Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Well, gossip claims that there was a reason for the original deletion.

Quote:
I work at MySpace and this is total crap. We have many openly gay employees (we're a block from WeHo), News Corp employees (i.e. Rupert) almost never even step in the office, they have no control of the site content, yadda yadda yadda. No one has been kicked off for their beliefs (there is a site mocking all religion in a fairly untasteful manner and an I Hate George Bush discussion group that is in the Top 10). In fact I checked this out and they were removed because they used an AUTOMATED messaging tool for sending messages out. The servers here register these programs as spam, and if you do it often enough you'll get booted. In the Term & Conditions of the site, it openly says that you cannot send messages or friend requests via an automated tool or you will be booted.

For a number of reasons, I do not buy this explanation at all. Foremost among them is that deletions of this sort (the homophobic sort) appear to be outrageously common on MySpace. It is really quite a simple matter to find someone who is gay that has had their MySpace profile deleted and received only a vague, multiple-choice e-mail in explanation. It doesn't even take a Google search (though I have little doubt that such a search would turn up hundreds and hundreds -- and this of only people who had taken to complaining about the practice in other venues). Second (and more tellingly), I have noticed of late the appearance of seemingly paid shills -- both for corporations and political parties. They have become common enough that I am frankly surprised that we have not had them here. Their distinctive line of patter is about as difficult to sense as that used by the subtler form of homophobic troll (the kind that can manage to type a few posts before using some epithet in all caps).

Mind you, it's entirely possible that Kids on TV WERE using an automated messaging tool to send messages out. Presumably this alleged tool was messaging people on the band's list of "friends." Otherwise, it couldn't have been a very good automaton -- I've never received spam messages of any kind from a band on MySpace. I've never received messages of any kind from a political candidate, political party, or enthusiastic volunteer for either of these. In fact, the only spam messages I've ever gotten on MySpace come from profiles with presumptively heterosexual females with very poor taste in pick-up lines. I've gotten a lot of those... enough that it seems they do it with impunity.

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Has MySpace suddenly got a problem 'coz they found out the Kids are queer? Is MySpace unappreciative of their music? Was it a software glitch? (Yeah, right!) Who's to know, 'coz MySpace ain't saying. Heyyyyy, waitaminnit... doesn't that mother-of-all-evil-and-Faux-News-too, Rupert Murdoch, own MySpace? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Feral
Post subject: Kids on TV vs MySpace  PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 12:14 PM

As noted on GRD, the Toronto Star is reporting that MySpace took down the Kids on TV MySpace page.

Quote:
"It's like an electric shock to find it's gone."

On March 1, on the eve of the band's six-week European tour, the Kids on TV MySpace page, which was up and running smoothly for two years, was taken down – just like that, out of nowhere.

"We got an email telling us it was gone," Kerr says. "We lost contact with everyone ... we were cut off from 14,000 friends. We had no way of contacting people we were doing business with. It was all gone."

Now, Qweerty is saying the same thing (possibly because they've read the Star, and possibly because they came upon it independently). I've also found that this story has been knocking about on European papers for over a week.

The thing is, when I dashed off to the page in question (they're among my favored bands these days, so you know I know their MySpace page), it was not gone... it was there, and looking as faabulous as ever.

The kids did (as reported by Queerty) set up a protest page, and this is what I found posted on it by Kids on TV yesterday:

Quote:
Myspace has restored the deleted Kids on TV account. This comment is from that account. We have never heard of this happening to anyone. Has anyone heard of this? We haven't received any communication from them. We still don't know why it was deleted originally so we don't know what we should remove from the site to make it acceptable to them. Over time we are going to try and consolidate all the Kids on TV pages so there is only one place to go (not the censorship one of course).

We are totally mytified about this. Obviously the stink we ALL raised TOGETHER caused this to happen. Now the question, what will it take to get the pages of the other artist/activists back? We're going to continue to raise this issue of course and promote the censorship page. We are absolutely dedicated to the development of a community forum to discuss how to handle content censorship on myspace. We want dialog between users on myspace and myspace staff on this issue to make the situation better. Until that time, please post your ideas on what they could do to change policy.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this fight. It's not over!

Jump to: