Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
berto
22 Post subject: Studies, studies, and more studies  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2006 - 10:14 PM

I could'a told them that WITHOUT a study

Quote:
A new report by a leading gay men's health group says scientific research shows that much of gay men's risky sex and drug use is fueled by high levels of depression and related disorders, such as anxiety and dysthymia, a type of mild chronic depression.

The report, titled "Living on the Edge: Gay Men, Depression and Risk-Taking" was released Friday by the Medius Institute for Gay Men's Health, a gay men's health advocacy group in New York City.

In one key study of gay men's mental health cited by the report, more than 17 percent of participants had active symptoms of depression -- about twice the rate of current depression in general.

Other studies indicate that the lifetime risk of depression is roughly three times higher for gay men.

[...]

[Spencer Cox, executive director of the Medius Institute and author of the report, said] "For the most part depression doesn't seem to cause high-risk behavior directly, but it certainly 'pumps up the volume' on risk-taking,"... "And risky behavior may increase the likelihood of depression." Cox pointed to methamphetamine use, which is associated with depression, and which can cause long-term changes in the brain that lead to depression.

Cox added, "For gay men, depression seems to play a central role in health, similar to obesity for Americans in general. Just as overweight people have increased risks of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and other serious illnesses, gay men with depression and related disorders are at increased risk for a host of bad things."

Ummm.... what's next? Are they going to "discover" that the high rates of alcohol and drug abuse among gay men are also due to depression? Geee, I wonder just what is CAUSING all this friggin' "depression" anyhow? Could it maybe be the relentless homophobia that most gay men face? Rolling Eyes

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject: RE: Study: gay high-risk behaviour linked to depression  PostPosted: Sep 17, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Perhaps the professional advocates should sponsor another study?

I like studies. I do. There is very little in this world that is quite so satisfying as a new factoid.

We have had enough of meaningless factoids. Why are we expending effort confirming with studies what has been common wisdom for decades?

For what it's worth on this issue, one of the more sensible theories of depression is that it is a conditioned response to the perception of helplessness. The effect has (to the dismay of animal rights activists everywhere) been confirmed through laboratory trials. The extinction of conditioned responses is fairly straight-forward work -- it is neither difficult nor particularly interesting. The only pitfall I can see in this particular endeavor is the word "perception."

There is a difference between "helplessness" and a "perception of helplessness." Power is most assuredly the cure for a lack of power, but no amount of power can cure a 'perception' of a lack of power.

Blaming this situation on homophobia is comforting, but misleading. We have more than enough culpability of our own. We need to love each other better. We need to support each other better. We need to be more unilaterally on our own side better. We need to stop being helpless individuals within a greater str8 milieu and start being active participants in our own gay milieu.

Where are our gay families, our gay neighbors? Where are our gay fraternal organizations, our charities, our Mutual Protection Societies? Where is our government?

To the extent that we participate in our own culture, we have all of these things and more. To the extent that we participate in a delusion that we are a part of str8 society, we have none of them -- only the homophobia that str8 society has in place of those institutions.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Study: gay high-risk behaviour linked to depression  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2006 - 01:00 AM
Site Admin

The most certain way to get depressions is to desperately seek love and recognition from people, who are neither willing nor able to give them. Means, trying become an "usefull and accepted member of (straight) society" is a helpless endeavour - it's in vain.

Much better our folks finally learn to love their own race and start live as a true people - sticking together and enjoying the life. But, instead of preaching these obvious solution for our problems, our friends from the press are serving us such rubbish:

Quote:
I hate being gay
This Washington State teen faces a daily battle between the sexual attraction he feels for other men and his religious convictions that tell him being gay is against God’s word.

By Kyle Rice

An Advocate.com exclusive posted September 15, 2006

In late July the Washington State supreme court upheld a law that limits marriage to heterosexual couples. As a gay 19-year-old in Longview, Wash., my delight with that ruling is probably surprising. However, I’m not your average gay person—I'm also a Christian who views living a gay lifestyle as against God's word.

And because of my religious beliefs, I hate the fact that I am gay.

About the time I was 12 years old, it became clear to me that I was sexually attracted to guys. I assumed these feelings would go away as I got older. People choose to be gay, right? I didn’t choose this, so I figured it would pass. But it didn’t. By age 15 I had my first boyfriend.

At about that time I started to attend a Pentecostal church. I began reading the Bible, including its many different and powerful passages condemning homosexual activity. I knew in my heart that being gay was wrong in God’s eyes. I decided to devote myself to living a God-filled life and knew I needed to stop being gay so that I could stop being attracted to guys.

I looked into "ex-gay" ministries and joined such a program offered by a local church. It has taught me that with God’s help I can change my desires. A friend of mine went through another church’s program, and he's changed. He’s now happy and in love with his girlfriend. I pray the same will happen to me someday.

In the meantime I focus on fighting efforts to force the "gay agenda" on those of us who know God does not accept homosexuality. Although I do not condone discrimination, I also do not support gay marriage laws or many of the other issues backed by gay rights groups. I am a proud conservative Republican, and I support political candidates who feel the same way I do.

Many people ask me how I can be gay and also be a Republican and a Pentecostal Christian. My answer is that I am so much more than my sexuality. I don’t vote solely on pet gay issues. My faith and love of God is not guided by one small piece of who I am—a piece of me that I am trying very hard to change.

Being a gay Christian is at times very hard to deal with. Some days I feel as if I’m at war with myself. But I know God would not approve of me acting on my gay feelings, and I have no right to question his directive. I know that in the end I will be happy I lived my life according to God’s standards the best that I could.

That means refusing to accept being gay.
http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid36462.asp

Feral
Post subject: RE: Study: gay high-risk behaviour linked to depression  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Many people ask me how I can be gay and also be a Republican and a Pentecostal Christian. My answer is that I am so much more than my sexuality. I don’t vote solely on pet gay issues. My faith and love of God is not guided by one small piece of who I am—a piece of me that I am trying very hard to change.

You will hear this often ... much too often.

It would be better if this young man had never had his head filled with such nonsense. I can excuse him somewhat -- he is only 19 and I seriously question his ability to assess the scope and significance of anything, let alone his sexuality. "One small piece" he says. Is is smaller than his mitral valve, do you suppose? I do not wonder that he from time to time feels as if he is at war with himself -- he is. This "one small piece" is not so very small. It is connected to everything.

I cannot imagine what possessed the Advocate to print such a thing.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Study: gay high-risk behaviour linked to depression  PostPosted: Sep 18, 2006 - 06:49 PM
Site Admin

The boy will most assuredly learn his lessons -- this world is full of people who will "help" him onto the right track. What is much worse, are all the grown-up homosexual gentlemen who support such attitudes in the community, often combatting any efforts for gay liberation more fiercefully than their oppressors.

The "I am much more than only gay" attitude is pretty wide-spread, suggesting between the lines that people adressing gay issues are one-dimensional.

Feral
5 Post subject: Many men who have sex with men deny being gay  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Many men who have sex with men deny being gay

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A substantial percentage of men who have homosexual sex still consider themselves "straight," a survey of New York City men suggests.

The findings imply that doctors should not rely on a man's self-described sexual orientation in assessing his risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, researchers report in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Instead, they should ask patients specific questions about their sexual behavior, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Preeti Pathela of the New York City health department.

The findings are based on a 2003 health department survey that included 4,193 men age 18 and up. Respondents were asked about their sexual behavior and their sexual orientation.

Almost 4 percent said they were homosexual, while 91 percent described themselves as "straight." The rest said they were bisexual, "unsure," or declined to answer.

But of men who considered themselves heterosexual, nearly 10 percent had had sex with a man, but no woman, in the past year, Pathela's team found. And of the 337 survey respondents who'd had sex with another man, almost 73 percent identified themselves as straight.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2006 - 08:59 PM

A PDF of the actual study, Discordance between Sexual Behavior and Self-Reported Sexual Identity: A Population-Based Survey of New York City Men, can be had here. The study was published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, 19 September 2006, Volume 145, Issue 6, which has a fine discussion of it here.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Debunking The Down Low...Again

Quote:
"Nearly 10 percent of New York men who say they're straight are having sex with other men, city health officials found in a first-ever study of the 'down-low' phenomenon here." That's the way the New York Daily News reported the results of a new study this week. The study was cited as further evidence that black women are in great danger of HIV infection because of men on the down low.

After reviewing this so-called "down low study," however, it's pretty clear the media got it all wrong. Again. The media suggest that this study somehow proves the threat of the down low. Actually, it proves nothing of the sort.

Mr. Boykin's reading of this not particularly complex study is correct, and he is rightly annoyed at the irresponsible rubbish that is now being printed about it.

Feral
Post subject: Gay closet doors open wide, research finds  PostPosted: Oct 17, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Gay closet doors open wide, research finds

Quote:
"The closet door is really opening. That's especially true in the Midwest," says Gates, author of a fascinating study based on the newly released 2005 American Community Survey -- a sort of mini-Census -- and the National Survey of Family Growth, both conducted by the federal government.

Overall, the number of same-sex couples identifying themselves to the government soared 30 percent in five short years -- to 776,943. To put that in perspective, the U.S. population grew 6 percent in that period.

The biggest jumps in self-reporting by gay couples were largely in America's heartland: Take for example, Wisconsin, which surged 81 percent in the number of same-sex couples living together; Ohio 62 percent; and Michigan 48 percent.

While more gay folks may be settling down into committed relationships, the biggest factor driving the increases, Gates bets, is that more gay couples are comfortably out.

Should you wish to read Mr. Gate's work (and why wouldn't you?), you can find it here, along with other studies of interest.

Quote:
The release of new data from the American Community Survey (ACS) offers the first opportunity since Census 2000 to update our knowledge of same-sex couples in the United States. This report assesses changes in the geographic characteristics of same-sex couples and estimates the size of the gay, lesbian, and bisexual population in states, large metropolitan areas, and all Congressional Districts (109th Congress). Analyses reveal that the number of same-sex couples in the U.S. grew by more than 30 percent to almost 777,000. The largest percentage increases occurred throughout the Midwest, an area that had relatively low rates of same-sex couples in Census 2000. Six of the eight states with a 2006 ballot initiative that would ban same-sex marriage experienced increases in the number of same-sex couples in excess of the national rate of 30 percent. The ACS data also reveal that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people are found in all Congressional Districts in the U.S.

Or you can just download the PDF right now.

Now remember, kids -- never play with demographic data without supervision. You might hurt yourself.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: RE: Gay closet doors open wide, research finds  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 07:56 PM
Site Admin

Interesting study. It shows at least that there is much difference in life conditions of gays in District 8, California (16.6% gay) and District 2, Missisipi (1.4% gay). Guess where gays are living more fulfilling lifes...

One of the assumptions of the study, however, might be wrong: the distribution of gay couples over the US is not necessarily corresponding with the distribution of gay individuals. The study itselfe says that in the past five years the number of reported couples has dramatically increased while the number of gays probably remained more or less the same - what if some regions are simply more behind in time than others?

The number of 4.1% identifying as "gay, lesbian or bisexual" appears questionable as well to me. If we would take away all the bisexuals from this number, there would be probably no gays left at all.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 10:30 PM

The problem of bisexuals in demographic data is tricky. Many of the misrepresentations of Alfred Kinsey's work suggest that the number of bisexuals is very high. Aficionados of Sigmund Freud are fond of claiming that everyone is bisexual. Marketing studies of the LGB community rarely ever find that bisexuals make up more than 2% of OUR population. If this is accurate (and there is no real reason to believe that it is), then gays and lesbians make up 4% of the general population. The question of just how many bisexuals there are remains unanswered, largely because it remains unasked.

The figure of 4.1% seems reasonable to me, considering the figure represents how many LGB people will say they are LGB on a questionnaire, not how many there actually are. I have never been a fan of the artificial geometry inherent in the 10% claim, though some studies of high school students suggest it may be close to the mark. I have always preferred the more conservative figure of 6%. It would not surprise me at all if as much as 30% of gays and lesbians in the United States were unwilling to say so in response to a government survey. As I recall from some recent news stories, only 83% of gays in an online poll considered themselves "out" and only 78% claimed to be out to their parents. If 22% of gays won't tell their parents, it is not great leap to accept that 30% will not tell a government survey, particularly when you add in the inevitable population of unhappy souls who would not tell anyone.

Regardless of what percentage of the population is GLB, there is always the error of applying a national statistic to a local population. You cannot say that 4.1% of town I live in is GLB, or that 4.1% of the state I live in is GLB, even if it is true that 4.1% of the country I live in is GLB. Worse, you certainly cannot claim that 4.1% of the workers in this or that shop or the students in some particular school are GLB.

Mr. Grant's study is particularly valuable in correcting this error, if only people will pay attention to it. Naturally one region will differ from another in terms of its gay population. California's District 8 is the area surrounding San Fransisco and gays have been flocking there in droves from all areas of the country for decades. Mississippi's District 2 is different from San Fransisco in just about every way imaginable. I would not be surprised if gays moved away from this place in large numbers. I also wouldn't be surprised if large numbers of gays there declined to identify themselves in surveys.

vanrozenheim
Post subject: Gay Asians hesitant to 'come out' in NZ  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2006 - 08:55 PM
Site Admin

Gay Asians hesitant to 'come out' in NZ

Quote:

Asian lesbian, gays and bisexuals (LGBs) in New Zealand are more likely to keep their sexuality a secret compared with Westerners , a Massey University study says.

Senior social work lecturer Mark Henrickson said his findings reinforced the notion that the idea of having an LGB identity was a highly westernised, European concept.

Health and social workers needed to be aware of the Asian attitude, the study said.

[...]

The study found that while Asian-born immigrants were aware of having same-sex attractions at an earlier age, they were less likely to tell friends, family or colleagues as they grew older.

Only 3 per cent of non-Asian respondents said they hadn't disclosed their identity to anyone, compared with 15.3 per cent of Asian people.

[...]

He said an Asian person's identity stemmed more strongly from family ties and marriage, rather than individual expressions of identity.

"Whereas people from western cultures are more likely to be open and positive about the fact that they are lesbian, gay or bisexual - 'it's me, it's my major identity, who I am' - Asians regardless of sexual orientation, regard their identity as linked to who their parents are, who they are married to," Dr Henrickson said.

Can it be that Dr Henrickson cofuses the fears to come out for the lack of gay identity? I have my doubts that his findings that "people from western cultures are more likely to be open and positive about the fact that they are lesbian, gay or bisexual" is to be attributed to the Western cultures. Rather, the longer experience of democracy and technological revolution in certain countries made gay people less dependent from their straight families.

Feral
Post subject: RE: Gay Asians hesitant to  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2006 - 12:42 AM

Mr. Henrickson's findings do not contradict the theory that having an LGB identity is a highly westernised, European concept. I would not go so far as to say they actually support the notion. Certainly there are sociological differences between Europe and Asia. The role of the family in the lives of individuals is among the more marked differences. One need only glance through an approximate translation of the manifesto of the 1996 Chinese Tongzhi Conference to tell that.

Mr. Henrickson surely did find that the proportion of Asian-born immigrants which did not disclose their gay identity to anyone was nearly five times the proportion of similarly closeted non-Asians. However, 84.7% of the gay Asians in his study DID disclose their identity. This is not an insubstantial number.

I cannot help but wonder what the figures for people of European descent would have been if this study had been conducted in some western country 20 years ago. Even certain very recent studies in western cities contain very similar figures. Data such as this reveal challenging problems for "social and community workers, especially in the area of sexual health education, Aids awareness and prevention." As Mr. Henrickson points out, "No social worker should assume that their client is heterosexual, or exclusively heterosexually active."

If a gay identity is a western concept, then just who are these Tongzhi, why do they insist that they have existed for a very long time, and why are they meeting and writing manifestos?

Last edited by Feral on Apr 07, 2007 - 07:38 PM; edited 1 time in total

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2007 - 06:07 AM

Oh look -- it's another study.

Gay Students 3 Times More Likely To Be Bullied

Quote:
(Boston, Massachusetts) In what is described as the broadest study of bullying and sexual orientation to date, lesbian and gay adolescents were three to four times more likely to report having been bullied than heterosexual teens.

The study, conducted by researchers at the Children's Hospital Boston Division of Adolescent Medicine, also found that bisexual adolescents and those identifying as "mostly heterosexual" were twice as likely to be bullied.

"It's clear that sexual minority youth are a population vulnerable to bullying," researcher Elise Berlan, MD said on Friday.

"This needs to be addressed, particularly in schools."

Cool... and it tells me something I already know.

Quote:
Berlan and Austin said they hope to conduct a more detailed follow-up study to better understand how bullying affects health outcomes.

I am just agog.

Feral
Post subject: Studies, studies, and more studies  PostPosted: Apr 07, 2007 - 07:26 PM

CSUF study says gays more likely than straights to be left-handed

Quote:
So says Richard Lippa, a veteran Cal State Fullerton psychologist who has been poring over the sex, gender and behavioral data contained in a BBC Internet survey that involved more than 200,000 people. The "Beeb" used the data as part of its highly praised 2005 documentary "Secrets of the Sexes." And it comes amid growing efforts by scientists to examine everything from the length of a person's fingers to hair patterns for signs of sexual orientation.

Lippa, who helped craft the BBC survey, says the data shows that:

1. More gay men (13 percent) than heterosexual men (11) and more lesbians (11) than heterosexual women (10 percent) reported being left-handed.

2. More bisexual men (12 percent) than gay or heterosexual men (8 percent) describe themselves as ambidextrous, and more bisexual women (16 percent) than lesbians (12 percent) and heterosexual women (8 percent) reported "mixed hand preferences."

About the only thing surprising in this particular study is the mildness of it's results. Of course gays are more likely to be left-handed than heterosexuals -- I've seen this in day to day life for decades. I'm wondering where the researchers dug up all these right-handed 'mos though. I'm pretty sure I can't name more than five gay acquaintances who are right-handed.

As far as what possible meaning the study (and related ones mentioned in the news article) might have -- genetics, specifically the complicated mechanisms that govern asymmetry in the body.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2007 - 11:17 PM

I came upon this quotation in a New York Times piece entitled, Pas de Deux of Sexuality Is Written in the Genes. The story is otherwise an entirely readable article on the current state of neurological research regarding orientation.

Quote:
Presumably the masculinization of the brain shapes some neural circuit that makes women desirable. If so, this circuitry is wired differently in gay men. In experiments in which subjects are shown photographs of desirable men or women, straight men are aroused by women, gay men by men.

You have got to be kidding me. Someone went to the trouble to conduct experiments in this? As it happens, what would appear to be an exercise in idiocy turned up something that I, at least, would not have expected.

Quote:
Such experiments do not show the same clear divide with women. Whether women describe themselves as straight or lesbian, “Their sexual arousal seems to be relatively indiscriminate — they get aroused by both male and female images,” Dr. Bailey said. “I’m not even sure females have a sexual orientation. But they have sexual preferences. Women are very picky, and most choose to have sex with men.”

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 12:52 AM
Site Admin

Muwhahaha! And prostitutes get aroused by money, or what?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 03:59 AM

What's this... you allege that prostitutes are PAID, and with MONEY?

Surely this anecdotal claim must be PROVEN through rigorous scientific evaluation. Perhaps the prostitutes in Köln receive currency for their labor, but what clinical evidence is there that those in München do as well? And surely there are IMPORTANT cultural differences. I mean, who are we to allege that prostitutes in Montréal get paid, or that prostitutes in Los Angeles get paid?

Alert the academics -- there are surveys and studies and experiments to conduct! They will no doubt wish to apply for government grants to fund these inquiries... lots and lots of grants. After all, experiments must be reproducible before they can be considered conclusive. Why, it could take decades to even begin supporting this claim that prostitutes have any connection at all with money.

Muwhahaha!

Nice work, if you can get it. Wink

Incidentaly, this Bailey fellow (the New York Times chooses to call him an "expert on sexual orientation at Northwestern University") is more than a little controversial.

vanrozenheim
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 - 04:32 PM
Site Admin

Feral wrote:
Nice work, if you can get it. Wink

Well, I would consult some friends for an advice in getting grants from the European Commission... We could apply for scientific examination of the relation between prostitutes and money, with particular attention being paid .. *ghasp* .. to regional developements in urban communities, focussing on juvenile sex workers and their specific needs. Who says it's not a study worthy of experimental research? Show an increasing amount of [government] money to the lad and measure his arousal, then... OK, this definitely goes too far. Twisted Evil

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 - 11:48 PM

Gay bullying turns teens off education

Quote:
Gay and lesbian people in New Zealand who come out openly in their teens are more likely to opt out of higher education because of school bullying, says a new study.

Lower educational achievement over the course of their whole lives was the likely long-term impact on teens bullied as a result of coming out as gay or lesbian, says Dr Mark Henrickson, author of the study.
In the survey, which 2269 people responded to, a multi-disciplinary team of researchers deliberately focussed on developing a more general profile of New Zealand’s lesbian and gay sector by asking questions about identity and self-definition, family, immigration, politics, work, income and spending, leisure, community connections, religion and spirituality.

The two studies, one on educational attainment and gay sexual identity and another on bullying and educational attainment, found that gay and lesbian people with higher qualifications tended to come out about their sexuality later in life. The result surprised Dr Henrickson.

I am perplexed by this surprise. This result seems quite obvious and self-evident to me. Most of the core research team in this project are members of the community being studied, and I would have imagined that this result would not only appear self-evident to them, it would have been readily predicted. I guess I imagined incorrectly.

This particular study has the sovereign benefit of being readily accessible. The paper, along with a number of other documents can be read here. The research touched upon a host of other subjects (many of which are handled by separate papers.

Jump to: