Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Thought not. Wink

Men are really very simple creatures. Getting them to part with their money is also not such a difficult proposition... once you've decided that it is their money that you want, and not some illusion about "respectable business." Illusions can be fostered quite easily too... but it almost always involves spending money, not making money.

Never underestimate the power of go-go boys. I know of only one weapon in the gay capitalist's arsenal that is more potent -- naked go-go boys. Even the prospect of the chance of such things is profitable. A G-string that looks like it might break is better than one that looks secure. A G-string that does occasionally break is better than one that threatens to at any moment. A G-string that is attached by nothing more pernicious than velcro is best of all... you don't have to wait for a chance "wardrobe failure".

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 - 03:30 PM

What is "HELL NO!", Alex....

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 - 03:13 PM

I ask you sir -- is there something, anything, that cannot be sold, or better-sold, with a handsome pair of pecs, a six-pack, and a bottle of baby oil?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Quote:
Did you not? Razz

I wuz being facetious. Wink

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 - 07:53 AM

'berto wrote:
Why, I *never* expected to read such a suggestion coming from YOU, Fer... Wink Razz

Did you not? Razz

I am not acquainted with the state of the law these days, but in my day in Chicago it was well known (even common knowledge) that while the 'blue laws' in Illinois strictly limited the extent to which a stripper could become "undressed," the laws in Wisconsin did not. A great deal of casual tourism derived from that difference in laws -- a situation similar to that which pertains in southeastern Michigan and the city of Windsor as well (last I checked in).

It would be downright foolish for a danceclub to eschew go-go boys under these circumstances. It would be similarly foolish for a danceclub to fail to take advantage of the legal limits to such performances.

The methods of filling a room with cover-charge-paying gay boys are well known. I'm really not kidding.

Kyleovision wrote:
A small quibble: I think in this case, what they're seeing is the oncoming edge of assimilation, as opposed to the state of integration. Integration may or may not be a stepping stone to ineluctable assimilation.

I'm not sure what is being seen here. For now I shall charitably assume that the persons quoted in the article know what they're talking about. This is, of course, not the wisest assumption to make, and charity is not the most prudent of motivations for doing so... but there you have it.

Surely something is going on in Madison. My recollection of the place is that it is a veritable center of Midwestern gay culture (such as it is). Not the epicenter by any means, but a center. Most of the gay newspapers I read in college came from Madison. Most of the gay activist events I participated in back then were in Madison.

'berto wrote:
Quote:
As an example, added Mortensen, "when the (marriage amendment) vote went through, everyone felt defeated. But there wasn't a hub where people could gather the next day to talk about it."

I can completely understand this; often in times of real crisis, or a large set-back in the community (such as when the Republicans "won" the presidential election in 2004) I don't even want to SEE a straight person for awhile, let alone talk to one.

This is entirely understandable. What shocks me is the idea that there was no place for the gay community to gather. In Madison? How can that be? Oh yes... something happened there. It's really not like Madison doesn't have a gay community center. They do. So just why is it that someone might claim that "The LGBT community doesn't have a place to call home"? After all, OutReach Inc. provides "great program services to the community".

Or maybe they don't and just claim that they do.

Something is definitely going on in Madison. I can't claim to know what though. It's a good thing that someone there has seen it and is attempting to address it.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Quote:

Integration is not such a good thing for the gay community... it can be taken much too far.

A small quibble: I think in this case, what they're seeing is the oncoming edge of assimilation, as opposed to the state of integration. Integration may or may not be a stepping stone to ineluctable assimilation.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
As an example, added Mortensen, "when the (marriage amendment) vote went through, everyone felt defeated. But there wasn't a hub where people could gather the next day to talk about it."

I can completely understand this; often in times of real crisis, or a large set-back in the community (such as when the Republicans "won" the presidential election in 2004) I don't even want to SEE a straight person for awhile, let alone talk to one.

Quote:
I recommend go-go boys.

Oh... and foam parties.

Why, I *never* expected to read such a suggestion coming from YOU, Fer... Wink Razz

Feral
Post subject: Wisconsin -- dance club moving from dream to reality  PostPosted: Apr 04, 2007 - 04:36 AM

East side gay dance club moving from dream to reality

Quote:
East side gay dance club moving from dream to reality

A dance club geared toward the gay community is set to open on the east side of the isthmus by the end of this year at the latest, according to its four Madison business collaborators.

The idea and impetus for Out Nightclub came out of a real need in the city, not only for a dance club but for a "focal point" in the local gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, said the 48-year-old DeWall, auto parts manager by day and "avid dancer" by night.

"The LGBT community doesn't have a place to call home," he said recently in an interview, adding, "Most of the (clubs) out there are outdated, or the service leaves something to be desired. The places in Madison that call themselves dance clubs are really pseudo dance clubs."

Mortensen, 28, envisions a club with an "urban industrial feel and a classier feel, too," where a Saturday house DJ and guest DJs would spin a nightly mix of "a little bit of everything."

But she doesn't shy away from marketing it first and foremost as a place for gay people to gather, for dancing and for "finding pride."

DeWall and Mortensen agreed in a recent interview that Madison's lesbian and gay community is so integrated into the general population that there's no central area, like the "gay ghettos" of other cities.

"It's somehow set the gay community back," DeWall said.

DeWall wants to make the two-story space available to nonprofits during the day, but the building can only pay its bills with a nightclub that "works" and keeps up with trends in bigger cities, he said.

The emphasis is mine. Being charitable and assuming the persons quoted in the article have a clue about what they're talking about, this is both a welcome move and a sad state of affairs. It's not like Madison, Wisconsin doesn't have gay bars or a community center. They've had them for some time.

The building WILL have to pay it's bills. I recommend go-go boys.

Oh... and foam parties.

Integration is not such a good thing for the gay community... it can be taken much too far.

Jump to: