Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: We’re sorry, MoD tells gay victims of persecution  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2007 - 07:09 PM

We’re sorry, MoD tells gay victims of persecution

Quote:
The Ministry of Defence has apologised to all servicemen and servicewomen who suffered persecution and discrimination before the ban on homosexuality was lifted seven years ago.

Until 2000, men and women of the Armed Forces were dismissed if it was discovered that they were gay or lesbian.

Fifty men and women who served in the Forces until their careers were ended when their homosexuality was revealed are waiting for their cases for breach of privacy to be settled by the MoD.

Robert Ely, a former warrant officer first class who was thrown out of the Parachute Regiment after 21 years’ service when his sexual orientation was discovered, tells the BBC programme: “For me, compensation now is the only way to end it. In the past I haven’t been a person to want compensation. Now I do.”

Ah -- they're sorry.

That's nice. It is.

This story makes it seem like all this nasty business is something that happened just eons ago and is no longer the case. The Ministry has been just brimming with feel-good slap-happy statements these days.

It's gone from ‘You’re fired’ to ‘You’re a valued member of the team’ they say.

Huh.

That's a curious point of view.

The Ministry has racked up just millions of pounds of compensation to these "valued members of the team," and that's AFTER 2000. The debt shows no indication that it will fail to grow steadily. If this is how a Ministry of the Government of the United Kingdom shows how it "values" someone, remind me to refrain from ever being "valued" by the Brits. This word "value" seems to be one of those odd words like 'fag' or 'fanny' -- it clearly must mean something quite different to the rest of us.

They can add the compensation for the people they've abused before the year 2000 to what they owe the people they've been busily abusing after 2000.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I guess "We're sorry" wasn't quite good enough.

UK to pay over $6,000,000 to discharged gays & lesbians

Quote:
Britain's Ministry of Defence says that it will pay more than 3 million British Pounds (over $6,000,000) in compensation to men and women who were fired from their jobs because they are gay. At the time of their dismissals, the British Armed Forces had a ban in place. But, that ended in 2000.

The compensation is based, not on unlawful termination, but on the violation of the servicemen and women's privacy.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: