Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 17, 2007 - 03:31 PM

Quote:
Am I still in High School? Lately, the real world has been letting me down on the promises it made to me during that time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again -- Everything they told you when you were in high school was a lie. It's more complicated than that, of course. When you're about 40, everything they told you in high school (if you can remember it) turns out to be at least partly true to some extent, or an understandable and forgivable deception.

It remains a fact though that high school (and to a lesser extent, university) is a grotesquely artificial culture. Once you leave it for what is so quaintly termed "the real world," a great deal of what existed in high school simply evaporates.

Homophobia is not one of those things.

Quote:
A pandemic of hateful homophobic remarks has been spreading among people of influence lately.

Pardon me for being contrary, but... where do you live -- under a rock? There is no pandemic of hateful homophobic remarks "lately." There's been a most curious backlash against them recently, but homophobic statements are a staple of heterosexual culture and have been for a very long time.

Quote:
Let's keep it up! If you feel the same way I do, please write to Senator Clinton and support the Human Rights Campaign.

Surely this is an example of "a touch of satire, wit and lots of sass." I'm going to have to interpret it as outright sarcasm. In any event... NO, I shall not be corresponding with the senator, and I have no plans of supporting the Human Rights Campaign. There are better and more productive things to do with my time.

Oh, and not sarcastically at all -- everything they told you in high school was a lie -- except for that part about forming plurals with apostrophes... that was very true.

Reply with quote Back to top
Kyleovision
Post subject: High-School Nation  PostPosted: Mar 17, 2007 - 01:36 AM

Blogcritics:

Quote:
Am I still in High School? Lately, the real world has been letting me down on the promises it made to me during that time. Maturity, equality, and civility — all things classically absent from the high school experience — have begun to elude me in the real world. I was told to expect a harsh, cutthroat reality upon graduation, but I was also told that the world of adults would be free of the slander, bullying, and pure, hateful judgment adorning the halls of high schools, more noticeable than dusty trophy cases.

A pandemic of hateful homophobic remarks has been spreading among people of influence lately. Like a swarm of killer bees, those who wish to inject comments of ignorance and prejudice into the media have been doing so overwhelmingly since the beginning of the year, each comment more painful a sting than the one preceding it.

[...]

The reaction of American culture to the spread of hate speech has been promising, though, take my word for it, the words themselves still hurt.

[...]

Although those who feel prejudice towards the GLBT community have somehow recently been given public platforms to voice their hate, the collective American backlash has been there to defend the equal rights and safety of all it's people.

Decent piece, right up till the end where the author says, 'so let's all support Hillary and HRC.'

Pal, c'mon, how the hell do you get there, given where you started?

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: