Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: Taiwan, recognition of countries, and micronations  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 01:59 AM

Of small, and micro, nations

Quote:
Recently, YKON, a self-described “advocacy group for unrepresented nations, experimental countries and utopian thinkers,” was approached by a Taiwan-based group to see if they could get any of the world’s micronations to recognize Taiwan as a sovereign country.

Out of a few dozen, 10 micronations agreed. Among them: Westarctica, The Principality of Snake Hill, and The Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands.

In return, YKON is encouraging Taiwanese citizens to sign a petition pushing the government of Taiwan to accord recognition to these micronations. From what I’m guessing, the petition is only at MOCA Taipei.

Certainly Taiwan has something in common with these treehouse projects. Like them, Taiwan is small and struggles for recognition on the world stage. Unlike them, of course, Taiwan lives not in a world constructed half from farce and half from delusions of grandeur, but in a world where denial from the World Health Organization could mean countless lives lost.

I wonder if mutual recognition among micronations, then, detracts from Taiwan’s serious aspirations toward international recognition, rather than boosting its standing among countries with unassailable legitimacy? Without international standing, is Taiwan just a glorified micronation?

YKON's web site quite prominently points out that the Gay & Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands, the Principality of Snake Hill, the Kingdom of Bucksfan, Ladonia, the Kingdoms of Elgaland and Vargaland, the Holy Empire of Avio-Searth, the Grand Duchy of Avram, the Republic of Molossia, and Westarctica are ready to recognize Taiwan. The organization's blog is more informative.

I'm afraid I have to say that the answer to the first question (which technically isn't a question at all, it's a statement of what the author wonders) is yes, which is why I'm pretty sure Taiwan knows nothing of this "art project." As for the second question (which really is a question) -- no; as the blogger points out, "24 countries currently have official diplomatic relations with Taiwan."

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Taiwan, recognition of countries, and micronations  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 08:50 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
“The official view of the gay government and the gay community is that ROC is the independent state of Taiwan the Kingdom also recognise the independence of Tibet. Both Tibet and Taiwan are not only recognised by our government as sovereign states but by all the gay communities appropriate committees and decisions making odies.”

His Majesty was always somewhat bold in his statements, though... Wink

Feral
Post subject: RE: Taiwan, recognition of countries, and micronations  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 09:43 AM

A very bold statement indeed.

I do rather doubt that opposition to the recognition of these two countries is rather strong among the gay populace at large.

Jump to: