Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2007 - 07:42 AM

Rainbow flag snub sparks human rights complaint
'There is some form of homophobia in the works there'

Quote:
A gay rights group has filed a human rights complaint over the Town of Truro's refusal to fly the rainbow flag.

Charles Thompson, with Truro Pride, said the discrimination complaint centres on the fact the town council has agreed to fly flags for other community organizations and groups.

"Which leads us to believe that there is some form of homophobia in the works there," he told CBC News Friday.

Good on Truro Pride (who, to the best of my knowledge, have not been playing silly games with trademarks). Normally, I'd prefer Pride organizations to stick to their business, however, this one seems to have their normal affairs well in hand.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Insults turn violent outside bar; Man assaulted in front of downtown gay and lesbian night club

Quote:
The staff and patrons of Zig's, Sudbury's only gay and lesbian bar, are used to the insults and name-calling.

It's rare, however, that the homophobia turns violent, but that's what happened last Friday night to a young Sudbury man. Brent Jason, 26, says he suffered three fractures to his left cheekbone when he was confronted by a group of passersby outside the Elgin Street bar. Jason was at Zig's bar - where he regularly works as a casual dancer - at 11:30 p.m. with three of his friends when a passerby made a comment about one of his friends.

Jason was then rushed to the hospital. Through CT scans and X-rays, hospital staff determined Jason has three fractures to his left cheekbone. A plastic surgeon told Jason the punch caused nerve damage, resulting in a loss of feeling from the left side of his mouth to below his left eye. It's a sense of feeling the surgeon told him may not come back.

After reviewing the case, police have decided the assault is not a hate crime.

Kevin Romanowski, 21, was released Thursday on charges of assault with intent to cause bodily harm. He returns to court in October.

That's one way to cut down your hate crime statistics -- decide that they aren't hate crimes.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2007 - 01:16 PM

No shit; that's sorta what I thought -- just what made them decide this was *not* a hate crime?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Feral wrote:

CBC Nova Scotia has done a *decidedly* poor follow-up on this story, including their failure to note any of the mayor's homophobic commentary, or the fact that the council members chose to vote on the matter outside a regular council meeting.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2007 - 08:37 PM

berto wrote:
No shit; that's sorta what I thought -- just what made them decide this was *not* a hate crime?

Given the details present in the original article, I can see how someone might interpret the events as a common, garden-variety altercation. I don't interpret them that way at all -- in fact, one would have to be actively seeking some excuse to not categorize it as a hate crime.

Still, some administrative lenience might be expected when the man did the police the favor of turning himself in. That was frightfully thoughtful of him. I do find it curious that he's been apparently been charged (thus far) with assault with intent to cause bodily harm. After all, the idea that Mr. Romanowski intended to cause bodily harm rather pales beside the fact that bodily harm was done.

What does one get for that up there anyway... 30 days without chewing gum? Or do they get really harsh and take away one's beer?

Jump to: