Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: ‘Queer’ coincidence turns shopping center’s mascot into hit  PostPosted: May 29, 2007 - 12:06 PM

Quote:
(Kyoto) It’s green, hairy, bug-eyed and has limbs growing straight out of its face. But that hasn’t stopped shopping center icon “801-chan” from becoming a hit with fans of a sub-genre of gay manga, thanks to an odd coincidence.

801-chan, pronounced “Yaoi-chan,” is the mascot for the Misonobashi 801 shopping district, not far from Kyoto’s World Heritage Kamigamojinja shrine. And true to its roots, the character was inspired by Kyoto-grown vegetables.

But what really made the mascot an unexpected smash with young otaku geeks is the accident of its name. “Yaoi,” which was chosen by locals as a pun on the shopping center’s name, is also a slang term for a cult genre of manga comics on homosexual themes. The mascot has become a star among yaoi fans all over the nation. The boom has spawned a manga comic about the mascot, which has sold 100,000 copies already. And the shopping district has big plans to launch a special novelty store dedicated to the green monster.

[...]

But in February 2006, strange things began to happen. Suddenly Misonobashi 801’s Web site was getting 20,000 hits and over 100 e-mail messages a day. Shinji Asada, 49, who is in charge of managing the Web site, discovered blogs and videos starring 801-chan springing up all over the Internet. Akihiro Ikeda, 55, president of the trade association for the promotion of the shopping district, commented: “I think the name Yaoi, which happened to coincide with a special slang term that describes male characters in anime and manga falling in love with each other, sparked the interest. And our mascot’s unique strangeness caught on.

“Most of the shoppers who visited our area were oblivious to 801-chan,” he added. “We were kind of suspicious whether the popularity was actually there.” Then in the fall an 801-chan fan began running a comic strip on a blog and it became a hit. A publisher contacted the association seeking clearance to publish the manga comic in book form. The association was surprised but agreed, hoping the publicity would bring in business.

“Tonari no 801-chan” (801-chan next door) came out in December. The response was immediate.
The comic book became a runaway hit, selling more than 100,000 copies. According to Haruna Nakae at Ohzora Publishing Co., which handled the book, “It is extremely rare to see a book from a non-general genre sell this well.”

Well, it may well be a ‘queer’ coincidence, but it’s also decidedly strange. But then, I find many things about Japanese to be... inscrutable...

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: ‘Queer’ coincidence turns shopping center’s mascot into  PostPosted: May 30, 2007 - 01:12 AM

What I find strange (only slightly strange) is that the shopping district was completely oblivious to the homonyms of their mascot's name. In fact, I am reluctant to believe their assertions in this regard. While yaoi does not have anywhere near universal popularity, I would think one would have to be living under a rock to be completely unaware of the word. Homonyms are not rare in Japanese, and unfortunate (or fortunate) plays on pronunciation and even spelling are not unheard of.

I am, instead, going to credit the district with having a firm and masterful grasp on the art of marketing. After a few more months of polite dissembling, it would be advisable for them to admit that yes, their marketing department is really quite skilled and this was all deliberate and carefully planned. To do otherwise makes them look... well... like they've been living under a rock (and that's putting it as nicely as I can).

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: ‘Queer’ coincidence turns shopping c  PostPosted: May 30, 2007 - 10:16 AM
Site Admin

Feral, it's simply the Japanese tongue-in-cheek manner not to admit things which are obvious anyway. They are much more humorous than people usually assume. Wink

From an interview with 801-chan:

Quote:
[Kampai] Well, what do you think about tentacle sex?

[801-chan] Is it consensual?

[Kampai] I don’t think there is such a thing as consensual tentacle sex, so let’s just say non-consenual for now.

[801-chan] I am a strong believer in “no means no.” So I am going to have to say eh on the tentacle sex unless it is totally hot!

N.B. Once I complained to a Japanese friend about my overwheight -- the lady suggested (with absolutely serious face) that I "should make sport.. hai.. perhapts Sumo?" Mr. Green

Feral
Post subject: RE: ‘Queer’ coincidence turns shopping c  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 07:34 AM

I had suspected such might be the case. Wink

DesertJae
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Perhaps it was the sushi that the creator of the 'green hairy thing' with tentacals things ate that gave him such 'hot' inspiration ! Or could have been a flash back. Whatever it was, I think Feral has hit the ol nail on the head..great marketing. Not something I would find a turn on if not having a flash back but then what do I know about the sex appeal of 'a hariy green thing' with things sticking out from it's face..not one thang . However I can't knock it if I haven't tried it I suppose . From here I think I will check it out on the net ....who knows, perhaps I will find a new kind of 'hot' that turns me on.

{puffpuffpass}......

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 03:50 PM

YAY!

Its Jae!

DesertJae
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 10:02 PM

WHERE ?

OH sheeeeeiit, duck ! It could get messy in here!

[Wooooe there cowboy....]

Just a little dementia flash of sorts there for a moment. Let me start again.

HighYa..Tiz nice to read ya'll again Smile. Sorry I am so late in arriving...Bus missed the exit on the freeway so it took a rather long route to get here. Think it swirved to miss one of those hairy green thangs with the tentacals but all's that matters is that no one was hurt and we made it here safe and sound..well safe at least.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hi, Jae! It's good ta see you here. Smile

*smoochies*

DesertJae
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 01, 2007 - 05:37 AM

....and the same back to you berto my ol friend. I have you and Feral to thank for helping me find my way back again . I do need such assistance as it does get very foggy where I am,..or perhaps that should be 'wherever' I happen to be, at times.

Tentacle power to those with limbs growing from their faces Crussaiding !!

Jump to: