Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Gay Candidate Denies Blogs Forced Him From Race  PostPosted: May 31, 2007 - 11:11 AM

Rather, he says it was pressure from other Democrats that made him back out

Quote:
Jeff Dion said it wasn't the bloggers' vicious personal attacks about his "gay lifestyle" that made him end his campaign for a Prince William County seat in the Virginia House of Delegates but practical politics.

"I heard from key supporters and party leaders who I know and respect, and they suggested that it would be best for me and the party and the hopes of winning the seat to bow out," said Dion, a Democrat from Lake Ridge. "Ultimately, I would much rather us win than for me to stay in the race on a matter of principle and lose."

Dion, who is openly gay, announced Friday that he was quitting the race, saying that party leaders told him that he could have trouble winning the House seat in the 51st District, which includes part of Prince William. The incumbent, Del. Michelle B. McQuigg (R), is stepping down to run for clerk of the circuit court.

Dion declined to identify the Democratic leaders, but party officials said Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and former governor Mark R. Warner urged Dion to withdraw and support another Democrat, Paul Nichols, who practices family law. Dion posted face-saving comments by Kaine and Warner on his Web site as part of his withdrawal announcement.

Matt Felan, a Kaine spokesman, said: "The governor makes a lot of political calls. He has no comment on calls he made politically to Jeff or others."

Warner did not return a phone call. Del. Brian J. Moran (D-Alexandria) said he talked to Dion last week but did not ask him to drop out. "The concern expressed to him, by me, was he had lost the recent board of supervisors race," Moran said, referring to a special election in the fall for a seat on the Prince William Board of County Supervisors. "Our conversation had more to do with how we could win the district."

Mind you, he sounds like sort of a numbskull -- he had left his gay.com profile active and on-line. Has he no brains at all?! This is Virginia ferfuxake!

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: