Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2007 - 10:50 PM

Earth Times

Quote:
LAS VEGAS, April 16 Roseanne Barr called in sick for a weekend appearance at a gay Las Vegas nightclub on the heels of saying gay activists are only concerned about themselves.

The comic-talk show host was scheduled to appear at Krave on Saturday, but nightclub host Larry Edwards said Barr canceled via a message through her co-star and drag queen Jackie Beat because she wasn't feeling well, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2007 - 04:18 AM

'berto wrote:
Okay. I can live with that apology, especially considering her past support.

I'd like it better if she focused more on her wrong-headed remarks and less upon the perception that she caused offence. It's not that gays (some of them anyway) were offended that she should apologize for, as if it were our fault for being offended. Oh no... it's that she was (on this occasion) "a big idiot with a big mouth" (as she so tartly phrases it).

This she also did, so done is done, apology accepted. She admits she was in error, as she surely was. I should know -- I've been howling into the wind for years trying to get gays to do this very thing she claimed they already do -- pay more attention to their own needs because the straight people will never supply them (nor ought they). I am quite certain that other people's non-gay problems are at least the top 7 of the top 10 concerns on most gay people's minds.

As for her invitation -- no.

Quote:
"everybody needs to unite right now, and step outside of their own neighborhoods, groups, races and classes to stop Bush's war on our country and our people."

This uniting thing always sounds just peachy, just a faabulous, wonderful idea. Who couldn't love a battle to stop Bush's war on "our country and our people"? Funny how it never quite gets around to uniting to be on the side of the gays. Never once. Funny how it never gets around to being about my country and my people. I'm more than welcome to side with the straight people when it comes to what they need, but they just can't be bothered to side with my people on any occasion.

I question the reasonableness of squawking after what is surely less than 5% of the population. If the 95% is so very incompetent that they require the unity of the 5% to accomplish their aims, there is something very fishy going on. Whatever could I suspect it could be? Imagine that... I have a thought.

Methinks Ms Democratic Shill wants the homos to shut up about their icky homo issues so that the Democrats can frame the upcoming election around "Democracy and Economic Justice" as opposed to equal rights for third class gay citizens, as opposed to some measure of physical security for third class gay kids, as opposed to the absurd war on the mere mention of our existence in books. They don't want the Republicans to be able to use such things as "wedge issues" because they know that probably half of the Democrats actually side with the Republicans on these points. They don't actually want our support because they cannot possibly believe they need our support. There are not enough of us and there are too many of them for that to even be credible.

What she wants is for us to shut up, and I have no inclination to do so.

Of course, I can be very quiet for some time if I get my 500 beds for homeless gay teens in every city with a population over a million. I could get even quieter if I get a separate residential school for 200 gay kids in each congressional district. The fewer issues I have to deal with the more time I'll have for Ms Barr's concerns.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Roseanne: 'I'm just a big idiot with a big mouth'

Quote:
Comedian Roseanne opened up her radio show Tuesday night for gay fans to "let me have it" after saying the day before that gays were too self absorbed.

[...]

After the remarks were met Tuesday by a rebuke from LGBT rights groups, Roseanne posted an apology on her personal blog. "I deeply regret that I have offended gay people," she wrote. "I said things that I do not really mean, before I had thought them through... I was wrong and I seriously apologize!"

She went on to write that she really meant to say that "everybody needs to unite right now, and step outside of their own neighborhoods, groups, races and classes to stop Bush's war on our country and our people.

"I love gays and I hate division. I am just a big idiot with a big mouth sometimes. I will learn to be more careful! Please forgive me, I am so sorry!!!!

[...]

But the comic is urging gays to unite with other minority groups for a common front. "The leaders of gay groups need to align with the leaders of Acorn, and other groups of poor and desperate Americans and fight against those who oppress all of us! I have met too many gays who are Republicans, and I cannot understand how they could choose that!

"Let's all leave our own bedrooms, kitchens, neighborhoods and groups and meet each other to form a diverse army that stands for Democracy and Economic Justice."

Okay. I can live with that apology, especially considering her past support.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 12:26 AM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
Trust me... gays and lesbians say plenty about issues that do not affect them.

Oh, that's for sure. I would even go as far as to say that most politically active gays do not talk of gay issues at all -- they often even do not disclose that they are gay. Most certainly Ms. Barr did hear a gay person talk about a plentitude of issues -- but Ms. Barr didn't care that the person was gay. It's only when somebody is talking of gay interests the lady became aware of someone being gay -- thus the misunderstanding.

There are so many gay individuals doing unpaid work for any imaginable cause, except for a gay one. Most gays are not self-centered, they are mislead by political Sirenes like Ms. Barr to some actionism which is far away from their true interests.

We need more, not less gays talking about gay interests.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2007 - 10:22 PM

Quote:
"Never once in my 54 years have I ever once heard a gay or lesbian person who's politically active say one thing about anything that was not about them," Roseanne said.

"They don't care about minimum wage, they don't care about any other group other than their own self because you know, some people say being gay and lesbian is a totally narcissistic thing and sometimes I wonder."

The minimum wage is not the best talking point for this particular criticism. The restaurant I currently work for does not employ anyone in the kitchen at the minimum wage. The restaurant I worked for previously did not do so either, nor the restaurant before that, or the restaurant before that. Thinking back, the last time I witnessed a kitchen employee (in any capacity) being paid nothing more than the state-mandated minimum wage was 17 years ago. Now, the Democrats are touting a proposed bill that would raise the minimum to $7.25 an hour. I don't think this increase would affect even the dishwashers where I work. Indeed, if you proposed lowering their pay to this level, you might incite more than a little activism on their part.

You want my support for such a thing? No. I'll be wanting something in return. Give me support for a federally mandated (and paid for) shelter for gay teens with 50 beds in every city with a population over 50,000. Give me support for 500 beds in every city with a population over 1,000,000. I'll gladly sign on to your minimum wage issues if you'll sign on to my gay homelessness issues. I'd be happier if the Democrats weren't angling for a pathetic $7.25 -- $12 sounds a whole lot more like a living wage to me. You want my support for some other issue? Not a problem. I have plenty to ask in trade.

Anyway, here's what passes for a gay or lesbian person saying one thing on minimum wage:

Quote:
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Groups representing the poor and union workers rallied on the Statehouse steps Tuesday in support of legislation that would boost the paychecks of an estimated 350,000 Alabamians by raising the minimum wage in the state to $7.25 per hour.

The legislation's sponsor, Rep. Patricia Todd, D-Birmingham, said Congress hasn't raised the national minimum wage of $5.15 an hour in 10 years, and it's time for the Alabama Legislature to "give the working people a long-deserved raise."

The bolding is mine. Should it have slipped anyone's attention, Ms Todd's election was somewhat newsworthy -- seems she's a lesbian. Perhaps this might count as the first time in 54 years Ms Barr has noticed such a phenomenon. I'd have to chalk that up more to a lack of paying attention than anything else. Trust me... gays and lesbians say plenty about issues that do not affect them.

berto
Post subject: Roseanne Barr: gays are too self-centred  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Peripherally related to the Don Imus story, because

Quote:
Roseanne's comments came amid the growing calls for the firing of shock jock Don Imus for racist comments he made about the Rutgers University women's basketball team. Imus show is also broadcast on KCAA.

Roseanne Barr displays her ignorance:

Quote:
Comedian Roseanne has come under fire for saying gays are too self absorbed.

The remarks were made on KCAA radio in San Bernardino where Roseanne is a regular guest host and came during an interview with Black lesbian activist Jasmye Cannick.

"Never once in my 54 years have I ever once heard a gay or lesbian person who's politically active say one thing about anything that was not about them," Roseanne said. 

"They don't care about minimum wage, they don't care about any other group other than their own self because you know, some people say being gay and lesbian is a totally narcissistic thing and sometimes I wonder."

She then went on to say: "I've never heard any of them say anything except for 'accept me cause I'm gay.' It's just, it's screwed. It's no different than the evangelicals, it's the same mindset. They want you to accept Jesus and you guys want us to all believe it's ok to be gay. And a lot of us, a lot of them, I do, I don't give a damn who anybody has sex with, as long as they're not underage and an animal. I don't give a damn, it's none of my damn business. I'm just sick of all the divisiveness, it's not getting any of us anywhere."

Spoken like a real Democratic Party shill. Not only is she ill-informed and just plain wrong, her assertion is offensive at hell. I hope Cannick ripped her a new one.

And as for: "I don't give a damn who anybody has sex with, as long as they're not underage and an animal" -- well, considering some of Roseanne's former husbands, I guess she's the expert on having sex with animals, I gotta give her that.

Jump to: