Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject: I may be away for a while  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 02:44 AM

My otherwise faithful computer has been having some fan problems today. Clearly, I seem to have managed to remedy the situation satisfactorily (for the moment, anyway). The poor, much abused machine has been of the view that this fan issue is much more urgent than I think it reasonably ought to be (after all, the weather is quite mild -- cold even). The machine has been on strike.

Thus far, the machine has been mollified by the management's kind words and especially by the management's famed ability to be "a good listener."

Alas, this is about all I can offer my striking computer, so should it again become surly, It will be several days before I can assemble a mediation team to come in with their screwdrivers and spare parts. With luck, it shall not come to that.

After all, I said really very flattering and kind things... It required some imagination on my part as well, considering we're discussing a Windows machine.

Reply with quote Back to top
vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: I may be away for a while  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 02:34 PM
Site Admin

I will pray to Denneny for your machine every evening! Smile

Feral
Post subject: RE: I may be away for a while  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 07:01 PM

LOL

Many thanks!

So far my flattery is working coupled with dire threats of turning my electrician brother loose upon the beast.

(We shall not discuss the secret negotiations that have been going on behind closed doors. In fact, I can confidently say that there have been no secret debates involving words like "Apple" or "Linux." And if there have been mentions of these words, it was only in passing and purely hypothetical -- a rhetorical device, if you will -- not that there have been any secret debates where these rhetorical devices would have been employed.)

In truth, the difficulty seems to be nothing more arcane than a fan and my brother seems to think that his vast and awesome array of screwdrivers and evil looking contraptions with lights and wires and strange clips are more than a match for the situation.

Meanwhile, the flattery and kind words seem to be working. The prayers to Denneny will surely be helpful as well. The threats of vile tortures look promising should flattery suddenly fail. I was meaning to purchase a second computer in any case.

(It's amazing how little work gets accomplished on computers with Internet access. Have you noticed this? Very, very little. It's a sad state of affairs when you must consider buying a computer which is not to be connected to the Internet so that you might get something done. I think it must reflect badly on my character, but there you have it.)

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 - 08:28 PM

Quote:
(It's amazing how little work gets accomplished on computers with Internet access. Have you noticed this? Very, very little. It's a sad state of affairs when you must consider buying a computer which is not to be connected to the Internet so that you might get something done. I think it must reflect badly on my character, but there you have it.)

LOL! Sad, but true. Even if one IS mostly reading, and not replying. Embarassed

Jump to: