Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: May 01, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Apparently, the proposed federal US hate crimes bill has been named for Matthew Shepard, and now

it's moving forward through Congress:

Quote:
Last week the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act passed out of the Judiciary Committee. The legislation now makes its way to the floor of the United States House of Representatives for consideration by the full chamber.

[...]

Under the current US federal law, enacted nearly 40 years ago, the government has the authority to help investigate and prosecute bias-motivated attacks based on race, colour, national origin and religion. However, under current law, the federal government is not able to help in cases where women, gay, transgender or disabled Americans are victims of bias-motivated crimes for who they are.

For example, in Texas, in July 2005, four men brutally assaulted a gay man. While punching and kicking him, whipping him with a vacuum cord and assaulting him with daggers, the offenders told the victim that they attacked him because he was gay. Two of the men were sentenced to six years in prison under a plea bargain that dropped the charges that could have sent them to prison for life.

Under this bill, federal authorities would have had the jurisdiction to prosecute the crime or could have provided local authorities resources that might have assisted them in pursuing a longer sentence. The act would provide crucial federal resources to state and local agencies and equip local law enforcement officers with the tools they need to investigate and prosecute crimes.

[...]

In the hate crime on which the film Boys Don't Cry was based, 21-year-old Brandon Teena was raped and later killed by two friends after they discovered he was biologically female. After the rape and assault, Teena reported the crime to the police, but Richardson County Sheriff Richard Laux, who referred to Teena as "it," did not allow his deputies to arrest the two men responsible. Five days later, those two men shot and stabbed Teena to death in front of two witnesses, Lisa Lambert and Philip DeVine, who were then also murdered. JoAnn Brandon, Teena's mother, filed a civil suit against Laux, claiming that he was negligent in failing to arrest the men immediately after the rape.

The court found that the county was at least partially responsible for Teena's death and characterised Laux's behaviour as "extreme and outrageous." Had this federal hate crime law been in effect, federal authorities could have investigated and prosecuted the offenders when the local authorities refused to do so.

However, truth and facts don't matter, and stories like Brandon Teena's cut no ice with those who think queers are sub-human. Ex-"American Family Association" attorney Joe Murray cites some examples of the depths that these hateful, loathsome creatures will go to in their bigotry:

Quote:
Just when it was thought that the hate crimes debate had hit rock bottom, some pro-family organizations opted to capitalize on tragedy and politicize the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech to score political points.

"Under this legislation, the crimes at Virginia Tech, which some are calling one of the deadliest rampages in U.S. history, would not be punishable to the level of these so-called 'hate-crimes'," wrote Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council (FRC), in an email alert sent out to FRC supporters. Perkins' analysis, however, was far from over.

Explaining why the hate crimes bill is not good for America, Perkins wrote, "If the House approves H.R. 1592 and the Senate follows, a homosexual would have more federal protection under the law than the 32 victims of last week's massacre."

Words cannot describe how disheartening such a comment, from a man who champions the values of Christianity, is. While parents, siblings, students and staff mourned the senseless killings of 32 members of the Virginia Tech community, Perkins thought it was an opportune time, and perhaps even an exercise of his Christian duty, to exploit the tragic situation to aid in the manufacturing of a "homosexual agenda." This is not only degrading to Virginia Tech and to the gay community, it clearly prostitutes any notion of family values.

And while many would hope that Perkins' actions are isolated instances of political prostitution, one would be wrong as the folks at TVC found it prudent to debase the image of Christ to make a political point.

TVC has produced a "wanted poster" in which Jesus Christ, wearing a crown of thorns, is wanted for violating the proposed hate crimes bill. Under "identifying remarks," the poster reads, "scars along forehead, in the hands and feet, & scar on side." The poster states that Christ is "wanted for revealing the truth about homosexuality in 'The Bible' and encouraging his followers not to offend God by committing such behavior."

Joe Murray goes on to call the poster in the second example "more rhetoric than reality", but I will go further -- it is a blatant, outright lie, designed to appeal to the bigotries of ignorant rubes who have never even read the bible -- nowhere does the bible attribute a single statement about same sex attraction or behaviour to Jesus.

As for Tony Perkins, he is a maggot, pure and simple. Indeed, as opposed to the bizarre comparisons that Perkins makes to the Virginia Tech killings, there actually is a possible connection that is the exact opposite of the twisted point Perkins is attempting to make. Libby Post points to this potential connection, citing Bob Herbert's op-ed in the New York Times:

Quote:
Herbert wrote, " . . . a close look at the patterns of murderous violence in the U.S. reveals some remarkable consistencies, wherever the individual atrocities may have occurred. In case after case, decade after decade, the killers have been shown to be young men riddled with shame and humiliation, often bitterly misogynistic and homophobic, who have decided that the way to assert their faltering sense of manhood and get the respect they have been denied is to go out and shoot somebody."

He turned to New York University professor Dr. James Gilligan who has spent years as a prison psychiatrist studying violence. Combining misogyny and homophobia is lethal, according to Gilligan, who terms the coupling a "central component" in most of our nation's most violent crimes.

After decades of working with murderers, rapists and every kind of violent criminal Gilligan concludes "that an underlying factor that is virtually always present to one degree or another is a feeling that one has to prove one's manhood, and that the way to do that, to gain the respect that has been lost, is to commit a violent act."

Herbert then wrote "Violence is commonly resorted to as the antidote to the disturbing emotions raised by the widespread hostility toward women in our society and the pathological fear of so many men that they aren't quite tough enough, masculine enough -- in short, that they might have homosexual tendencies."

But then, since when have these "traditional values" folks been concerned about anything but rank bigotry and hatred? It seems many of them are big fans of irony, though; as pointed out above,

Quote:
Under the current US federal law, enacted nearly 40 years ago, the government has the authority to help investigate and prosecute bias-motivated attacks based on race, colour, national origin and religion.

The ironic bit is that some of those who most bitterly oppose extending this same recognition to queers are folks who, four decades ago, were protected by this very same legislation themselves.

"Some animals are more equal than others."

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject: RE: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2007 - 02:36 AM

Something rotten in the Senate

Quote:
All this still begs the question of why in the first place HRC and its Democratic allies in the Senate chose to burden the hate crimes bill by linking it to easily the most controversial piece of legislation in Congress. The hate crimes measure has bipartisan majority support in the Senate and so would pass if voted on as a free-standing measure (or attached to something germane and not so controversial).

There is the potential for filibuster, of course, which would raise the bar to 60 votes for Senate passage, but there's no guarantee (or even a specific threat) that the Republicans would target such a popular measure or that there'd be too few votes to overcome a filibuster if attempted. In fact, the last time the gay-inclusive hate crimes bill passed the Senate, in June 2004, the vote was 65 to 33, with 18 Republicans voting in favor. That's not only enough to overcome a filibuster, it's just shy of enough to override a veto.

And yet once again, like so many times before, through years when Democrats controlled one or both houses of Congress and even the White House, gay rights bills wallow as low priority items. There's no talk of votes in the House and Senate for the Employment Non-Discrimination Act either, even though it has majority support in both chambers. We shouldn't be surprised. Democrats and their lackies at HRC have been hinting privately since January that "the deal" with the party's leadership is that only hate crimes would get a vote this year, so this "frustrating delay" fits the pattern.

What further evidence do we need that gay rights are little more than a political football to Howard Dean, Harry Reid and other Democratic leaders? They called for votes on gay rights measures when the GOP controlled Congress and they knew Republicans would kill them, but they sit on their hands when they're in control.

They sit on their hands not because they oppose our civil rights. Their support is real, if mostly rhetorical. But they know that if a hate crimes bill passes, or even if it's vetoed, the gays will start clamoring for a vote on ENDA. If ENDA passes or is vetoed, then "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is next on the list. And as we travel down that list, the political risk to Democrats grows. Or worse yet, a lame duck Republican president might sign hate crimes or ENDA, and the Democrats' lock on being the party of equality would be challenged.

It all boils down to this: Democrats have controlled Congress for six months now, and no gay rights bill has made it to their priority list for passage. Now, according to HRC, all we've got is a "commitment" for a vote on hate crimes "this year." Even if that happens, that still leaves ENDA, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," and a half-dozen other gay rights bills languishing in Congress.

And when "this year" is over, and maybe hate crimes at best will have gotten a vote, we already know what we'll be told because we've heard it so many times before: 2008 is an election year, and gay rights is too hot a potato to touch right now. Now more than ever is the time for action from our "courageous" Senate allies Hillary Rodham Clinton, Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Chris Dodd. They've all promised "leadership" on gay rights if elected president, so let's see some "leadership" now and demand a vote in the Senate on the gay rights bills that are pending.

And just to get this out of the way (for the 100th time): By criticizing these Democrats, I am not saying Republicans are better. Of course they're not. And anyone who suggests differently should have their head examined. But the question is whether our energy is better spent complaining about conservative Republicans we’ll never change or pressing "friendly" Democrats who actually control the fate of gay rights legislation. Even our friends in Congress are politicians first and will take the path of least resistance. We need to make action more attractive than inaction for them. Look no further than the anti-war movement’s unrelenting pressure and the way Democrats have responded. Only we have the votes on our bills that they do not.

Feral
Post subject: RE: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Quote:
All this still begs the question of why in the first place HRC and its Democratic allies in the Senate chose to burden the hate crimes bill by linking it to easily the most controversial piece of legislation in Congress.

I suspect that HRC had little to do with it. We'll just leave the peculiar idea that HRC has any allies in the Senate alone... after all, we'd have to settle on the definition of "ally." But why is was done? That's fairly easy -- Mr. Kennedy has made a habit of attaching Gay-inclusive hate crimes bills to legislation. He has made a habit of doing so, and it's one of his few virtues. The amendments even get passed in the Senate -- have on three occasions thus far, as I recall. In the past they've always been stripped out of the end product in the conference committee.

While this vote has it's uses as a gage of who is and who is not on our side, it would be precipitous to place too much stock in its outcome either way.

berto
Post subject: RE: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2007 - 05:58 AM

I think I recall you saying that you actually oppose this bill, Fer. Might I ask why?

Feral
Post subject: RE: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2007 - 06:23 AM

"Oppose" is perhaps too strong a word. If I were a senator (which I am not), I would not vote yes on it. I haven't exactly been banging the drum against the bill either. It is a boondoggle that will accomplish nothing but create the vain (and dangerous) perception that something has been done. Some people like to see the glass half-full. They are welcome to their view. However, when that glass is half-full, but half-full of something undrinkable, it's not exactly what a thirsty person wants, now is it?

Now, I've been known to hold my nose and support boondoggles in the past... but even whores get paid (customarily in advance). I see no benefit for the Gay people in supporting this bill at all. If it had teeth, I could find myself supporting it as at least better than nothing. I don't find that it IS better than nothing. I find that it is a waste of time, energy, and political capital. If it passes (AND survives the conference committee), it will be ballyhooed as the greatest civil rights victory of our time. I just won't be a member of that chorus. It's an empty promise and a crass betrayal.

Just my $0.02 (those would be Coral Sea dollars, not those dollars that can actually BUY stuff). As usual, I will be well-pleased indeed to be wrong.

Rain
Post subject: RE: The Matthew Shepard Bill  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2007 - 08:44 AM

This is ridiculous. Our federal government has taken the Microsoft approach to criminal legislation. That is, just like MS issues "hotfixes" to address individual bugs in its operating system, our government has traditionally targeted individual bits and pieces of criminal legislation in its futile attempts to fix, pander, patronize and coddle public sentiment and perceptions.

What is really needed is a sweeping overhaul of our criminal code...at all levels of government, from the local straight up to the federal level. This includes a modern, rational, dispassionate, and historical approach to amending the Constitution.

Opponents of hates crime legislation on the right, are quick to oppose gun control efforts on the left. But of course! At the end of the day, it's class warfare. And those guns need to be in those gun cabinets just in case. In the meantime, they make sure certain groups can't have legal recourse...just in case one of their kids goes ape shit and hurts, maims or kills someone.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Box Turtle Bulletin has posted the text of this bill. They've also done a fine job of summarizing much of the histrionic and baseless opposition to the bill from the religious Right.

Now, supporters of this bill would do well to make that support known to their senators promptly. It would be better if they did so by mail.

I'd draw attention to two portions of the bill.

Quote:
SEC. 4. SUPPORT FOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS AND PROSECUTIONS BY STATE, LOCAL, AND TRIBAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS.

(5) GRANT AMOUNT- A grant under this subsection shall not exceed $100,000 for any single jurisdiction in any 1-year period.
(7) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There is authorized to be appropriated to carry out this subsection $5,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2008 and 2009.

How many "single jurisdictions" might one suppose there are in the United States? How many of them need (or could use) financial assistance in prosecuting hate crimes of any description? Five million dollars will fund fifty of these "single jurisdictions" to the level of $100,000. I find this level of funding to be sufficiently low that I must suspect the authors of the bill of trying to cripple it from its inception. I would have there be no cap on any jurisdiction's ability to receive aid. Given the prevalence of hate crimes in the US (ALL hate crimes, not just those against Gays), I think ten times the proposed appropriation might be a better starting point... assuming the federal government means to DO something about this issue (apart from waste a number of reams of paper).

Quote:
SEC. 7. PROHIBITION OF CERTAIN HATE CRIME ACTS.

(2) OFFENSES INVOLVING ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENDER, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR DISABILITY-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Whoever, whether or not acting under color of law, in any circumstance described in subparagraph (B), willfully causes bodily injury to any person or, through the use of fire, a firearm, or an explosive or incendiary device, attempts to cause bodily injury to any person, because of the actual or perceived religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability of any person–

`(i) shall be imprisoned not more than 10 years, fined in accordance with this title, or both; and

`(ii) shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life, fined in accordance with this title, or both, if–

`(I) death results from the offense; or

`(II) the offense includes kidnaping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill.

`(B) CIRCUMSTANCES DESCRIBED- For purposes of subparagraph (A), the circumstances described in this subparagraph are that–

`(i) the conduct described in subparagraph (A) occurs during the course of, or as the result of, the travel of the defendant or the victim–

`(I) across a State line or national border; or

`(II) using a channel, facility, or instrumentality of interstate or foreign commerce;

`(ii) the defendant uses a channel, facility, or instrumentality of interstate or foreign commerce in connection with the conduct described in subparagraph (A);

`(iii) in connection with the conduct described in subparagraph (A), the defendant employs a firearm, explosive or incendiary device, or other weapon that has traveled in interstate or foreign commerce; or

`(iv) the conduct described in subparagraph (A)–

`(I) interferes with commercial or other economic activity in which the victim is engaged at the time of the conduct; or

`(II) otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce.

(The emphasis is mine.)

This would be the bit that applies to Gays (Subsection 1, which is quite similar, does not apply to Gays -- the parallel structure looks all the world like an attempt to make it easier to amend those objectionable queers right out of it, should someone wish to do so).

This is not a hate crimes bill. This is a bill outlawing the use of "fire, a firearm, or an explosive or incendiary device" to cause bodily injury or death, but only in circumstances described in paragraph B.

If this very bill had been passed twenty years ago, would it have even applied to the Matthew Sheppard case? If the bill were already law, would the killers of Michael Sandy be prosecutable under it's provisions? How about the attacks near San Diego's Balboa park last summer... would they have violated this law if it had already been in force?

Most of the critics of this bill really ARE making up some of the most bizarre and hateful stuff to propagandize against it. But so too are this bill's supporters fantasizing about what this bill will affect.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 01:36 AM
Site Admin

Suppose, all thise nonsence is due to the competition between the state vs the federal legislation? I fear the worst for the coming EU laws, if they will be forced to take notice of the rights of member states...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 08:26 AM

vanrozenheim wrote:
Suppose, all thise nonsence is due to the competition between the state vs the federal legislation? I fear the worst for the coming EU laws, if they will be forced to take notice of the rights of member states...

That is exactly what this nonsense is due to.

Now, I suppose I should be pleased that, should the bill be made law, federal (rather than state) charges can be filed against some basher who causes bodily injury with fire, guns, and bombs -- it's not like these sorts of things have never happened. Still, it has become the fashion these days to compile lists, and they are moving lists.

Ronnie Antonio Paris died of injuries after being beaten by his father; Arthur “J.R.” Warren was beaten and then run over with a car; Sakia Gunn was stabbed to death; Gwen Aurujo was ultimately strangled by a rope; Paul Broussard was attacked by ten assailants with fists, steel-toed boots, two-by-fours studded with nails, and at least one knife; Fred Martinez was bludgeoned; Michael Sandy was allegedly beaten, chased into traffic where he was struck by a car, then beaten again; Dwan Prince was beaten and remains in a coma; Billy Jack Gaither was beaten to death; Barry Winchell was bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat; Alan Schindler was beaten and stomped to death; Kevin Aviance was beaten; James Maestas was beaten.

Unless some clever US Attorney could have found some crossing of state or national borders, or some other aspect of interstate commerce to turn any of these cases into a federal matter, this proposed law would do nothing but make the jurisdiction eligible for financial assistance. Now, people have been known to travel from New Jersey to New York (and vice versa) ... a few of these cases might just be prosecutable under this proposed law.

Of the stories (and I recognized almost all of them) that Terrance listed, two did not have a readily ascertainable cause of death -- Steen Keith Fenrich and Tyra Hunter. Brandon Teena and Danny Overstreet, however, were killed with firearms -- their murders would be hate crimes prosecutable under this bill.

Something surely ought to be done in the US (and pretty much every country) about hate crimes against the Gay people. I just don't see this bill being anything approaching a "something" and I cannot understand the purpose served by propagandizing this proposed legislation with lists of hideous, horrible crimes when the bill being paraded about would not do anything in regards to 86% of the crimes listed as a reason that something must be done.

I'm afraid that bills outlawing the sale or possession of steel-toed boots or baseball bats would be more effective. I would be inclined to vote for such prohibitions, were I a senator.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hate crimes bill in limbo: Senate leaders mum on timetable; Pelosi sees ENDA vote in September

Quote:
A gay- and transgender-inclusive hate crimes bill will remain stalled in the Senate until at least September and could remain in limbo until October or later, Capitol Hill sources familiar with the legislation said.

In a related development, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated this week she expects to bring another key gay rights bill, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, or ENDA, to the House floor for a vote in September.

“We expect ENDA on the floor in September,” said Sydney Jones, a Pelosi spokesperson. ENDA would ban employment discrimination based on a person’s sexual orientation and gender identity.

Lots more @ link

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 - 08:39 PM

An excellent piece about the phobes who are lying through their teeth about the Matthew Sheppard Act in an attempt to protect their "right" to spew hatred from the pulpit.

Quote:
I've seen crowds stand and cheer when pastors trot out the tired old rhyme about Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. The room would get quiet, though, if their message about homosexuality was rooted in love and infused with the humbling reality that all have sinned and come short of God's glory.

"It's really kind of disappointing to see church leaders want to protect hate speech in the pulpit," said Jonathan Cole, co-coordinator of the Shelby County Committee of the Tennessee Equality Project.

"This isn't something that the monolithic church has decided on," he added. "There's a very diverse number of opinions on the issue."

In fact, the African American Ministers in Action, African-American Women's Clergy Association, Church Women United, the Episcopal Church and Congress of National Black Churches all support the federal hate crimes legislation.

Still, on the Memphis City Churches' Web site (mphscc.org), the hysteria is evident in the urgency of all capital letters.

"ANY SERMONS AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY WILL BE A CRIME. TELLING A PERSON THAT HE OR SHE CAN COME OUT OF GAY LIFE WILL BE A CRIME."

So much for the commandment prohibiting lying, since none of this is true. U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen, who voted for the bill that will now go to the Senate, has tried to assure local ministers as much.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 - 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
"ANY SERMONS AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY WILL BE A CRIME. TELLING A PERSON THAT HE OR SHE CAN COME OUT OF GAY LIFE WILL BE A CRIME."

Unfortunately, the legislation in question does not include provisions nearly similar to the quoted ones. Be them assured, however, that if I were the legislator, the quoted passage would be accepted without a question. I shiver in respect when I imagine what kind of sentences the tresspassers would face if Feral would be the judge! Twisted Evil

As for the hate preacher, we have here a saying: "Fascism is not an opinion, it is a crime." There is no need to be tolerant to people pushing for intolerance - they have forfeited their rights. If these individuals insist on their right to instigate hate crimes against Gay people, they should not be surprized that some Gays might be tempted to execute self-justice, or at least advocate for it... Not that I were calling for such things - instigating to hate crimes is a criminal offence in Germany.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 - 11:34 PM

vanrozenheim wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, the legislation in question does not include provisions nearly similar to the quoted ones. Be them assured, however, that if I were the legislator, the quoted passage would be accepted without a question. I shiver in respect when I imagine what kind of sentences the tresspassers would face if Feral would be the judge! Twisted Evil

Shiver away. Those who believe in the deleterious effects of "negative energy" had best start in with their visualizations of "white light" with all haste.

Soliciting murder is worthy of 25 years to life. Of course, it's possible to preach a sermon without soliciting murder. The typical sermon of this type is not criminal at all (within closed doors), even if it is immoral. "Telling a person he or she can come out of a Gay life" is a remarkably coy way of describing what this phenomenon commonly entails. Rioting or inciting rioting is worthy of 5 years imprisonment. I have no problems with the US government's standard of three people constituting a riot. Neither do I have any problems with the various states' higher standard (usually 5) -- after all, the federal definition requires an act of violence and the state definitions generally don't. Depending on how this seemingly harmless bit of religious advice is actually phrased, it can constitute child abuse. Ten years seems about right for that (though some jurisdictions punish it much more harshly).

Jump to: