Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
Post subject: Homophobic teen sentenced to work with queers  PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 07:29 PM

... and apparently it taught him something...

Quote:
Brighton's hate crime unit ordered a homophobic teenager to spend a day working as an intern at the offices of gay magazine 3SIXTY as part of the reparation order. The boy had been part of a group who rounded on a gay A-level teacher, attacked in Dukes Mound, Brighton in the early hours of a Sunday morning.

[...]

Sussex Police and the community safety team were inspired by similar projects in San Francisco, where anti-gay criminals were required to work for gay organisations as part of their sentence.

David Harvey, co-owner of 3SIXTY, said: "They rang us in October and said, can this person come and spend a day with you? My initial reaction was, I am not sure if I want somebody who perpetrated a hate crime to be sitting next to me in my environment."

Harvey and the staff of 3SIXTY debated the issue for two weeks before they came to a unanimous decision thatagreed to the programme - and now says he would do it again.

He said: "If we can change somebody's prejudiced view about us by admitting them into our environment, that has to be a good thing."

The teen was asked to research and find articles on the Net which covered homophobic crimes. Editor, Torsten Hojer said that the team hoped the boy would see the futility, and frequency of the type of crime he'd perpetrated.

Surly at first, the teen perked up when asked to write an article about a gay person in the public eye. He chose to pen a piece about the pop star Ian 'H' Watkins who'd 'outed' himself ahead of entering the Big Brother house. It seems the task enthused the boy who stayed oversaw the page layout.

Following his internship, the boy asked his probation officer if he could write to Craig to apologise for his crime.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: Homophobic teen sentenced to work with queers  PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Quote:
Brighton's hate crime unit ordered a homophobic teenager to spend a day working as an intern at the offices of gay magazine 3SIXTY as part of the reparation order.

I would not be too quick to rule out the efficacy to the remaining 'parts' to the consequences of this unnamed youth's acts (acts which were sufficiently brutal that I cannot detail them in private conversation at home because they would vex sensitive people).

Perhaps 3SIXTY is to be commended for their participation in this bizarre experiment. For myself, I would have nothing to do with such schemes. This youth has demonstrated himself to be a real physical danger to others. He should not be allowed to roam at will.

berto
Post subject: RE: Homophobic teen sentenced to work with queers  PostPosted: May 18, 2007 - 08:17 PM

Quote:
they would vex sensitive people

More sensitive than you?

Feral
Post subject: RE: Homophobic teen sentenced to work with queers  PostPosted: May 19, 2007 - 05:27 AM

Wink Oh yes. While this youngster's crime was vicious and brutal, it has been outdone in barbarity any number of times. There are aspects to his crime that cannot be mentioned in my house because they would unduly vex the audience. Me, not so much, but everyone else that speaks English. (His Highness Prince Pussy Pussy Pussy Kitty Sweetie would, I predict, be nonplussed... seeing as how he consistently denies any knowledge of English.)

Jump to: