Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Queers in Georgia (the ex-Soviet one)  PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 08:01 PM

"An event promoting tolerance and cultural dialogue in Georgia has been cancelled, after rumours spread that it was in fact a gay parade."

Quote:
The highly influential head of the Georgian Orthodox church spoke out against the event. Organisers told the BBC they feared that the participants could have been attacked if it went ahead.

Gays have come under attack in former Soviet republics, with the Orthodox Church one of their main critics.

Since false rumours spread that the planned event was a demonstration for homosexual rights, the organisers say they have received large numbers of abusive telephone calls and emails, some making threats of physical violence.

The event was to have been held in the Georgian capital next week as part of a Europe-wide campaign against intolerance, called "all different, all equal".

But it was cancelled on Tuesday amid fears for the safety of the young people taking part. The organisers, a human rights organisation called Century 21, say they are victims of what they describe as disinformation and lies broadcast by Georgian television channels.

Can you think of a *better* case to illustrate the NEED for such an event?!

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 - 07:00 AM

Quote:
A few months back, I met some courageous youths who had set up Georgia's first gay rights group. They were wary about revealing their full names, and I won't repeat them here.

"Violence is an everyday thing if a person is an outright homosexual," one told me. "The response from family members when someone comes out as gay is usually negative, including being kicked out of the house, being locked up in a room or being taken to psychiatrists.

"It's only a community of maybe 150 to 200 people who are 'out,' but it's not stable. There is no regular place for homosexuals. If a place becomes known to be gay-friendly, homophobic people come in and try to stop it."

Afterward, I went out onto the street to ask people what they thought about this new organization for Georgian homosexuals. Surprisingly, most of the women I spoke to thought it was wonderful, although I quickly realized that they had no idea what I was talking about. "It's good there is an organization that will enable them to get help," said one middle-aged shopper. "Maybe they can be cured of this sickness."

Moscow Times...

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: