Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: What makes a gay hero?  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2007 - 02:02 PM

What indeed?

Quote:
Many of the partners of those who died in 9/11 became a kind of hero themselves, forced to fight their second-class status in America in the public arena. Because their relationships are not legally recognized by the federal government, they are not eligible to receive social security benefits. In order to receive any benefits from the numerous 9/11 compensation funds and charities—some of them had to fight unending battles in court just to claim what straight, married partners only had to ask for. Some have suceeded in winning partial battles, some have given up.

But it isn't about the money. Yes, many surviving partners found themselves in financial crisis when their loved ones died—but the emotional aftermath was far more damaging. Gay partners of 9/11 victims were generally left out in the cold—unacknowledged and treated, sometimes, like they didn't even exist. One survivor, John Keohane, so devestated by the loss of his partner of 17 years Mike Lyons on 9/11, committed suicide. Perhaps, if he had received the same support & counseling being lavished on the straight partners of 9/11 victims, he might still be here.

Francis S. Coppola, a New York City detective whose partner, a firefighter named Eddie, perhaps summed up the experience of gay survivors best in an interview with Gay.com: "I have never been more proud of being an American or a New Yorker, but at the same time it has made me sad. The greatest country in the world, and yet we are treated like second-class citizens... The great love of my life died doing what he did best and what he loved to do: helping others. I have never been an activist or ever wanted to be one; however, it is time we stand up and be counted and demand equality—nothing more or nothing less."

Reply with quote Back to top
Rain
Post subject: RE: What makes a gay hero?  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2007 - 03:45 PM

This is very sad. And it must be told that the city has had an awful time working around this because much of the assisstance to 9/11 victim's families has come from federal sources. The feds, as we all know, take a dim view of broader definitions of "family".

But, so do a lot of gay people, I notice. My own experience with my own boyfriend is a constant struggle to make him understand that we are indeed "family". He tends to regard his friends, even some he hasn't known all that long, as family. It takes a bigger stretch for him sometimes to see me in that light. Oddly, his straight brother (my brother-in-law) doesn't have such a problem with it.

Ahh...just my own little drama of the moment. I guess I just wanted to vent.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: