Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 12:53 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
Fair enough -- the Foundation is young yet, and it's membership is inexperienced in such things. There is a cure for both maladies: time, patience, and practice.

Yep. We have much to learn (and to do). Methinks, the combination of practical activities (like our humble vigil on 19 July) with theoretical considerations is the way to go: the former helps our folks to understand ourselves as a People, the latter shows the perspectives for political and cultural development. However, we must provide something of more substance.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
However, we must provide something of more substance.

Such as...?

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 01:50 AM
Site Admin

"National Manifesto" + book/brochure explaining the idea of a Gay Homeland with more detail. Plus, a "Reader" or two, and a periodical Jounal would be fine. The latter can appearr biannually, for the first, and be distributed either as Print-on-demand and in PDF. Editors/contributors?

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Some years back I pitched a proposal to the denizens of the gay ballroom/voguing community nationwide. In view of the fact that this phenomenon had spread all over the country (and indeed, world wide), I proposed the creation of an archive to house many of the intrinsic artifacts, artwork, posters, flyers, film footage and photographs that had been accumulating in private hands over the decades.

This is after all a scene that has ancient roots stretching back to pre-Roman and Classical Greek times. I got an offer from one gentleman who is an out, gay doctor in D.C. He himself had been the product of the gay ballroom scene as a teenager. He offered the sum of $25,000 if I could find an organization willing to take up the task of collecting and archiving. I met with folks at the LGBT Center in New York. Their head archivist agreed to tackle the job...for a fee. End result--the generous "benefactor" proved not to be so generous afterall. The whole project fell through.

However, in view of the fact that anything substantial would require an obvious financial investment, I modestly propose a compilation of gay literary works spanning the breadth of written history. Nothing exhaustive , but a random sampling throughout the ages. I recall finding a book in college called "Eros". It was an ancient work. A compilation of classical and neo-classical odes, poetry and other works dedicated to man-to-man love (the author's words). The homoerotic poetry of the Moorish period in Spain in particular was amazing. That tome was borrowed and never returned. To this day I mourn the loss, it has proven difficult to locate another copy. But something like this (along with a manifesto) would only drive home the message that gay culture has existed even before the "love that dare not speak its name" had a name. The sale of something like this could help finance the project.

If anyone is interested, some of my college professors were rather well-connected dykes that founded Kitchen Table Press (Audre Lorde and Myrna Bain, among them). I could always pitch the idea to KTP via Myrna.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 06:22 PM

Some additional coverage (though not in what might be called 'regular news' sources) that is trickling into view... apparently there are those who find the Foundation "politically mature." We also have this.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 10:35 PM
Site Admin

Rain wrote:
However, in view of the fact that anything substantial would require an obvious financial investment, I modestly propose a compilation of gay literary works spanning the breadth of written history. Nothing exhaustive , but a random sampling throughout the ages. [..] The sale of something like this could help finance the project.

This is an interesting and welcomed idea. The question is, of course, whom to charge with all the actual work. Wink I could help with digitalization (scan/OCR), but someone (not me) has to gather all those sources, at least a list of authors and titles and where to find them. If there is a serious interest to pursue this project, we can talk of the details via e-mail or start a new project page.

Publishing itself is not such a big trouble these days, even without much finances, but accomodation of the book with some well known publishing house would be of more effect, I guess.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 11:36 PM

Quote:

Some additional coverage (though not in what might be called 'regular news' sources) that is trickling into view... apparently there are those who find the Foundation "politically mature." We also have this.

Very interesting. Mind you, the author of the Spanish article is not himself a homosexual. Although the peculiar literary style employed in Spain makes them all sound quite gay to a Latin American reader. Almost like a Brit to an American.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 26, 2007 - 11:45 PM

vanrozenheim wrote:
If there is a serious interest to pursue this project, we can talk of the details via e-mail or start a new project page.

We could all submit ideas. I dare say this is a rather well-read and well-rounded group. However, I do draw the line at the French absurdists/existentialists.

While I like Camus and find his "The Plague" allegorical in view of HIV/AIDS, I still believe that existentialism diminishes the relevance of being gay.

Simone de Beauvoir be damned!

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
the peculiar literary style employed in Spain makes them all sound quite gay to a Latin American reader

It carries over into literary style also? Golly. Most of my Spanish lessons as a lad were in Castillian. When I neglect to correct my accent, I make Mexicans chuckle. Peruvians have been known to be overcome by uncontrollable fits of giggling. My Castillian accent is, apparently, very amusing, and very gay -- at least in this hemisphere.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Feral wrote:
My Castillian accent is, apparently, very amusing, and very gay -- at least in this hemisphere.

Sweetie, your 'murkan 'accent' (can be) very amusing and very gay, too. Wink Razz

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:00 AM

Why thankyou... but you're just saying that because I wish I had a stronger accent.

The 'amusing' I'll cop to. I'm just a freak of nature, I guess.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Well, I'm from New York...to us, you ALL have accents...LMAO!

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:19 PM
Site Admin

Very well, let's make the submissions to our Gay literary project.

Sugestions for everything concerning this project are highly welcomed, including the rules, categories, and so on. Enjoy! Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:29 PM

Some other late discoveries regarding the 19 July action:

Mr. Petrelis, as it happens, put the GHF press release up on Daily KOS, which was thoughtful of him. (The result was about what I would have expected from that site, which is unfortunate.)

Mr. Petrelis was also (indirectly) responsible for the event's appearance on this aggregator.

Amusingly, the popularity of Mr. Petrelis' blog seems also to have garnered the attention of the 'spam blogs' and notice of the event appeared on at least two of those aggregators as well. So the demonstration has graduated to the lofty rank of being interesting enough to warrant mechanized posting to puff up some spammer's web rankings.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2007 - 05:59 PM

CHILE: GAY RIGHTS GROUP PROTESTS RECENT EXECUTIONS IN IRAN

Quote:
(July 27, 2007) A samll group of gay rights activists gathered Thursday morning in front of the Iranian Embassy in Santiago to protest the recent execution in Iran of more than a dozen people accused of homosexuality and/or adultery.

The demonstration was organized by the Movement for Homosexual Integration and Freedom (MOVILH), Chile’s leading sexual minorities’ advocacy organization. Joining the delegation from MOVILH were representatives from the youth branches of the Party for Democracy and Radical Party. Several secondary school student leaders also took part in the protest.

“Using a loudspeaker, we told the neighbors that their same building houses representatives of a government that in our estimation is committing genocide against an important part of its population,” MOVILH leader Rolando Jiménez told the Santiago Times.

Rain
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Don't know if this is the thread to properly post this but here it goes...

Van, you mentioned something about rules for the Literary Project...I think everyone needs to weigh in on this. And I've made my first tentative submission (James Baldwin...Giovanni's Room, excerpt to follow). Also please check that thread for further information already received from a supporting writer.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2007 - 07:23 PM
Site Admin

Better post anything related to the literary project directly in that thread or into "Office". Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2007 - 07:29 AM

IRQO has, as it not infrequently does, released another statement.

Quote:
In its statement, the IRQO writes: “No matter where we are, it is up to all of us to raise our voices in protest against the savage acts committed by this regime and put pressure on international human rights organizations to stop this wave of violence and killing.”

There is, of course, no reason at all to refrain from mentioning Iran (or any other country) in the upcoming Global Gay Solidarity Day (4 August). Further, it is reason enough (as if one more were needed) for continued actions on 19 July next year, and every year thereafter... ideally, in every city on the planet. There is no reason at all to ever stop doing so.

Jump to: