Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: L.A. GED Prep Program Celebrates Its First 'Graduation'  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2007 - 01:24 AM

L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center's Unique GED Preparation Program Celebrates Its First 'Graduation'

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, May 30, 2007—When Michael (last name withheld to protect his confidentiality), age 17, first came to the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Jeff Griffith Youth Center in September 2006, he was using drugs and living on the streets after having run away from a group foster home.

Today, thanks to the Center’s landmark new General Education Diploma (GED) Preparation Program, he holds the equivalent of a high school diploma and is now training through the Los Angeles Jobs Corps for a career as an X-ray technician.

The Center’s GED Preparation Program, launched in August 2006, is the first GED program in the nation designed specifically to meet the unique needs of homeless gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth—many of whom have fared poorly in typical classroom settings or feel oppressed in traditional educational environments.

“Instead, we offer at the Jeff Griffith Youth Center a learning environment that is structured to be much more comfortable and ‘home-like,’ where students can eat snacks and relax while they learn at their own pace,” says Simon Costello, manager of the youth center. “They also can work on their own or one-on-one with tutors, rather than participate in the sort of group classroom instruction that already failed them.”

I am at crossed purposes here. On one hand, this program is most sensible, entirely laudable, and an especially good thing for Michael and Rebecca. On the other hand, the program is unique, or so the LA Gay and Lesbian Center claims -- that is sad, pathetic, and enraging all at once. The program should not be unique, it must not be unique.

The Center will take your money. Oh yes, they will. Better still... dig up the Gay Community Center nearest you and cough up a cash-ball on them (and yammer at them about starting another program just like this one).

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject: RE: L.A. GED Prep Program Celebrates Its First  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2007 - 01:28 AM

I was *just* about to post this story, and say "we need a lot MORE of this kind of thing." But I see you have "scooped" me...

Feral
Post subject: RE: L.A. GED Prep Program Celebrates Its First  PostPosted: Jun 08, 2007 - 01:50 AM

Yah. Had the gay web monkey version did ya? Mine's the Center's own PR. Karate

Jump to: