubt the educational program is, for lack of better words, "damn nifty." I'd have to know a whole lot more about it before I could even begin evaluating this alleged "extremely positive" after effect. From the available evidence, it seems Lord Byng Secondary School was hardly a cesspit of homophobia to start with. There is little value in polishing something that is already shiny (even the egos of theater teachers). If this pedagogical approach can brush up a Surrey, then it is keenly interesting.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Fer, I was just about to say:

Quote:
Charges and counter-charges flew but this protest once again painted Surrey as one of the most intolerant school systems in the country.

What's this "paint" BS? The Surrey School Board *IS* one of the most bigoted, intolerant ones in Canada, whether on this issue or in fighting against other measures -- like having "And Tango Makes Three" or "Prince and Prince" included in the school library -- that are designed to teach acceptance of queers to younger people.

... but you beat me to it. Smile

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2007 - 03:20 AM

Should you find yourself in the vicinity of the North Campus of the University of Alberta this Thursday, check this out:

Moving Towards Inclusive Pedagogies: The Laramie Project, Lord Byng Secondary School, and Lessons in Acceptance

Quote:
March 29 – Moving Towards Inclusive Pedagogies: The Laramie Project, Lord Byng Secondary School, and Lessons in Acceptance

Presenter: Wes D. Pearce, Theatre Department, University of Regina

“One British Columbia school board calls The Laramie Project profane, another school board calls it profound.”

In late September of 2005 the School District #36 (Surrey, BC) found itself the centre of a firestorm around charges of homophobia, censorship, and intolerance. At the centre of this controversy was a decision by the School District to “postpone” a production of Moises Kaufman’s The Laramie Project that was to have been mounted at Elgin Park Secondary School. Charges and counter-charges flew but this protest once again painted Surrey as one of the most intolerant school systems in the country.

In January 2006, independent of (but coloured by) the recent events in Surrey, Vancouver’s Lord Byng Secondary School presented The Laramie Project. The production at Lord Byng was, I believe, unique in Canada both in terms of the curricula that was developed around the play but also given the fact that many of the same diverse communities and constituents which sought to ban the production in Surrey embraced the production in Vancouver. This presentation is an examination of the development and implementation of the phenomenal educational program that the staff, students and Lord Byng community developed around The Laramie Project. This educational project garnered national attention, and throughout its development and implementation demonstrated creativity, thoughtfulness, a commitment to social change and a dynamic/proactive response to Kaufman’s play. The immediate, not to mention long term (and extremely positive) after effects, of this pedagogical approach demonstrated that the concerns of the Surrey School District were unfounded, hysterical, and homophobic.

I have to say, there are few things quite so annoying as phrases like "once again painted Surrey as one of the most intolerant school systems in the country." This wording suggests that Surrey is NOT one of the most intolerant school systems in Canada, a supposition that I cannot support. Yes, the difference between the two presentations of what is really a very innocuous little play (considering what can be heard during lunch at any high school cafeteria if you will bother to listen is instructive and worth careful study. This demonstrated difference does not "paint" Surrey a particular way, it draws attention to the real character of the place.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Two Shows Of 'Laramie Project' Sold Out

Quote:
Parents Attend Dress Rehearsal

DES MOINES, Iowa -- "The Laramie Project" tells the story of the 1998 kidnapping and murder of gay college student Matthew Shepard.

The theater production is hitting the Valley High School stage this week.

A few parents think the play's language and subject matter are inappropriate, but the school stands behind it 100 percent.

Quote:
Members of a controversial Topeka, Kan., church said they will be in West Des Moines this weekend to protest the play.

They also plan to protest at several large West Des Moines churches.

"The Laramie Project" performances are at Valley High School at 7 p.m. Nov. 3, 4 and at 2 p.m. Nov. 4, 5.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2006 - 02:54 AM

Softening 'Laramie' profanity should end controversy

Quote:
There's nothing like controversy to draw a crowd to a theater production. Plans for students to perform "The Laramie Project" at West Des Moines' Valley High School have been met with complaints from some parents. They say profanity in the script is inappropriate.

So school officials have agreed to "soften" the language. It's a good compromise. Removing bad language shouldn't detract from the meaning of a powerful production about the murder of Matthew Shepard, a young, gay university student in Wyoming. Some student actors may be uncomfortable using bad language in front of an audience that may include parents and grandparents.

Removing profanity should be the end of the controversy.

But that looks unlikely.

A local radio host is working the public into a frenzy because the play is about a homosexual man. Other high schools around the country have cancelled the production after parents complained. Religious leaders have opposed it, saying it promotes a homosexual agenda. And an upcoming school board meeting will allow parents to express their thoughts about it.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2006 - 10:59 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
"I think there are a lot of people who have severe beliefs about homosexuality, and even teenage sexuality in general," she said. "I don't think it's right to portray it in a positive light without ever discussing the seriousness of it."

Well, I don't think it's right to portray homosexuality and teenage sex in a negative light without ever discussing the seriousness of it.

By all means, those concerned parents should better care about the real violence in their schools and town instead of fighting discussions about these important issues.

Feral
14 Post subject: The Laramie Project  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2006 - 05:43 AM

School Refuses To Give In To Demand 'Laramie Project' Be Canceled

Quote:
(West Des Moines Iowa) Some parents at Valley High School are upset over the school's decision to let students perform "The Laramie Project," a play based on Matthew Shepard, a University of Wyoming student who was killed because he was gay.

The play discusses homosexuality, uses profanity and contains violence.

School officials said it teaches tolerance and acceptance of others. They hope the play will encourage families to discuss diversity, hate crimes and whether such behavior is acceptable.

Some parents said they are upset by the profanity used in the play and scenes that contain graphic violence and depiction's of sex.

The parents said they plan to express their concerns to the school board on Sept. 18.

"It is inappropriate material for high schools because of the profanity," said Wendy Ogden, the parent of a drama student. "It's not the issue of homosexuality that I don't think should be discussed.

"I think there are a lot of people who have severe beliefs about homosexuality, and even teenage sexuality in general," she said. "I don't think it's right to portray it in a positive light without ever discussing the seriousness of it."

An idea of the script may be gotten from this limited transcript. Be warned, however: I counted 5 instances of the word "fuck" and 10 instances of the word "shit" in it. I didn't notice any lurid depictions of sex -- they couldn't have been anywhere near long enough.

In all, I didn't read anything that these precious little Iowa teenagers probably don't say at least 20 times before lunch.

Last edited by Feral on Mar 28, 2007 - 03:10 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to: