Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Scottsdale, Arizona  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2007 - 11:04 AM

Sanitized for her pleasure: Scottsdale Mayor scrubs GLBTs from proclamation

In an effort to address the bad PR from incidents such as Gay Scottsdale, Arizona couple beaten in unprovoked attack, the Scottsdale Human Relations Commission (formerly known as the Arizona Human Rights Fund) decided to proclaim the month of June as Human Relations Diversity Observance Month, specifically "because of the negative publicity the city of Scottsdale has received regarding its GLBT community in recent years."

Quote:
[Scottsdale Human Relations Commission Chair Michele] DeLaFreniere told Echo that the commission approached the idea for the proclamation last year because of the negative publicity the city of Scottsdale has received regarding its GLBT community in recent years.

[...]

"The idea to proclaim June as GLBT Awareness Month in Scottsdale began in October of last year," the Human Rights Commission Chairwoman said. "This proclamation was not only intended to help with the healing process ... but to show an understanding of what GLBT people have offered and given to the city.

"The mayor had an opportunity to give the GLBT community this small piece of paper, that will not be posted anywhere but the Internet, saying that they are a part of the city and she didn't do it."

DeLaFreniere claims that she tried to set up meetings with the mayor on multiple occasions to stress the importance of maintaining the original language of the proclamation, but did not meet with her until after the mayor had sent back a completely different proclamation, eliminating any mention of GLBT people.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: Scottsdale, Ariz. mayor seems to be a bigot  PostPosted: Jun 29, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Gotta love that negative publicity that attends attempts to avoid negative publicity.

Here's a secret for the 'good' folks running Scottsdale: the shortest route out of a reputation for homophobic bigotry is to refrain from homophobic bigotry.

Sheesh. Some people WILL go on and on about how dreadfully "unfair" reputations are... as if ceasing to talk about it would make it not so. Scottsdale's reputation, like ALL reputations, is earned. If the mayor wishes the city to enjoy a different reputation, then the city should set about earning a new one. It is difficult, but it can be done.

Meanwhile, they dig their hole deeper.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Here they go again: Scottsdale, Arizona Sees Second Anti-Gay Attack in Eight Months.

Quote:
Police in Scottsdale, Arizona are looking into a homophobic assault on a 27-year-old Phoenix man. The Arizona Republic reports on the attack, which took place in the early hours of the morning on July 16th:

"After leaving BS West, a downtown Scottsdale bar, Gearing and a friend stopped in a parking garage to hug goodbye. Two men came running toward them, screaming sexual slurs at them, as Gearing jumped into his car. When Gearing drove toward the men, one of them kicked in the passenger side of his car. The other slammed his fist through the back windshield of his Ford Focus. That same man raced around the car and, with his bloody fist, punched him in the jaw through the open driver's side window. 'I thought this guy must be hurt and wouldn't keep coming after me,' Gearing said. Injured, Gearing ran after the men, still talking to the 9-1-1 dispatcher on his cell phone. As he ran, he said he told the men he had a gun 'so they wouldn't attack me again.' On the tape he says, 'I'm going to shoot him,' but insists he was talking to his assailants, and not the dispatcher. When the dispatcher questioned him about the gun, he told her he had lied. Gearing said at first he did not want to tell his story, but said he was 'more mad than sad,' and hoped his ordeal 'would get others to speak out.'"

The earlier attack in December remains unsolved.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Scottsdale makes the news again...

Quote:
A bar fight is brewing between one Scottsdale establishment and the chairwoman of the city's Human Relations Commission.

At issue, a ban on transgendered people at Anderson's Fifth Estate nightclub.

Michele deLaFreniere believes its wrong to treat gay and transgendered people differently in the City of Scottsdale. DeLaFreniere, 52, has lived as a woman since 2004.

DeLaFreniere filed a discrimination complaint with the Arizona Attorney General's Office against the Old Town Scottsdale night spot.

Owner Tom Anderson acknowledges banning transgendered people from the club, but he said it was the best solution he could come up after female customers objected to having "men in dresses" using the women's restroom.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 - 08:52 PM

There is still a huge divide in the perceptions of gay people versus transgender people. And that divide is not exclusively heterosexual. Many gay men and women still have a hidden "yuck" factor when considering the issue of transgendered folk.

Here in New York State, the state's current hate crimes law does not cover transgender individuals. They do not have the same legal recourse that a gay man, lesbian, a female, or an ethnic or racial minority has when victimized for who and what they are. It is an issue that many people have a hard time coming to grips with because the idea that sex reassignment truly is a choice is firmly implanted in people's minds. They cannot divorce the decision to lead a life concordant with an individual's emotional, mental, spiritual, and (I believe) biological imperative from the act of making that choice.

Often, gay men and women view transgendered people as people who just don't fit in anywhere...heterosexuals view them as people who have betrayed nature...a view that many still apply to gays and lesbians. Neither one of those views, however, should diminish a person's basic humanity or an individual's need for protection from the very people who espouse those views.

Scottsdale is not unique in its confusion of sex, gender and orientation. And it is not unique in failing to understand the need to extend protection to all groups facing hostile discrimination.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Scottsdale mayor suddenly eager to meet with queers

Quote:
Mayor Mary Manross will sit down with representatives of a gay-rights group today to try to stem a tidal wave of bad publicity.

Manross will meet with Equality Arizona, a group that recently called for supporters to launch a letter-writing campaign demanding that Scottsdale leaders respond to recent incidents that offended gays, lesbians and transgender people. The group blasted city leaders for failing to address the issues.

Manross said Tuesday that she wants to emphasize that she has been trying to arrange this meeting since June and she is looking forward to talking personally with members of the group. The mayor said she considers it to be a serious issue.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 - 05:24 PM

Quote:
The mayor said she considers it to be a serious issue.

I suppose it depends upon what "it" means. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the mayor found bad publicity for the city to be a serious issue (though bad publicity can be blown all out of scale).

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2007 - 05:46 PM

Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the mayor found bad publicity for the city to be a serious issue (though bad publicity can be blown all out of scale).

Well, "bad" publicity is relative. Depending on the political climate and culture, it may be the kind of publicity the city fathers (and mothers) want.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Vizier
Post subject: Scottdale, Scottsdale! Tsk, tsk, tsk!  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Damn, the news out of Scottsdale just keeps getting worse and worse! The following story can be added to the list above. And my question is, if in a similar situation, how would you handle it?

Club Owner Not Talking to AG's Office without Subpoena

August 7th, 2007
by Bob McClay/KTAR

The owner of a Scottsdale nightclub is refusing to speak about a decision he made not to let transgendered patrons use the women's room at his club.

Tom Anderson is the defendant in a sexual discrimination lawsuit.

He says he was asked by the attorney general's office to give a voluntary interview under oath.

"And if he needs to speak to me on this matter, then he's going to have to subpeona me, which he'll have to prove to the court that he has enough evidence of sexual discrimination to force me to come down there," says Anderson.

Anderson says his refusal is based on the inability of the AG to answer two questions. "What sex am I being discriminatory against?"

The other question concerns the sex of the plaintiff, Michelle DelaFreniere. "I have known for quite some time that he is a man that dresses up in female clothes and goes into my club."

The attorney general's office wouldn't comment on the matter.

The lawsuit centers around Anderson's refusal to allow transgender patrons into his Anderson's Fifth Estate nightclub.

Anderson said dancing was one thing, but when it came to the ladies' room, that was a different story.

"It got out of control. They were using the women's restroom. My girls were upset about it. They went in, stood up and urinated. Then they would hang out, put make-up on and chat like they were one of the girls."

"They looked like men and if they're in the women's room - and they sound like men, they look like men - I'm really sorry they're in this predicament in their life."

Article source - http://www.ktar.com/index.php?nid=6&sid=562031

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Scottdale, Scottsdale! Tsk, tsk, tsk!  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2007 - 02:59 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
They went in, stood up and urinated.

Agreed, not a typically decent behaviour one might expect in a woman's restroom. Rolling Eyes The judge will have to determine whether the entire story was discrimination or simply a conflict about violating house rules, whatever they might be. We should not automatically assume, of course, that being transgender makes a person immune against all the behaviours associated with drunkness and unnecessary self-medication. Wink

Feral
Post subject: RE: Scottdale, Scottsdale! Tsk, tsk, tsk!  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Well, if I were in a situation similar to that of the club owner, I would have but one restroom. I don't know what Arizona's laws are like, but in many places the capacity of the restrooms must be within a certain balance with the capacity of the establishment. Naturally, my single restroom would have to be of sufficient size.

Mr. Anderson is quite likely within his rights under Arizona law (though it would be best if he consulted an Arizona attorney about that -- being the subject of a law suit, I imagine he is satisfied with the state of his professional advice). Were I in the Attorney General's situation, I'd have issued the subpoena straight away without bothering with this "voluntary" nonsense. A law has either been broken or it has not. If one has, the customary procedures are sufficient. Arizona has precious little in the form of laws of any kind banning discrimination against the transgendered. As I read the situation, if it can be demonstrated that Mr. Anderson has discriminated against a person who has had the sex on their birth certificate changed or amended, then the AG should proceed with subpoenas at once (and should have instantly). The AG is, after all, required to enforce the state's laws. If cannot be shown that Mr. Anderson has broken any of Arizona's laws by his action (which is bigoted and unreasonable), then the AG should leave the man alone and go about legitimate state's business instead.

A state law banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity ought to be passed at once in Arizona. While they're at it, they ought to put sexual orientation as well. Barring that, a federal law to that effect would be sufficient, provided the feds enforced it.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2007 - 04:05 PM

Scottsdale Moves To Remedy Anti-Gay Reputation

Quote:
Scottsdale's mayor and police chief have met with victims of homophobic hate crimes and members of the LGBT community in an effort to stem criticism the city is not doing enough to combat violence against gays.

[...]

With pressure mounting on officials, Mayor Mary Manross and Police Chief Alan Rodbell met with Gearing and representatives of the gay community.

At a news conference both sides said the session had been productive.

[...]

Both the mayor and McCullough-Jones acknowledge that the city has to clean up its image. Scottsdale is heavily dependant on tourism and the city's Visitors Bureau markets directly to gays across the country.

But hours after the meeting another gay hate-crime victim came forward.

The 22-year old man told KTVK-televison he was attacked 10 days ago outside a Scottsdale bar. The man said he was beaten and nearly lost an eye. His attackers yelled homophobic epithets at him during the attack he said.

The man also told the station that while he was at the hospital being treated he was belittled because of his sexuality by Scottsdale police officers.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Quote:
Scottsdale's mayor and police chief have met with victims of homophobic hate crimes and members of the LGBT community in an effort to stem criticism the city is not doing enough to combat violence against gays.

[...]

Both the mayor and McCullough-Jones acknowledge that the city has to clean up its image.

*Sigh*

There's nothing at all wrong with the city's image as far as I can see. Odd that they should be so desperate to alter the way people see Scottsdale. Odder still that they should wish to 'stem criticism.'

They might just try combating violence against Gays. Hmm? If they are concerned that they are seen to be not doing enough, then perhaps they might consider being seen to be doing more.

Both sides say the discussion was "productive"? Productive of what, exactly?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Scottsdale bar owner pulls plug on transgender band

Quote:
Scottsdale bar owner Tom Anderson on Friday abruptly canceled a performance by a band featuring a transgendered singer, saying he's concerned about patrons' safety and threats of disruptions at the show.

[...]

Anderson's Fifth Estate had scheduled the genderbending punk band Psychic TV, helmed by transgendered lyricist Genesis P-Orridge for an 18-andover show on Monday. But Anderson released a statement Friday saying the event was off.

"This act was booked by an outside promoter who has brought other bands to appear at Anderson's Fifth Estate," he wrote. "The promoter did not inform me of the nature of the band."

Initially, he said he planned to extend a hand to the transgendered community and let the act go ahead.

"I believed that with all of the unfair publicity the city of Scottsdale has recently received, canceling the event would do more harm than good," Anderson said, referring to the perception gay rights activists say is taking hold - that Scottsdale is hostile to gays, lesbians, bisexuals and the transgendered.

[...]

But Anderson canceled the performance when he was told there would be picketing, with protesters threatening to enter the club and disrupt the performance.

"In addition, I was also concerned about exactly how Anderson's Fifth Estate could safely accommodate our anticipated crowd, even on a temporary basis," he said. "I felt I had no choice but to pull the plug on the event. I have notified the promoter that he will need to find another venue for the band."

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Scottsdale Urged To Adopt LGBT Rights Ordinance

Quote:
Scottsdale's Human Relations Commission is pressing the city to pass legislation protecting LGBT residents in the wake of a series of incidents that has shocked the Arizona community.

The commission Monday night passed a resolution calling on the city to enact an ordinance that would bar bias in the workplace at city businesses and local government and require companies doing business with the city even if based outside Scottsdale to have a stated policy of non-discrimination against LGBT employees.

"We're telling [businesses] that we do not discriminate in Scottsdale," commission chair Michele deLaFreniere told the Arizona Republic.

"We have a community under attack. That is of major concern to the GLBT community."

The recommendation has been sent to Scottsdale Mayor Mary Manross.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2007 - 05:27 PM

Quote:
We have a community under attack.

Get da fuck out?! Forrrrealz? When did dis happen???

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 14, 2007 - 07:18 AM

Rolling

Oh... you hurt me, Rain.

I'm in serious pain here.

Jump to: