Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 05:32 AM

Oh Vicky...if you're looking for the sotries of the orishas and the religion...they're called "patakí" in Old Yoruba. Imagine the laugh we had at the former governor of New York. Anyway...you won't find them online. Those stories are a hoot! Incest everywhere, mothers having babies with their sons, daughters having sex with their mothers, the orisha of war and manliness dressing up in drag...oh my! They read like Greco-Roman/Egyptian mythology, which, come to think of it, they are just as ancient. But there's a moral behind each one. None is to be taken literally even though archeologists know for certain some of the orishas were once human kings and queens of Yoruban city-states (now Nigerian cities like Ogbomosho and Ile-Ife).

However...send me your address, liebchen. I'll send you an English copy of the patakis if I can find one. There's got to be one. The religion is spreading like a bad case of athlete's foot at a gym.

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 03:30 PM
Site Admin

Ah, thankee! Smile I LOVE ancient stories with moral hints. Can't make a scan? Transatlantic packages aren't cheap...

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 - 07:00 PM

There are way too many of those stories to scan, Vicky. And there are many variations of the same story. Each of the old Yoruba city-states spoke slightly different dialects and had varying versions of the same story. So I don't mind sending it. Wait...can I mail it to the post office box of the foundation in Cologne? Just thought that I may very well use one of the "patakis" within the compilation. There certainly is no copyright on 35,000 year old (by some estimates) stories.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Mob Tries To Lynch Men Awaiting Sentencing For Homosexuality

Quote:
A mob attempted to break into a prison in northern Nigeria on Saturday and lynch 18 men awaiting sentencing on morals charges that state controlled NAN news agency reports. One prison official was injured as guards fended off the angry crowd.

Sentences for the 18 were to have been handed down last week by a Sharia court in the Moslem state of Bauchi. They were arrested wearing women's clothing at a hotel where police say they had gathered for the wedding "of two men". An attorney for the men said they were at the hotel for a "graduation party".

The 18 were convicted of sodomy earlier this month but last week the judge reduced that violating Islamic law by dressing in female garb when it could not be proved any sex had occurred. Sodomy carries a maximum sentence of death.

When the prosecutor said he would not seek the death penalty the judge said he would need time to consider an appropriate sentence. The 18 will be back in court September 13. Five of the men were able to make bail. The others remain in custody.

NAN reports that the mob was angry that the charge was reduced.

Whether the men are gay or transsexual has not been fully explained by authorities.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2007 - 02:42 PM

NIgerian Bishop: Gays Not Fit to Live

Quote:
UPI reports:

[filth from the Anglican Bishop of Uyo, Rt. Rev. Isaac Orama]

UPI, by the way, is owned by Rev. Moon, a man who has called for the destruction of gays and lesbians himself. From a speech he gave in 2003:

[More filth from the Moonies]

I have begun work on a series of posts on Moon's various business interests, particularly here in MIchigan. They will show up over the next few weeks.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2007 - 02:57 AM

There have been claims that Bishop Orama did not say what was attributed to him in that story. People are, from time to time, misquoted. The story continues to develop at its own slow pace.

Jump to: