Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Wockner:

Quote:
Andy Humm wasn't placated by Keillor's "disingenuous ... semi-apology" either.

"I like apologies better when people recognize the damage they have done instead of throwing in all kinds of qualifiers like 'I was just trying to be funny and you're too dim to appreciate it,' as he basically does," Humm said in an interview.

For those who were aware that a solitary protester picketed Keillor's live radio show on March 17 -- that was Andy Humm.

Reply with quote Back to top
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2007 - 03:42 AM

Savage (who more or less started this fracas) on Keillor's apology:

Quote:
A reporter asked me this weekend if I was satisfied with Keillor’s apology.

Satisfied? Sure, I’m satisfied. Does that mean the column Keillor wrote wasn’t bigoted and offensive? No and no. And his apology is merely satisfactory. Below average, as apologies go.

The final irony, perhaps, is that Keillor didn’t apologize for the column itself. He didn’t apologize for what he said. He apologized for the “misunderstanding.” It’s typical of the politicians Keillor likes to mock: Apologize if someone took offense, not for the offense you gave.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 10:24 PM

Quote:

LBJ would never have sent federal troops into Little Rock...

Quibble: LBJ sent the troops (and nationalized the state National Guard) to integrate the University of Alabama. Little Rock, Arkansas' Central High (and the 101st Airborne) was Eisenhower's show.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Quote:
"I think that gay marriage is also an issue that does no good for us and I want to see us divest ourselves of this" Keillor says. "The symbolism of gay people marrying is terribly potent, terrible powerful, and we ignore this at our peril in our party.

Yes, the symbolism of gay people marrying IS terribly potent and powerful (though that is a mind-boggling redundancy). Yes, the power of this symbolism is ignored at peril... by everyone. It is always perilous to ignore powerful symbols.

True, one can certainly argue that, as an issue, the Democratic Party stands little to gain from supporting this notion that "people" does not mean "straight people."

Mr. Keillor's comments are quite ordinary, quite mundane, quite common, and quite bigoted. He has a lot of company.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 02:55 PM

So, as for his "apology", all well and fine then, right? Well, unless you take into account some earlier "pearls of wisdom" from Keillor:

Quote:
I ask Keillor if there any other positions Democrats should jettison.

"I think that gay marriage is also an issue that does no good for us and I want to see us divest ourselves of this" Keillor says. "The symbolism of gay people marrying is terribly potent, terrible powerful, and we ignore this at our peril in our party.

"I think that gay marriage/union/benefits must be a state and city matter. Gays have tended to migrate from hostile places to friendlier places -- San Francisco, New York, New Orleans -- and this migration has been a boon to the friendlier places. Gay-friendly areas are the richer for it, in all sorts of ways. Tolerance has economic and cultural benefits. And so we can allow Missouri or South Carolina or South Dakota to be hostile to gay marriage and suffer the consequences.

"A recent survey by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a black-oriented research think tank, showed that Bush's African-American support is at 18 percent, up 9 percentage points from the Center's 2000 poll. One of the prime reasons given for that increase in support is our current President¹s belief that marriage "is between a man and a woman." Chew on that while you consider the fact that since Bush took office, African American unemployment has risen 28 percent, reversing Clinton-era prosperity, when it declined by nearly 50 percent.

"Personally, I¹m all for gay marriage. In fact, I¹m all for straight marriage, too. Yet, I wouldn¹t sacrifice economic justice on either alter."

So, in other words, because some African-Americans don't like "gay marriage" (but not Garrison, of course, he's "all for it"), and because it is not seen as politically expedient for the Democrats, then Party trumps principles and all those queers who live in Kansas or Wyoming better just move to somewhere like San Francisco or New York, 'coz we're not going to fight for their rights.

As a reader commented at Dan Savage's site,

Quote:
Yeah, Garrison, I would love to see you say the same thing about black folks! "Yeah, African Americans should just move to cities that want to give them rights, and let the places that want to LYNCH them be allowed to carry on with their time-honored traditions... it'll be their loss in the long run."

THAT is the argument he makes on gay civil rights, people.

and

Quote:
... what Keillor has been saying is that gays should just shut up (= forget about pursuing civil rights) because gay marriage won't play in the midwest, and it'll hurt the party's chances. That is what he has said. The 'shouldn't trump economic fairness' BS? -- he's covering his ass, because he knows damned well that what he's saying is bigoted.

He wouldn't dream of saying that any racial group that was protesting against discriminatory laws should just shut up.

I tend to agree. Using Keillor's reasoning, LBJ would never have sent federal troops into Little Rock, he would have just told those brave young boys and girls to smarten up and move north, to Chicago, or Detroit...

Want some more advice from Keillor on queer civil rights? Well, here he is from 2005.

Like several other readers, I call bullshit, and I'm not very impressed with his "explanation". (Mind you, I've never been all that impressed with Keillor to start with.)

PS: an interesting tidbit posted by "F":

Quote:
A friend told me that she thinks the article was written as a tantrum after a gay barista at Starbucks failed to recognize Keillor as the literary celebrity that he thinks he is.

Speculation, to be sure, but....

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 01:22 PM

No, 'coz that would require the original material to actually be funny.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Better back-tracking than Hillary and Obama, to be sure. Though, he does write for a living, so one might be excused for expecting him to be articulate.

To wit, this bit:

Quote:

The column was done tongue-in-cheek, always a risky thing, and was meant to be funny, another risky thing these days....

Do *my* meds want adjusting, or did he just call us a bunch of humorless twits?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Re: the 'comments' section of this link:

"You Know It¹s Time to Adjust Your MedsŠŠwhen Larry Kramer has a cooler

head than you do."....

*ugh* Reading comments from most so-called "liberals" in the States (even queer ones) always gives me *such* a headache. Good gawd -- if that's "Liberal" no wonder they think Canada is verging on communist. If Canada didn't exist, I fear I would have to flee to Europe...

Feral
Post subject: Re: Garrison Keillor  PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Feral wrote:
My prediction... an immediate mea culpa (within 24 hours) with the excuse that it was all SATIRE, and how very much Mr. Keillor regrets the misunderstanding.

So I was wrong. It wasn't anywhere near 24 hours. I thought more highly of Mr. Keillor than I ought to have. Still....

Quote:
Ordinarily I don't like to use this space to talk about my newspaper column but the most recent column aroused such angry reactions that I thought I should reply. The column was done tongue-in-cheek, always a risky thing, and was meant to be funny, another risky thing these days, and two sentences about gay people lit a fire in some readers and sent them racing to their computers to fire off some jagged e-mails. That's okay. But the underlying cause of the trouble is rather simple.

I live in a small world — the world of entertainment, musicians, writers — in which gayness is as common as having brown eyes. Ever since I was in college, gay men and women have been friends, associates, heroes, adversaries, and in that small world, we talk openly and we kid each other and think nothing of it. But in the larger world, gayness is controversial. In almost every state, gay marriage would be voted down if put on a ballot. Gay men and women have been targeted by the right wing as a hot-button issue. And so gay people out in the larger world feel besieged to some degree. In the small world I live in, they feel accepted and cherished as individuals, but in the larger world they may feel like Types. My column spoke as we would speak in my small world and it was read by people in the larger world and thus the misunderstanding. And for that, I am sorry. Gay people who set out to be parents can be just as good parents as anybody else, and they know that, and so do I.

Fair enough. It wasn't two sentences though.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2007 - 05:01 AM

You Know It’s Time to Adjust Your Meds……when Larry Kramer has a cooler head than you do.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 10:44 PM

feministing

Quote:
Nothing like those bigoted midwest values.

iblamethepatriarchy

Quote:
I allude to remarks tendered by Keillor in a recent essay published in Salon, wherein he lets loose, in a mocking tone, a string of gay stereotypes that, if I had hair, would’ve curled it. Surely you’ve seen it by now? It’s the one where Keillor, a sexist asshole and serial mack-daddy of some renown, makes himself ridiculous as a shill for heterosexual monogamy, on the grounds that it protects innocent children from the horrors of “hyphenated” — i.e. step — relatives, and from pairs of “sardonic,” “flamboyant,” campy-performer-worshipin’, chartreuse-pants-wearin’ “daddies.”

queerty

Quote:
Yes, Keillor's statements are offensive, lewd and terribly backward, but we have to say we're not that surprised. He is a man born in Minnesota in 1942 - do you really expect him to be the most progressive person in history? No.

Do we expect an apology? Yeah, we do - not because we think he should apologize (which we do), but because that's what people in this situation do. He's famous and, we're sure, has a publicist who will release some sort of statement. Will we believe it? Absolutely not. Do we hope Keillor's learned his lesson? Certainly. Do we think he's learned his lesson? Well, you know that saying about an old dog... Let's take this one out to pasture and move on with our lives, huh?

MoJo (Mother Jones) Blog

Quote:
Keillor is just vomiting up his own homophobic impressions.

Write Salon and ask why they're giving bigotry a platform.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Quote:

Hey, the "satire" excuses are already being trundled out in his "defence"...

And Poggovio doesn't find it offensive at all; what a surprise.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Ah, Google.

Mr. Keillor is performing March 24th at Town Hall in New York City.

Kerrie L. Smith
Director of Publicity
212-997-1003 ext. 13
ksmith@the-townhall-nyc.org

and at New Jersey Performing Arts Center Newark, NJ on April 1st.

Administrative Office:
One Center Street
Newark, NJ 07102
973-642-8989

or,

Box Office and Customer Service:
36 Park Place
Newark, NJ 07102
888-GO-NJPAC
ticketservices@njpac.org

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Well, he IS a comedian (after a fashion). So too is Michael Richards. I even suspect that Ms Coulter intended her latest fandango to be "amusing."

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hey, the "satire" excuses are already being trundled out in his "defence"...

Feral
Post subject: Garrison Keillor  PostPosted: Mar 15, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Towleroad -- Garrison Keillor: A Bigot's Home Companion:

Quote:
Garrison Keillor longs for the good old days in this essay on what children need in Salon. You know, the days when the world wasn't bothered by all these non-monogamous, flamboyant homosexuals that want to raise children.

Dan Savage -- Fuck Garrison Keillor:

Quote:
Oh. My. God.

Where to start? How about that one sentence that somehow manages to pack in six flaming stereotypes about gay men—fussy hair, small dogs, over-decorated apartments, and on and on. Yes, Garrison, all of us gay men—particularly us gay parents!—are decadent, flamboyant creatures. Sure, having kids means puke on your chartreuse trousers and candy ground into your expensive sofa—but, hey, those are small prices to pay if it means getting to show off your chartreuse pants at PTA meetings!

What an asshole. Asshole, asshole, asshole. What Keillor wrote today on Salon is every bit as offensive as Ann Coulter’s “faggot” joke about John Edwards and relies on the same set of cultural prejudices.

AOL's TMZ.com (which tags it with "Train Wrecks, Wacky and Weird, Celebrity Feuds") -- Garrison Keillor: A Prairie Homophobic Companion?:

Quote:
Taking a page from the Ann Coulter Handbook, alleged humorist and "A Prairie Home Companion" radio host Garrison Keillor has made some queer comments about homosexuals and gay parents.

In an article titled "Stating the Obvious" in salon.com, the Minnesota author wrote, "The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men -- sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts." Apparently, Keillor's research consisted entirely of watching a Netflix copy of "The Birdcage" and reruns of "Queer Eye."

I'd link to the Salon piece that's causing all the furor, but there's little need. You'll find it. Try Technorati, or Google news search (the blogs would be... fruitful as well). It seems it's everywhere.

Gawker -- Remainders: Garrison Keillor Hates The Gays

Eleventh Avenue South -- I'm on the Beach, Garrison Keillor is a Bigot

Avoiding the Muse -- Garrison Keillor can EFF OFF!

Says Functional Ambivalent:

Quote:
Dan Savage, offended by Keillor's recitation of gay stereotypes, replies in a piece with the pithy title, "Fuck Garrison Keillor":

Quote:
What an asshole. Asshole, asshole, asshole. What Keillor wrote today on Salon is every bit as offensive as Ann Coulter’s “faggot” joke about John Edwards and relies on the same set of cultural prejudices.

Which is all true, of course. It'll be interesting to see if Keillor, beloved by people claiming to be liberal, pays a price for his obvious bigotry. Stay tuned.

Yup. It's all true, of course... despite the fact that Dan Savage said it. He's not in the least bit alone it appears. It WILL be interesting to see how this plays.

My prediction... an immediate mea culpa (within 24 hours) with the excuse that it was all SATIRE, and how very much Mr. Keillor regrets the misunderstanding.

Jump to: