Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth and Homelessness  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:41 AM

'berto wrote:
I think he was condemning himself as much as anyone else, really.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth and Homelessness  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Feral wrote:
The character in "Angels in America" who said "Homosexuals are men who in fifteen years of trying cannot get a pissant antidiscrimination bill through City Council" was Roy Cohn, or at least so named and so intended. I doubt whether Mr. Cohn was ever so engaging as Al pacino's portrayal of him.

There is a decided malady among the gay people that is described rather nicely by the commentary mouthed by the Roy Cohn character in "Angels in America." It is more than the remarkable division between the gay Left and the gay Right. It is summed up in the quotation "Do you want to be nice or do you want to be effective?"

Too many gays spend too much time being 'nice' and being seen as nice. They spend too much talking about 'all people' and almost none at all talking about 'gay people.' The other excuse that you will hear often is "no one helped me when I was growing up; I don't owe anyone anything." One cannot accomplish anything good by deifying a status quo founded on negligence and callous indifference. It will not benefit anyone -- it won't even make you feel better.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:42 AM

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Quote:
I doubt whether Mr. Cohn was ever so engaging as Al Pacino's portrayal of him.

Certainly not. Pacino ran away with that movie; not an easy thing to do when your co-stars are the likes of Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson.

For the benefit of those who might not be familiar with Mr. Cohn's background: he is best known as Sen. Joseph McCarthy's hatchet-man, and was infinitely more evil than the Senator himself.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:43 AM

'berto wrote:
Cohn is on the right-hand side in this picture.

An offensive little rat if there ever was one. Unfortunately, he died in bed of old age, not as he should have.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
he died in bed of old age

Actually, few people would characterize the cause of Mr. Cohn's death as "old age."

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Feral wrote:
Deb Price has some thoughts on what Speaker Pelosi's priorities ought to be:

Quote:
Why should Pelosi put "Protect our gay kids" atop the House's to-do list? Heart-breaking research provides plenty of reasons:

# Compared with classmates, gay kids are more likely to use alcohol and drugs, engage in risky sex, have more sex partners, skip school for fear of being attacked, think of suicide or even attempt suicide, according to a 2001 article in the American Journal of Public Health. Gay kids whose schools provided gay-sensitive instruction about HIV reported fewer problems.

# Nearly half of gay kids told the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network in 2005 they attend schools that teach a federally funded "abstinence-only" until heterosexual marriage courses.

That sort of sex ed makes gay kids feel invisible -- or worse. Gay students at such schools reported higher levels of skipping school because they don't feel safe, being bullied and feeling unable to talk with teachers, counselors or other adults paid to help them through rocky growing-up years. And these kids were less likely to know any openly gay school official.

# Seventy-five percent of gay youth report hearing anti-gay name-calling like "faggot" or "dyke" often at school. And more than one-third (38 percent) said they'd experienced anti-gay physical harassment at school, the network's National School Climate survey found.

# Young males, ages 15 to 22, who have sex with other men are at high risk for HIV -- that's particularly true among African-Americans and Hispanics -- but 55 percent keep their orientation secret, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Those secretive boys and young men, the CDC says, are less likely than open gays or bisexuals to get tested for HIV, so they are less likely to know if they are infected. They're also likely to have female sex partners, whom they put at risk for HIV.

# The most vulnerable gay kids -- throwaways, runaways and lockaways -- report appalling levels of anti-gay abuse in foster care, homeless shelters and juvenile detention centers, the Child Welfare League of America finds.

Pelosi ought to use her forceful "mother of five" voice to speak out against these outrages and insist that our nation live up to its obligation to gay kids. Now, that would be a pretty picture.

Of course, Ms Price is quite correct. She also seems to have a very active imagination. She should try her hand at writing fiction -- I suspect she'd be rather good at it. The remarkable gulf between what Pelosi ought to do and what she likely will do is just dumbfounding. You will kindly note that Deb Price has NOT suggested that Speaker Pelosi actually accomplish something -- not once. The phrases "she should direct the new Congress to take its first serious look at what it's like to grow up gay in America," "put 'Protect our gay kids' atop the House's to-do list," and "speak out against these outrages and insist that our nation live up to its obligation to gay kids" appear in the commentary. Taking a look, putting things on lists, and speaking out -- this is what passes for fantasy writing these days.

Me -- I'm holding out for substantive action on these points and more. Alas, I'm not going to see any. I doubt they will even propose one bill pertaining to any of it. What's sad though is I don't think Ms Price is going to fare any better having limited her aspirations to empty words.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth  PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 - 08:48 AM

vanrozenheim wrote:
Feral wrote:
What's sad though is I don't think Ms Price is going to fare any better having limited her aspirations to empty words.

These days? Nowadays we are talking about a "victory" when no further gay marriage ban is passed. Seems like times are not particularly good in the US for introducing bills on equal marriage or gay kids protection on the federal level? Or, Lord prevent, to demand equal immigration?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Helping LGBT homeless youth find their way

Quote:
"LGBT runaway homeless youth are four times more likely to attempt suicide than their counterparts. Thirty percent of the adolescent completed suicides are by our kids."

The truth is, there are only a handful of drop-in centers equipped specifically to help LGBT youth. "There are only four youth social centers in the country specifically working with LGBT kids," said McClelland. "We need two or three in Detroit. One is in L.A.; two are in New York City."

There's a strong need for the community to become more active in helping LGBT youth in the city, she said. "The community doesn't take care of our youth who are coming out in droves, and not taking care of them. We're doing them a disservice (by telling them to 'Come Out') by asking them to do it. The general public needs to step up. This work is extremely personal. We have to get to a point where we shouldn't have to be talking about this, people need to step up."

There are only four youth social centers in the US specifically working with LGBT kids? You know they spend way too much time begging and scraping up funding as well.

Such places as the Ruth Ellis Center will take your money, you know. They'll take your time and energy as well, but since there are only four of the things in the US, an awful lot of people have the frightfully convenient excuse that there are no such centers near them where they can volunteer. This would be an excuse to send two cheques, not one. There isn't really any excuse for not sending one.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2007 - 09:07 PM
Site Admin

Fear of homophobia in hostels leads to search for ‘boyfriends’
Quote:
Young homeless gay men are selling themselves for sex on the internet to get a bed for the night because of homophobia in hostel accommodation.

[..]

Gayle Jones, chair of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender group at St Mungo’s, said gay men left homeless because of family breakdowns could suffer low self-esteem.

‘There’s a lot of drug and alcohol use in the gay scene. A lot revolves around bars and clubs. If you are young, you have lost your friends and family and feel low about yourself, you will not be bothered about going off with someone who makes you feel better, gives you a bed for the night and shower in the morning.’

Ms Jones said young gay people often imagined there was more homophobia in hostels that there was. They needed as much education and advice as possible to know what options were available to them, she added.

Yes-yes, those stupid innocent young boys are totally unaware of the often so-gay-friendly hostels and get abused by old homosexual men, while they actually mustn't... Grow up, honey: those Gay men are often the only friends the homeless kids do have. Were there more safe places suitable for homeless Gay youth, the said youth would not invest so much energy into search for a casual sleep-over.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Ms Jones said young gay people often imagined there was more homophobia in hostels that there was. They needed as much education and advice as possible to know what options were available to them, she added.

I'm shaking my head here in utter disbelief.

They imagine there is more homophobia in hostels than actually exists there? Of course they imagine it... it would hardly be prudent for them to just traipse in to "test the water." What does Ms Jones think these young people are going to do -- test a large and statistically significant sample of hostels and then come to a reasoned conclusion about what sorts of behavior are statistically likely to be encountered in them? Oh yes -- all this homophobia the kids are (quite rightly) avoiding is just imaginary. Yup -- a delusion brought on by an excess of hormones and the inexperience of youth. After all, the wild and feverish imaginations of young people are legendary. Of course there is no homophobia to speak of in these hostels. Neither is there any to be found in the UK's social services. You couldn't possibly be subjected to homophobia by one of Britain's ever-so-gay-friendly health care providers. Nope... no homophobia in the public and private schools in the UK either. None. It's all imaginary. Never mind that year after year exactly these things happen. It's all just some illusion.

PIFF

These kids grew up within a cultural context. They know exactly where they are and what is likely to be in their environment. They have seen time and again that homophobia will hound them everywhere they go -- even in their own allegedly loving families. Certainly this perception lacks a certain depth due to an unavoidable lack of experience, but the perception is valid on its face.

As it happens, 'selling' yourself for sex to get a bed for the night is a functional proposition. It works quite well. There are a number of hazards involved, but generally they are fewer than would have to be dealt with in the hostels. On a basic level, it's a prudent and effective strategy.

If Ms Jones wishes to counter this allegedly imaginary perception that the hostels are neither safe nor desirable, then I'm afraid she shall have to do better than blindly insist that the imaginary perception is false. It's not. It is being acted upon as if it is fundamentally true -- the ultimate veracity of the perception is not all that pertinent. What she and her colleagues need to do is produce a manifestly self-evident perception to counter-act the kids' perceptions. No one will need to persuade the youngsters then... it will be self-evident. Here too, it's not all that essential that her marketing be strictly true... it just needs to be perceived as true. There is a difference.

Telling the kids they are "just imagining things" is not the best way to begin. While Ms Jones and her well-meaning cronies are busy denigrating their potential clients' judgment, the potential clients are busy tending to their own needs. The youngsters' decisions are not always ideal (what young person has ever made an ideal decision?), but they ARE functional. If the hostel crowd wants to be a viable alternative to what the kids are currently doing, they will have to show themselves to be a clearly better (not marginally better) option.

Were they to put their minds to it, I think they ought to be able to accomplish this quite easily. Dealing with teenagers is not rocket science and you need no specialized degrees. All that's really necessary is a clear memory of what, exactly, it was like to be a teenager. Failing that, asking a couple will be a perfectly acceptable substitute.

But yes... they DO need "as much education and advice as possible" to know what options are available to them. Too often our youth are completely unaware of many valuable options. Too often they are also quite incapable of exercising those options without assistance even once they know what they are. I'm afraid they rather need advocates, not educators.

Rain
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth and Homelessness  PostPosted: Jul 24, 2007 - 06:18 AM

Rev. Ruben Diaz is my mother's former boss. The same mother who ripped out part of the skin in the center of my chest when I came out of the closet at the age of 13. She did it with her teeth. For years I had a lovely scar of both her upper and lower jaws in the center of my chest.

I love my mother. I really do. And she's come a long why since that horrible day. But the years that followed after that attack have left an indelible imprint on my psyche. I left home at a very young age to avoid further attacks. I stayed in school and I was fortunate to finish my schooling and I was never homeless (in no small measure thanks to some very supportive boyfriends).

Today, she's older and frail...and for whatever reason, I do what I can as her only child to make her life a little bit more comfortable.
But compassion is still hard to come by some days.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth and Homelessness  PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 - 10:12 AM
Site Admin

USA: Gay Foster Youth
Quote:
The ABA is expected to back several measures on foster care, including supporting changes in the law like those Boxer is proposing.

Another resolution calls attention to discrimination faced by gay foster children, who surveys say make up as much as 60 percent of the foster care population.

"These are the kids who are the most rejected, the most discriminated against, the most abused," said ABA president Karen Mathis.

But, she added, most foster youth are considered "throwaways" by society, even by some lawyers and judges who work in the juvenile justice system.

"Too many judges want to know how the kids got screwed up," she said.

Pico said he knows people in foster care who have never met with the lawyers who represent them in regular court hearings. Alice Bussiere, a staff attorney with the Youth Law Center in San Francisco, said she has heard similar comments from judges.

Up to 60% of all foster children? It would be interesting to see the original surveys.

Rain
Post subject: RE: Gay Youth and Homelessness  PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Sadly, the foster care system in this country doesn't serve the needs of any child, gay or straight. Most of the people who apply (and are accepted) as foster parents are doing it for the money. They do get an awful lot of money to foster children in the U.S.

My mom's cousing Christina fostered five kids at once. She made enough out of the thousands of dollars she was sent every month to be able to buy a nice home on Long Island. She did fall in love with one kid and adopted him, though.

But still...the system is a cash cow for many of the people willing to take these kids in.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Jump to: