Google

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Advertisements
Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Huh. This is interesting.

Editor Explains Why Paper Dropped Coulter Column

Quote:
NEW YORK At least one newspaper has canceled Ann Coulter's column after she implied that Democratic politician John Edwards is a "faggot."

The daily Lancaster (Pa.) New Era, in a note to readers, said it "halted publication of Ann Coulter's syndicated column following her crude characterization of presidential candidate John Edwards as a homosexual at a public appearance on Friday. Coulter's use of name-calling, sarcasm, and overstatement in her columns too often detracts from the arguments she seeks to make. ...

"Lancaster County residents of whatever political view -- conservative, moderate, or liberal -- deserve intelligent discussion of issues. Ann Coulter no longer provides that."

New Era Editor Ernie Schreiber expanded on those comments when reached early this afternoon. He told E&P that Coulter "was hurting our credibility. Our community is largely conservative and Republican. They expect insightful discussion of issues. Ann Coulter wasn't giving us that. We have lots of conservative columnists who do -- Cal Thomas, Jonah Goldberg, Robert Novak, Michelle Malkin, among others."

Schreiber said of Coulter: "I can't defend her antics, and I don't want the New Era associated with them."

This paper, this "New Era" ... is by no stretch of the imagination a "liberal" paper. You see, the 'other' paper in town is for the "righty-tighties." This 'other' paper never carried Ms Coulter's column. The New Era would be the one that caters to what some might call "right-wing crazies."

Reply with quote Back to top
berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 08:50 PM

lol Mr. Green With her, it's more liable to be a trailer park than a car wash, no? Razz

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 05:11 PM

When she takes her name off her Florida car wash, I'm going to need to be sedated, lest I hurt myself laughing.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 01:00 PM

Quote:
The word I used has nothing to do with sexual preference.

What's this "sexual preference" stuff? The term is sexual orientation, as in, I didn't "prefer" to be gay, I was born this way.

Quote:
It is a schoolyard taunt.

Sorta like "strung-out, cadaverous bitch" would be, huh?

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 06:39 AM

Kyleovision wrote:
It's early yet. I'll be interested to see if this is still "bubbling" a week from now.

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Coulter: Faggot "isn't offensive to gays" -- It's just a "schoolyard taunt."

Quote:
See, to her, this is just the "same people becoming hysterical" and she thinks that the lesson young right wingers "ought to draw is that it's not that scary to attack liberals." Yeah, fag jokes are so funny -- really attack them.

It's all a joke. And, we need to know is that Coulter now speaks for gays and lesbians across America. Verbatim quotes:

Quote:
The word I used has nothing to do with sexual preference. It is a schoolyard taunt.

And:

Quote:
It isn't offensive to gays. It has nothing to do with gays.

Whoa, now.

As a point of fact, the word "faggot" has a great deal to do with gays and is starkly offensive. On this Ms Coulter is entirely mistaken.

...Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Companies to pull ads from Coulter's Web site

Quote:
(CNN) -- At least three major companies want their ads pulled from Ann Coulter's Web site, following customer complaints about the right-wing commentator referring to Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards as a "faggot."

Verizon, Sallie Mae and Georgia-based NetBank each said they didn't know their ads were on AnnCoulter.com until they received the complaints.

"Per our policy, the networked Web site ad purchases are supposed to be stripped of certain kinds of Web sites," said a Verizon spokesperson. "This one could be considered an extreme political Web site, should be off the list, and now it is off the list."

A Sallie Mae spokesperson said the company was only testing an online advertising agency, and that their ads were not meant to show up on Coulter's site. The company said they planned to pull ads from other political and religious Web sites as well.

A spokesperson for NetBank said Coulter's page "is not the kind of site we want to be on."

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 03:23 AM

Sad. Pathetic.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 02:04 AM

Mr. 'I'm Not There Yet' makes a THIRD attempt at outrage:

Quote:
[Today in Berkeley,] Edwards said Coulter's comment was "hateful, selfish, childish behavior."

"What I've learned is that if you don't have the courage to speak out against it -- no matter who says it, and no matter who it's leveled at -- then it becomes tolerable," he added. "And it's not tolerable, any more than the language I heard leveled at African Americans when I was young."

Notice how he hasn't surrounded himself with gay people for any of these pronouncements of displeasure. Am I cynical to think that, HAD similar epithets actually been directed at black folks, a passel of guys from the NAACP and Urban League would be on the podium?

Where are your queers, John-boy?

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 - 12:44 AM

Over at Americablog, John Aravosis opines:

Quote:
Interesting that the story is still bubbling. It took the media a while to actually see the story as news. Why? First, because they think Coulter is a joke, and she is. But she's a joke who was recently on the cover of TIME, who gets paid tens of thousands of dollars a speech, has written several best-sellers, and was the most anticipated speaker at the biggest and most important conservative conference of the year. What she says is bs, but it matters. And it's not the job of the media to decide that Ann Coulter shouldn't be getting this much attention - she is a darling of the conservative movement, represents the values of many core conservative activists, including the religious right, and thus you simply cannot avoid reporting on her excesses as they reflect on the entire party.

I think, Berts, that your idea (expressed elsewhere) that the 'backlash' has not been as great over this as it was for Hardaway or Isaiah Washington because Coulter's white may prove to be a misapprehension.

It's early yet. I'll be interested to see if this is still "bubbling" a week from now.

I mean, at least we know that no gay bloggers are likely to let her off the hook with some half-baked notion of 'post-traumatic slave syndrome,' right?

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 09:11 PM

Quote:
Tut, tut. Last time I tested the waters the Dem 'mos all had the pop-poms out for Hillary. A not inappreciable amount of them are leading the cheers for Obama.

Like I said... stupid fags.

Quote:
What matters is what's in the best interest of the Clintons and the Democrats.

But of course, mon cher... we are, after all, mere pawns in The Great Game...

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Clinton Wants 'Partnership' With Gays

Quote:
(Washington) Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton told the nation's leading gay rights group in an unpublicized speech that she wants a partnership with gays if elected president.

Clinton also said she opposes the "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding gays in the military that was instituted during her husband's presidency.

"I am proud to stand by your side," Clinton said in a keynote speech Friday to the Human Rights Campaign. Neither Clinton's campaign nor her Senate office made any announcement that she would be making the Friday address.

I would be inclined to immediately opine "so proud that she publicized the speech." I would... but it would be unreasonable.

Quote:
Clinton aides said no announcement was made because the group's gathering is traditionally closed to the press. Video of the speech was posted on the group's Web site.

Smith said such annual board meetings have always been closed to the press, but it was the first time he could remember that a speech at such a meeting had been made public afterward.

"There's no contradiction," he said. "The event is always closed to the press and we wanted to make (the remarks) available for people to see."

Continuing in this 'fit' of "reasonableness," I cannot help but point out that HRC has not, at this writing, posted video of the speech on its web site. They DO link to video that they have posted elsewhere... on YouTube. More than one or two videos have been put on YouTube by hrcmedia.

Andrew Sullivan was unimpressed (though really, would anyone expect him to be?) He is wrong to think that "HRC kept it very hush-hush, which is weird, defensive, suspicious" -- posting video of a speech given at a meeting traditionally closed to the press is hardly "hush-hush." This error hardly undercuts Mr. Sullivan's chief point though; to my eye it rather underscores it:

Quote:
But the speech is significant in one respect, it seems to me. HRC, the organization, is now fully integrated into HRC, the campaign. It is the Clinton campaign. Clinton calls HRC's executive director, Joe Solmonese a "colleague." She talks of a future "relationship" with HRC in a Clinton administration: "You will have an open door to the White House". Among HRC's victories, she cites the 2006 election turn-out campaign ... for the Democrats.

To her credit, she forthrightly backs gay adoption. And she backs ENDA and hate crimes. But no mention of marriage. She's against it. She also makes no commitment to passing ENDA (the Employment Non-Discrimination Act) or hate-crimes laws in the current Congress. That's also significant. I have a feeling that they've run the numbers (that's what HRC does when it's not fund-raising for the Dems), figure that employment discrimination could actually be the first gay wedge issue to work against Republicans, and are going to hold off to use it in the presidential campaign. What matters is what's in the best interest of the Clintons and the Democrats.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 06:57 PM

'berto wrote:
"Ahhh, who cares? As long as it sounds good, and gulls enough of the fags into voting for me."

And it will probably work quite well.

Tut, tut. Last time I tested the waters the Dem 'mos all had the pop-poms out for Hillary. A not inappreciable amount of them are leading the cheers for Obama. If Mr. Edwards is doing this as a calculated attempt to peel off some of that support, then it is (in my view) a supremely ill-conceived plan. It's ill-conceived in that it has very little credible chance of success. Time will tell if it will "work quite well" ... I don't think it's going to work at all. He's just "not there yet."

Of course, Obama is "not ready for that." Ms Clinton is still "evolving."

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 05:02 PM

Several conservative bloggers do damage control with simultaneous posting of An Open Letter:

Quote:
Ann Coulter used to serve the movement well.... But Coulter’s fearlessness has become an addiction to shock value. She draws attention to herself, rather than placing the spotlight on conservative ideas.

[...]

Coulter’s vicious word choice tells the world she care little about the feelings of a large group that often feels marginalized and despised. Her word choice forces conservatives to waste time defending themselves against charges of homophobia rather than advancing conservative ideas.

[...]

Denouncing Coulter is not enough. After her “raghead” remark in 2006 she took some heat. Yet she did not grow and learn. We should have been more forceful. This year she used a gay slur. What is next? If Senator Barack Obama is the de facto Democratic Presidential nominee next year will Coulter feel free to use a racial slur? How does that help conservatism?

[...]

How can we teach young conservatives to fight for their principles with civility and respect when Ann Coulter is allowed to address the conference? Coulter’s invective is a sign of weak thinking and unprincipled politicking.

CPAC sponsors, the Age of Ann has passed. We, the undersigned, request that CPAC speaking invitations no longer be extended to Ann Coulter. Her words and attitude simply do too much damage.

Yes, it's spin. No, I don't believe for a second that ANY of them speak of us any differently in private than Coulter did in public.

Still, it's kinda fun to watch them try to cut the putrid cunt loose.

berto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Edwards prolly figures, "Ahhh, who cares? As long as it sounds good, and gulls enough of the fags into voting for me."

And it will probably work quite well. 'Cause, after all, Edwards is "cute" too, right? Rolling Eyes

Stupid fags.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
"I believe it is our moral responsibility to speak out against that kind of bigotry and prejudice every time we encounter it," Edwards added.

Huh. Go figure. I wonder, just as a matter of curiosity, what Mr. Edwards thinks of those who fail in this "moral responsibility"? After all, "every time" is sure a whole lot of times. I also wonder just where Mr. Edwards draws the lines around "that" kind of bigotry. What separates it from the kind of bigotry that isn't "there yet" in acknowledging that my marriage choices are as worthy as his?

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 - 03:56 AM

Shocker: Coulter Unrepentant; Edwards Makes Second Attempt To Sound Outraged

Quote:
Ms Coulter said the comment was a joke and on her Web site she carried the speech with the comment, "I'm so ashamed, I can't stop laughing." She then said Edwards' campaign chairman's main job was "fronting for Arab terrorists."

Mr Edwards, a 2008 presidential contender and the party's 2004 vice presidential candidate, called Ms Coulter's comments were "un-American and indefensible."

"The kind of hateful language she used has no place in political debate or our society at large," he wrote on his website on the weekend.

"I believe it is our moral responsibility to speak out against that kind of bigotry and prejudice every time we encounter it," Edwards added.

Feral
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 10:42 PM

Kyleovision wrote:
First, do we want to combine this thread with the one on Str8 Politics? Just a thought.

Let's see where the thread goes. It can be merged as easily later as sooner.

Kyleovision
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 02:46 PM

First, do we want to combine this thread with the one on Str8 Politics? Just a thought.

Down to business....

Quote:
I take exception with the notion that it would be a good thing for these types of slurs (or coverage of them) to "dominate" either supposed "side" of the race for the White House.

[...]

And I don't think ratcheting up the use of slurs and name-calling -- or widespread coverage of the same -- is in the best interests of our people. [Emphases mine.]

Forgive my quibbling, but the above almost makes one believe that you're deliberately comparing the name-calling itself with the news coverage of its having happened.

I'm not any happier than you are that Edwards is turning this thing into a fundraising opportunity. Hmm, supporting homophobic politicians... I dunno, guess 'I'm just not there yet.' But I'd certainly rather know when Coulter or Santorum or Dobson or Falwell or Robertson or Phelps slithers forth. I don't fault the news coverage of the slime-trail left behind after such slitherings.

Quote:
This wave of head shaking, and murmur of clucking and tutting is rich, coming from a gang of opportunists who are all on the record as opposing equal human rights for our people. None of them have any real problem with bigotry, they just don't think it's good to sound bigoted....

Oh, its far worse than that, remember? In Giulliani's and Romney case, they've actually had to disavow earlier, more moderate positions on gay rights to ramp up their bigot cred because you can't win a the Republican nomination for President without the Bigot Vote.

As for Edwards, he's just another str8 boy from the South. If he were more than that, he'd take this opportunity to put his supposedly staunch belief in gay civil rights front and center. 'This is the difference between me, and those guys,' he'd say.

He hasn't. And that says alot: that shows that there actually is no difference between him and 'those guys.'

Feral
Post subject: RE: The USA presidential election  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
at least until we get our own independent state

There are paler shades of nationalism than an independent state. Any degree of self-determination makes a vote considerably different than "strategic." For those who think themselves clever enough to navigate the nonsense that is "strategic voting" I have only this advice -- your promises delivered on up front.

As for Ms Coulter's remarks -- they are no more acceptable coming from her than they are from others. Ms Coulter's use of the word 'faggot' was arguably considerably more demeaning than Mr. Washington's. The peculiar amount of hedging going on this time around tends to support Jasmyne Cannick's analysis.

Then there's Edward's "Coulter Cash." Not from me. Not from anyone with more sense than a curbstone. Give it to GLAAD if you must. Give it to GLSEN if you will. Or don't -- spend it at a gay-owned gay bar (if you can manage to find one).

Pam Spalding has his number.

Quote:
Quote:
what does that Edwards e-release do to condemn homophobia?

Nothing. It doesn't even mention "gay," "lesbian," or "homophobia." It doesn't point out that Coulter's use of "faggot" as a slur on Edwards is also what spills from the lips of the kind of people who beat up a gay man for wearing pink pants, or murder a 72-year-old gay man by slamming him with a metal pipe.

Lesson for the Edwards camp: if you can't directly address the hate fomented by Coulter in light of the public backlash felt by Tim Hardaway and M&M Mars, you haven't progressed beyond 2004 either. All you have to do is Google a few seconds to find incidents of blatant bigotry and violence like the ones I mentioned above. That is the real price LGBT citizens pay when the new F-bomb is validated at a political conference of this size and scope.

Why say this:

Quote:
Coulter's resorting to the classic right-wing strategy of riling up hate to smear a progressive champion.

...when you can't even spend one paragraph explaining what hate is being riled up? Certainly if she had belted out "nigger," we would have seen releases go out mentioning "racism" and black people.

berto
Post subject: Coulter  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 08:48 AM

Thought I might as well start an all-purpose thread here...

I'll kick things off with some of my thoughts about this recent Ann Coulter-John Edwards "faggot flap"...

GOP candidates distance themselves from "Satan's Chambermaid", says this commentator:

Quote:
All three of the top GOP contenders distanced themselves from Ann Coulter today, including Romney who claimed he had left the room before she slurred John Edwards. Coulter for her part made things worse by saying she was joking, and would never slur gays by comparing them to John Edwards.

This is exactly the kind of coverage Democrats can only hope dominates the GOP side of the race...

I take exception with the notion that it would be a good thing for these types of slurs (or coverage of them) to "dominate" either supposed "side" of the race for the White House. But then, I'm not acting as a trained seal, barking for the Democratic party, either, I'm trying to think about what is in the best interests of the queer community. And I don't think ratcheting up the use of slurs and name-calling -- or widespread coverage of the same -- is in the best interests of our people. The use of that kind of language in the public sphere often presages a sharp jump in anti-gay violence against the wider community, and there is just no "ends justifies the means" argument that makes it okay that more of our people are hurt or killed.

And it's not as if the Democrats are covered in glory on this whole issue, either. As the commentary around the Foley affair amply demonstrated, the Democrats are just as prepared to engage in stereotyping, innuendo, smears and outright slander and lies against gay people in order to further advance their political ambitions. Hell, even people within the gay community did that -- but then, when have we ever lacked for homos who would attack and smear their own people in an effort to ingratiate themselves with the straight power structure. There are too many Roy Cohns in our history, and too many Foleys and Haggards in our present.

Meanwhile, 365 reports, Coulter is far from repentant:

Quote:
But Coulter has no intention of apologizing. "I'm so ashamed, I can't stop laughing!," she says on her website.

Then, of course, everyone lines up to pay the appropriate lip service:

Quote:
"The comments were completely inappropriate and there should be no place for such name-calling in political debate," said Rudy Giuliani.

Romney issued his statement through his spokesperson. "It was an offensive remark. Governor Romney believes all people should be treated with dignity and respect," said press aid Kevin Madden.

John McCain who did not attend CPAC, also denounced Coulter's remarks. "The comments were wildly inappropriate," said his spokesperson, Brian Jones.

While the Political Action Conference and GOP have remained silent, DNC chair Howard Dean called Coulter's remarks "hate-filled and bigoted."

This wave of head shaking, and murmur of clucking and tutting is rich, coming from a gang of opportunists who are all on the record as opposing equal human rights for our people. None of them have any real problem with bigotry, they just don't think it's good to sound bigoted -- sort of like James Dobson and Jerry Falwell shying away from open public association with the likes of Phreddy Felps.

Then there's someone who I had almost begun to think might be capable of "coming around" on the issue of equal rights (stupid me), John Edwards. In the past, Edwards has at least indicated that his mind is not made up on the issue, saying he's "not there yet", and that he was open to the possibility of altering his stance. However, none of that sober second thought was necessary for Edwards' campaign team to seize the opportunity to use the very people he's not quite prepared to conceed are worthy of equal rights:

Quote:
... John Edwards has turned the issue into what his campaign hopes is a positive. On his campaign website Edwards is calling on supporters to "help us raise $100,000 in 'Coulter Cash' this week to keep this campaign charging ahead and fight back against the politics of bigotry".

This should not surprise me at all. From the Vatican to the White House, from Stephen Harper to Robert Mugabe, it is a well-established practice to use queers and their rights as pawns in a greater game, and as tools in someone else's agenda (and yes, it IS tempting to refer to it as The Straight Agenda, if only for the satisfaction of turning that hoary old accusation back at the same bigots who use it.)

The only real difference in the crass actions of Edwards' campaign team is that they are trying to cash in on people's discomfiture over Coulter's unvarnished slurs for their own benefit, rather than the standard technique of joining in the villification of our people. Of course, when it comes to using this incident as an opportunity to pledge real, substantive changes to benefit our community -- rather than just raising cash for himself -- well, John Edwards "just isn't there, yet."

And some people (usually straight people) wonder why I agree with KT and Feral that, for queers, every vote is a "strategic vote". Well, at least until we get our own independent state, it is.

Jump to: