Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: UK: gov't minister blasts BBC over homophobia  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 01:52 AM

BBC's attitude to homophobic language 'damages children'

Quote:
The decision by the Minister for Children to unequivocally criticise broadcasters' acceptance of homophobic language has delighted gay activists.

In a speech to an education conference today, minister Kevin Brennan, a former teacher, said that homophobic bullying and the use of words like 'gay' and 'poof' by Radio DJs and TV presenters are linked.

"Just as it took several years for racial equality laws to feed into real culture change where racist language became unacceptable – so now we need to achieve the same with homophobic language," he said. "Just one example is the casual use of homophobic language by mainstream radio DJs. This is too often seen as harmless banter instead of the offensive insult that it really represents.

"To ignore this problem is to collude in it. The blind eye to casual name-calling, looking the other way because it is the easy option, is simply intolerable."

The minister's strong statement directly contradicts the attitude of the BBC, who last year defended Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles for using the word 'gay' on his show to describe a mobile phone ringtone.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 05:17 AM

The minister's strong statement certainly does directly contradict the attitude of the BBC. Oddly enough, I just recently got done reading a great, thick, depressing report on homophobia and bullying in Britain's schools. Seems a good bit of this homophobia and bullying is coming directly from the teachers.

So, pray, what is the minister's view on homophobic bullying and the use of words like 'gay' and 'poof' by school teachers and administrators? Does he find that this, also, damages children? Or does he find that, as he has said elsewhere, there is no evidence that any requirements to end (or even report) such behavior are necessary?

berto
Post subject: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Unfortunately, when it comes to politics, few "children" and youth have much of a say. This is a BIG failing on the part of our community; we need to stand up for our kids.

Feral
Post subject: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 06:26 AM

*snort*

We'd have to stop planning them proms first.

Mind you, the munchkins don't always know what's best for them, and they are wrong about the proms. (Eeeeeew! I can hear my Mom saying "you'll thank me for this when you're older.") The kids have said quite clearly, over and over again (in fact, every single time anyone's bothered to ask them) that their number one desire is for someone to do something about the discrimination they face every day.

That 'someone' is hardly going to be the kids themselves... they're kids. A shocking amount of the time they know less about the legal avenues open to them than they do about sex. I suppose we could just carry on the way we have been, calling for more sensitivity training for students and more resources for teachers (whatever the fuck those are), and then sensitivity training for the teachers, and then more sensitivity training for the parents, and then sensitivity training for the principals and administrators, and then more resource (whatever the fuck those are) for the principals because, golly... it's ever so hard being a principal/teacher/parent/pupil/Gay kid these days.

Piff.

I bet the Harvey Milk School has a prom.

Kyleovision
Post subject: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
I bet the Harvey Milk School has a prom.

And I bet the band isn't lame.

Feral
Post subject: Re: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2007 - 04:42 PM

Kyleovision wrote:
And I bet the band isn't lame.

LOL Well, no. That would be unthinkable.

Rain
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2007 - 04:51 AM

Harvey Milk does not have a prom. LOL. It does, however, organize a prom for all gay teens in the NYC area with the Lesbian & Gay Community Center. And they don't have a band...they have a D.J.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Rain
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: UK: gov  PostPosted: Jul 10, 2007 - 04:52 AM

Somehow the image of a prim British Head Master calling one of his pupils a "poof" just made me shriek with laughter.

Each of us inevitable; Each of us limitless - each of us with his or her right upon the earth; Each of us allowed the eternal purports of the earth; Each of us here as divinely as any is here. ~ Walt Whitman

Jump to: